Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Just you wait until I poo poo in the punch bowl next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA for putting "insta-fail" questions on my exam?

quote:

I'm a professor at a university teaching an intermediate level course this semester. For my final exam, I included 5 short answer questions that awarded 0 points if answered correctly, but each had a 20 point penalty if answered incorrectly or left blank (the exam is out of 100 points). There was no partial credit for these questions. Other parts of the exam were multiple choice, short answer, and one long answer questions (these are where the 100 points come from). The exam were designed to be completed in 75 minutes about students had 120 minutes to complete it. The final counts for 50% of their total grade.

The 5 questions were about the core learning outcomes that's listed in every syllabus. A central part of the class was relating what we learned back to these core learning outcomes. 2 weeks before the final I told them about the insta-fail questions. I told them that there would be 5 questions and about the penalty. I also said that it'll be related to the "main takeaways of the course" and if they walk away with anything from this class, it should be these. I then gave the class the chance to vote if they wanted to be able to use a note card on the exam or to know the 5 insta-fail questions ahead of time. The class voted ~55% in favor of the note card.

The issue comes from this morning after I entered grades and awoke to several emails from students about their grade. All of the students that emailed me were unhappy with their grade because of the insta-fail questions. They said it was unfair and I should consider raising their grade in someway, such as partial credit or not giving the penalty out. No one failed the course strictly because of the insta-fail questions (2 students did fail the exam and course but still would have even without the penalties). However, several students did end up getting worse grades then they wanted or expected because of the penalties. One student is particularly upset because he was on course to get an A and would have if he didn't miss 1 insta-fail question.

In my defense, I feel like I did an ample job making sure students were aware of the insta-fail questions and making sure we covered the core learning outcomes extensively throughout the semester. Although I did give them the chance to know the questions beforehand, the majority voted for the note card instead.

AITA?

Edit: I just wanted to add some more information

I have ~200 students in my class. The average GPA as it currently stands is a ~3.25. For reference the department average GPA is 2.95.

~93% of students answered every single "insta-fail" correctly. Most students that answered a question wrong had a 65%> before any penalties.

If a student is on a scholarship, then I'll work with them to make sure they don't lose it. I'll reasonably round grades up. Otherwise, I'll have them do a short assignment to boost their grades. If that's not possible for whatever reason, I'll withdraw them from the class, so it doesn't count against them.

My class is a stepping stone class before the classes branch out into the advanced courses. (E.g. you'd take intro bio before taking botany, zoology, cell biology, etc). If you don't know the basics of organelles or mitosis then you're going to struggle heavily in cell biology. If you don't the basics of plants, then your Botany class will be incredibly hard.

I've given some examples of what "insta-fail" questions are like in the replies, but I can come up with more if anyone would like.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Funktastic posted:

"Yes you did get the majority of the questions correct, especially the longer, harder ones. BUT on #17 you selected option "C" which was to wager half your cumulative score on the answer to question #23. And you answered the question, BUT as clearly spelled out in the syllabus, any question numbered 22 or higher needs to be answered in opposite fashion. Not to mention you answered "True" to question number 11, which had stated that question sorry had to be answered using ONLY "T" or "F". It's not my fault you can't follow instructions."

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

wow I wonder why nobody else does that, this guy must be a real innovative brain genius professor

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Couple pages back but you’re a REAL bitch if you don’t kiss the fish

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Funktastic posted:

Wait, so it's not trap questions about material too complex for the course, or a "read all instructions before answering and don't do question 5" thing, but questions with correct answers that were covered in the course and if you don't decipher this guy's roundabout clue you just fail? That's not a test, that's this guy jacking off about how students were stupid enough to trust him.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Funktastic posted:

I was going to say this is rear end in a top hat behaviour but it really depends on the questions.

quote:

~93% of students answered every single "insta-fail" correctly. Most students that answered a question wrong had a 65%> before any penalties.
If this is true then, ehh, doesn't seem that bad. If the questions really are simple obvious foundational questions then I think it's acceptable from a fairness perspective, though it still seems like bad course design without a real purpose. They end up just reinforcing grade separation between those who pass and fail.

