Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Okay, maybe I'm dumb but I can't actually tell from looking at abilities and the job gauge help ingame. So your DOTs aren't what triggers Repertoire anymore? What is, then? The songs say they have an 80% chance but it doesn't say if that's just on activation, or if that's every so often, or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Leraika posted:

Now that I have accomplished my dungeon-running goals, I return to leveling crafting, which I hate doing because it's boring and expensive but I feel obligated.

If all you care about is having them leveled but won't be using them, why don't you just wait for the beast tribe/custom deliveries?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The loporrits are great, always enjoyed when Livingway came in and said anything on screen cause its always fun.

Like when *minor end spoilers* She comes in after you wake up from the final battle and she's like "Oh those were cries of joy! " . Like she was full expecting you to be dead and how nonchalant she was refreshing given the gravity of the scene.

Livingway's VA is the MVP of this expansion. Just total perfection.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The weird padding thing for the EXes is mostly because of how long the transition animations take afterwards, as far as I can tell. On EX1, you'll lose close to 900dps just waiting to target again, so people are trying to pull in as much as they possibly can before the transition happens so they lose less and can start fresh for the second half of the fights. That's really the only thing I can figure's going on, anyway.

That said, it's extremely weird and very reportable if people are insisting on that for Party Finder groups. Do that poo poo with a static instead of subjecting randos to your weird hangups. If parses are really a big deal, you can absolutely still hit in the 90s just doing cat farms with usual PF strats, so anyone insisting on padding in PF is either just being an rear end or is really bad at their job in the first place.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I haven't really seen any more toxicity than usual, and I've definitely been in runs which would inspire The Anger in lesser gamers. though I admit I've only done ~40 EX runs so maybe that's too small of a sample.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Sinteres posted:

If all you care about is having them leveled but won't be using them, why don't you just wait for the beast tribe/custom deliveries?

because my doh/dol are in their 70s

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Zinkraptor posted:

Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake choosing GNB as my first tank to level to 90. That said, I don't really intend to do anything more difficult that duty finder and maybe extremes so I probably shouldn't worry about it.
You'll be fine, as ZenMaster said. When people like Stal or Xeno are complaining about how jobs play, it's at the very top level for world first clear races and such. If you like the job(s) you're playing as they are, that's great!

edit:

Mind over Matter posted:

So your DOTs aren't what triggers Repertoire anymore? What is, then? The songs say they have an 80% chance but it doesn't say if that's just on activation, or if that's every so often, or what.
I believe it's 80% chance on server tick which is every 3 seconds

edit 2!

Axel Serenity posted:

If parses are really a big deal, you can absolutely still hit in the 90s just doing cat farms with usual PF strats, so anyone insisting on padding in PF is either just being an rear end or is really bad at their job in the first place.
Yep. I got a 91 parse in 89 extreme last week even without trying to pad damage / line up post phase change burst phase on the adds. I did laugh when I changed the filter to Boss Damage because my parse goes up to 95 that way.

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 27, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Leraika posted:

because my doh/dol are in their 70s

Good reason! Shadowbringers was the first time I ever got my crafters fully leveled, and beast tribes/custom deliveries both did a huge amount of the work. Grand company deliveries are really good too though, and I've been doing some of the starred ones in Endwalker when the mats aren't too much of a pain in the rear end or the finished item isn't too expensive on the MB.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But if you do more damage your parse go up and the fight over faster. How would this pad anything?

Killing the crystals damages the adds. Keeping the last crystal alive for longer and having its death overkill the adds -- instead of the normal strategy of killing the crystals ASAP and then killing the two adds when their HP is low -- lets you do "extra" 3-target aoe damage for longer, which results in better DPS numbers. The fight is longer so by any sane metric it's bad, but if you're doing parse runs you abandoned sanity long ago.

Countblanc posted:

What are the "star" and "parse" strats I see people mentioning in their EX89 pf groups

For the chakram mechanics most PF parties place the light parties in a line between the same chakram pairs, with one party in melee range and one further away. The parties then dodge the chakrams in line, with the further party just running longer.

