Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

StashAugustine posted:

Sun cleric; did have a party member but they weren't a tank. Did get a party together later, seems like my damage and healing is actually pretty fine even on r6 as long as things don't hit me. Didn't get any of the gear I needed from gatekeepers tho

Oh nice, glad you got some done. Greater command can be really good in some quests if you manage to get the DCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Can I get a guild invite for Xire ?

I played back at release but ffxiv queues being what they are at the moment I got suckered into reinstalling and am having a lot of fun

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Hi posted:

Can I get a guild invite for Xire ?

I played back at release but ffxiv queues being what they are at the moment I got suckered into reinstalling and am having a lot of fun

Check your mailbox

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lorem ipsum posted:

Oh nice, glad you got some done. Greater command can be really good in some quests if you manage to get the DCs.

Yeah my DCs seem to be about 75 ish atm, that seems a little low for high reapers?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah my DCs seem to be about 75 ish atm, that seems a little low for high reapers?

Kinda depends but yea something like 80-85 is more comfortable. If you are doing damage you don't necessarily need no fail on your DCs though. 75 should work a fair bit of the time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

spent like three hours loving around in twilight forge before finally making it to titan awakes and then promptly failing the raid

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

spent like three hours loving around in twilight forge before finally making it to titan awakes and then promptly failing the raid

Oh, suzera and I have run that raid a bunch. Let us know next time you need/want to run it and we can bang it out in 40 mins.

e: this is how you do the raid part: https://clips.twitch.tv/SmokyRealSkunkPunchTrees-c7R8BnFo1u1xSf7D

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 19, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

Oh, suzera and I have run that raid a bunch. Let us know next time you need/want to run it and we can bang it out in 40 mins.

e: this is how you do the raid part: https://clips.twitch.tv/SmokyRealSkunkPunchTrees-c7R8BnFo1u1xSf7D

Thanks, though if I've done the math right I should be good without it (and I don't really wanna go back if I don't have to lol.) Hoping to run raids tomorrow afternoon, especially if I can get the last bits of gear for this life I need

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
If anyone happens to log on to Argonnessen, could you send an invite to my character Daemong?

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Stonewalljack posted:

If anyone happens to log on to Argonnessen, could you send an invite to my character Daemong?

got ya

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Thanks!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
There is a bunch of stuff going on in DDO right now, so I thought i'd make a quick summary.

Hardcore
1 month left for season 5! If you have any interest at all, level 20 is a super attainable goal and gives you a dope cloak that can be claimed on any server.

Sales & Stuff
Supreme tomes (+ to all stats) are deeply discounted right now
Ravenloft, Menace of the underdark, and Shadowfell are all on sale for 99 points (100 points=1 hour of playtime) until the end of the year
The code, DDOQUESTS2021 which unlocks all the quests in the game is available until the end of the year
If you have a hankering to buy XP pots, buy the traveler's trunk instead which is in the store until ???
Currently, there is a 25% XP buff for VIPs

SSG stuff
SSG confirmed that they have hired a few devs to start work on an eventual megaserver. This is a multiyear project with a lot of hurdles.
Client and server side optimization work is apparently literally the top priority and has been for a few months

Expansion
Isle of Dread is still on track for the spring and will have a new race+iconic. My money is on Kobold Sorceror for the iconic.

Raids
After hardcore ends i'd like to try setting up a once a week raid time if anyone is interested.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 30, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i'd probably be periodically interested in raids whenever i'm up to 30 again but i'm also working nights

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

i'd probably be periodically interested in raids whenever i'm up to 30 again but i'm also working nights

Ya, I'd prob run it the same way the emerald claw guys do: invite anyone in guild that wants to come and then just fill the rest with pubbies. I honestly will likely start doing this even without goon interest but i'm down to do it at a time when someone like you is likely to be on. Again, prob a month out anyways because i'm still enjoying hardcore.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

if we get kobolds ill be a happy lady

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Lorem ipsum posted:

There is a bunch of stuff going on in DDO right now, so I thought i'd make a quick summary.