Uncle Enzo posted:

"Yes you did get the majority of the questions correct, especially the longer, harder ones. BUT on #17 you selected option "C" which was to wager half your cumulative score on the answer to question #23. And you answered the question, BUT as clearly spelled out in the syllabus, any question numbered 22 or higher needs to be answered in opposite fashion. Not to mention you answered "True" to question number 11, which had stated that question sorry had to be answered using ONLY "T" or "F". It's not my fault you can't follow instructions."

Bruceski posted:

Wait, so it's not trap questions about material too complex for the course, or a "read all instructions before answering and don't do question 5" thing, but questions with correct answers that were covered in the course and if you don't decipher this guy's roundabout clue you just fail? That's not a test, that's this guy jacking off about how students were stupid enough to trust him.
Neither of these seem to be what's going on. They seem to be straightforward simple questions. Like, if it was an algebra class a question might be:
3x+5x
or
Solve x+7=11

It's pointless, but doesn't seem cruel.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 27, 2021

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Calico Heart posted:

Couple pages back but you’re a REAL bitch if you don’t kiss the fish

I refuse to tarnish the lips that I use to give my cat a kiss on the forehead by kissing a horrible fish.

AITA for not defending my siblings after they had a separate Christmas without me?

quote:

For context, my parents are divorced and living in separate houses. I moved in with my dad when I was around 16 because of my mother (she liked to take things out on me), and I currently still live with my dad full time due to college expenses and COVID. Both of my siblings visit for a week at each location. My brother and I are both 19, my sister is 17.

We slept at our dad’s on Christmas Eve, baking cookies and watching movies. Christmas morning, we stopped by our mother’s apartment to have breakfast and exchange gifts- and I noticed that only our mother and I were doing so. My sibling’s presents remained untouched, so I asked them about it before we headed out. According to my siblings, they wanted to do Christmas with “just them”.

We drove back to our father’s, and had a great time exchanging gifts and decorating the cookies we made last night. Then, my siblings drove back over to our mother’s apartment to have a Christmas with just them. Or, as they put it, “with family”.

I mentioned it offhandedly to our dad when he asked where they went- deliberately avoiding details or specifics- largely because I didn’t want to make the holiday all about me or sour the mood.

Whenever they returned home, our dad suddenly sprung a “family meeting” and spoke about treating each other like family and being there for each other. He did say that they were being rude by not including me- that we could’ve just had one big Christmas at our mom’s and then one at his instead of them driving over twice. I sat there in silence because I didn’t think he’d say anything- and I wasn’t about to admit how I actually felt hurt at the situation. My dad did say some things that could’ve been read as rude, but it was mostly saying they could’ve handled it differently or wouldn’t like it if I did something like that to them.

Now, my siblings are pissed at me for not defending them during the talk. They’re both being incredibly short and snappy to me, and make a pointed effort to avoid me at all costs. They have said to my face that it’s because I didn’t defend them and the only reason our dad’s upset is because I “snitched”. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Edit: I’m seeing some repeating questions, so I figured I’d clarify inside the overall post. My siblings and I are all 100% biologically related, from the same marriage- my brother is my twin. Also, I’ve been told by multiple people that I look like my father- for those asking in the comments.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That professor is just preparing those students for real life, which is often more about navigating obtuse bureaucracy than anything else.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Now my microeconomics professor's multiple choice tests don't sound so bad. Sure, choices could range anywhere from A-D to A-L depending on the question, and had "multiple correct answers, but select the most correct one", but at least you were allowed to write in reasons backing up your answer, giving you the chance to get it correct, even if you didn't pick his chosen answer.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Funktastic posted:

make those their own assessment due a week prior to the final exam, or integrate them into the final exam normally.

those students would grade grub no matter what, but you're just making it worse for yourself by making your assessment lovely and confusing.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I really hope that guy's class is a psychology class and he's ignored all the evidence that people hate losing stuff way more than they like getting things, and just raised the score cap on the final while making those questions only give positive points.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for not inviting my husband's son to Christmas?

