Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I thought the CEO guy was supposed to be a composite of Tim Apple and Musk but maybe it's a lens of whichever dunning-kruger ghoul with way too much political influence you want to see.

My favorite character was the Chris Evans cameo as the centrist celebrity.

I liked the movie but thought it was a little too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i watched benedetta for christmas. pretty good! loved the breasts. verhoevens still got it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

this wheel of time series is..........kinda bad? uneven performances that go from serviceable to video game FMV, goofy rear end cheap CGI, cheap-looking armor

it's like a modern 90s sci fi channel series

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

i honestly dont get why people have such ire for flat earthers as cranks go theyre pretty harmless and im having a hard time imagining what kind of apocalyptic changes they could inflict if they somehow gained any kind of meaningful political power

Everybody is an insane online nerd now and nerds can only pick on people lower down the food chain.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

flat earthers are funny as gently caress

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

i watched benedetta for christmas. pretty good! loved the breasts. verhoevens still got it

it rules + it's funny as hell when it wants to be

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Some of these streaming series look more like video game cutscenes than anything else

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

nothing like the sophisticated television of MY day

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

how long until they reboot Columbo with Josh Gad

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good soup! posted:

this wheel of time series is..........kinda bad? uneven performances that go from serviceable to video game FMV, goofy rear end cheap CGI, cheap-looking armor

it's like a modern 90s sci fi channel series

the finale made me so sad

I hope they slow things down in season 2 because it was all rushed and dumb. lil snippets of great potential weren't good enough

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

it's the biggest budget Sega CD game

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
wow the Wheel of Time finale sucked dirty balls from the back

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't Look Up was good but could have had a little more humour. I thought the brontoroc joke was exceptional

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

wow the Wheel of Time finale sucked dirty balls from the back

so you liked it?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Don't look up was depressing and funny in equal measure. And yes, the brontoroc joke was funny

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
The end of don't look up seemed pretty spot on. After doing all they could to "raise awareness" and when the end was nigh, all that was left to do was pretend everything was normal until the end came.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'll probably go back and forth on whether or not I liked Don't Look Up. If you already have a Netflix subscription, it's not the worse use of it if you want some sort of ambitious attempt at satire of the Trump/Biden era. I'm unsure if Leonardo DiCaprio is meant to be a Bernie Sanders or Dr. Fauci analogue. (The latter would make the movie worse.) It's definitely a Left Liberal movie. I'm unsure how much of the two main protagonists' actions and viewpoints the audience is still supposed to agree with by the end of the movie.

The obsession with the general who took the money for the snacks was a funny recurring gag.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Echo Chamber posted:

I'll probably go back and forth on whether or not I liked Don't Look Up. If you already have a Netflix subscription, it's not the worse use of it if you want some sort of ambitious attempt at satire of the Trump/Biden era. I'm unsure if Leonardo DiCaprio is meant to be a Bernie Sanders or Dr. Fauci analogue. (The latter would make the movie worse.) It's definitely a Left Liberal movie. I'm unsure how much of the two main protagonists' actions and viewpoints the audience is still supposed to agree with by the end of the movie.

The obsession with the general who took the money for the snacks was a funny recurring gag.
eh, i'm pretty sure "cherish the friends and family you have and make something with them in the coming end times because individuals have no power" is generally the take away of the protagonists actions at the end that i think people are more supposed to agree with

but yeah mcckay and sirota are pretty left-lib, perhaps heavily more on the lefter-side than most media-adjacent people out there, so it's about what you'd expect

e: to add, I didn't see DeCapiro as either a Sanders or Fauci analogue. I would put him more just as general IPCC-esque scientist analogue. Perhaps some Fauci-ian elements given some obvious parallel jokes with covid, but also not really.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Dec 26, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

eh, i'm pretty sure "cherish the friends and family you have and make something with them in the coming end times because individuals have no power" is generally the take away of the protagonists actions at the end that i think people are more supposed to agree with

are we? i know that was their only option at the end (and arguably, at the beginning as well), but to me it looked like they hosed up for "letting" humanity get wiped out. i thought the movie made it very clear that leo was a useless lib with no fire in his belly to do what needs to be done until it's too late. he was at the mercy of forces far more powerful than him, unequipped to deal with it

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 07:50 on Dec 26, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

i thought the movie made it very clear that leo was a useless lib with no fire in his belly to do what needs to be done until it's too late, at the mercy of forces far more powerful than him, with him unequipped to deal with them
i mean yeah he was a useless lib, but that last part kinda contradicts "doing what needed to be done" because within the superstructure of intertwined death-drive capitalism and americana political system there wasn't really anything to be done.

the only thing he could have done differently that may have worked was run straight to china day 1 before america realized they could/needed to do the thing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

i mean yeah he was a useless lib, but that last part kinda contradicts "doing what needed to be done" because within the superstructure of intertwined death-drive capitalism and americana political system there wasn't really anything to be done.