"Star" is an alternative positioning where you have one light party opposite of the other instead. It has the advantage that it's less movement overall, and having both parties in melee range makes the dodging less tight. It has the disadvantage that positioning at the opposite side is easier to gently caress up.

Spoilers for EW Trial 2: a youtube video of someone doing it.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Countblanc posted:

I haven't really seen any more toxicity than usual, and I've definitely been in runs which would inspire The Anger in lesser gamers. though I admit I've only done ~40 EX runs so maybe that's too small of a sample.

Most of my groups have been pretty chill. At worst, people will just quietly drop the party if it didn't meet their standards or whatever. I've never joined a parse run or anything that gives off flags, though. Usually I'll avoid anything that insists on 575 for an EX just on principle.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mind over Matter posted:

Okay, maybe I'm dumb but I can't actually tell from looking at abilities and the job gauge help ingame. So your DOTs aren't what triggers Repertoire anymore? What is, then? The songs say they have an 80% chance but it doesn't say if that's just on activation, or if that's every so often, or what.

They just tick now at that 80%. Common enough that you don't have to worry about it with enough variance that you're not just robotically pushing a button. Fantastic change, but it does make me wonder if they're going to phase out the dots completely because they're like an upkeep tax right now and pushing Iron Jaws gives you SSR chance same as anything else so the whole thing is a weird vestigial feeling part of the class now.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Potsticker posted:

They just tick now at that 80%. Common enough that you don't have to worry about it with enough variance that you're not just robotically pushing a button. Fantastic change, but it does make me wonder if they're going to phase out the dots completely because they're like an upkeep tax right now and pushing Iron Jaws gives you SSR chance same as anything else so the whole thing is a weird vestigial feeling part of the class now.

It is amusing how many dots have been phased out. BRD ones deal less damage, and there are what only three big ones left? Pld, drg, and sam.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Yeah I decided to play Bard to 90 and had a blast + would happily play it for lv90 content but the DoTs feel even less integrated into the class now than Summoner DoTs did in ShB. Like Sidewinder doesn't even scale with them any more

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Potsticker posted:

Huh, interesting. Thank you, good to know.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

You didn't you're fine, it's true of literally every single class. If it's not true for one yet, it will be in a fight to come. Most of the time it's not really a Class Design Issue as much as it is every kit is inherently limited in what it can do and fights are all unique little dances so eventually you hit something. If they weren't limited you really wouldn't have like...class design.

And usually when they do change something big about the class design they make other new fiddly bits to bump into. See: That vtuber screaming about brd filler songs being as good as main songs.

Endorph posted:

keep in mind the complaint people are leveling at gunbreaker here is that if you want to get in the top 1% of dps for the class it requires a somewhat janky and unintuitive rotation. even if you do want that the rotation can still be learned and mastered.

Fair enough! I normally don't care about being the top performing job or anything like that, it was specifically the idea that GNB is less fun to play optimally that had me worried. I'll stick with it since I'm enjoying it now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I really need to make myself do P3 and P4 tonight. I've mentioned a few times that doing group content makes me anxious, but I did P1 and P2 early last week before putting off the rest while I focused on other stuff. I don't know if I'll be redoing them regularly or if I'll just be going for the clear for now, but getting in ahead of the weekly reset seems like as good a deadline as any, even if I maybe hosed myself by making sure I'll be running it with other procrastinators. If it doesn't go well I can obviously just try again tomorrow. This is me trying to talk myself into it not being a big deal while also committing to it, so sorry if it's an overly self indulgent post!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Yeah, honestly, bard seems fine. They got a lot of quality of life changes including being affected by their own songs.

In terms of damage output, the initial parses seen all over the place and not always in great directions. Bard seems to be out performing machinist in raw dps, for example. RPR is topping charts and beating Sam by a significant margin - which seem off given RPR still brings dps buffs on top of that. Nu SUM is near the bottom of the charts, beating only the tanks and dancers, being beat soundly by rdm despite rdm having better buffs and a way better combat rez.

