Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Bruceski posted:

I donno, I've got everyone except cooking to 90 and I never touch the skill. There's enough overlap that there's lots of ways to go about crafting, just depends on your preference.

OddObserver posted:

Me neither, but looking at it seems a slight upgrade to Waste Not II if you don't use high durability loss skills: 2 CP cheaper, and its turn isn't wasted if you hit stuff like veneration. Of course, I'd probably just get confused about how many turns I have left...
Manipulation and Waste Not I/II can work in tandem, rather than just using one or the other. You can do something like Reflect/Muscle Memory, Manipulation, Waste Not II, then Innovation/Veneration, which gets you back to full durability and able to use buffed Prudent Touch or Groundwork for 5 durability a pop to start with massive progress or quality/Inner Quiet gains.

Maybe there was a way to make stuff like Exarchic gear or the top level food/potions without Manipulation but that's the standard way to go for crafters I know. There's new crafted gear, food, and potions coming out on January 4 so we'll see how things shake out with the new stats and skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

So I'm leveling Summoner, and I'm not wrong to understand Summon Phoenix as actually a reduction to your DPS, right?

Like, in ShB, at level 79, you'd go Trance-Bahamut-Trance-Bahamut. Then, at 80, you'd go Bahamut-Phoenix-Bahamut-Phoenix.

But in the current design, your Trance just summons Bahamut at each activation from level 70 onwards, so at level 79 you're Bahamut-Bahamut-Bahamut-Bahamut. At 80, you're Bahamut-Phoenix-Bahamut-Phoenix instead. But that means you go from 1 Deathflare/minute to 1 Deathflare/2 minutes and therefore lose damage. Right?

Correct. You trade damage for two (not insignificant) heals. It's kind of weird and it would make more sense if you got Phoenix first from a gameplay perspective but would be difficult from a story perspective.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I know they've said they regret having the summoner story line be specifically about the abilities you're learning, because it means certain abilities have to come at certain levels no matter how much the class is reworked

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Something I found kind of odd about the final zone of Endwalker. Or, perhaps not odd, but a little unusual, I suppose?

The introduction to the dragon planet showing them as victims of unprovoked conflict painted them in a sympathetic light. But then we seem to just ignore the dragons altogether and become friends with the race that destroyed their home world! I'm not saying we should just write the Omicrons off as evil, but it was a little unusual that we were just palling around with them. Then again, dragons are notoriously stubborn, as Heavensward showed, so I guess there's no helping them if they say no! And we do at least help curb the Omicrons' violent tendencies. Or attempt to, anyway.

Alphinaud explicitly says at the Dead Ends that they're not here to judge the failings of the various civilizations, only to offer sympathy and hope. The game in general takes a very consistent line here; individuals can be judged if they show no desire to change, but in general, it assumes people want to be good people and given the chance to do so.

And notably, the dragons actually do improve a bit after the MSQ is over. More show hope for the future and a desire to reclaim it - and there's FATEs about some surviving (for a given value thereof) dragonets who very much want to survive, who you have to protect.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

WrightOfWay posted:

Correct. You trade damage for two (not insignificant) heals. It's kind of weird and it would make more sense if you got Phoenix first from a gameplay perspective but would be difficult from a story perspective.

Seems like both demi-primals should get a deathflare, but Phoenix's triggers a regen (maybe you target a friendly, who gets a regen and also releases an explosion?) while Bahamut's gives you a shield or MP or something.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Nessus posted:

Isn't that literally because they couldn't afford, at the time, to budget a second model for Alisaie?
Alphinaud, but yes (I know, Alph became more MSQ relevant sooner, but that's literally the order they were created). They needed another unique character without having resources to model another, so they twinned Alisaie.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the phoenix dps loss is insanely marginal if you actually break it down but the fact that you can see it happening if you even just read tooltips is extremely feelbad. zero idea how that got through

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

WrightOfWay posted:

OK just to make sure I'm not missing any buttons or pieces of the rotation, if I'm at 80+:

I enter combat, hit Summon Bahamut and that starts a 15 second countdown, during which Ruin III and Tri-Disaster become "Bahamut themed" and I unlock the Enkindle and Astral Flow abilities which I can use one time each during this phase.
After the countdown is over I cycle through Ifrit, Titan, and Garuda summons, each of which change up Gemshine and Precious Brilliance.
When this is over I hit Summon Phoenix and then it's back to Ruin III/Tri-Disaster and Enkindle + Astral Flow, then another Ifrit, Titan, Garuda cycle?