Imagine I bolded the whole thing.

Holy gently caress that poor guy.

I can see it in like 10 years. He runs into his bitch stepmother in the supermarket. They talk for a second, a conversation he initiates because he hasn't seen her or his dad in like 6 months.

She engages briefly and mentions in passing (like as a reference of time) that her husband died recently and he realizes abruptly that:

1. his dad died and
2. nobody told him such that he missed the funeral

I wonder how long she's been married to his dad and he's effectively been on his own, emotionally and family wise. Jesus.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DemoneeHo posted:

WIBTA if I stopped going to family therapy?

Well that was an easy YTA for me. Here's the full body if you need it:

Goddamn loving genius in the comments:

quote:

You can do this. You can do it because you are a good man who loves his family. You can just literally sit and listen , understand that each session is the equiv of paying your dues. You’re a successful man, you likely paid your dues at work, paid your dues under tough bosses. You can do this.

The man you are today is different from who you were then …. It’s hard to let her process and share her pain and listen.

But if you can persevere - you stand to change not just your daughters perspectives on the world but how she parents your grand children etc. your legacy.

quote:

You know what? You're right. I can do this. I am successful, I did pay my dues (even though some of the people I did it for don't seem to appreciate it) and I am good man who loves his family. And what I decide to do will affect my legacy. So I am going to give it another shot. Thank you for putting it in perspective for me.

I'm not convinced this person isn't just flat-out lying in a way that they know will make the rear end in a top hat dad stay at therapy and shut the gently caress up about it. They're VERY good at it. (also that loving jab in parentheses in the lovely idiot dad's comment, jesus)

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Most students that answered a question wrong had a 65%> before any penalties.

Most, not all. At least one person failed the test because they either skipped an insta-fail or got one answer wrong. 100% rear end in a top hat. The point of a test is to assess knowledge of the material, not pose riddles that require giving a poo poo about the syllabus (no one gives a gently caress about the syllabus).

An example of a good question on a college calculus test:

"Explain, in as much detail as possible, The Derivative. Include any history, examples, uses, and different descriptions you can. The better and more complete your answer, the more points you will get. There is no upper limit on how many points you can get from this question"

Full blank page provided and it wasn't a timed test. This seems like a good way to figure out whether an undergrad understands what the hell a derivative is. There were other bog-standard math questions as well of course.

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 27, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I was going to say this is rear end in a top hat behaviour but it really depends on the questions.

If this is true then, ehh, doesn't seem that bad. If the questions really are simple obvious foundational questions then I think it's acceptable from a fairness perspective, though it still seems like bad course design without a real purpose. They end up just reinforcing grade separation between those who pass and fail.

Neither of these seem to be what's going on. They seem to be straightforward simple questions. Like, if it was an algebra class a question might be:
3x+5x
or
Solve x+7=11

It's pointless, but doesn't seem cruel.

You can still gently caress that up if you're having a bad day, even if you'd normally get it right. gently caress this test.

I failed a test like that once and nearly killed myself on the way home, just saying.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for agreeing to have my family visit for a week after my wife gives birth?.

quote:

My wife (23) and I (27) are expexting. She's due this month and things have been bit intense recently with her being extra hormonal.

We live in different state then my family. My wife and I couldn't visit for Christmas. my parents were calling to continue complaining about us not spending Christmas with them and demanded I make it up for them. I said I was open for any suggestions they had and they suggested they come stay with us for a week once the baby is born. That way they could spend time with us and the baby as well. I thought why not that seemed to be a pretty good suggestion since it's been months since we've seen each others so I told them to go ahead and made the invitation Official.

