Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm looking to have speaker wire run through the walls so that my system doesn't look so tacky. Is it just a general handyman who does that? Or do I call up some A/V company, or electrician?
You can call an electrician or a specialized AV company.

Either way, the tech is going to be cutting into your drywall, installing hookup boxes, running cable, and probably making holes through a fireblock or two. The AV company might have that all on hand *and* patch any cuts. The electrician may not patch the cuts, depending on their policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Anyone have any experience with or have heard good/bad things about Arendal speakers?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm looking to have speaker wire run through the walls so that my system doesn't look so tacky. Is it just a general handyman who does that? Or do I call up some A/V company, or electrician?

You’ll probably get the best response from a home audio or home security company. You can try looking for a low voltage electrician or a regular electrician but in my experience they’ll not want the small job or they’ll charge you a fortune to do it.

Depending on the walls running it yourself isn’t too hard.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I just got a bundle of home theater equipment for nearly free. One thing I got was a Panamax M5100-PM power conditioner. I know that power conditioners are hokey in terms of improving sound quality, but I was thinking it might be stronger than a surge protector in terms of protecting my equipment. However, the unit is at least ten years old, so is it safer to stick with a newer plain old surge protector?

Also, any advice on an itty bitty, super cheap DAC/AMP? I also got a pair of PSB Alpha Mini and a Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, would be perfect for a bedroom system. I was looking at the NuForce Icon but it's discontinued.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 26, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Thinking of getting back into a whole-rear end 5.1.2 system. I have a CSi A4 center, but am looking at the Polk XT35. Will that drown out the Onkyo SKF 4800s I have for towers?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I just got a bundle of home theater equipment for nearly free. One thing I got was a Panamax M5100-PM power conditioner. I know that power conditioners are hokey in terms of improving sound quality, but I was thinking it might be stronger than a surge protector in terms of protecting my equipment. However, the unit is at least ten years old, so is it safer to stick with a newer plain old surge protector?

Also, any advice on an itty bitty, super cheap DAC/AMP? I also got a pair of PSB Alpha Mini and a Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, would be perfect for a bedroom system. I was looking at the NuForce Icon but it's discontinued.

Just get a TPA3116 amp with USB in from AliExpress if you want super cheap. Sound quality is good enough for most people. Something like https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLhR9HI

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah that looks not too bad although something with a housing would probably be good if it's going to be on my bedside table, lol. I guess my budget is like 100.

e: also, do any of these come with a sub-out?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 29, 2021

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I have the Andrews Jones tower and center. I kinda want to replace the towers with a white bookshelf. And also have some matching rear channel

Are these equal to or better?
Jamo Studio Series S 803 Compact 5.0 Home Theater System (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JJP96NT/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_0WHMHTFKPKH0AV52PVCT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If I am looking for a decent AVR, what is out there right now? It looks like a lot of the current HDMI 2.1 AVRs are having issues. I don't have any gaming consoles other than the switch, I don't have a PC hooked up. I primarily use a FireTV 4K. Current TV is 1080p with plans for an LG OLED in the future.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

KKKLIP ART posted:

If I am looking for a decent AVR, what is out there right now? It looks like a lot of the current HDMI 2.1 AVRs are having issues. I don't have any gaming consoles other than the switch, I don't have a PC hooked up. I primarily use a FireTV 4K. Current TV is 1080p with plans for an LG OLED in the future.
The new Denon AVR-S760H and AVR-S660H are very popular in the thread.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Denon and Onkyo are the safest bets right now and they both have Costco models that are a good value if that's an option. That said most of the 2.1 features are only relevant for gaming.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
lol every time somebody asks for help picking an HDMI 2.1 receiver I have to remember that HDMI 2.1 =/= 2.1 channel

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HDMI 2.1 has no actual meaning now, according to the organization that maintains it all ports are HDMI 2.1 ports now. They really should have gone for 3 given how different it was from 2.0b.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
At least dedicated tone mapping in HDMI 2.1a sounds really nice. It's such a mess to fiddle with SDR/HDR support on every single device.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The only power 'conditioner' I use that IMO is actually worth a drat is the Furman PST-8. It actually switches off (relay) in an over-voltage event and lets you know when an over-voltage event has occurred (watermark) style. I use it on my OLED setup + some stuff in my office that isn't on my UPS.

In terms of pure strips, the Tripp-Lite model TLP1208TELTV is what I put anywhere that isn't on a UPS.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

KKKLIP ART posted:

Denon: AVR-S760H or AVR-S660H
Onkyo: NR-6100, NR-7100, TX-RZ50
Pioneer: VSX-LX105, VSX-LX305, VSX-LX505

The lower end models may will not necessarily have all 2.1 ports.
But the above receivers are all verified to work for real with all the HDMI 2.1 features anyone cares about : VRR, ALLM, 4k@120hz, QMS (unsure about this one)

The Onkyo and Pioneer are essentially the same internal guts with a different outer shell and branding and plus or minus a niche feature or two between them.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 8, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kilazar posted:

I have the Andrews Jones tower and center. I kinda want to replace the towers with a white bookshelf. And also have some matching rear channel

Jamo Studio Series S 803 Compact 5.0 Home Theater System (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JJP96NT/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_0WHMHTFKPKH0AV52PVCT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The Jamos are supposed to be quite good for their price. They aren't neutral speakers though. They are U-shaped(boosted highs and bass, mids are a bit recessed) if that is something you dislike. Give them a shot and you can always return them to amazon if they aren't as good as your current towers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kilazar posted:

I’ve been researching them as a possible gift for my parents. I don’t like that the center channel is downsized, a lot of places recommend buying the S83 for ~$120, but then you’ve got a bonus speaker that you can’t really do anything with.

