Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Splicer posted:

I was wrong, it's just not on their site anymore. I can't find the perception bit (or rather I stopped listening because I finished the dishes) but here's it timestamped to around the start of the hilarious ghoul fight where half the party just sits around paralysed while Mearls tries to avoid TPKing their first livestream while everyone TotM's themselves into utter confusion about how many ghouls there are.
https://youtu.be/K_2iyvdF_qo?t=5600

He may have pissed his pants while this was happening it's hard to tell.

What's TotM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Theater of the Mind, I assume.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

senrath posted:

Yes

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

I believe the characters got statted up/blocks along with illustrations in Dragon or Dungeon Magazine.

I think they were available as samples in one of the character builders. Penny Arcade also did a 2009 April Fools' article with the Witchalok class.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

senrath posted:

Which, for reference, generally refers to the D&D playstyle where the GM just describes the scene and where everyone is in it, and you get to use the richness of your imagination instead of being constrained by a 5-foot square grid map. Which just means you're imagining a 5-foot square grid because that's what everything in modern editions of D&D is measured in, but it's a slightly different grid than what everyone else is picturing and someone's inevitably going to get confused about what's going on.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've played with Theater of the Mind, it just didn't pop out to me as the obvious source of this acronym. :sweatdrop:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah sorry during the D&D Next run up one of their buzz, er, phrases was how Next wasn't going to need maps like 4E did, it was going to be written for Theatre Of The Mind!!!

5e facilitates theatre of the mind by

So anyway it was funny when their first big public playtest stream went like that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, the 5E PHB and DMG talk about theater of the mind as an option while giving it zero support and having everything else assume a grid with miniatures.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GF bought me this dice https://q-workshop.com/en/glowna/1517/witcher-geralt-roachs-companion

:swoon:

edit: and says the Ciri dice are coming in later: https://q-workshop.com/en/glowna/1610/witcher-ciri-law-surprise

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 26, 2021

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, the 5E PHB and DMG talk about theater of the mind as an option while giving it zero support and having everything else assume a grid with miniatures.

Which is exactly what 3x did. They also continue the tradition of giving martial classes abilities that are completely worthless without grid combat. Like I don't think my GM is ever going to actually make the extra barbarian move speed matter, or reach weapons. Also gently caress duration for manuevers and spells listed in minutes or hours instead of scene/turns/whatever. "Oh a round is about 15 seconds so a 1 minute duration is roughly 4 rounds." Then say 4 rounds.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

3.5e very much assumed a grid and battlemap, I don't think Theater of the Mind was suggested as an option anywhere in the DMG. I don't think it was suggested in the UA either.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tibalt posted:

3.5e very much assumed a grid and battlemap, I don't think Theater of the Mind was suggested as an option anywhere in the DMG. I don't think it was suggested in the UA either.

I think it was blipped out as a potential thing in the same way any house rules are allowed, but yeah I remember the 3.5 PHB is written from the assumption of grids and mats.

Moving away from just bashing the Bad Game, I wonder what really is the best reaction to emergent gameplay stuff in a non digital game.
Like do you errata in nerfs and buffs, write clarification posts, Or just roll with it? If the players want the game to be focused on X instead of Y let's write future materials with those updated assumptions?

With older games the toothpaste was kind of out of the tube until a new edition, but with modern digital distribution for most RPGs and selling folks subscriptions to tools I think it would be easier to make adjustments.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Coolness Averted posted:

I think it was blipped out as a potential thing in the same way any house rules are allowed, but yeah I remember the 3.5 PHB is written from the assumption of grids and mats.

Moving away from just bashing the Bad Game, I wonder what really is the best reaction to emergent gameplay stuff in a non digital game.
Like do you errata in nerfs and buffs, write clarification posts, Or just roll with it? If the players want the game to be focused on X instead of Y let's write future materials with those updated assumptions?

With older games the toothpaste was kind of out of the tube until a new edition, but with modern digital distribution for most RPGs and selling folks subscriptions to tools I think it would be easier to make adjustments.

I just started reading Tasha's Cauldron for 5e and the opening section pretty much says "if you don't like the original rules, just swap them out. Or don't." With a ton of optional house rules. The solution is to make the DMs/player pay money for a new physical book that explains you can obviously house rule stuff, if the DM agrees.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
3.5e was very specifically about the battle mat, with ranges given in squares and rules like the then-infamous “darkness isn’t dark” to avoid situations that minis couldn’t represent.

3.0, on the other hand, still used feet and only made using a map a suggestion.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

5E also hides the map rules in the DMG, which sucks because I would actually like to know what the difference between a sphere and a cube is.

I don't even know if the game has rules for lines of sight.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Siivola posted:

5E also hides the map rules in the DMG, which sucks because I would actually like to know what the difference between a sphere and a cube is.