I was worried I was missing buttons but from trying to parse the actions list those extra attacks are either Bahamut/Phoenix's on-summon/auto-attacks or because my Enkindle changes to a different name but the ability is telling the summon to do an attack that itself has a third ability name...?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Endorph posted:

the phoenix dps loss is insanely marginal if you actually break it down but the fact that you can see it happening if you even just read tooltips is extremely feelbad. zero idea how that got through

Clearly, the should just have Revelation deal 1800 potency damage!

The old "DWT twice to summon Bahamut" always felt weird, so I understand why they changed it. Though that did make it feel great when you got firebird trance and didn't have to waste a phase on another useless DWT. Ironically, new DWT is like summoning Bahamut just without the Akh Morn, so it wouldn't be as bad as the old one.

e:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I enter combat, hit Summon Bahamut and that starts a 15 second countdown, during which Ruin III and Tri-Disaster become "Bahamut themed" and I unlock the Enkindle and Astral Flow abilities which I can use one time each during this phase.
After the countdown is over I cycle through Ifrit, Titan, and Garuda summons, each of which change up Gemshine and Precious Brilliance.
When this is over I hit Summon Phoenix and then it's back to Ruin III/Tri-Disaster and Enkindle + Astral Flow, then another Ifrit, Titan, Garuda cycle?

Summoning phoenix also refreshes Ifrit/Titan/Garuda. At 90 you barely have any time to fit in ruin IV, much less downtime with ruin III/tri-disaster. It feels really good, but since a lot of that is the egi abilities that you get at level 86, the class ends up feeling kind of anemic at lower levels.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 27, 2021

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
while we're airing our grievances with new summoner, low-level summoner feels really uninteresting visually a lot of the time, because gemshine uses the ruin i/ii/iii animation before level 72, and precious brilliance uses the outburst/tri-disaster animation before level 82, and i wish they could have done something to distinguish them more.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
That's something else that puzzles me about it, along with the fact that as far as I can tell the low-level Gemshine attacks have the exact same potency per second as on-level Ruin spam (except for the Ruby versions, which hit slightly harder on average). I don't get why they didn't A) at least recolor the animations for Ruby/Topaz/Emeral Ruin, and B) make them hit for at least 10 or 20 potency more than your regular filler spell.

I think there's actually an awkward but mercifully narrow level band in which you still have Aethercharge instead of Dreadwyrm Trance, but also have Ruin III, such that the GCD lost to activating Aethercharge is either only barely made up for or barely not made up for by the increased Potency on your five or six subsequent Ruins. Obviously, unlocking the Summon _____ attacks means it's still better to use than not, but it could stand to feel better.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Begemot posted:

Summoning phoenix also refreshes Ifrit/Titan/Garuda. At 90 you barely have any time to fit in ruin IV, much less downtime with ruin III/tri-disaster. It feels really good, but since a lot of that is the egi abilities that you get at level 86, the class ends up feeling kind of anemic at lower levels.

They mean the "Phoenix themed" Ruin and Tri-disaster like for the Bahamut phase.

And the answer is yes, that's the rotation. Astral Flow is going to pick up more abilities for Ifrit/Garuda/Titan between there and 90, but otherwise the flow of the job stays the same as at 80. At skilled play there's probably an art to picking which color of primal to use when to take advantage of when you can stand still for the few things that require it, but really it's a pretty simple job. The hardest part is hitting Carbuncle's 3% damage buff before going into a demi-primal phase that will lock out its use.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

cheetah7071 posted:

I know they've said they regret having the summoner story line be specifically about the abilities you're learning, because it means certain abilities have to come at certain levels no matter how much the class is reworked

which is weird because they kind of do this regardless? Not necessarily to the same degree, but they have this focus on keeping abilities introduced within an expansion, to that expansion. Chakra being pushed to ARR is a notable exception because it's such a new thing.

