Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Data Graham posted:

"Duuuude is what I think of as green maybe what you think of as blue :350:"

I've noticed my night vision diminish a lot as I approached my 40s. Blooming tail- and traffic lights, unable to discern shapes in shadows as well as I could, etc.

Do what you want with this information.

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arivia posted:

look, i am not able to start a new show unless i listen to all the previous episodes first

now how many does that nice Archers radio play have again

up to 19,500 episodes now which works out at 7 1/4 months on continuous listening to catch up. Obviously in the 7 1/4 months of listening 29 hours of more episodes will have been broadcast.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

gbut posted:

I've noticed my night vision diminish a lot as I approached my 40s. Blooming tail- and traffic lights, unable to discern shapes in shadows as well as I could, etc.

I mean, for whatever it's worth I haven't noticed any change in my eyesight over my lifetime. My eyes have never been great, I've always had to wear glasses and my right eye has always been dim and useless, but I got Lasik a few years ago and everything seems beautiful and bright, in the left one at least.

But because I know how much worse and dimmer my right is, I can definitely imagine different people having way different capabilities. But at the same time I can't comprehend what better than what I currently see with my left might be like. I guess by definition!

(Post-lasik there's a little bloom around lights at night, and if I look at a bright blue light like a Christmas light strand or a Honda dealership, at any distance it's horrible and irreconcilable double vision; but that only applies to vivid blue lights and nothing else. So weird. And at any rate I know it's purely because of the Lasik)

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Dec 27, 2021

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Arivia posted:

look, i am not able to start a new show unless i listen to all the previous episodes first

now how many does that nice Archers radio play have again

quote:

One of the most controversial Archers episodes was broadcast on 22 September 1955, which coincided with the launch of the UK's first commercial television station. Phil and Grace Archer had been married just a few months earlier, and their blossoming relationship was the talk of the nation. However, searching for a story which would demonstrate some real tragedy among the increasingly unconvincing episode cliff-hangers, Godfrey Baseley had decided that Grace would have to die.
In 1996, William Smethurst recounted a conversation with Baseley in which he reveals his real motivation for killing off Grace Archer: Ysanne Churchman (who played Grace) was encouraging the other actors to join a trade union.

quote:

Godfrey Baseley was quoted in The Independent as objecting to the homosexuality in the programme, saying "It is disgusting ... It is distasteful because being gay is such a minority interest. Country folk don't do that kind of thing. They have sex the proper way."

lol
lmao

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Dec 27, 2021

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
The Archers music is my cue to turn off radio 4 for 15 minutes. On the occasions when I don’t switch off there’s usually something about pigs, alcoholism or some decades old love child secret being discussed by octogenarians.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The ability to think in a meta way about what other people/animals are thinking (and to understand that they think differently from you) is actually a really advanced skill called "theory of mind" that relatively few animals demonstrate.
Human children develop it around 4 years old, and you can watch kids younger than that fail at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUpxZksAMPw
In the video, the doll Sally leaves a toy in a box, and then when Sally is gone and out of sight Ann moves it to a different basket.
You can ask the kids "where does Sally think the toy is?", and ones who haven't yet developed ToM will say that Sally thinks it's in the basket.

Most animals are gonna make the same mistake the 42-month-old kid makes and think that everyone else thinks/knows all the same things they do.
Dogs are really cool and unique though and have a pretty advanced theory of mind when it comes to humans. I don't know if anyone has managed to get cats to play along in experiments about that though.

Cats are capable but never develop a theory of mind simply on principle as the very idea that they could be hungry with you not knowing about it is unconscionable

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
stupid pedestrians darting across the walkway, don't they know I can barely see anything and am listening to a podcast and am night blind and angry about pedestrians? Do they want to die?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

stupid pedestrians darting across the walkway, don't they know I can barely see anything and am listening to a podcast and am night blind and angry about pedestrians? Do they want to die?

:lol:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

i just ignore all pedestrian behavior and let my tesla sort it out

good luck out there

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

gbut posted:

Maybe you should take this information to an optometrist and talk about getting glasses :corsair:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
So people seem to be freaking out about this, and I'm an idiot who can't figure out why. Of all the things for a Paul brother to be trending for, this seems pretty harmless? What am I missing here, thread? Seems like standard "bored rich dude" poo poo to me.

https://twitter.com/LoganPaul/status/1475193263640481796

Chloe Jessica posted:

if i am walking in the dark i turn my phone's flashlight on so that i have a headlight of sorts

:yeah: Although I point it at my feet, so I'm not blinding cars going by.

One of the bus drivers here once profusely thanked me for turning on my phone screen and waving it around once I saw the bus approaching the (very dark) bus stop. Apparently, 90% of people around here just stand at the bus stop and assume they can be seen in the dark, then get pissy when the bus almost passes by without stopping.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Read After Burning posted:

So people seem to be freaking out about this, and I'm an idiot who can't figure out why. Of all the things for a Paul brother to be trending for, this seems pretty harmless? What am I missing here, thread? Seems like standard "bored rich dude" poo poo to me.

https://twitter.com/LoganPaul/status/1475193263640481796

He's just murdered our entire childhoods and entombed them for his loving coffee table!!!!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Heath posted:

He's just murdered our entire childhoods and entombed them for his loving coffee table!!!!