This morning my wife was talking about her plans once the baby is here and that's when I remembered my conversation with my parents. I immediately told her that I agreed to let them over for a week once the baby is born to make up for the holiday we missed with them. She first looked shocked then freaked out at me saying I shouldn't have invited them just like that without talking to her first. I asked why not since she loves them and loves being around them but she explained that my family can be a lot of work and having them as guests while caretaking for a newborn is the last thing she wanted.

I told her it was no big deal besides that we could use help if she thought about this way but she lashed out on me about how the first few days of the baby's life is essential time for bonding and being intimate and I just took that away from her by inviting my parents and invading her space. I argued that she was being melodramatic right then because my family are decent people and I'm pretty sure they'll make this experience a lot more warmer but she still disagreed and said if my family were decent then they wouldn't have accepted my invitation but I clarified to her that I did NOT invitem and this was in fact a suggested made by them and I just agreed AFTER they complained about me missing spending the holidays with them.

She went off on me demanding I call them and cancel everything I planned with them but I thought that was unacceptable since she gave not a good-enough reason for me to do that and besides my parents can help but she still denied that being true.

She's gone radio silence for the rest of the day and is acting like my family are somehow making her uncomfortable though they're not the judgemental or intrusive type and are just about spending time with each others. AITA?

Hold on! #Edit few things so there's no misunderstanding here. Alright?

First of all my wife doesn't normally have an issue with my family being around, they all get along pretty good. and second of all which is an important info my wife and I talked about having her directly speak to them about why she would rather postpone their visit so we could clear the air but she refused and said she doesn't want to ruin her relationship with them and asked me to do it (tell them not to come) but since my family are upset with me then me telling them not to come might be taken in an offensive way, you know what I'm saying? so it really feels like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

also, to all the people saying that my wife shouldn't be hosting guests. I don't recall mentioning this nor expecting her to do anything for the family. matter of fact I really thought we could maybe use their help especially my mom

You dumb motherfucker

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

olylifter posted:

Holy gently caress that poor guy.

I can see it in like 10 years. He runs into his bitch stepmother in the supermarket. They talk for a second, a conversation he initiates because he hasn't seen her or his dad in like 6 months.

She engages briefly and mentions in passing (like as a reference of time) that her husband died recently and he realizes abruptly that:

1. his dad died and
2. nobody told him such that he missed the funeral

I wonder how long she's been married to his dad and he's effectively been on his own, emotionally and family wise. Jesus.

He really reminds me of my brother who my wife's family thought was really weird and wouldn't invite him to stuff until I made a stink about it since he is a really good guy. He just happens to be a very large tattooed former marine who has never been in a relationship, is super awkward and just wants to spend his time doing wood carving. Which he is shockingly good at, he sells really intricately carved skulls (some done in mammoth ivory) and makes such a good living doing it he is putting himself through flight school just cause. But yeah that woman is terrible.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

Most, not all. At least one person failed the test because they either skipped an insta-fail or got one answer wrong. 100% rear end in a top hat. The point of a test is to assess knowledge of the material, not pose riddles that require giving a poo poo about the syllabus (no one gives a gently caress about the syllabus).

"Explain, in as much detail as possible, The Derivative. Include any history, examples, uses, and different descriptions you can. The better and more zookeeper your answer, the more points you will get. There is no upper limit on how many points you can get from this question"

Full blank page provided and it wasn't a timed test. This seems like a good way to figure out whether an undergrad understands what the hell a derivative is. There were other bog-standard math questions as well of course.

that question is horrible

it's ambiguous, it's hard to understand what it's assessing, it's completely opaque as to how the grade will eventually be assigned, and it's actually asking students to write as many words as they possibly can which is something you Do Not Do because you end up with a huge wall of incomprehensible text rather than something more meaningful and thought through.

there's other reasons too but drat that question is bad

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Uncle Enzo posted:

That's not what the questions were. They weren't riddles or requiring them to read the syllabus. They were subject matter questions based on the learning outcomes. They didn't require students to know what the learning outcomes were, just to know the relevant material.

