Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

so here's the thing with raha according to the final fantasy wiki:

quote:

The Seekers of the Sun are a patriarchal culture, with each tribe centered around a breeding male or nunh whose duty is to form a harem and lead his people to glory and prosperity. Young males are born and raised as "tia", and must either assume the position of nunh by defeating the existing nunh in single combat, or leave the community to form a harem of their own.

from this we can conclude that graha tia's a socially awkward nerd, trying to form his very own harem with you in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

blatman posted:

from this we can conclude that graha tia's a socially awkward nerd, trying to form his very own harem with you in it

The Eorzean Phrenologist has logged on.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

blatman posted:

Tell us more about how culture is biologically determined

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Having done enough tanking for both the launch EXs to be able to do the fights in my sleep and also tried out healing ex1 as a SCH, I'd say they're probably the most fun I've had with launch EXs in a while. Helps that JP DF is pretty competent, I've only had one or two failed runs out of 20+ between the two of them.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Looks like the zone 6 fate boss spawned about 30 minutes after I went to bed.

:supaburn:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The Eorzean Phrenologist has logged on.

Captain Oblivious posted:

oh come on yall

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Badger of Basra posted:

oh come on yall

those posts own actually because I can't tell if they're serious or if they're the same level of shitpost that mine was

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

blatman posted:

those posts own actually because I can't tell if they're serious or if they're the same level of shitpost that mine was

I want to know G’raha Tia’s haplogroup

Go full Measurehead on me

Who is the ham sandwich

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I want to know G’raha Tia’s haplogroup

Go full Measurehead on me

Who is the ham sandwich

I think i'm too far divorced from your experiences and social groups to understand this post, I apologize for not being able to adequately contribute to this conversation any more than I already have

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Y'shtola addresses this in 5.3, saying that G'raha as the master of the Crystal Tower is kinda already a nuhn.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Y'shtola addresses this in 5.3, saying that G'raha as the master of the Crystal Tower is kinda already a nuhn.

what could be more nuhn than owning a giant crystal dildo

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I've said something similar before, but G'raha is a great character...if you really like him. Towards the end of EW he's really cloying and pushy to me, but I've never been huge g'raha fan.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People talk about these starting cutscenes from new-basic FF14 being important later, is that really true or is it just like "hey I remember that" callbacks?

because these 10 minute cutscenes in limsa lominsa are really dragging.

cheetah7071 posted:

Declaring completely ordinary characters waifus is thus, very bad

I have never seen it be a descriptor of a character instead of someone's feelings towards them outside of like, SA and 4chan IE places mostly filled with weird aging millennials anyways.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 26, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Not every cutscene, but the game's pretty good about setting up stuff it will expand upon or utilize later.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

How Wonderful! posted:

I play a lalafell so I don't really parse anybody as being attracted to the WoL. I guess a lot of it is probably based on your own character's body language and stuff, because I read, say, Aymeric for example as having kind of a "my younger sibling has really grown up and made me proud" type relationship to the WoL. Ditto G'raha reminds me of the professional rush of working with somebody whose work you admire or who was formative to you earlier in your career-- a little overawed but trying to keep on his toes and make a good impression.

Yeah, that's how he always came across to me. He's just really excited to be there, probably because he has the memory of being stuck in a tower for a hundred years while everyone else got to go off and have adventures.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
As soon as I read the mechanics for P4 I felt like the dumbest person alive. Very fun fight!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My group was all blind and vastly overcomplicating the fight, like using the lightning bolt to strike the boss, which worked because we were all in that corner, or having the water knockback push us through the water spout, which again worked because we were knocked back safely. I also didn't realize the walls were instant death right away, wondering what mechanics I hosed up to kill me.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

How Wonderful! posted:

I play a lalafell so I don't really parse anybody as being attracted to the WoL. I guess a lot of it is probably based on your own character's body language and stuff, because I read, say, Aymeric for example as having kind of a "my younger sibling has really grown up and made me proud" type relationship to the WoL. Ditto G'raha reminds me of the professional rush of working with somebody whose work you admire or who was formative to you earlier in your career-- a little overawed but trying to keep on his toes and make a good impression.
Strange but true, non-lalafell people in-universe are attracted to lalafell - one of the most explicit times is a Stormblood sidequest where you help play matchmaker for a highlander lady and her lalafellin hero, but there's the couple in the CUL HW quests, too.
Also if anything I have to be proud of l'il bro Aymeric for finally finding something constructive to do, even if he still can't help but be a weirdo. :colbert:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I want them to add a limited job, Purple Mage, where all the abilities are named after Prince songs.

