Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Cloud's doing pretty alright for being 21 tbh.

E: Like Vincent's twice his age and he sleeps in a coffin. Cloud's doing ok.

Vincent is sleeping exactly where he belongs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://twitter.com/finalfantasyxvi/status/1475335618905669635

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I mean, unless you can walk into a store and buy a PS5 at a suggested retail price, this delay has no consequence whatsoever.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WaltherFeng posted:

I mean, unless you can walk into a store and buy a PS5 at a suggested retail price, this delay has no consequence whatsoever.

I guess every day it's delayed is probably another day we have to wait for PS5 exclusivity to expire.

It sucks but it wasn't unexpected - and it's hard to be upset about a delay when we didn't know the release window to begin with. I do think it's a bit mad that WFH is still causing problems on this scale. I know it's something Japan has struggled with since the start but when most industries and countries have been working just as efficiently (in many cases even more efficiently) from home for a year now it's an odd contrast. Especially since Endwalker was only delayed by 2-3 months.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Ragequit posted:

Holy moly, please tell me I get to hear more of the squat mini game battle theme later on in FFVII Remake. It is so good.

You're in for a treat later.

Also I am using this post as an excuse to make Beat Saber owners aware of this: https://bsaber.com/songs/a6be/
You get exactly one guess as to what the gimmick is. I especially appreciate the difficulty names being the different wigs.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Just finished V PR and the ending cutscenes glitched out and the game locked

:smith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WaltherFeng posted:

Spring announcement of a winter 2022 release possibly around the same time the chip shortage starts lessening but probably not lol

Fortunately I already have a PS5

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Can anyone tell me which PS4 physical edition of FF14 to buy to start with? I take it there’s not one with all the DLC

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
At the moment there should only be 2 versions, The base game, and the Endwalker expansion
The base game should include everything up to and including Shadowbringers

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Can anyone tell me which PS4 physical edition of FF14 to buy to start with? I take it there’s not one with all the DLC

To /start with/ you probably just want the free trial, since it's a huge portion of the game.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Novasol posted:

You're in for a treat later.

Also I am using this post as an excuse to make Beat Saber owners aware of this: https://bsaber.com/songs/a6be/
You get exactly one guess as to what the gimmick is. I especially appreciate the difficulty names being the different wigs.

I know what I'm doing when I get back home

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are they letting new people buy it at all yet?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Sakurazuka posted:

Spring announcement of a winter 2022 release possibly around the same time the chip shortage starts lessening but probably not lol

Fortunately I already have a PS5

I was all psyched that I scored a PS5 direct from Sony until it came in and I realized there's nothing I care about on it right now and I basically bought a really expensive 4k bluray player. I should probably grab the FF7 remake but I still have 4 more pixel remasters to beat

Currently playing VF5US on it, which is a port of a 10+ year old fighting game which ran perfectly fine on PS4 and the fancy new controller sucks rear end for it so I'm still using the DS4

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

stev posted:

I guess every day it's delayed is probably another day we have to wait for PS5 exclusivity to expire.

It sucks but it wasn't unexpected - and it's hard to be upset about a delay when we didn't know the release window to begin with. I do think it's a bit mad that WFH is still causing problems on this scale. I know it's something Japan has struggled with since the start but when most industries and countries have been working just as efficiently (in many cases even more efficiently) from home for a year now it's an odd contrast. Especially since Endwalker was only delayed by 2-3 months.

Tbf, like my brother pointed out, while Covid obviously does cause problems, it also provides a convenient excuse for anything else going wrong too. I'm not saying they're being misleading here, but delays happened before Covid, and they'll happen after Covid, so delays happening during Covid aren't necessarily 100% about Covid even if it obviously contributes.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i cant believe sephiroth caught covid...

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Can you smell the cry of the Planet, Cloud? Because I can't.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You wont be able to protect anyone Cloud! *coughs on Aeris*

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ethiser posted:

The cutscene in XIII with the cast and all of their summons on the race track is one of the best moments in Final Fantasy.

The cutscene is great but it's also hilariously non-sensical, even by the games standards. I don't think a single part of it has any decent explanation. What is this race? Why do we need to fight the racers?? Chapter 11 ends so abruptly. There's like 10+ hours of game missing there IMO.

Skeezy posted:

I ended up just watching the ending on YT for XIII because I just don’t care to finish the game from chapter 11. I understand the story and all that jazz so I’m calling it as done enough, going to start XIII-2 now.