the only thing he could have done differently that may have worked was run straight to china day 1 before america realized they could/needed to do the thing.

yeah the movie showed that the US sat on it, then told other countries we had a plan, then aborted the plan without telling anyone. it's shown that the rest of the world fields an attempt that fails but it's implied they were scrambling with limited time

may the movie didn't offer an answer, i guess. it's a pretty doomer reading, but hey what are we gonna do about it? it's christmas and it's shorts weather

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

implied they were scrambling with limited time
you may have missed it but it failed and was implied that america literally bombed them (or a stuxnet type thing) to stop them from trying to divert the meteor course. i think it was a later jonah smirking line or the pres feigning oh jolly how could that have happened line. edit: no it was a scene with US military tanks in the background driving by as an explosion happens. it was only like a 1second shot so it'd be easy to miss. it also happened right in the middle of the president trumbiden's big AMERICA HOORAH rave which had to have been intentional

edit2: I talked to a tank nerd who actually was able to id the tank as likely a russian BMP-3 so i was wrong there that they were US tanks, but i still felt it was implied that it was sabotage. i also think its funnier/more realistic that it would be so i'll just stick with it, but for accuracy no they don't explicitly say it

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:12 on Dec 26, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmfao i did NOT catch that holy cow

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Jonah Hill as a simultaneous Ivanka/DonJr analog is p good

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i watched rivers edge for the first time in like 20 years

still rules

feels more poignant today

Crispin glover is a prolific scenery chewer

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
the libs didnt even try political violence

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

New matrix was pretty dece, I was hoping it would be weird and polarising and it is

It was basically a provocative sequel smashed together with a standard sequel and lots of stuff to trigger chuds
The action was bad but I liked the look of the film

In this years ranking I'd put it ahead of Dune but behind Malignant, thank you your honour

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

New matrix was pretty dece, I was hoping it would be weird and polarising and it is

It was basically a provocative sequel smashed together with a standard sequel and lots of stuff to trigger chuds
The action was bad but I liked the look of the film

In this years ranking I'd put it ahead of Dune but behind Malignant, thank you your honour

Did it retrace a lot of plot beats from the original Matrix? The trailers gave me the distinct impression that it was just a soft reboot. Neo finds out about the Matrix again and learns kung-fu. Is it necessary to re-watch the Matrix 2 and 3? Because I literally remember nothing from those films except some white guys with dreadlocks were there.

As for don’t look up, I guess it was overall pretty good. The plot beats were predictable because I have c-spam brain, but the little throwaway gags like the Silicon Valley guy sniffing her hair during the briefing and Ron Perlman shooting guns at the comet, as well as the reoccurring joke about getting charged for snacks has me dying.

It was at least partially written by David Sirota, so it is obviously about how neoliberalism will fail (failed) to stop global warming. Though there were obvious re-writes and moments of Trumpism/Covid denialism thrown into the mix.

For those who haven’t seen “The Wandering Earth” on Netflix, I recommend it as a chaser. It’s not a great movie, but it avoids the capitalist realism of “Don’t look up” because the plot is literally “Commmunism saves the world.”

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah at least that movie had (big, dumb) solutions

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

It was at least partially written by David Sirota, so it is obviously about how neoliberalism will fail (failed) to stop global warming. Though there were obvious re-writes and moments of Trumpism/Covid denialism thrown into the mix.

im definitely getting the impression that this stuff was tossed in to make the movie more palatable to liberal film critics but that they have rather paradoxically responded by saying that trumpism and covid denialism arent actually relevant anymore which is a fairly baffling take given that the democrats writ large are refusing to shut up about either of these things

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Some Guy TT posted:

im definitely getting the impression that this stuff was tossed in to make the movie more palatable to liberal film critics but that they have rather paradoxically responded by saying that trumpism and covid denialism arent actually relevant anymore which is a fairly baffling take given that the democrats writ large are refusing to shut up about either of these things

if they admit it’s relevant they’d have to acknowledge that Biden’s admin is engaging in covid denialism more effectively than Trump did, the secret is admitting it exists while denying any mitigating actions or policies you could implement

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

500 good dogs posted:

the movie is funny and good if you have even the most mild case of cspam brain and you should watch it

Ya i was surprised, worth it for meryl's trump and jonah hill's don jr alone imo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

streep and hill were a highlight

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

meryl streep was exactly as she is in every other movie, real boring and overacted.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

meryl streep was exactly as she is in every other movie, real boring and overacted.

Agreed, for this specific movie, I don't think she always overacts.

DLD was good and true. There's no salvation, folks, we're loving dead.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

mawarannahr posted:

shes a treasure....

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mawarannahr posted:

they keep calling her the greatest that poo poo is so bad

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Fuligin posted:

shes a treasure....

they should bury her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Judakel posted:

they keep calling her the greatest that poo poo is so bad

she has one role she can play and she does it the same every time and I don't think she's a good actor