Midnight Voyager posted:

You can still gently caress that up if you're having a bad day, even if you'd normally get it right. gently caress this test.

I failed a test like that once and nearly killed myself on the way home, just saying.
This is fair, asking pointless questions for no meaningful benefit is still an rear end in a top hat move for the extra stress it imposes.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sugar free jazz posted:

it's ambiguous, it's hard to understand what it's assessing, it's completely opaque as to how the grade will eventually be assigned, and it's actually asking students to write as many words as they possibly can which is something you Do Not Do because you end up with a huge wall of incomprehensible text rather than something more meaningful and thought through.

Can you tell me what the poo poo "The better and more zookeeper your answer" means? You seem to understand that question better than I did!

Genuine question, Google is not supplying anything but actual zoo keepers.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 27, 2021

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

^^^Bad autocorrect from "complete". My apologies for poor proofreading

sugar free jazz posted:

:shrug: We had spent a great deal of time talking about the Derivative. It's a basic concept. The wording is going off my memory, it may have been clearer as written. The question was also provided ahead of time and he explained what he wanted.

It must have been hell to grade but that wasn't my problem lol.

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 27, 2021

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

Can you tell me what the poo poo "The better and more zookeeper your answer" means? You seem to understand that question better than I did!

nope im just guessing they mean the more complete and detailed the answer the better grade on that question, which causes me intense anxiety because i'm just imagining the handwriting you're gonna have to decipher

Uncle Enzo posted:

:shrug: We had spent a great deal of time talking about the Derivative. It's a basic concept. The wording is going off my memory, it may have been clearer as written. The question was also provided ahead of time and he explained what he wanted.

It must have been hell to grade but that wasn't my problem lol.

the grading is an important part of the question because it determines....the grade. if it's totally ambiguous to grade that's really bad for both the teacher AND the students, because neither will understand why the grade was assigned. If you are assessing a basic concept you can do it in a way that's not lovely.

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 27, 2021

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Uncle Enzo posted:

"Explain, in as much detail as possible, The Derivative. Include any history, examples, uses, and different descriptions you can. The better and more complete your answer, the more points you will get. There is no upper limit on how many points you can get from this question"

dude that's a cool question. it's making me want to go do some calculus, for real. or at least read up on it. i wonder where my old book is

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've [25 F] become a lot more successful in my career, than my boyfriend [25 M] has in his. He got really jealous and nasty about it while drunk.

quote:

My boyfriend and I are both engineers. We've been together since college (6 years). I always thought he was the smarter one, and I think he did too. He was the type to live and breathe engineering, and I was the type to want other hobbies, and really not immerse myself as much. But, I've ended up more successful, and he's jealous.

I got into engineering when I was directionless in college, and was thinking "Oh poo poo, I'm gonna need money... I guess I'll give this engineering thing a try, it apparently pays well and I'm OK at math." Of course I worked hard, but it wasn't like my passon or anything. I just jumped into it because I was scared of being broke after college.

And I got my job at a company I'd never heard of basically thinking "Sweet, they gave my dumb rear end an offer, I guess I'll give it a try. I need a job."

And somehow I lucked into doing something super interesting to me, with flexible hours, good pay, and lots of travel to other countries. The work travel even includes lots of time for sightseeing, because I am working on systems where the customers really want to minimize down-time, so they won't shut stuff down for us to work with for too long. So sometimes I'll travel for several weeks, and only spend half of those days working. So I'm getting to see a lot of the world without paying for any of it, and I love it.

My coworkers and boss think pretty highly of me too, though I suspect a big part of that is that I'm more of a "people person" than some engineers, and I've been told by a lot of people that I'm very easy to work with.