I quit last night in Chapter 12 and don't think I'm going back. It was on the second Proudclad fight and I don't know if I was underleveled or something but I was barely making a dent in its HP. Then it fully healed itself at half HP and said "gently caress this". The game throws a lot of bullet spongey enemies at you towards the end that really aren't worth the time it takes to fight them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sakurazuka posted:

Are they letting new people buy it at all yet?
Yeah, you don't want the free trial not because it's not great but because they actively aren't letting free trial users play to desperately keep their servers afloat with the Endwalker rush. Unless they changed that in the last week?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also Skeezy, I hope you enjoy all the different and wonderful battle music XIII-2 has to offer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxC-VJvBi5o

When I first played XIII-2 I didn't much like this song. I dunno what I was thinking.

The entier soundtrack is phenomenal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

leftist heap posted:

The cutscene is great but it's also hilariously non-sensical, even by the games standards. I don't think a single part of it has any decent explanation. What is this race? Why do we need to fight the racers?? Chapter 11 ends so abruptly. There's like 10+ hours of game missing there IMO.

I quit last night in Chapter 12 and don't think I'm going back. It was on the second Proudclad fight and I don't know if I was underleveled or something but I was barely making a dent in its HP. Then it fully healed itself at half HP and said "gently caress this". The game throws a lot of bullet spongey enemies at you towards the end that really aren't worth the time it takes to fight them.

If you haven't, thats the point in the game where you can actually interact with the gear leveling system. Its nothing to scoff at, either, you can add basically 1/2 your natural stats at that point just via weapon upgrades.

Proudclad is also just a tough fight in general since its gimmick is based around punishing you for staggering it and its got nasty moves. Iirc You can either try to race and defend and use summons to keep going or you can just kind of edge the stagger gauge instead of letting it burst.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, you don't want the free trial not because it's not great but because they actively aren't letting free trial users play to desperately keep their servers afloat with the Endwalker rush. Unless they changed that in the last week?

It's not that they can't play period, it's just that they can't play if there's a queue. So if you can only play at prime time gaming hours you're probably not going to get to play. But my partner is on a free trial account and was able to play on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day when there was no queue. I don't think you can sign up for a free trial or even buy the game right now though, unless they weren't able to suspend sales on every storefront.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

leftist heap posted:

XIII is a game where I highly suspect the big setpiece FMVs were done way before the script was finalized, with the intention of “eh we’ll make them fit” later on. Which went about as well as one would expect.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I love it. It's like the lovely Silver Age comics where they had to make the cover well before they wrote the story, so it's all just nonsense trying to fit around the one part that already was made.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

If you haven't, thats the point in the game where you can actually interact with the gear leveling system. Its nothing to scoff at, either, you can add basically 1/2 your natural stats at that point just via weapon upgrades.

Proudclad is also just a tough fight in general since its gimmick is based around punishing you for staggering it and its got nasty moves. Iirc You can either try to race and defend and use summons to keep going or you can just kind of edge the stagger gauge instead of letting it burst.

Oh I have poo poo upgraded... my problem with the fight isn't the difficulty (I have it on casual/easy or whatever at this point) it's just how bullet spongey and boring it is.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Draga posted:

The best FF moment is any moment where comical violence is inflicted upon Hildibrand.

Just did the coliseum bit earlier. Masterpiece.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Endorph posted:

well, sort of. that was also a factor, but also ff13 was very popular. people make fun of 'lightning returns final fantasy 13' as a name but its called that cause people were mad lightning wasnt in 13-2 enough, the people love lightning. so its a combination of cheap asset reuse and cashing in on a popular ip.

for reference 13-2 sold 3.6 million and probably didn't cost much at all to make. it was basically free money. to compare it to another spinoff/sequel type game around the same time, crisis core sold half a million less with the even more beloved ff7 ip, and while being a psp game it wasnt exactly a massive undertaking that pushed technology to its limits they still had to make all new assets for it.

The people were right, the ff13 trilogy owns :colbert:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Also Skeezy, I hope you enjoy all the different and wonderful battle music XIII-2 has to offer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxC-VJvBi5o

When I first played XIII-2 I didn't much like this song. I dunno what I was thinking.

The entier soundtrack is phenomenal.

I love the soundtrack for the game. I bought the collectors edition when it came out so I had the soundtrack. Never really played the game but I did listen to the music.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

leftist heap posted:

That’s what was going on with me, I just didn’t feel like grinding out the levels to try and make a dent with the enemies on Pulse. Also the idea of the missions wasn’t for me.

It’s cool and great that it’s there but by that point I was tired of the game and just wanted to continue to the next one and see what’s up with it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

XIII is more combat heavy than some SMT games. It's just fight, fight, fight. Pulse is simply more of the same, only the plot stopped giving a poo poo and now you can run around and fight instead of running in a straight line to fight.