Sales & Stuff
Sharn also 75% off and Feywild 50% for dollars. Basic Sharn pack for 10bux is a pretty nice deal unless you're doing total free to play.

Also, the Traveler's Trunk seems to still exist, but the discount deal seems to be gone making buying xp potions directly better again.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 29, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

oh huh guess i should grab the +8 all abilities tome while it's <1500 points

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Recovered my oldass account, have all kinds of anniversary rewards backed up from years or something so that'll be fun to sort.

I only got a tiny bit in back then and of course forgot it all so I picked up the free quest packs (and actually threw them some bucks for the 99 uh whatever the token is called packs since it is cool to see a game like this still actively developed) and just wondering, where should I start? I have some builds in mind, certainly that newbie ranger build by strimton but wondering if I should just do whatever quests I find in front of me in the starting town? Or is there a 'nah this is way more fun for newbies here' thing?

I probably won't play really til a week or so after New year's but just wondering.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

NLJP posted:

Recovered my oldass account, have all kinds of anniversary rewards backed up from years or something so that'll be fun to sort.

I only got a tiny bit in back then and of course forgot it all so I picked up the free quest packs (and actually threw them some bucks for the 99 uh whatever the token is called packs since it is cool to see a game like this still actively developed) and just wondering, where should I start? I have some builds in mind, certainly that newbie ranger build by strimton but wondering if I should just do whatever quests I find in front of me in the starting town? Or is there a 'nah this is way more fun for newbies here' thing?

I probably won't play really til a week or so after New year's but just wondering.

There are basically 2 parallel paths for new characters. You can either do the quests in Korthos or talk to the guy in town near where you pop out from the tutorial and ask to go to the Borderlands and do the quests there. After that, you would typically go to the harbour.

e: strimtom's review of the last year with one of the SSG devs https://twitch.tv/videos/1247996242?t=6718s

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 30, 2021

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Which of the two new paths word you recommend? I take it the non travelling path is somewhat older

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

NLJP posted:

Which of the two new paths word you recommend? I take it the non travelling path is somewhat older

Yea, Korthos is the hand holdy content and borderlands assumes you know a certain amount of stuff. I usually just choose at random but i'd do the korthos content the first time though probably.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Fair enough, thanks!

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

The korthos quest line has a certain charm to it if you have never done it. The borderlands quests are fine I guess but really exist to serve as an alternative to korthos.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

think i'm ready to reincarnate but still gotta farm a half-dozen gear pieces for my next life. is taking the SWF eldritch knight build and plugging in khopeshes over KT longsword feasible?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

think i'm ready to reincarnate but still gotta farm a half-dozen gear pieces for my next life. is taking the SWF eldritch knight build and plugging in khopeshes over KT longsword feasible?

Yea, just make sure you take the exotic weapon feat instead knight's training

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Lorem ipsum posted:

Sales & Stuff
Supreme tomes (+ to all stats) are deeply discounted right now

RIP, missed it by a day. Maybe next year?

boho fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 1, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Anyone got a good gear loadout for a warforged artificer caster? That's probably going to be my life after next and I might as well put it together while leveling. Ideally using a morninglord scepter bc I've got one with a sentient jewel

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 1, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

well poo poo, appear to have lost the supreme tome i just bought on reincarnation?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Tomes apply as you level up.
https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Ability_tome

+1 and +2 bonuses will be applied at character level 1 and higher
+3 bonuses will be applied at character level 3 and higher
+4 bonuses will be applied at character level 7 and higher
+5 bonuses will be applied at character level 11 and higher
+6 bonuses will be applied at character level 15 and higher
+7 bonuses will be applied at character level 19 and higher
+8 bonuses will be applied at character level 22 and higher

So if you have no inherent bonus at level 1, then something may have went wrong. Otherwise if it's just not the full +8 that would be why.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I've got no bonus at all and don't see the feats on my sheet, though I do see some other tomes there

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

StashAugustine posted:

well poo poo, appear to have lost the supreme tome i just bought on reincarnation?

you get some of it at certain levels. i think full bonus at lvl 12?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I've got no bonus at all and don't see the feats on my sheet, though I do see some other tomes there

I've heard of this happening, you might need to file a support ticket - they will just give you a new tome.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Put in a ticket and will blame SSG every time a monster makes a save until I get a new tome :v:

Speaking of what's the breakdown of good CC spells, specifically enchantment, for eldritch knight wizard?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Put in a ticket and will blame SSG every time a monster makes a save until I get a new tome :v:

Speaking of what's the breakdown of good CC spells, specifically enchantment, for eldritch knight wizard?