Like I don't think anything is fundamentally broken about any of the classes mechanically at the moment (except for DRG, I think it's a mechanical mess and I will fite you), these are all things that can be brought back in line in 6.1 pretty easily.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I feel like BRD also losing dots focus would kinda suck for people who actually like dot management. They should probably hurry up on releasing green mage or whatever to fill in this playstyle gap.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake choosing GNB as my first tank to level to 90. That said, I don't really intend to do anything more difficult that duty finder and maybe extremes so I probably shouldn't worry about it.

Yeah you really shouldn't worry about it at that level at all. Endorph and ZMB are right that the issues people are talking about really only come around if you're trying to squeeze out the best of the best DPS and really, really optimize your play. Going by what tank players at that level say, Gunbreaker gets really unintuitive if you're trying to play at that level. If you can find a video of someone doing an optimized opener or burst rotation for Gunbreaker you can see what they mean--fitting in your other oGCDs between Continuation can get really clunky, and it's worse if you need to weave in defensives while you're at it.

Anything below the level of hyper-optimization, though? It's a blast. It's also stronger defensively than it ever was in Shadowbringers with one of the more satisfying defensive buttons to press (Heart of Corundum :swoon:). And even the one tank player whose video I watched admitted that even though he thinks the job is really clunky at high levels of optimization, he still thinks it's really fun and cool.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 27, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, honestly, bard seems fine. They got a lot of quality of life changes including being affected by their own songs.

In terms of damage output, the initial parses seen all over the place and not always in great directions. Bard seems to be out performing machinist in raw dps, for example. RPR is topping charts and beating Sam by a significant margin - which seem off given RPR still brings dps buffs on top of that. Nu SUM is near the bottom of the charts, beating only the tanks and dancers, being beat soundly by rdm despite rdm having better buffs and a way better combat rez.

Like I don't think anything is fundamentally broken about any of the classes mechanically at the moment (except for DRG, I think it's a mechanical mess and I will fite you), these are all things that can be brought back in line in 6.1 pretty easily.

Squishes always bring in the need to rebalance things when they are in a live environment. We also don't know how jobs scale with gear now.

As a reaper main I just hope the nerf hammer is gentle because drat do I love this job.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Also entering God Bard Mode every 2 minutes where you have Raging Strikes + Radiant Finale + Battle Voice up and are spamming Pitch Perfects rules

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

hey! She also complains that dying fucks up your rotation.

Rotations are dumb. Just press whatever buttons aren't on cooldown.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sinteres posted:

I really need to make myself do P3 and P4 tonight. I've mentioned a few times that doing group content makes me anxious, but I did P1 and P2 early last week before putting off the rest while I focused on other stuff. I don't know if I'll be redoing them regularly or if I'll just be going for the clear for now, but getting in ahead of the weekly reset seems like as good a deadline as any, even if I maybe hosed myself by making sure I'll be running it with other procrastinators. If it doesn't go well I can obviously just try again tomorrow. This is me trying to talk myself into it not being a big deal while also committing to it, so sorry if it's an overly self indulgent post!

I'd say just jump in and do it. P4 is actually really simple mechanically, even if it may look busy at first glance. P3 has a bit more complexity but not that much. If you survived pugs in P2 you can make it the rest of the way.

Typically Monday evening is not a great time for getting your drops so unless you really have your heart set on a shirt or something I'd say to get your clears and take whichever drop you win the roll on rather than trying to farm.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Even from a more casual perspective, I can think of two things I'd like for Gunbreaker to make things a little "smoother" when I'm trying to press buttons good:

1. Make No Mercy last 25 seconds instead of 20. Can lower a potency or two to counterbalance that if necessary. Right now, it's impossible to fit your whole burst into No Mercy if you go into it with Bloodfest up, and while that might very well be intentional, it's a "feelsbad" kind of thing. It'd feel better to be able to fit it all into No Mercy even if it evens out to the same overall DPS as right now.

2. Make it so you can hold a Continuation if you do a different GCD between the Gnashing Fang GCDs. It'd still have to be replaced by the next Continuation skill if you use the next Gnashing Fang combo attack before you use it, but it'd mean if you have to weave in a defensive it's easier to still use your Continuation without clipping your GCD.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 27, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Rotations are dumb. Just press whatever buttons aren't on cooldown.