Even if you like XIII's combat system, it's so tedious. Luckily XIII-2 realized this and gives you a huge variety of things to do.

I think this is part of why people resent the Datalog so much. Many RPGs have stuff like it but it's supposed to be a supplement for what you see and experience yourself. XIII has this really cool world that you are not allowed to see any of, you can only read about it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 27, 2021

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

When the combat really gets going in XIII is when I like it. Tends to be on the boss fights that it’s most enjoyable for me. I found most of the trash mobs to be boring since sometimes if you’re not doing it right fights can just take all day.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Enjoying the FF7 remake so far but fighting the Hell House without assess materia was a slog. Guessing I was supposed to be using a specific element to get rid of its shield or something to that effect but none of the ones I had equipped seemed to work so I just plinked away at it for 5 damage at a time for about 30 minutes. Only time I've really come close to a game over.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Ff7r made it clear to me that if you're having a difficult time with a boss, it's okay to hit reset and shift your materia/equipment around.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

NikkolasKing posted:

Some people get weird about it and say Tifa was using him for her own needs when it's clear she's just as confused as he is and is also a victim in her own right. Sure she absolutely should have pulled him aside for a long talk but I don't think there was any manipulation here.

The thing people tend to forget is that Tifa is having a crisis of her own while this is going on. As she says in the Lifestream later, she was confused by the things Cloud shouldn't have known but did, and the things he should have known but didn't.

If Cloud had just showed up and made up a story whole cloth about Sephiroth and Jenova and what happened at Niebelheim, Tifa probably would have said "No Cloud, you're wrong, all of what you just said is wrong." The fact that Cloud was able to completely accurately say what happened with Sephiroth at Niebelheim when as far as Tifa knew he wasn't there, is why she started questioning her own memory. If Cloud knew what happened, was so confident he was there, was it her memory that was wrong?

Also Tifa was scared if she confronted Cloud about the inconsistencies in her memories, Cloud might just say "I know what happened, you're not the real Tifa, are you some sort of Shinra spy? Someone pretending to be Tifa? I can't trust you" and left her. Then he definitely wouldn't have gotten the help he needed. I'm not exactly defending Tifa's actions, since we have the benefit of hindsight and knowing how it all worked out in the end, which is something that she couldn't actually have known at the time. Still, the fear of Cloud just declaring her to be a traitor, or spy, or just someone trying to use him was real, and she didn't want him to leave while she wasn't sure if he was actually Cloud, or if her own memories were false.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

final fantasy 7 is about people working through and overcoming their trauma and that is why i enjoy its story so much

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 27, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

A cool bit about FF7 I noticed about is that even though Cloud promised he'd save Tifa, he never actually does, and it's Tifa who saves Cloud in the end.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Enjoying the FF7 remake so far but fighting the Hell House without assess materia was a slog. Guessing I was supposed to be using a specific element to get rid of its shield or something to that effect but none of the ones I had equipped seemed to work so I just plinked away at it for 5 damage at a time for about 30 minutes. Only time I've really come close to a game over.

lol I just did this fight too and I only had Lightning and Fire materia so it also took me forever. When it uses different moves it lights up with fire/lightning/wind/ice and you need to hit it with the opposite element (so ice/wind/lightning/fire) which does a shitload of direct damage and poise damage. When it goes God House mode there's nothing you can do but suffer I think

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Chillgamesh posted:

A cool bit about FF7 I noticed about is that even though Cloud promised he'd save Tifa, he never actually does, and it's Tifa who saves Cloud in the end.

lol I just did this fight too and I only had Lightning and Fire materia so it also took me forever. When it uses different moves it lights up with fire/lightning/wind/ice and you need to hit it with the opposite element (so ice/wind/lightning/fire) which does a shitload of direct damage and poise damage. When it goes God House mode there's nothing you can do but suffer I think

you can attack its hands when it does that iirc

and yeah, iirc you can always restart to right before a fight from the pause menu to swap equipment around, the game definitely wants you to know that's an option you always have if you think you messed up your equipment for a fight

EDIT: yeah here's someone speedrunning it on hard mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0it_F2fgqtA

Xad fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 27, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy 7 is about people working through and overcoming their trauma and that is why i enjoy its story so much

Well, except Vincent, who basically has no character arc. Even Yuffie has more of a character arc than him, which is weird considering Vincent is technically easier to recruit than she is.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

vincent's character arc is that he got cucked by hojo and there is no recovering from that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

thats the sad part, he didnt even get cucked. he just had a crush on a woman on his security detail and then she hosed hojo, she didnt even know vincent existed