Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i understood the phrase to be implying that irish people are always leaving in a rush to avoid consequences, police, debtors, their wife, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Cowslips Warren posted:

It still tears me up that my friend only receives presents at her birthday or Xmas if I send her one. Her husband of ten years just doesn't give. He WANTS and expects presents but the idea of doing anything for her is dumb, to him.

Christ. She should get him a loving divorce or something then. What an arse.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

AceClown posted:

I thought an irish goodbye was when you say you're leaving then spend hours dragging it out by chatting poo poo with everyone you're saying goodbye to

Tried to find a relevant source:

https://www.dailyedge.ie/irish-goodbye-origins-2207818-Jul2015/

quote:

EVER SLIPPED OUT of a nightclub or a party without telling any of your mates? You just did the ‘Irish goodbye’, friend.

Urban Dictionary defines the Irish goodbye as “leaving quietly out the side door of a party or bar without saying goodbye to anyone”, most likely because you’re too drunk to stay there.

There's more in the link too.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Jesus. Three quarters of my family is gay, and I'm non binary, and despite my incredible anxiety about coming out about my gender identity everyone has been super supportive, and reading about people's homophobic families fills me with weird guilt because why the hell do I deserve any of this.

LookListen posted:

This why you start by scritching their chest, because they have bones there so it's not as squishy and vulnerable and it's an easy switch from under the chin, and then you move down towards the belly until they roll over or give you a warning shot. Do that every time and eventually you earn the free pass to skip that and go directly in for it every time!

This is indeed the trick to petting cat bellies, or at least finding out if the cat in question is comfortable with it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Yeah, uh...Irish people, famous for not talking?! Theyve got a whole stone about it and everything.

Yes, this is why the Irish goodbye exists. There are many people who will just not accept that you won't have 'just one more drink' or that you actually have somewhere else to be (especially if it's just home or bed). When there's more than one of these people at the party you're trying to escape from, oftentimes the easiest solution is to just leave out the back door or through a window or something like that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

RoboRodent posted:

Jesus. Three quarters of my family is gay, and I'm non binary, and despite my incredible anxiety about coming out about my gender identity everyone has been super supportive, and reading about people's homophobic families fills me with weird guilt because why the hell do I deserve any of this.

It’s real basic human respect. Everyone is deserving of that.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
love is not something to worry about whether or not you deserve it, it is something to be relished, to be indulged in and enjoyed for as much as you can, to be drunk deeply and fully while you have it, as its presence will nourish and sustain you and create more love within you that you can then sustain others with

there is no deserving or not with love, there just is or isn't. if you have it, treasure it now, as it's a transient thing, it moves and has its own shape, and if you want it to stick around you have to tend it and raise it up

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for gifting my boyfriend things I got for free/made myself and not something with my own money?

Gifts you seond money on are the only real gifts.

It cost me money to make the candles, doesn't that count?

Of course it doesn't because you didn't buy the candles from a store.

Your Switch was free so I guess that also isn't a real gift.

Now hold on now, let's not get hasty. The Switch is a real gift even though you didn't spend money on it because

Those candles are an awesome gift and this dude is a selfish, self-centered child. Its only been 10 months so she should make a special breakup candle that smells like human poo poo and burnt hair that she lights and hides in his house before leaving.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for gifting my boyfriend things I got for free/made myself and not something with my own money?

The Switch cost money because she could have kept it, or sold it, or shove it up his rear end for a nominal fee.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We have breakup candles, they're called sticks of dynamite

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Armitag3 posted:

The Switch cost money because she could have kept it, or sold it, or shove it up his rear end for a nominal fee.

Ah, the ol' switch shitter

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

greazeball posted:

Yes, this is why the Irish goodbye exists. There are many people who will just not accept that you won't have 'just one more drink' or that you actually have somewhere else to be (especially if it's just home or bed). When there's more than one of these people at the party you're trying to escape from, oftentimes the easiest solution is to just leave out the back door or through a window or something like that.

I've never heard it as an Irish Goodbye, but instead as a French Exit.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

happy 300 pages everyone. let's hope the next 300 are even more bloodthirsty

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My father decided one way to scare the gay out of me was to inform me that homosexual men that have anal sex for too long eventually lose all muscle control in their assholes and therefore have to wear buttplugs for the rest of their lives. To this day I don't know if he was that loving stupid or he thought I was that loving stupid.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My father decided one way to scare the gay out of me was to inform me that homosexual men that have anal sex for too long eventually lose all muscle control in their assholes and therefore have to wear buttplugs for the rest of their lives. To this day I don't know if he was that loving stupid or he thought I was that loving stupid.

does this mean i can take this buttplug out

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I heard this from my high school AP biology teacher.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

ElHuevoGrande posted:

I heard this from my high school AP biology teacher.