I guess you could buy a second S81 and try using them as stereo or height/surround/zone 2 speakers or whatever but center channels aren’t usually really tuned for good full-range representation to begin with, and the 81’s got 4” drivers. Alternatively you could add a pair of S801 and make a small 3-channel setup in like a bedroom or office somewhere, or maybe give them as a gift.

Even if you just trash the extra speaker, $350 all-in is still an excellent deal and $100 cheaper than if you bought 803 + 801 + 83 separately

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve been researching them as a possible gift for my parents. I don’t like that the center channel is downsized, a lot of places recommend buying the S83 for ~$120, but then you’ve got a bonus speaker that you can’t really do anything with.

I guess you could buy a second S81 and try using them as stereo or height/surround/zone 2 speakers or whatever but center channels aren’t usually really tuned for good full-range representation to begin with, and the 81’s got 4” drivers. Alternatively you could add a pair of S801 and make a small 3-channel setup in like a bedroom or office somewhere, or maybe give them as a gift.

Even if you just trash the extra speaker, $350 all-in is still an excellent deal and $100 cheaper than if you bought 803 + 801 + 83 separately

Oh I don't have to buy them in the kit. I would totally be up to buying the two bookshelves and the stronger center.

Thanks for the info. I have a double kallax on their side (one on the other for height) as my "media" center. And these would look good on it since it is white.

I do have a sub, so my second question is do I lose anything going from the towers to ear level bookshelf? I have the towers set to 80.

Oh also has anyone used
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_946SNDPATH/SVS-SoundPath.html

I would love if I could make my sub wireless without running wires. My optimal sub position is in the opposite corner of the room. And I am not running cable through the walls.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 8, 2022

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Anyone in here have any real notes on either the Polk TSi400 or the Klipsch 280F? I want to do 2 floorstanding and a center for now and was wondering if there was anyone in here who had or listened to either. Just going and listening isn't really an option because there are no local dealers, so I'd rather get a place I can return them if I hate them. Current plan is to bi-wire them with the Pioneer VSX-LX105 Elite. I just don't know if the Klipsch are $300 better, though they are deeply on sale right now.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

KKKLIP ART posted:

Anyone in here have any real notes on either the Polk TSi400 or the Klipsch 280F?

I have the 280F’s and I love them. I’m a Klipsch nerd, though, so I just like their sound a lot.

My only complaint with the 280F is is that it would be nice if they had feet of some kind. If your floor isn’t perfectly flat they’ll wobble, and because they spread the weight over the hole foot they tend to walk and are easy to nudge out of place if you have kids/pets/spouses.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I currently have a set of Polk Signature Series speakers with a pair of Dali Alteco C-1 speakers for Atmos height effects. I'm considering mounting the height speakers on the side walls instead of having them upfiring as I'm told that's the best option for a 5.1.2 system. Since the Dali speakers are black and I would rather have white speakers on the wall, I was thinking of using a pair of Polk ES15 speakers for the height effects. I'm curious if all my speakers being from the same series would have a sound benefit as well or if the height effects are always so subtle that it wouldn't really make a difference and if something like the ES15 would be overkill for the height effect speakers.

These:

Instead of these:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

I currently have a set of Polk Signature Series speakers with a pair of Dali Alteco C-1 speakers for Atmos height effects. I'm considering mounting the height speakers on the side walls instead of having them upfiring as I'm told that's the best option for a 5.1.2 system. Since the Dali speakers are black and I would rather have white speakers on the wall, I was thinking of using a pair of Polk ES15 speakers for the height effects. I'm curious if all my speakers being from the same series would have a sound benefit as well or if the height effects are always so subtle that it wouldn't really make a difference and if something like the ES15 would be overkill for the height effect speakers.

I don't think there's any sound benefit to matching the speaker brands(besides looks :v:) on the height channels. Just make sure you position the Polks properly and they will be good.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Just ordered the Klipsch 280fs and 400c center along with the Pioneed VSX-LX105. Very excited and Wednesday can’t come soon enough!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I don't think there's any sound benefit to matching the speaker brands(besides looks :v:) on the height channels. Just make sure you position the Polks properly and they will be good.

Agreed. Fronts and center, for sure, I'd use the same line from the same brand, because the audyssey or whatever will not be fully able to compensate for the different timbres and sensitivities. But for surrounds and heights, it's not going to be a problem.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Hi all, I know virtually nothing about this field and live in a small apartment, so am trying to make a decent purchase of a soundbar or something equivalent without making a mistake. I've tried to do due diligence on my own and search for soundbars but it's all greek to me and I don't want to simply click into PCGamer or some other website's #1 pick without knowing what I'm doing.