I see it on page 204 of the PHB. Am I missing something?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Don’t forget to check if a cone actually means a frustrum (5e) or a teardrop (Pathfinder)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I see it on page 204 of the PHB. Am I missing something?
Right sorry I got confused.

Yes, there are general descriptions of the AOE shapes. The specific issue here is, there's no actual rules in the PHB translating an AOE onto the battle map. Sure, a sphere starts from a point and then affects everything within its radius – but is it enough to clip the corner of a square or do you have to get it entirely within to affect a creature? What if it's a large creature? Why does the book specify the cube's point of origin is on its side when so many spells explicitly put it in the center?

Pictured: A loving useless diagram.

Edit: To be entirely honest I don't actually know if there are any more robust rules in the DMG. I'm just hoping!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Splicer posted:

I was wrong, it's just not on their site anymore. I can't find the perception bit (or rather I stopped listening because I finished the dishes) but here's it timestamped to around the start of the hilarious ghoul fight where half the party just sits around paralysed while Mearls tries to avoid TPKing their first livestream while everyone TotM's themselves into utter confusion about how many ghouls there are.
https://youtu.be/K_2iyvdF_qo?t=5600

He may have pissed his pants while this was happening it's hard to tell.

Major props, Splicer! Thank you for the links!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

But look there is a funny gnome and he explains game concepts diegetically.

IMMERSION

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Coolness Averted posted:

I think about this constantly. I think it's why a 6th Edition D&D is super far off. They'll release new PHBs, and they'll be backwards compatible, but they'll be backwards compatible with the current state of the game up through some book (like Tasha's or whatever). WotC wants games as a service.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

But look there is a funny gnome and he explains game concepts diegetically.

IMMERSION

Wizards know the shapes their spells effect, and new wizzies gotta learn somehow. Immersion maintained :colbert:

CitizenKeen posted:

I think about this constantly. I think it's why a 6th Edition D&D is super far off. They'll release new PHBs, and they'll be backwards compatible, but they'll be backwards compatible with the current state of the game up through some book (like Tasha's or whatever). WotC wants games as a service.

They could print their own money by doing what they've been outsourcing and/or getting a VTT thingie going.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Which, for reference, generally refers to the D&D playstyle where the GM just describes the scene and where everyone is in it, and you get to use the richness of your imagination instead of being constrained by a 5-foot square grid map. Which just means you're imagining a 5-foot square grid because that's what everything in modern editions of D&D is measured in, but it's a slightly different grid than what everyone else is picturing and someone's inevitably going to get confused about what's going on.

Don't forget the part where the distance between the fighter and the enemy is totally more than the fighter can move in a single round, sorry, but yeah, they're probably all in range of one fireball, sure.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Siivola posted:

The specific issue here is, there's no actual rules in the PHB translating an AOE onto the battle map.

You're looking for grid rules. The only thing the PHB has to say about grid rules is that it's a Variant and that there's some short bits about how to translate movement and ranges. Officially, it's a game designed to be run in Theater of the mind or with exact millimeter perfect maps, and Crawford's lovely tweets on the subject represent that. You are to argue inches with your DM when it comes to placing spell effects, or Attacks of Opportunity, or Moving. This is the soul of D&D according to Crawford. This is, to my speculation, not how most games are played in 2021, and probably not how most games were played in 2014, but I don't have concrete data for that.

Siivola posted:

Sure, a sphere starts from a point and then affects everything within its radius – but is it enough to clip the corner of a square or do you have to get it entirely within to affect a creature? What if it's a large creature?

"A spell’s effect expands in straight lines from the point
of origin. If no unblocked straight line extends from the
point of origin to a location within the area of effect, that
location isn’t included in the spell’s area. To block one of
these imaginary lines, an obstruction must provide total
cover, as explained in chapter 9"

If you can draw a line from the Point of Origin that intersects with the target, it's a valid target.

Siivola posted:

Pictured: A loving useless diagram.

The diagram is not made to be used in a vacuum. It's a visual reference for the entire page of AoE shape rules that accompany it.

Siivola posted:

Why does the book specify the cube's point of origin is on its side when so many spells explicitly put it in the center?

Only 1 spell in the PHB centers the cube on a point. All of the rest of them follow the standard cube rules of :
"You select a cube’s point of origin, which lies anywhere
on a face of the cubic effect. The cube’s size is expressed
as the length of each side.
A cube’s point of origin is not included in the cube’s
area of effect, unless you decide otherwise."