My health teacher in high school said this as well and then acted hurt when he saw me a few years after I graduated and I told him to go gently caress himself. Too be fair me telling him to go gently caress himself was for lots of different reasons but that one always stuck out for me

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Foo Diddley posted:

does this mean i can take this buttplug out

Simon didn't say!

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Merry Christmas, can you guess what your gift is?

AITA For leaving my son outside on Christmas Eve night?

quote:

I have 4 children and I'm pretty easygoing, they don't have a lot of rules they have to abide by, it's simple, be respectful, do your chores, and for the 2 teenagers (15&16) be back before 10 pm.

My 16 year old son came home at 11 last night when the house was already locked up after missing about 10 calls from me. He knocked to get in and I just called him back and told him he could sleep in the tree house and that there were already blankets up there and hopefully this would be a lesson to stick to curfew. He was apparently on a date with someone (whom we haven't met) and didn't realize his phone was set an hour behind. To me, that's all excuses, I told him he had the rest of the night in the cubby to reset his time and we'd see him in the morning.

I opened the door at 6, nice and early and he came in and went to bed, slept until lunch time, holding his siblings up from opening their gifts because we do it all together as a family. He thanked everyone for his gifts and went back to sleep after lunch.

My husband said I completely over reacted, it was an honest mistake and he's exhausted from not being able to sleep in the tree house, he would have been able to, it was warm enough and I put enough bedding up there. Still, my husband says it was a complete AH move.

AITA?

That's right, it's child abuse. Have a holidays!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Murderion posted:

You're The Abuser

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember reading about the Hillside Stranglers, and before they were killing women, they had enslaved two and kept them as forced prostitutes. And one of them was raped and abused so badly by Angelo Bueno that he tore her sphincter muscles. The book I read was very clear that it was because he raped her so violently so many times, not because it was anal sex. She had to use tampons to not make a mess to avoid more beatings.. Kinda odd how the book was specific on that.

But it's like the idea that sex with too many men will make a woman's vagina loose, but sex with one man many times won't.

AITA for using human utensils for dog food

quote:

Throw away account because my bf loves this subreddit.

We got a dog a few months ago, and my bf saw me scooping wet food for doggo with a spoon. He said he was not sure if this was sanitary but I reassured him I hand-wash them before going in the dishwasher. He agreed it was fine and used them for dog food as well.

His mom visited and it was the first time I met her face to face. She commented that she thinks it was ‘nasty’ using our utensils for the dog food. My bf got embarrassed and agreed. I didn’t say anything and we changed subject.

Today early in the morning I forgot about it and started scooping food to feed the puppy. He comes in and gets upset, telling me I was a-hole for doing it. I got pissed off and told him to go buy a different spoon I can easily recognize and I’d use it. He said I should do it and I refused and told him I am not the one with the issue and won’t be going to the shop for this.

AITA?

I wonder if the same logic applies to blowjobs. No honey, I won't kiss you anymore, even after you wash your face, because my dick was in your mouth.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
so how long until the kid realizes that if his punishment is to be locked out then he might as well just stay out all night or sleep at a friend's house lol

(it already happened)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I think the insane part is mom being mad at the kid for ruining Christmas because he wasn't allowed back into the house and got no sleep because of this. You did this to yourself, lady.

I remember a coworker telling me about her fourteen year old son who snuck out to visit his girlfriend and got locked out. He called and knocked for close to an hour, in below freezing temperatures, before someone woke up and let him in, just as he was debating whether or not he could sleep in the family car for the night.

My coworker took the view of "well, he's already learned why this was a dumb thing to do, not sure how much more I can punish him."

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Murderion posted:

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember reading about the Hillside Stranglers, and before they were killing women, they had enslaved two and kept them as forced prostitutes. And one of them was raped and abused so badly by Angelo Bueno that he tore her sphincter muscles. The book I read was very clear that it was because he raped her so violently so many times, not because it was anal sex. She had to use tampons to not make a mess to avoid more beatings.. Kinda odd how the book was specific on that.

