Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

500 good dogs posted:

she has one role she can play and she does it the same every time and I don't think she's a good actor

That’s like 90% of actors so I don’t know why Streep’s performance was particularly off putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

That’s like 90% of actors so I don’t know why Streep’s performance was particularly off putting.

I think it was fine i was just reacting to discussion (typically elsewhere) about her being the world's greatest actor

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Good soup! posted:

this wheel of time series is..........kinda bad? uneven performances that go from serviceable to video game FMV, goofy rear end cheap CGI, cheap-looking armor

it's like a modern 90s sci fi channel series

They've introduced so many characters and all the actors/actresses have the personality of a piece of wood.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I haven't seen the last 2 episodes but the pacing of the entire show is very off too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They've introduced so many characters and all the actors/actresses have the personality of a piece of wood.

perrin is especially dire. the best actor (mat) left the show and ruined the last two episodes in rewrites lol

i'll go ahead and lower your expectations but there are still very good parts of 7 and 8. the best scene of the season is in that stretch

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I gave up on WoT after four episodes. The lighting and grading on the show is real bad and there wasn’t a single decent acting performance, probably down to the amateurish directors.

Visually the show’s closer to dodgy BBC medieval dramas from 10-15 years ago like Merlin and Robin Hood than it is to fantasy film/tv of a comparable budget.

Rollie Fingers has issued a correction as of 20:53 on Dec 26, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It sounds like ep 8 made a ton of massive changes from the books in insanely half-assed ways, simply because showrunners have giant egos and don't want to follow whats written

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
WoT also had that goddawful post lord of the rings standard fantasy costuming where everyone was wearing a colorless bathrobe.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
meryl streep has been cruising on sophie's choice longer than most of us have been alive

edit:
the deer hunter and kramer vs kramer are legit tho

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Cruisin' on Sophie's Choice (Video 1984)
Comedy / Erotic Thriller / Psycho-biddy
The untold erotic tales of the Wehrmacht, in the tradition of Emmanuelle and Isla: She-Wolf of the SS

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

galagazombie posted:

WoT also had that goddawful post lord of the rings standard fantasy costuming where everyone was wearing a colorless bathrobe.

i thought the costuming was a lil more ostentacious than game of thrones at least. episode six is the costume episode if nobody got that far

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

smarxist posted:

meryl streep has been cruising on sophie's choice longer than most of us have been alive

edit:
the deer hunter and kramer vs kramer are legit tho

she has learned how to do impression really well. david thompson once wrote that she was cold and lacked humanity but was a very good mimic, and i agree with that. a lot of people do weird poo poo with their voices and bring humanity (both good and evil aspects of it) to their roles, but she just can't.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
frances mcdormand is a better actress than streep

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I haven't seen the last 2 episodes but the pacing of the entire show is very off too.

drat that was exactly what I was thinking too and didnt include it in my original post, everything feels way outta wack in a way that's difficult to describe and frustrating to watch

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Frances McDormand would have made a hella Lady Trump but of course all the Trump poo poo (while Hill and Streep were funny) was weak and would have been more incisive with Lady Biden

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Judakel posted:

frances mcdormand is a better actress than streep

The gently caress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fuligin posted:

The gently caress

wanna see streep do a dakotas accent

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mameluke posted:

Frances McDormand would have made a hella Lady Trump but of course all the Trump poo poo (while Hill and Streep were funny) was weak and would have been more incisive with Lady Biden

i don't think she was meant to be a direct trump analogue, just a conduit for campaign donations and enabling of profiteering

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
drat anyone know of a former president who kept trying to hide the fact they smoked?

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
Glad to see This is the End got a prequel

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the CEO is a triblend of Musk, Thiel, and (for some reason) Jordan Peterson.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the CEO is a triblend of Musk, Thiel, and (for some reason) Jordan Peterson.

yeah i got that mix, maybe a lil zuck too. he definitely had jorpvoice

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1474934430196432901?s=20

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

thank you, hideo

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

It's a film that looks up and down. Because I think we all need to stop arguing and just get along.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

i say swears online posted:

the best actor (mat) left the show and ruined the last two episodes in rewrites lol

lmao what the gently caress, one good actor in the entire cast and they got rid of him?

e: I truly think it’s a production/direction choice to have everyone suck at acting. I’ve seen Rosamund Pike be good before and she sucks poo poo in this. the only ones with any personality or charisma were Matt and the black guy with the white outfit who kills mages. the show should be about them two. and I guess the dark lord was ok in his two scenes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

lmao what the gently caress, one good actor in the entire cast and they got rid of him?

e: I truly think it’s a production/direction choice to have everyone suck at acting. I’ve seen Rosamund Pike be good before and she sucks poo poo in this. the only ones with any personality or charisma were Matt and the black guy with the white outfit who kills mages. the show should be about them two. and I guess the dark lord was ok in his two scenes

i did like the bad guy in the finale, his scenes were good

mat's actor left for unknown reasons between the first shoot and reshoots so everything is all hosed up. they cast the mat for season 2 awhile back but the editing process is jarring and the end product is a disappointment

coathat
May 21, 2007

Good soup! posted:

drat that was exactly what I was thinking too and didnt include it in my original post, everything feels way outta wack in a way that's difficult to describe and frustrating to watch

They were trying to make it an audience engagement show like Lost but they’re really bad a making a tv show.

Serf
May 5, 2011

finished "don't look up" and i think my biggest takeway is that comedies should be legally limited to no more than 100 minutes. pretty good tho despite being way too long. halfway decent as far as c-spam movies go, really got me good and depressed but still capable of finding things funny

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

coathat posted:

They were trying to make it an audience engagement show like Lost but they’re really bad a making a tv show.

yeah the "who is the dragon???" stuff was garbage

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Communist Thoughts posted:

New matrix was pretty dece, I was hoping it would be weird and polarising and it is

It was basically a provocative sequel smashed together with a standard sequel and lots of stuff to trigger chuds
The action was bad but I liked the look of the film

In this years ranking I'd put it ahead of Dune but behind Malignant, thank you your honour

i felt like the action was intentionally bad as a middle finger lol

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

literally every fight looked like this https://youtu.be/jdYEKwXucsM?t=507

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Farm Frenzy posted:

lmao

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/faultsbylies/status/1475224771210399747

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ExileGrimm/status/1473534811088334849

ancient tactical room clearing is one hell of a thing

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Farm Frenzy posted:

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
but also I wish I could go back in time.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

but also I wish I could go back in time.

same

1999 fuckin' owned

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

same

1999 fuckin' owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Xaris posted:

same

1999 fuckin' owned

*Agent Smith Voice*: The peak of your civilization...