Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
So how do they differ (in emotional and behaviour terms)?
(I'm sure physiologically they're different). Unquenchable cravings, hating yourself because you don't want to binge but you can't stop yourself, the constant calling calling calling of the stuff until you surrender. Unable to sleep because of the constant song of the stuff in the fridge. Eating until you're so swollen and in pain but still can't stop.its a nightmare. And people insisting "just one won't hurt' or all the emotional blackmail tied up in forcing home baking on you and if you say no they take it as a rejection when it's taking every ounce of willpower to say no because if you have one bite it's like knocking a hole in a dam.

I've never been an alcoholic or drug addict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

crispix posted:

i used to have awful problems with food, including really destructive eating disorders in my late teens/early 20s but it's a completely different thing from alcoholism, which i've also experienced

they're just god drat not identical :mad:

The compulsion, the lack self control, the twisted logic of reward, those things are constant in every addiction.

I would say an opiate addiction you can afford is less destructive than a food addiction, lol at comparing it to alcoholism tho, and a gambling addiction is by definition unaffordable, otherwise you are a high baller, or gambling pro (semantics I know, but addicts are good with self delusion).

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

crispix posted:

i've not experienced a drug addiction so i can't comment on that, not that that stopped that square headed bimbo oval office from flapping his gums

I don't think anyone needs lived experience of substance abuse problems to realise that "the houses of alcoholics are famously free of booze" is a dumb take

But as someone with lived experience of substance abuse problems, let me confirm it is a dumb take. One of my strongest memories of inpatient treatment was a session where staff and patients all shared our little stash rituals and the internal justifications we used for having them

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the houses of recovering alcoholics are quite often free of booze

whether it's just that he's never (knowingly) met any of the other kind or he is in fact an idiot is up for discussion

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 26, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So how do they differ (in emotional and behaviour terms)?
(I'm sure physiologically they're different). Unquenchable cravings, hating yourself because you don't want to binge but you can't stop yourself, the constant calling calling calling of the stuff until you surrender. Unable to sleep because of the constant song of the stuff in the fridge. Eating until you're so swollen and in pain but still can't stop.its a nightmare. And people insisting "just one won't hurt' or all the emotional blackmail tied up in forcing home baking on you and if you say no they take it as a rejection when it's taking every ounce of willpower to say no because if you have one bite it's like knocking a hole in a dam.

I've never been an alcoholic or drug addict.

for me, being unable to eat healthily centred around body dysmorphia. i remember feeling fat and looking at myself and seeing myself as fat, at times when i was already emaciated - the photographs i have of myself from that time are painful to look at

i abused alcohol as an ineffective means of escape from very black thoughts and it was the only way that i could get any kind of sleep of a night for a long time

they were both very different things from each other in terms of the nature and severity of their impacts, and neither of them bears any resemblance to indulging in an occasional binge, which i suspect is closer to what osman actually means

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

crispix posted:

Richard Osman opens up to Desert Island Discs about food addiction

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59769725

Done a lot of work in addiction and eating disorders and I feel I speak from a place of expertise when I say Shut the gently caress up Richard Osman.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
anyway sorry to get so angry of a boxing day happy boxing day everyone :kiddo:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Also who keeps crisps in the fridge

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If you're the kind of person who will eat or drink all of something that you have in the house, the trick is to only buy what you should eat/drink and no more at a time.

So if you'll always drink all the wine, don't buy three bottles at a time. Get one instead.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If you're not getting mad about politics with your family then get mad about it online, it's a Christmas tradition.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1475149027805175811?s=19

This has caused a lot of self described centrists to get very angry.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Gort posted:

If you're the kind of person who will eat or drink all of something that you have in the house, the trick is to only buy what you should eat/drink and no more at a time.

So if you'll always drink all the wine, don't buy three bottles at a time. Get one instead.

hope you can afford to buy smaller items which are worse value for money and have enough time to go to the supermarket every day instead of once a week

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

If you're not getting mad about politics with your family then get mad about it online, it's a Christmas tradition.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1475149027805175811?s=19

This has caused a lot of self described centrists to get very angry.

By comparison, here's Keith's mealy mouthed tribute:
https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1475047447042871304

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Sorry for the completely irrelevant question, but is there a good SA thread (or other place on the internet) for asking very basic and poorly explained DIY questions that'll get easy to follow answers? We've moved into a place that has a doorway chin up bar, and I can't figure out how to remove it, and googling "how to remove chin up bar" and similar is really not helping.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Niric posted:

Sorry for the completely irrelevant question, but is there a good SA thread (or other place on the internet) for asking very basic and poorly explained DIY questions that'll get easy to follow answers? We've moved into a place that has a doorway chin up bar, and I can't figure out how to remove it, and googling "how to remove chin up bar" and similar is really not helping.