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything in the thread or EW but the though just sprouted in my brain and I must excise it by sharing it here.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Eimi posted:

G'raha went from 'Oh he's into the WoL' to insanely clingy and I got uncomfortable with him this expansion. Like I needed to carry a spray bottle whenever he was onscreen.

I agree, but I think that's just how catboys in XIV are. The whole Seeker society is based around the guys I charge being thirsty and making harems while the younger guys are like "Mom said it's my turn to be the harem lord" and try to supplant themselves at the top of the hierarchy, if I'm not mistaken. Someone apparently said all of this. This is why you read the whole thread before responding. :v:

Anyway, my point is that G'raha's thirst could drain the Source (Norvrandt).

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 26, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

I want them to add a limited job, Purple Mage, where all the abilities are named after Prince songs.

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything in the thread or EW but the though just sprouted in my brain and I must excise it by sharing it here.

this will never happen because koji didn't even name pixies quests after Pixies songs like a COWARD

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yellow Mage, all the spells are Simpsons quotes

E: Superbolide Chalmers

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I agree, but I think that's just how catboys in XIV are. The whole Seeker society is based around the guys I charge being thirsty and making harems while the younger guys are like "Mom said it's my turn to be the harem lord" and try to supplant themselves at the top of the hierarchy, if I'm not mistaken. Someone apparently said all of this. This is why you read the whole thread before responding. :v:

Anyway, my point is that G'raha's thirst could drain the Source (Norvrandt).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Speaking of pixies, I know it's mentioned they're made from the souls of children or whatever, but they're not viewed as children, right? Because there's a dwarf thing where you give Tyr Beq some booze and that's really weird otherwise!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 26, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

'tia is right in his name

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He soent decades in an entire other world

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I think G'rahas problem isn't that he's a cat boy, but hundreds of years of hero worship. It's impossible for him to reign that poo poo in a little.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

'tia is right in his name

Yeah and Y'shtola has a Y in her name, does that mean shes looking for a harem to join? :v:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd assume anyone who grew up in Sharlayan is culturally more Sharlayan than anything else.

Aren't Viera supposed be like 90% female because they send their males off to live alone in the wilderness where most of them die? But the Viera living in Sharlayan are about 50/50 so presumably Nyunkrepf grabbed a tribe of them and their lifestyle changed completely once they were out of the woods.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Xun posted:

Yeah and Y'shtola has a Y in her name, does that mean shes looking for a harem to join? :v:

you realize that the letter just denotes what tribe the Sun Miqo originate from, right? Nice attempt at an own though

also i think everyone's disregarding the fact that a tia can become a nunh at any time due to societal rules. it is cultural, it is not biological stop making this loving weird!!!!!!

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

They're video game cat people.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Nice tower you have there, Tia. Compensating for something?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Speaking of pixies, I know it's mentioned they're made from the souls of children or whatever, but they're not viewed as children, right? Because there's a dwarf thing where you give Tyr Beq some booze and that's really weird otherwise!

They aren't children anymore, they're capricious dream creatures.

FuturePastNow posted:

Aren't Viera supposed be like 90% female because they send their males off to live alone in the wilderness where most of them die?

Viera have weird birth rates, the same Mi'qote do, coupled with primary sex characteristics not appearing until after puberty starts. (And before you ask, yes, this is a thing that can happen in humans IRL, and is a documented condition in the Dominican Republic.)

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 26, 2021

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Leal posted:

Nice tower you have there, Tia. Compensating for something?

laughing_catwomen.jpg

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Well you see, when a boy kobold and a girl kobold love each other very much...

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

:words: about paying through the ShB MSQ:

L73 Trial and lvl 74 MSQ: I kept expecting the Titania fight to start showing the same horror aspects their message to the zone did, but there was none of that, just your standard faery aesthetics.

Feo Ul replacing Titania as king and driving the Eulmorans outs didn’t come as a surprise. But did they plan this all along? Maybe not, the way Feo Ul said the regalia we gathered were designed to empower the successor of the fairy king once they relieve the old one of their functions makes it seem like kingship has a negative effect on the ruler and that they inevitably need to be removed at some point.

Rak’tika is a nice zone, like a Black Shroud do over, but better designed and more atmospheric. They do that with several of the AAR zones actually, Ahm Aereng is a better desert than Thanalan and the white cliffs of Kholusia are reminiscent of those of La Noscea. That’s probably a deliberate design choice to show the First and the Source being facets of the same sundered world, but it provides an interesting contrast in design maturity within the same game.

I’m not sure I’m getting some of the geometry of the zone, though. In the Viera village, we suddenly go from solid ground, level with the rest of the zone, to a tree canopy, with deep pits underground from which the trees grow. Maybe it will make more sense once I can fly around.