Right or wrong, 5Es core design also reflects the assumption that players will be playing "Mother May I" with the DM as a matter of course, at every turn. Players are not expected to have every rule available to them, and the DM is supposed to just sort of wing it and make a determination on the fly. AoE rules are a perfect example of this, with the following guidance in the DMG (among several pages of Grid/Hex rules):

"Many spells and other game features create areas of
effect, such as the cone and the sphere. If you're not
using miniatures or another visual aid, it can sometimes
be difficult to determine who's in an area of effect and
who isn't. The easiest way to address such uncertainty
is to go with your gut and make a call.

If you would like more guidance, consider using
the Targets in Areas of Effect table. To use the table,
imagine which combatants are near one another, and
let the table guide you in determining the number of
those combatants that are caught in an area of effect.
Add or subtract targets based on how bunched up the
potential targets are. Consider rolling 1d3 to determine
the amount to add or subtract."

This is consistent with other things like the official "when anyone makes a roll, the results of the roll are not known until confirmed by the DM, so when, for instance, a player/NPC rolls to attack, while the players may know their relevant stat (hit bonus/AC) and they may see the die roll, they will not know the NPC's relevant statistic (hit bonus/AC), so there's a window for reactive abilities that take place `after a die is rolled but before the outcome is revealed` where they must guess whether that's a hit/miss, based on the die facing and any context clues they've picked up, and spend resources based on that hunch".

They are largely consistent on sticking to this narrative throughout the early published works for 5E, and it's worked out, mechanically, about as well as you'd expect.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

they are doing some sort of 5.5e in 2024. whether or not it will be good is yet to be seen, signs point to "not really, but they might slightly improve some things"

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

pog boyfriend posted:

they are doing some sort of 5.5e in 2024. whether or not it will be good is yet to be seen, signs point to "not really, but they might slightly improve some things"

Right, and that's kind of what I mean. I'll wager 5.5 is mostly 5, with all the new options folded in, and some small changes that don't invalidate any math or core rules. You'll need to buy the new books but you'll still be able to use the old ones.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Well. In using my gift cards up through online shopping it seems I accidentally purchased a book that's associated with the long-running failures of Witch Girls Adventures.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Hostile V posted:

Well. In using my gift cards up through online shopping it seems I accidentally purchased a book that's associated with the long-running failures of Witch Girls Adventures.

Ah, I remember the weird crossover book they did where they started turning characters into supers and representing witches as the baddies. Of course the characters includes an expy of the author who was a super strong guy, and a Mary Sue of Abby Soto whose powers are, no joke, "she can do anything a witch can do, and can shut down the powers of witches."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

hyphz posted:

Ah, I remember the weird crossover book they did where they started turning characters into supers and representing witches as the baddies. Of course the characters includes an expy of the author who was a super strong guy, and a Mary Sue of Abby Soto whose powers are, no joke, "she can do anything a witch can do, and can shut down the powers of witches."
Yeah. This predates that by at least a decade and I guess is its technical only extant form that actually made it to print as opposed to an idea that the whole jerk collective of WGA has been trying to get into print since 2014. I just saw the cover art and thought "ten bucks? I'll gamble".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Superpunk?"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Why is it in the style of NES box art.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I don't know and I think the copy I bought actually has a hosed-up cover that looks better than it ought to.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hostile V posted:

I don't know and I think the copy I bought actually has a hosed-up cover that looks better than it ought to.

Wait what the gently caress.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Offset offset printing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Are the Witch Girls Adventures people still active? It's like the whole thing crawled into a hole and died after the Bellum Maga book failed to work as a soft reset of the fetish RP world.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Nuns with Guns posted:

Are the Witch Girls Adventures people still active? It's like the whole thing crawled into a hole and died after the Bellum Maga book failed to work as a soft reset of the fetish RP world.

Their last supplement was in 2020, since then they have just been selling rebundles of the old stuff. I doubt they ever hired an editor.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Any good post-Christmas sales anywhere?

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.

hyphz posted:

3.5e was very specifically about the battle mat, with ranges given in squares and rules like the then-infamous “darkness isn’t dark” to avoid situations that minis couldn’t represent.

I think you might be confusing 4e and 3.5e. The 3rd edition rules and their revision are more or less identical, with minor exceptions aside, and give a speed of "30 feet" for humans, unlike 4e, which gives a speed of 6 squares. It has quirks like the spell called darkness setting the light level to dim light regardless of prior conditions (bright light or total darkness) to remain distinct from the higher-level deeper darkness spell, but the rules underlying light and dark mostly work intuitively.

For that matter, 4e had something resembling 3e's light rules as well.

Torches Upon Stars fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 27, 2021

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Honestly, 3.5e had plenty of stuff that just didn't work unless you were using board with a grid. Like, if you were going "theater of the mind," 50% of all Fighter feats were useless because they were all about zones of control and etc. that are hard to represent and keep track of without a grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any good post-Christmas sales anywhere?

It's not quite a sale, but Stars Without Number just went up on the Bundle of Holding page.