I think a lot of peoples' rough time starting the game would be evened out if they were willing to switch to one ability/trait every 3 levels or so, instead of maybe one every 5 for 1-50 then one every 2 from 50-90.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Mister Olympus posted:

I think a lot of peoples' rough time starting the game would be evened out if they were willing to switch to one ability/trait every 3 levels or so, instead of maybe one every 5 for 1-50 then one every 2 from 50-90.

It'd be helped a lot more if the ARR Rotation was available sooner. Nothing stings like waiting until level49 to get Chaos Thrust on DRG. Or 4X for your AOE. Or 64 to get your first AOE combo.

(Or maybe the perspective would be better if they just squished the ARR levels to be 1-20. Just have 1-30 be the first ten levels and then 31-50 cover the latter half.)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mister Olympus posted:

which is weird because they kind of do this regardless? Not necessarily to the same degree, but they have this focus on keeping abilities introduced within an expansion, to that expansion. Chakra being pushed to ARR is a notable exception because it's such a new thing.

Yeah, the way abilities are distributed is just... bizarre, at this point. Some jobs change their identity entirely in the process of leveling, some are basically feature complete at 50. They need to just redo all of them, for every class, and maybe rewrite the handful of lines that refer to specific things. If they can rewrite the machinist quests to get around the fact that the turret is no longer a permanent summoned pet but just a timed buff, they can handle stripping the context for the ARR job trainers too.

But I feel like that's gonna be part of the big reckoning in an expansion or two, where the MSQ becomes too long and they have to rethink a lot of the game systems. But hey, as long as the game remains popular, I guess there's no pressure for any huge changes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
does the first heavensward monk quest still have the guy promise to tell you the uses of one-ilm punch before the plot gets in the way, or was that line changed when one-ilm punch was removed from the game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Begemot posted:

Yeah, the way abilities are distributed is just... bizarre, at this point. Some jobs change their identity entirely in the process of leveling, some are basically feature complete at 50. They need to just redo all of them, for every class, and maybe rewrite the handful of lines that refer to specific things. If they can rewrite the machinist quests to get around the fact that the turret is no longer a permanent summoned pet but just a timed buff, they can handle stripping the context for the ARR job trainers too.

Is anyone leveling an AST post-6.0 because I really want to know how they get around everything involving sects and the whole Stormblood quests being all about shields lol

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

does the first heavensward monk quest still have the guy promise to tell you the uses of one-ilm punch before the plot gets in the way, or was that line changed when one-ilm punch was removed from the game

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Finally finished the MSQ. What a loving ride. Loved every moment. Even the credits are great.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Going into the 4th circle raid and having party chat be exactly what I expected it to be

Person 1: step on me daddy drac
Person 2: Dracula better have my money
Person 3: WHAT IS A MAN?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I know people have been saying that Bard is really strong at the moment, but I recently found this video by Stal (one of the bigger savage raiders who has maimed Bard since ARR) where she goes off about why she dislikes playing Bard at the moment.

https://youtu.be/wL-csJ5xOWk

Be aware that around 11 minutes is when the swears start to fly, but it is interesting hearing her opinion about the shift in the Bard playstyle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lool ill level i am not clicking a video of a hardcore savage raider who has played since arr swearing about 10 second changes to buff windows

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Endorph posted:

lool ill level i am not clicking a video of a hardcore savage raider who has played since arr swearing about 10 second changes to buff windows