Now that we’re out of the introduction to the First and its important players, some important plotlines are emerging:

MSQ 74 and 75

* What are the effects of all the light aether the WoL is absorbing going to have on them. It felt quite convenient that we could just ignore the corrupting effect of the First’s unbalanced aether, and the explanation that it was like dealing with a primal’s death burst didn’t quite convince me since the problem on the First was described as an unbalance in one specific type of aether, while whatever energy we got from primals on the Source would have been fairly random overall. Y’Shtola mistaking the WoL for a Lightwarden was quite telling in that regard, that we’re just absorbing the aether without digesting it quickly enough.

I feel like the game is trying to raise my suspicion of the Exarch and his motives in that regard, but that was probably more effective at release than two years afterward, when his identity and persistence in the plot is quite obvious from promotional materials. Also you guys not even trying to hide it anymore.

* The Ascians’ motives and the history of the sundering of the worlds. What a contrast Solus/Emet-Selch is from the previous Ascians. His animations continue to shine in cutscenes, he’s well voiced, and his role in the story helps immensely. The previous Ascians were stuck in conversations full of oblique references and threats with the arc antagonists, who also were mostly spouting threats back at them. That never really let them show any personality at all. Emet-Selch gets to have conversations with more established characters, explain himself, exchange barbs with Y’Shtola, or just abandon us to our fates to go take a nap in the Viera forest.

I’m assuming he’s helping us partially because of the previous plot thread: a WoL lightwarden would seal the fate of the First. But there’s probably more to it than that, psychologically. The guy seemed extremely tired of it all when he was introduced, so I’m inclined to believe him when he says he could benefit from a change of approach, just something new to break the monotony of his immortality.

His reveals at the end of the 75 dungeon were deep reaching. I had noticed the wall painting during my trust run, but I didn’t expect the game to directly explain them. The implication here is that the sundering was the result of Zodiark’s defeat by Hydaelin, which I don’t remember being established. And of course the bigger reveal is that both were created like primals are, by two different factions of Ascians (where’s the other one now?). Does this mean the Echo makes its bearer immune to tempering by being a higher grade form of tempering itself? None of the Echo bearers in the game have really acted tempered though, and Hydaelin doesn’t seem to seep aether out of the world in the way a normal primal does.

For that matter, why would the Ascians’ primals be so much more perennial and powerful than the primals of the Source? There’s more to reveal here.

* By contrast, the plot thread of Eulmore’s antagonism has fallen a bit to the side. It’s a conflict that drives the plot and the movement of our party, but it would benefit from seeing more of the Eulmore side. The Exarch’s conversation with Vauthry helped a bit, but it was limited in its effectiveness by Vauthry being so over the top. He’s megalomaniacal and spoiled, but how does the rest of Eulmore’s hierarchy feel about this? The only one we see is Ran’jit, but the game hasn’t spoken of his motives besides evoking his past as the trainer of previous Minfilias.

* Finally, there’s Thancred and Minfilia’s relationship, and her evolution as a person, which continues cooking slowly in the background. I’m hopeful about this, especially after Y’Shtola’s roasting of Thancred.

I really like the 75 duty and its aftermath. My only issue is that the Eulmoran Adjutant’s voice acting is not good. They made the guy seem outright clownish, to the point it detracted from the scene.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

escape mechanism posted:

Rak’tika is a nice zone, like a Black Shroud do over, but better designed and more atmospheric. They do that with several of the AAR zones actually, Ahm Aereng is a better desert than Thanalan and the white cliffs of Kholusia are reminiscent of those of La Noscea. That’s probably a deliberate design choice to show the First and the Source being facets of the same sundered world, but it provides an interesting contrast in design maturity within the same game.

This is explicitly the case, yeah. All the zones in norvrandt are parallel to zones in eorzea. Rak’tika is the black shroud, kholusia is Vylbrand, Lakeland is Mor Dhona (and in fact I think the Crystal tower on the First is located in the same position geographically as the one on the Source)

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The geometry was originally going to be identical so they could use the work to add flying to ARR but they abandoned that idea after realising it would make it boring to explore.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

This is explicitly the case, yeah. All the zones in norvrandt are parallel to zones in eorzea. Rak’tika is the black shroud, kholusia is Vylbrand, Lakeland is Mor Dhona (and in fact I think the Crystal tower on the First is located in the same position geographically as the one on the Source)

Also Il Mheg is Coerthas, even has its own castle-on-a-precipice like Ishgard on the source (and in 1.0 coerthas was grassy plains instead of winter hell it currently is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

I can see that about Il Mheg, but Mor Dhona is such a nightmare of bad crystal textures and confusing navigation it's hard to see it in Lakeland