On the topic of locking kids out and serial killers, one of the victims of rapist and serial killer Paul Bernardo fell into his clutches because her mother locked her out of the house for staying out past curfew.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 26, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

RoboRodent posted:

I think the insane part is mom being mad at the kid for ruining Christmas because he wasn't allowed back into the house and got no sleep because of this. You did this to yourself, lady.

I remember a coworker telling me about her fourteen year old son who snuck out to visit his girlfriend and got locked out. He called and knocked for close to an hour, in below freezing temperatures, before someone woke up and let him in, just as he was debating whether or not he could sleep in the family car for the night.

My coworker took the view of "well, he's already learned why this was a dumb thing to do, not sure how much more I can punish him."

That's actually a pretty good judgment call.

As for the other post, reap, sow, etc. loving hell, the OP should have let him in, told him off in private, sent his rear end to bed, and grounded him.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The OP on their main account started aggressively arguing with anyone calling her an rear end in a top hat using some absolutely insane slippery slope arguments. Judging by the account name, the tiniest silver lining is that I'm pretty sure the OP is a Kiwi, so it was at least summer when she locked her child out of the house overnight in December.

Still absolutely loving appalling behavior though.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pleads posted:

How do you compromise with someone who insists you show no affection for your pet and would prefer if you just kept it locked away while they're around?

You don't. So long, Kyle.

I feel the same - like, I see people putting their pets in crates & even though I know they're trained & comfortable, it still seems "wrong" to me. Maybe I'm just used to having free-roaming house dogs around, though :shrug:

Mx. posted:

AITA for calling out my mom about her gift giving methods when I was a kid?

drat, mom's been hoarding some of that stuff for over 20 years? Take it to eBay or some collectors, might be able to get some decent money if the packaging is still in good shape.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 26, 2021

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mx. posted:

AITA for calling out my mom about her gift giving methods when I was a kid?

woof

Like, mint-condition 90s toys factory sealed in the box? Sell that poo poo on ebay for megabucks. Like everything else now, people with too much money have turned old toys and video games into speculative prestige assets that trade for huge amounts. A pristine, sealed copy of Mario 64 recently sold for over $1.5 million USD.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 26, 2021

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for sending my boyfriend a bill for everything I bought for him?

quote:

I’m on mobile, sorry for formatting issues.

My bf (30m) and I (27f) have been together 3 years, living together for 2. Our finances are kept separate, we have separate bills personally (cell phone, cars, subscriptions etc) and share home ones. Food purchases, dates, outings, trips and our puppy, we take turns. It’s worked for us relatively well with just a few disagreements over the first year or so. We both have money coming in and he has far more in savings than I do.

Last week, randomly, he sent me a screenshot of a list of things he had paid for over the last couple of weeks, things like, “dog food”, “grocery store”, “gas” (when he drove my car) and a couple of things we did together for dates. It totaled just under $300 He sent a text asking, “Am I going to get any of this back?” I was super confused because neither of us have ever done anything like this so I replied asking what he was talking about, he said he spent a lot of money and wanted me to repay him for it.

I sent a text asking him if everything was okay for him and he said yes but then started to get really argumentative on why I just hadn’t paid him back yet.

Here’s where I may be TA, because I had nothing better to do with myself for an hour, I went through my bank statements and made an itemized bill with everything I had spent during the same time frame. I broke it down to include just his portion of things like resturant bills but included things I had bought for the house and puppy. The total was over $500. Then I wrote him a message that said, “I’m really confused on where this came from as our relationship has never been transactional like you are asking for. I am more than happy to switch from our current way of doing things moving forward. You requested I pay you back for things you previously paid for, so here is everything I paid for in the same time frame. I would like to be repaid for some of this also, let me know what you think.”

He kind of lost it on me and said I’m being ridiculous and I have to be so dramatic. I think I’m just taking care of myself financially and not allowing myself to be taken of advantage of.

I asked a couple friends and some family and the answers are pretty divided, my mum said I should just let this go, pay him to keep life easy and just not pay for anything else for him going forward. I don’t want to have an uncomfortable, weird relationship because of money but my bf is not willing to have any other discussion until I pay him and he refuses to pay me back anything. I kinda feel like I’ve just caused my relationship to crumble. So Reddit AITA?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if she factored in the price of things like birth control. I mean, if they're going to itemize everything, maybe they have a good reason for doing it, but this seems a little weird.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I've been thinking about hasty military marriages, the ones where you mostly get married for the pay bump and ability to live outside the barracks.