My budget is about $200-300 and I use my setup almost exclusively for gaming and sometimes Netflix. If it's something available from BestBuy all the better as I've got a good amount of holiday gift card money.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zodack posted:

My budget is about $200-300 and I use my setup almost exclusively for gaming and sometimes Netflix. If it's something available from BestBuy all the better as I've got a good amount of holiday gift card money.
If you don't need the tiny size of a soundbar you could do really well with a pair of powered stereo speakers with a remote. This is probably the best in your price range that's at Best Buy but I haven't heard them. Check out Edifier, Fluance, Aperion, Audioengine or Kanto.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah for gaming, monitors will be more better.

Try also checking refurbs and discounts from musical instrument stores for those usually under "studio gear".

You can get stupid low prices on active monitors like that.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 12, 2022

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Thank you! That's already a great help. I'll look into some of those names provided and see what we've got locally to listen to.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Speakers are out for delivery. I’ve been waiting on pins and needles all day

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah for gaming, monitors will be more better.

Try also checking refurbs and discounts from musical instrument stores for those usually under "studio gear".

You can get stupid low prices on active monitors like that.
The problem with actual good cheap studio monitors like the JBL 305P is you need a DAC + preamp for volume control. If you're interested there's DACs with a remote like the Topping E30 or SMSL SU-6.

The one feature you won't get out of speakers in your price range that might be available in a soundbar would be volume control through the TV remote using HDMI ARC. That said you will get better sound with the bigger drivers and stereo separation of bookshelf speakers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Zodack posted:

Thank you! That's already a great help. I'll look into some of those names provided and see what we've got locally to listen to.

are you looking for a tv solution or desktop?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

qirex posted:

The problem with actual good cheap studio monitors like the JBL 305P is you need a DAC + preamp for volume control. If you're interested there's DACs with a remote like the Topping E30 or SMSL SU-6.

The one feature you won't get out of speakers in your price range that might be available in a soundbar would be volume control through the TV remote using HDMI ARC. That said you will get better sound with the bigger drivers and stereo separation of bookshelf speakers.

Counterpoint there's lots of monitors and bookshelf units that have these features built in, and lots of decent DACs for cheap these days, but it is a fair point.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I got my Klipsch L/Rs and center set up, I didn't have time to go through the room calibration yet, but just jamming out to a mix of music and holy crap these things sound great even without a sub (yet).

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Ok Comboomer posted:

are you looking for a tv solution or desktop?

TV specifically, I should have clarified. My TV speakers aren't bad, honestly, but at the rate I use it for console gaming and streaming services I figure I could be doing better.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Anyone aware of alternatives to isoacoustics gaia feet?
I don’t so much care about enhancement to audio and isolation.
I just want something that isn’t retarded spiked feet sitting inside a physically disconnected disc.
It makes moving the speakers really difficult.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 13, 2022

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

xgalaxy posted:

Anyone aware of alternatives to isoacoustics gaia feet?
I don’t so much care about enhancement to audio and isolation.
I just want something that isn’t retarded spiked feet sitting inside a physically disconnected disc.
It makes moving the speakers really difficult.

I just use sorbothane half-spheres. Pretty cheap and works fine even under my 100 lb towers.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
edit: wrong thread

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

Counterpoint there's lots of monitors and bookshelf units that have these features built in, and lots of decent DACs for cheap these days, but it is a fair point.

I know, I recommended 5 manufacturers of them in my previous post. I was talking about actual studio monitors, like the ones with individual inputs and power supplies, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

I know, I recommended 5 manufacturers of them in my previous post. I was talking about actual studio monitors, like the ones with individual inputs and power supplies, etc.

I like studio monitors, I agree that they’re a much better deal for sound+build quality vs cost than more consumer-oriented self-powered speakers.

However, I don’t love the additional risk one incurs by having two speakers with two individual amplifiers and power supplies.

I’ve been in the situation where I’ve had to replace a full monitor setup because one of the amps died and I couldn’t easily find a complementary monitor to match with the remaining survivor. It sucks to lose your speakers when one of your amps fails.

Compare that to passive speakers + a separate receiver/amp and you have some more redundancy built in, and fewer electronics to go bad.

Monitors make a ton of sense for a lot of desktop and room-scale applications, but if you’re talking about a TV setup and you have the space for speakers + a receiver, that’s always going to be my first recommendation.

Zodack posted:

TV specifically, I should have clarified. My TV speakers aren't bad, honestly, but at the rate I use it for console gaming and streaming services I figure I could be doing better.

Crutchfield (and I’m sure JBL direct sale) currently has the JBL Stage line at 30-40% off, which is a great price for those speakers.

OP could get a pair of bookshelf A130 for $200 or the smaller A120 for $150.

If their budget can stretch a bit, the floorstanding A170 are at $170 each, A180 is $240 a pop.

Pair two of those speakers with any basic 2-channel receiver, even the $100 Sony or the $150 Yamaha, and IMO you’ve got a much better and easier to use setup for a living room than repurposed nearfield monitors, and a much better sounding setup than any <$500 soundbar.