Jesus.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I'm ready for the summoner buff. Gonna be wild :cool:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

I feel like BRD also losing dots focus would kinda suck for people who actually like dot management. They should probably hurry up on releasing green mage or whatever to fill in this playstyle gap.

Yeah, this is part of it, too. Like, I feel like I would've liked to see the difference if songs still ticked off of dots, but also you had a way to spread dots. Like, make Iron Jaws do it. Then dots feel less bad in dungeon trash and also you still are interacting with them somewhat.

Or go the opposite route and just remove the dots entirely. You're not interacting with them why do they still exist?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm mostly just wary of any time a playstyle goes down the gutter. Like there's no real mobile ranged DPS with a complex rotation to fill the void that was SB MCH, the closest we have now is either NIN which is melee or maybe BLM which isn't quite as mobile (but double triplecast helps).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Is it really a dot playstyle if the only way it still exists is you have two dots and you're not doing anything interactive with them?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Eh, it was more dotty in ShB, I think they should have leaned into them more instead of detaching them from the rest of the BRD toolkit.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like my Lalafell walk because sometimes it looks like a sassy strut when cutscenes are framed right.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

central dogma posted:

I'm ready for the summoner buff. Gonna be wild :cool:

-Titan effect increased 4x in size
-Titan effect increased 4x in brightness

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thundarr posted:

I'd say just jump in and do it. P4 is actually really simple mechanically, even if it may look busy at first glance. P3 has a bit more complexity but not that much. If you survived pugs in P2 you can make it the rest of the way.

Typically Monday evening is not a great time for getting your drops so unless you really have your heart set on a shirt or something I'd say to get your clears and take whichever drop you win the roll on rather than trying to farm.

My inner Warrior of Light just nodded and did the punching my palm thing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

Eh, it was more dotty in ShB, I think they should have leaned into them more instead of detaching them from the rest of the BRD toolkit.

I agree! But they didn't so-- I'm confused why they've stayed at all. It's certainly not preserving a playstyle unless "does a dot exist at all on this job" is enough for a person.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Potsticker posted:

Is it really a dot playstyle if the only way it still exists is you have two dots and you're not doing anything interactive with them?

Yeah, IMO BLM got the interactive Dot Mechanic correct with thundercloud. Like, I don't feel like old SMN Fester really added anything over it's current implementation and keeping the damage over time spells up was basically just a rote attention check in a class that was already just layers upon layers of route attention checks.

Edit - likewise, for Shb BRD, the dot aspect as it interacted with their songs was just too random and too unreliable, as was pointed out sometimes you'd get like one hit over the duration of the song, and sometimes you'd hit several times over. It's kind of the same reasoning in my mind for why old HW Era machinist had to die. Too much of its core kit was just too unreliable. Dancer did the RNG aspects way better and it's comparatively not as huge a damage loss if you're on a cold streak on your ability procs.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 27, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

jimmydalad posted:

I know people have been saying that Bard is really strong at the moment, but I recently found this video by Stal (one of the bigger savage raiders who has maimed Bard since ARR) where she goes off about why she dislikes playing Bard at the moment.

https://youtu.be/wL-csJ5xOWk

Be aware that around 11 minutes is when the swears start to fly, but it is interesting hearing her opinion about the shift in the Bard playstyle.

20 minutes with a lot of umms and repetition and such. Here's what I'd summarise it as.

--With longer song durations and the emphasis on getting everything synced for 2min buff windows dying is very punishing if it lands at the wrong time. Both for getting back into the rotation, and Battle Voice (20% group direct hit rate) needing a song rolling to use.
--Radiant Finale requires using the songs to build charges, but using the song requires a target. Boss transitions at a bad time can require you to either clip the previous song very early or start the next one late.
--Dots aren't needed for repertoire. She liked that. Also the 3sec tick during the song ignores the last three seconds.
--Doesn't like Mage's Ballad refilling a fixed amount of cooldown rather than one charge.
--Ballad is worse (in her opinion, I haven't mathed it out) than Army's Paeon now but due to Paeon's mechanics (speed boost for a few seconds afterward, good for the burst phase) she can't move them around. Also annoyed that the Paeon phase is simple compared to the others.
--Hates the new AoE, was all-in on dot spam for bloodletter procs. Annoyed that Barrage buffs both Straight Shot and Shadowbite, but only grants Straight Shot Ready.
--Complaining that BRD can't get active support without stepping on Dancer's toes.
--6 minutes of general ranting about people being wrong on the internet and how she can't play the job she wants because it's not good right now and how other players sucks and get annoyed when she tells them they suck.