Big same. Just play the game. If you don't like something, sure, go off. But I do not and cannot ever care what some random person cares about cooldown changes and I'm the one weirdo that pines for HW dragoon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I recently watched a video from Xenosys Vex (I think) ranting about how Gunbreaker is terrible now (though he does admit it's fun) because of how clunky it is to optimize and, like, I get it but even he had to admit it's still really fun and cool. And it's not like I'm ever going to be playing at a "racing for world first ultimate" level so it really doesn't affect me anyway even if he's right.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My Bard play style of push whatever buttons are lit up has not changed much

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

hey! She also complains that dying fucks up your rotation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There's a neat trick to avoid this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Most jobs have had changes that make dying gently caress up your rotation less so this is a valid complaint.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm just going dancer for this savage tier so all I have to worry about is tunnel visioning while doing dance steps, and hoping for a few potency buffs.

Speaking of, it's pretty sad given the current state of DPS parses by job when I roulette into P2 as an i565 dancer with an i560 weapon and get top damage.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

3/4 of the dps in p2 are working with brink of death debuffs for most the fight so if you can avoid the floor you're gonna rank well

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Most jobs have had changes that make dying gently caress up your rotation less so this is a valid complaint.

I mean when the other major complaint is that the timing shifts make prog/optimization a bit hard because you need to know the fight more to truly get the most out songs it's a bit weird.

It's also weird that she's mad that mage's ballad is closer to equal/even a bit weaker than Army's Paeon because she considers the former a 'main song' and the latter a 'filler song', a classification, while explained, is only extant in her own head. All 3 songs are part of the core rotation.

Also how mage's is much more fun because instead of spamming 2 buttons you spam...2 other buttons but one is bloodletter. Then a ramble about people that like nuBrd are masochists and complaining how good old bard was at AoE ("Our aoe rotation could have been so good! We were so good at dots") which seems like weird edge case poo poo

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 27, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a neat trick to avoid this.

hobbesmaster posted:

Thundarr posted:

I'm just going dancer for this savage tier so all I have to worry about is tunnel visioning while doing dance steps, and hoping for a few potency buffs.

Speaking of, it's pretty sad given the current state of DPS parses by job when I roulette into P2 as an i565 dancer with an i560 weapon and get top damage.

I got confused for a second reading all three of these posts back to back, one of you has to change

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

That's fair, Bad Dog kills a lot of people without usually killing enough people at once to cause a wipe.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

I got confused for a second reading all three of these posts back to back, one of you has to change

you could just give fracture riker to the last couple pages of posters to reset things

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What are the "star" and "parse" strats I see people mentioning in their EX89 pf groups

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

We will never stop Riker-posting.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

What are the "star" and "parse" strats I see people mentioning in their EX89 pf groups

There's a strategy people use to pad their meters for parsing where you ignore the final ( I think?) crystal and just dps the adds until the last possible second. I'm guessing it's one of those mentioned.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

I recently watched a video from Xenosys Vex (I think) ranting about how Gunbreaker is terrible now (though he does admit it's fun) because of how clunky it is to optimize and, like, I get it but even he had to admit it's still really fun and cool. And it's not like I'm ever going to be playing at a "racing for world first ultimate" level so it really doesn't affect me anyway even if he's right.
it generally feels pretty bad to learn that the better you get at a job the more obnoxiously clunky it becomes, OP.

like playing SAM in ShB was an exercise in dumb bullshit because once you learned nothing aligned well it became a game of twisting sideways to avoid leaving stuff on cooldown.

sometimes this only becomes a problem if you're going for the absolute top DPS, other times it's more immediately apparent (like NINs and Raiju being Completely hosed)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah this vtuber seems very mad about things that are either extremely margin that will affect maybe 4 BRD players and are compensated by the added damage OR brain demons they've conjured up about what the real and what's the filler part of the class.

so what I've learned is new bard seems pretty cool

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's a strategy people use to pad their meters for parsing where you ignore the final ( I think?) crystal and just dps the adds until the last possible second. I'm guessing it's one of those mentioned.

How is that...faster? The crystal do so much damage and also die so loving fast already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So actually prolonging the fight for the sake of numbers go up?