Just lmao if your childhood wasn't already murdered by the state of the world.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
People are always mad when someone "devalues" some lovely old game stuff, people are like "you could have given those away as gifts" as if its hard to get an old game boy, if it was a PS5 the "gift" thing would make sense but come on

I dont like the pauls but i think that looks pretty cool and im very happy to see some good examples being set as far as safety using resin.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The replies on that tweet are the IOSM. I'm sorry but a 20+ year old handheld that had better iterations that were backwards compatible isn't something to cry about. Oh no, an old consumer good!

Someone is like "it's purpose should be for a kid to play it!" What kid wouldn't tell you to gently caress off and just play Fortnite or something else on their console or iPad? Or all of those games via emulation on an Android phone or a computer?

Gamers are so loving lame, goddamn.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, I was gonna say, this seems like a cooler thing to do than just having a Gameboy "rotting" in your drawer untouched for 15+ years.

I just wanted to confirm that people were mad because he was "destroying" old video game poo poo, and not because this is a super dangerous thing to do or something.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Someone is like "it's purpose should be for a kid to play it!" What kid wouldn't tell you to gently caress off and just play Fortnite or something else on their console or iPad? Or all of those games via emulation on an Android phone or a computer?

Right?! Unless it was some hipster kid, that would just probably turn out like one of those "KIDS REACT TO 90s TECH" videos, where they go "Is this a pager?!"

https://twitter.com/MurphyObv/status/1475536760222461960

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Dec 27, 2021

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hey one day I'll meet my manic pixie gamer girl and I will need a gameboy to shove into my kids hands and make them play pokeman like I did. I could just buy one right now for that purpose, but that would be a bit sad wouldn't it?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Beartaco posted:

I wish I'd done some more experimenting to see what's the lowest fidelity dog that they'd still recognise as a dog.

Searching Pluto's ideal form of dog.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Just imagining anyone born after 2000 enjoying playing a game that looks like this

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I mean hell you can just play Gold and Silver on officially rereleased and fairly cheap ports to the Switch if you really want that nostalgia hit. There's value in preserving, like, the actual content of games, but nobody was going to play those consoles he used anymore.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bismuth posted:

Just imagining anyone born after 2000 enjoying playing a game that looks like this

My daughter enjoys the poo poo out of GBC Pokemon games.

She plays them on an emulator in the living room so she can have a big screen and savestates.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Hell, there's no guarantee all of those even work.

That thing has got to weigh a ton, though.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Logan Paul apparently spent $2.6 million on NFTs so he's still the IOSM

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My childhood has been dead and buried in someones coffee table for decades at this point, the Paul brothers are late to the game.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

Logan Paul apparently spent $2.6 million on NFTs so he's still the IOSM

How many copy-paste monkeys and lions is that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

How many copy-paste monkeys and lions is that?

I think the most expensive ape sold for $35k in the initial auction.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well someone's sure making bank

I dunno guys, maybe we are the idiots after all

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Should have hard-wired those gameboys to a power source and had them looping attract screens forever, missed opportunity imo

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Bismuth posted:

People are always mad when someone "devalues" some lovely old game stuff, people are like "you could have given those away as gifts" as if its hard to get an old game boy, if it was a PS5 the "gift" thing would make sense but come on

I dont like the pauls but i think that looks pretty cool and im very happy to see some good examples being set as far as safety using resin.

Boywhiz88 posted:

The replies on that tweet are the IOSM. I'm sorry but a 20+ year old handheld that had better iterations that were backwards compatible isn't something to cry about. Oh no, an old consumer good!

Gamers are so loving lame, goddamn.

I'm sorry if some of us have the Brave Little Toaster as our earliest childhood memory.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Everyone complaining about the Pauls covering a video game with resin:

Oh no the consumer goods I valued as a child are being 'disrespected'!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Well someone's sure making bank

I dunno guys, maybe we are the idiots after all

Oh absolutely. This is the age of online grift and I haven't gotten even a tiny slice of it so far. I'm absolutely the idiot here

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gonna encase a Howdy Doody in resin in front of my dad

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, it was wild to see folks claiming some type of "disrespect". :shrug: Like, I'm pretty sure encasing it in plastic for eternity is the opposite of disrespectful?

Anyway, content:

https://twitter.com/dook42_domini/status/1474315081777397771

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Oh my god, they were tax evaders

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Crying because my dad recycled the old beige PC i played my first Pajama Sam game on

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

lol at anyone getting made at logan paul using old gameboys because the analogue pocket came out this month and it's basically "hey do you want to play old handheld games without having to deal with batteries or having a lovely screen without a backlight?"

Splash Attack has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Dec 27, 2021

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Kit Walker posted:

Oh my god, they were tax evaders

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

Oh no the consumer goods I valued as a child are being 'disrespected'!

Did the Pauls ever do a collab with DrDisrespect

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I mean old gameboys are getting into collectors items territory, its not just being mad that your nostalgia is being disrespected. This stuff is like 30 years old now, generally the value of game consoles comes from them being still playable. People dont want to just see a gameboy, they want to see it work, like an antique toy.

If i saw an antique jack in the box or wind up toy get incased in amber id say its value as a collecters item or as a sentimental item was lessened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Hihohe posted:

If i saw an antique jack in the box or wind up toy get incased in amber id say its value as a collecters item or as a sentimental item was lessened.

Would you feel that value was more or less than the toy winding up in a landfill?