Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

sounds like it wont be bad for 1000 years time to roll coal to celebrate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Paradoxish posted:

People are so selfish and stupid and I loving hate it.

Yup and there's pretty much nothing you can say to these types because they have no shame to appeal to. They'll just cross their arms and smile that they're huge pieces of poo poo

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Junkiebev posted:

that Don't Look Up movie is mad depressing lmao

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I live in the Midwest where I spent my childhood winters building snow forts and walking across frozen lakes. This morning my kid asked if we could go to the state park and swim in the river and something in my brain gave way.

lmao

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This scene was legit kinda beautiful

it really was. that’s the scene that really got to me by the end.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Loucks posted:

I live in the Midwest where I spent my childhood winters building snow forts and walking across frozen lakes. This morning my kid asked if we could go to the state park and swim in the river and something in my brain gave way.

lmao

My boss is a foreigner to the region and asked me to take them ice fishing this winter and I'm like yeah.... :yeah:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Rauros posted:

the bad reviews were pretty meta, because the critics thought the movie was too dark, lmao

The movie is perfect. It's shot for shot a documentary of America on climate change lmao

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I'm on my second family xmas full of new babies and holiday cheer and eggnog, lots of eggnog, Rime and/or Ted Kaczynski for god-king, second? Do I hear a second?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RC Cola posted:

The movie is perfect. It's shot for shot a documentary of America on climate change lmao

I need to get around to watching this. I saw the initial wave of poor reviews and felt like they all had a pretty clear "this movie is making me really uncomfortable and I fundamentally disagree with it" kind of tone that was weird.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Paradoxish posted:

I need to get around to watching this. I saw the initial wave of poor reviews and felt like they all had a pretty clear "this movie is making me really uncomfortable and I fundamentally disagree with it" kind of tone that was weird.

Same poo poo happened with Planet of the Humans.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

I grew up in Maine, I only remember one Christmas that wasn’t a white Christmas.

moved back here in 2014 with my kids. my daughter commented yesterday that this was the first Christmas she had seen snow on the ground (a measly inch or two).

that was a good crack ping

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I've spent my whole life wishing for white christmas like in movies and lol

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Humans: Hell yeah, loved our tropical vacation, everything so warm! :haw:

Also Humans: What the gently caress, it's no longer so cold that our atmosphere turns solid and falls out of the sky burying everything. This sucks! :mad:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
It's no longer so cold that the atmosphere freezes and falls down giving cyclical meaning to my dumbshit little monkey life

this sucks

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Don’t Look Up generated a lot of enlightening arguments this holiday season

movie is depressing but lol, lmao, etc.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is it about climate change plot wise or is it a metaphor?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Real hurthling! posted:

is it about climate change plot wise or is it a metaphor?

metaphor. you could either look at it as directly about climate change or COVID too

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

metaphor. you could either look at it as directly about climate change or COVID too

it’s actually just about trump, because trump and his MAGA cultists are the only ones denying reality while Democrats #BelieveInScience

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i hope its about trump looking at the eclipse

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Trabisnikof posted:

it’s actually just about trump, because trump and his MAGA cultists are the only ones denying reality while Democrats #BelieveInScience

thats probably my biggest gripe about the movie (though i did really enjoy it)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

wynott dunn posted:

Don’t Look Up generated a lot of enlightening arguments this holiday season

movie is depressing but lol, lmao, etc.

fremdscham https://twitter.com/coopercooperco/status/1475204349215358980

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pobrecito posted:

The dems are also only just like throwing dumbass benefit concerts about it sooooo

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Pobrecito posted:

It was easy to see past; lets be honest, the "listen to the scientists!" Lib poo poo isn't wrong in a vacuum, its just our top scientists during covid have been poo poo so its become a joke thing to say

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trabisnikof posted:

Sirota helped write it and he definitely doesn't believe this, if it helps

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I feel like there was some Hillary-ness to the President, in the early scenes - the focus on the midterms, worries about deadlock in the house etc, before she went Full-Trump.

Did get a hearty lol at "Divest from BASH" though

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I just watched the movie a short while ago and it owned, and I completely understand the negative reviews

I don't entirely understand how that movie got greenlit

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Trabisnikof posted:

Sometimes the earth gets a little comety,

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I thought there were a few oddly pulled punches, but maybe that's the cost of DOD cooperation. Really liked it.

I felt better about the Trumpy bits by rationalizing that idiocracy would probably feel that way today too - "we are for the jobs that the comet will bring" bought them a lot of forgiveness from me though.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

blatman posted:

mckay probably has some pull since his movies have done quite well over the years

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

blatman posted:

have you read Capitalist Realism?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Trabisnikof posted:

While Streep does a really good job of being "Trumpette," the movie tars and feathers everyone. I mean, the Supreme Court nominee thing was a clear call-back to Harriet Miers from Dubya's term, the Sheriff was clearly a Joe Arpaio stand-in...

But it's very much an indictment of "enlightened liberals" as well as an excoriation of "working class rubes" who buy into the bullshit.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BIG HEADLINE posted:

While Streep does a really good job of being "Trumpette," the movie tars and feathers everyone. I mean, the Supreme Court nominee thing was a clear call-back to Harriet Miers from Dubya's term, the Sheriff was clearly a Joe Arpaio stand-in...

But it's very much an indictment of "enlightened liberals" as well as an excoriation of "working class rubes" who buy into the bullshit.

I was a little disappointed the movie didn't come up with any bought and paid-for scientists to say the comet isn't actually on a crash course/wouldn't be extinction-level, but I guess that would be too real

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

As soon as the credits rolled I was like "if this were really a stand-in for climate change the comet would be anthropogenic"

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

once u realize it’s written by a political journalist guy it all makes sense

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1471983273886711811?s=20

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I'm glad Jonah Hill lives at the end :unsmith:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I was a little disappointed the movie didn't come up with any bought and paid-for scientists to say the comet isn't actually on a crash course/wouldn't be extinction-level, but I guess that would be too real

They kinda did early on, they didn't have a scene or anything, but they were mentioned at some point. Something along the lines of, "we had our scientists look at it and we aren't so sure it's actually a problem"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Another shitlib take absolving the rich by saying it's not that they're evil, it's that they're stupid! Cope and cape. My masters wouldn't let such a thing happen to me if they just gosh darn knew better.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Another shitlib

Again, we're all crabs in the same boiling pot. Doesn't matter your political ideology.

And the movie didn't absolve the rich at all, it showcased them as shameless opportunists and implied that if the proletariat were exposed to the actual truth the world would catch on fire. Or that there'd be "trickle down" from the comet jerbs!

Seriously, did we all watch the same movie, or is this seriously some Plato Allegory of the Cave poo poo where people are just seeing what their worldview allows them to?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

the succdems are Mad, if you're still not sure if it's worth a watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Again, we're all crabs in the same boiling pot. Doesn't matter your political ideology.

And the movie didn't absolve the rich at all, it showcased them as shameless opportunists and implied that if the proletariat were exposed to the actual truth the world would catch on fire. Or that there'd be "trickle down" from the comet jerbs!

Seriously, did we all watch the same movie, or is this seriously some Plato Allegory of the Cave poo poo where people are just seeing what their worldview allows them to?

Timothy Chalamet says they're malign and Jennifer Lawrence says no it's worse than that, they're stupid - it's explicitly in the dialogue.