Is the extra pay countered by the future alimony? You get the $2000 extra dollars a month or w/e for a few years but then you lose half of everything in the divorce and have to make monthly alimony payments. From what I have looked up it seems you will probably be paying like 20-25% or more of your total income in alimony for a period of around the same length as the marriage (unless you actually stay married for a long time, but we aren't really talking about those marriages).

According to a marine salary calculator I found, the average marine after 10 years of service will be paying like $1500/month in alimony. So like, most of that extra money ends up going to your ex in the end.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have the long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs 18 month pregnant with twins story?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Foo Diddley posted:

Check his browser history and see if he got into certain subreddits

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Foo Diddley posted:

Know what's cheaper than $300? Another dick. Or the glorious solitude of a house without an rear end in a top hat boyfriend.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
my favorite is the suggestion to "pay him to keep life easy" lol

i know a solution that's $300 easier

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Machai posted:

I've been thinking about hasty military marriages, the ones where you mostly get married for the pay bump and ability to live outside the barracks.

Is the extra pay countered by the future alimony? You get the $2000 extra dollars a month or w/e for a few years but then you lose half of everything in the divorce and have to make monthly alimony payments. From what I have looked up it seems you will probably be paying like 20-25% or more of your total income in alimony for a period of around the same length as the marriage (unless you actually stay married for a long time, but we aren't really talking about those marriages).

According to a marine salary calculator I found, the average marine after 10 years of service will be paying like $1500/month in alimony. So like, most of that extra money ends up going to your ex in the end.

When my brother was in the Marines he and another marine decided to marry to get the extra pay. They both got deployed in different locations and pretty much forgot about it until years later the other marine realized she couldn't get actually married now and had to track my brother down (he has never had any interest in a relationship with anyone so this didn't come up for him).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

B-Rock452 posted:

When my brother was in the Marines he and another marine decided to marry to get the extra pay. They both got deployed in different locations and pretty much forgot about it until years later the other marine realized she couldn't get actually married now and had to track my brother down (he has never had any interest in a relationship with anyone so this didn't come up for him).

This is a loving romcom, now WHICH ONE IS IT.

It really is hilarious the more I think of the years when people screamed about how gay marriage would ruin the "purity of marriage" and meanwhile straight people were marrying for all kinds of benefits and not for the purity of marriage.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My gf doesn't want me to talk about experiments and unnornal thoughts

quote:

My 32 mind is the one of a scientist (INTJ) and I experiment and try out certain things. If I learn something interesting, I try to learn everything about that information and go deep with my knowledge. My gf 29 (ISFJ) tells me to be normal all the time and hates it when I tell her about my thoughts on business ideas and experiments.

I talked with her about me mixing lube with Sichuan pepper and trying whether the vibrating and electrical tingling sensation of that spice also works on my genitals

If it works, I thought it might be a good business idea for a lube

After telling her that I tried it she said that she will not talk to me anymore, because I am not normal.

(another of my weird thoughts that annoyed her was using hypnosis as a narcotic for a dentist visit or for childbirth. I did not want to force it upon her, I just wanted to tell her that it is possible but just mentioning it made her upset)

I know that I am not average but I don't want to be normal. I have the idea that one cannot be normal and have above average success at the same time. My dream is to become an entrepreneur, business owner or investor. Atm I am an employee (programmer)

I know that only 5% of music composers are women and that probably all women want a safe husband and not a scientist/composer/trial and error type of guy.

Tldr Should I stop my weird way of thinking if I ever want to become a father or should I try to be myself and tell her that she needs to accept me the way I am

Anyway the plan is for to you to burst into the lube section of Walmart and loudly exclaim "WHERE IS THE LUBE WITH THAT REAL SICHUAN PEPPER TINGLE??". Meanwhile some other friends will pretend to be browsing nearby and agree that none of these lubes meet our needs. That's when I appear and offer free samples to everyone of my pepper lube and you all talk about how great it is. The GM will be so pressured by the spontaneous show of interest he'll have no choice but to sign the distribution contract I'll have prepared!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hypnosis instead of anesthetic, what an original idea that as never been tried before because surely anesthetic has existed for as long as there has been dental and surgical procedures. What a brilliant mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I have the mind of a scientist. A scientist who doesn't understand why the gently caress anything works and is also quite stupid as well