As for my own opinions...
--I agree, getting the rhythm back when dying is annoying. Not a "this job is terrible because" level of issue, but when you have 45-second songs and the rest of the skillset built around those songs rolling, something to smooth that over a bit would be nice.
--I haven't had this issue in things I do, the timers line up close enough, but I can see it. Sometimes something gets thrown off and it takes a couple of full rotations to get everything back where it's supposed to be.
--I like the change, the gulf between times we could dot and times we can't was quite severe before. Even if DPS-wise it didn't matter much (sometimes it did, sometimes not) it felt terrible. Imagine the EX1 orbs if you needed to dot them up to start doing damage? Agreed about that final three seconds of song though.
--I see this as part of getting Bard to something that can be balanced, same as disconnecting dots. If you base the job off dots, any change's power revolves around how many things can be dotted. Same with Ballad, if it always restores a charge then any balance change has to be based on the full charge.
--Paeon's boring, but oh no we have a boring part of our DPS rotation. Nobody else has to deal with that. /sarcasm
--I disliked dot spam, but AoE isn't really a progression issue anyway. Comes down to personal preference, and if everyone else is blindly AoEing in dungeons I like being able to do the same. I agree on Barrage, that's annoying.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
ShB BRD (also SMN) had real problems with things like the E8S add phase where you had to kill many low-HP adds quickly, since their ramp up was so severe. They also had a significant advantage on fights where there was extended 2-3 target cleave and they could maintain the dots for a longer period. BLM did not have the same sort of balance issues, since Thunder is much less central to their damage output.

The compromise we got for EW BRD isn't by any means perfect, but it does keep them from being feast-or-famine outliers on a lot of fights and preserves the rotation and proc aspects. It's hard to have a job lean in to dots and maintain balance, even in FF14's rigid raid structure. Squeenix seem intent on avoiding WoW's situation where specs are by design either dogshit or fantastic at particular fights and dealing with fight-specific composition requirements is a big part of raiding. I think that's fortunate: WoW's spec lottery was generally awful.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

For context on how this stuff can shift around. I really didn't like the way Samurai worked in Shadowbringers, it was clunky and prone to really bad drift if you didn't do unintuitive stuff.

It's still prone to drift if you don't do unintuitive stuff, but you can much more easily keep up in general just doing the things Samurai looks like it should do, just because drifting tsubame is pretty hard with charges and Meikyo lets you have fun moments of picking up the pace on your rotation.

It helps that Ogi Namikiri is by far the coolest button in the game, although I would like it if there was ways to press it more often than every 2 minutes.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hi, I'm new to MMOs and Bard was my first class and currently only class at 90. I started playing this year so I can't speak to any older versions of the class, but I personally think that it's much, much better than it was before. I like AOE being a real thing rather than janky DOT application that made me want to just spam Quick Nock and nothing else. I like the songs lasting longer and I like the buffs affecting myself now. The DOTs not applying to the songs anymore might seem weird but mechanically it's only an advantage. You get procs in AOE situations, and procs when bosses are in phase transitions, so I'll take a loss of "synergy" for an advantage like that.

Now, just because I think it's better doesn't mean I'm right. Well, I'm right to myself, but I can also understand where the complaints are coming from. I think that the changes make the class more fun to play. Maybe it's "weaker", but as long as it's able to be in a party that can beat hard content doesn't that not really matter? I dunno. I'm only offering my own perspective. Sometimes I regret picking up a class that really needs you to be hitting buttons frequently as all get-out, but it's helped me learn how to play this game more effectively.

Long story short, I'm having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm kinda torn on it because ShB dot management was definitely something I engaged with, but I always said "this is annoying" when doing so. I'd hate to see it go away completely but I definitely like not losing so dang much when it goes wrong.