S: Hold Monster, Mass
A: Greater Colour Spray, Burst of Glacial Wrath
B: Irresistible, Dance Sphere
C: Prismatic Spray
F: Charms/Dominates

Generally, wizards are spamming mass holds because it works on almost literally everything and causes the helpless status. The advantage something like greater colour spray has is that you can use illusion DCs to also cast phantasmal killer and weird. Glacial Wrath is in the same boat where it works with evocation allowing you to just do damage and also have CC.

The Ottos spells are situational. Sphere has a long cast time and Irresistible is touch range only (but makes a decent no fail panic button). Neither of these spells causes helpless.

Keep in mind that each reaper level lowers the duration of CC which effectively makes dance sphere literally useless in r10 because the duration approaches the cast time.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
A bonus for Ottos is you can precast it which is hugely helpful sometimes for pulling or things like that.

Color spray targets 3 separate saves so is probably the easiest to land. If your other CCs aren’t sticking, try it.

Prismatic ray can kill totems in Baba which a lot of people don’t know.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

maybe i'm just spoiled by playing a ranged spellcaster but this warforged EK seems not as tough as it needs to be mixing it up in melee by level 7 or so, damage is okay but if i get focused i tend to go down fast; running r1s so my self-heals aren't super great

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

maybe i'm just spoiled by playing a ranged spellcaster but this warforged EK seems not as tough as it needs to be mixing it up in melee by level 7 or so, damage is okay but if i get focused i tend to go down fast; running r1s so my self-heals aren't super great

Yea, spellcasters far outstrip melee when it comes to running quests until you get into the endgame/high reapers. If you are running R1, you should focus on getting some repair amp (~60 ramp will counteract the self-healing penalty on r1). I will say, melee does become dramatically better with good weapons and gear even at low levels. Past lives help a lot too. I'd personally be looking to use a Xuum or Sword of Shadow soon. Some of the weapons from ToEE are really good at level 7 too. Generally, i'd use Borderlands weapon->Broken Oar/Antique Axe->ToEE weapon->Sword of Shadows/Xuum->Epic Sword of Shadows->Tail of Suulo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

well getting reconstruct helped a bunch, and i assume heavy armor feat at 12 more. thinking ahead to what i want for destinies- fatesinger seems good for magic and melee but i don't really scale with sonic, draconic second would be nice for efficiency but my spellpower is kinda all over the place

e: shadowdancer might be interesting too, though i'm in heavy armor

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 5, 2022

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
Yeah EK definitely has hybrid difficulties. The only tree that specifically supports it is Draconic with the extra dice at T3 and DR bypass at T2. I have a 12 EK I’m leveling and have been trying to figure out what I want to take. I was thinking about taking the strike from Draconic, but you need to go to T4 for the juicy vortex version, and that doesn’t leave you enough points to go T5 in another tree without having past lives. Also Draconic doesn’t give any melee power. I was looking at dreadnaught; if I use the action boost from EK (gives spellpower and melee power) I could get extra stats and haste from it, plus the tree has a lot of nice stuff. I looked at Fury of the Wild, but I bet being undead reduces the healing from the tree and I’m SWF so some of the nodes are unusable. All the hybrid trees that give melee and spell power have nodes more targeted for other classes. I’m probably just going to try a ton of stuff out, but I don’t know what I’ll stick with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Yea, I mean hybrids have always been tough. You might try out shadowdancer, especially if you feel like you can work in illusion DCs. Fatesinger as you already noted is also really good. I think you basically just have to ignore the wasted force or sonic spell power in the cores. Do you need any crit or DCs at all? If you don't you can likely fit in 2 different elements worth of spellpower without too much issue.