Step 1: get buff on chin up bar

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Niric posted:

post pics here, i like solving problems like this!! :holy:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Niric posted:

The's a DIY thread in the unhelpfully named 'Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses' subforum:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944478

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

crispix posted:

post pics here, i like solving problems like this!! :holy:

The answer may well just be "pull it harder/whack it with a hammer, in which case

Skarsnik posted:

Step 1: get buff on chin up bar

:hmmyes:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

As you turn the middle bit the ends screw/push out, so turn it the other way

After you've got buff

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Niric posted:

The answer may well just be "pull it harder/whack it with a hammer, in which case

:hmmyes:

Try twisting/turning it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I reckon you twist it as well. There is no other way it was put in like that I don't think.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Most pull ups bars are of the "twist to extend them it lodges itself in the doorway" variety. See if you can twist the bits nearer to the doorway (holding the middle bits for contrast) and see if it shrinks and comes loose. Try both lefty loose and rightey tighty just in case, but leftie first

Efb

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Looks like it might be one of those ones that just fixes on by pressure, can you twist those slightly smaller end sections to screw them into the wider part & make the whole thing shorter?

Very poorly explained, but imagine this is a pull up bar:

|--====--|

The "-" sections can screw into or out of the "=" section to make it longer or shorter & jam it into a doorframe (on some designs)

For real tho, get buff on the pull up bar

E:

therattle posted:

Try twisting/turning it.
Lmao I was struggling to think how to explain it, feeling very silly over here. I teach for a living, smdh

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 26, 2021

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Yeah that screws out like a curtain rod

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If my new place came with a literal doorway to buffness I'd grab it with both hands

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Skarsnik posted:

If my new place came with a literal doorway to buffness I'd grab it with both hands
:hmmyes: that is how they are used

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

As you turn the middle bit the ends screw/push out, so turn it the other way

After you've got buff

The middle bit turns freely; there's no resistance when turning it in either direction so it doesn't seem like it's tightening/untightening. There's a small hole that runs through the middle, is there supposed to be a pin or something in here?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Try putting a small screwdriver in, twist it round to see if there's a hole on the inside somewhere so you can lock it into place & screw the ends in

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Put on twelve stone and try using it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Either that or the mechanism broke which is why it got left there..

Freely spinning middle bit does not seem optimum for pullups/buff making

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Skarsnik posted:

Freely spinning middle bit does not seem optimum for pullups/buff making

Great for a swing though.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

therattle posted:

Try twisting/turning it.

Nah I say bop it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
aye it's one of them twist to extend efforts, either try twisting it or give it a good whack with a big hammer

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i keep a sledgehammer i once used for fence posts under my bed in case any ne'erdowells break in till my place of a night

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Borrovan posted:

Looks like it might be one of those ones that just fixes on by pressure, can you twist those slightly smaller end sections to screw them into the wider part & make the whole thing shorter?

Very poorly explained, but imagine this is a pull up bar:

|--====--|

The "-" sections can screw into or out of the "=" section to make it longer or shorter & jam it into a doorframe (on some designs)

For real tho, get buff on the pull up bar

E:

Lmao I was struggling to think how to explain it, feeling very silly over here. I teach for a living, smdh

Pretty sure you're right about it being fixed by pressure rather than screws or anything. The end sections ("--" in your diagram) don't seem to screw/twist as far as I can tell, and the middle bit can slide all the way along from left to right, so doesn't seem like the end bits are screwed into the middle bit if that makes sense

Borrovan posted:

Try putting a small screwdriver in, twist it round to see if there's a hole on the inside somewhere so you can lock it into place & screw the ends in

Will try this- the hole is too small for a normal screwdriver - it's cracker screwdriver small - so might be there for a while until I remember to source something usable

Skarsnik posted:

The previous owner never cleaned the place out properly, leaving a bunch of broken stuff (including a broken washing machine, underpants, and all manner of crap in the shed including a jar full of manky yellowish liquid) so this tracks

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Small Allen key?

Failing that, hacksaw

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

i keep a sledgehammer i once used for fence posts under my bed in case any ne'erdowells break in till my place of a night

That's a kinky roleplay.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Some goons see a complex logical problem, I see another excuse to break out the angle grinder.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Success! Turns out the solution to chin up bars, as with landlords, Tories and monarchs is

crispix posted:

give it a good whack with a big hammer

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

But your buffness

:hotpickle:

e: updating the xls: 'not buff'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Niric posted:

Success! Turns out the solution to chin up bars, as with landlords, Tories, subs and monarchs is