On the other hand, my boyfriend was a super dedicated student, plus all his extracurriculars were related to his studies. He understood a lot of our academic subjects much more in depth than I do, and his studies came more easily to him.

But when he graduated, he struggled finding work at all, let alone something he enjoyed. He moved in with his parents for 6 months when job searching, hated his first job, and continued job searching till he found somewhere else.

The place he works now is a more well known company, but he basically says they don't trust him with anything other than menial data entry stuff; there are a few long term employees who boss everyone else around, and there's a lot of turnover of new hires. His manager is a hardass about his hours, and his job doesn't involve travel.

He's applying elsewhere, still, but not getting too many interviews.

The jealousy issue came up slowly, then all at once. For a while, he'd been saying stuff like "Isn't that nice for you" a little passive aggressively when I'd talk about something exciting happening at work. I thought he must just be frustrated with not having many perks to his job, so I tried to lay off stuff that sounded like bragging.

But then, we went to a party and got good and drunk. I was joking around with a friends and being self depricating, saying "Yeah I still cant believe they let my dumb rear end design [Thing my company makes]... Last week, I made a cup of coffee all over the ground because I forget to put a cup under the Keurig at work."

And then my boyfriend doubled down on my joke, quoting a couple dumb things I said in college when I was struggling with my studies. My friends started to cringe a little because it came off more insulting than funny.

In the walk home, I told him that what he'd said about me being dumb wasn't very nice. He said that I made the joke first, so he didn't get why I was so sensitive.

I told him that it's different coming from him, it sucks to hear your boyfriend joke about how dumb you are. I asked if he really thought I was dumb. He started by saying "No, but..." And then continued on this rant that kind of shocked me. I'll summarize it, because I was too drunk to remember his exact words.

He thought my job seemed like it was out of my skillset, and I didn't have the technical skills to do what I've been doing properly, from what he'd seen of my understanding of stuff in college. He said I don't do well under pressure also. He started to wonder to himself if I had been hired because there's a push to get more women in engineering. Overall it sounded like he thought I was undeserving of my job.

I cut him off there, and said "If any of that was true, why would they still keep me around? And pay a poo poo ton in airline fees to fly me to do on-site work? Nobody's gonna do that for someone dumb as bricks."

He then started to ramble about the stuff he knew better than me, and why was he strugging to start his career when I was succeeding?

I started to realize he was being bitter because he was jealous. I sent him home to sleep because I didn't want to argue more drunk. And that's the last we talked about it. I've been trying to think through whether it's something I can get past.

On one hand, I see why he's frustrated in his career. But I hate how he tried to tear me down as a result.

TLDR - My boyfriend's way smarter than me academically, but I've had more career success so far. He insulted my intelligence, I think out of jealousy.

quote:

I think you have a point about this kind of thing affecting self esteem. It's always felt like he was the smart one, so I am sometimes surprised by myself, with how much I can accomplish, or surprised by my successes... Because I still have that pesky little feeling that I'm stupid.

My boyfriend is doing more online application than networking, he kinda looks down on "schmoozing" as he puts it. That might be running his chances honestly.

I personally got my job through what he thinks of as schmoozing; I met a recruiter at a college career fair, and talked to a bunch of employees at the career fair before I ever applied. And I think that helped me stand out from the "faceless" online applications

Another engineer defeated by such concepts as 'networking' and 'being pleasant to other people' and 'people skills.'

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The only place I can imagine insta-fail questions being appropriate are non entry level courses in med school or flight school. Q: Should you do X? A: No! You will kill the patient/crash the plane!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Enzo posted:

^^^Bad autocorrect from "complete". My apologies for poor proofreading

oh thank god, I thought I was losing my mind LOL! like poo poo, did I miss something in math?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

Full blank page provided and it wasn't a timed test.

That seems to encourage the student to just start writing and never stop. Fill as many pages as possible

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

sugar free jazz posted:

I don't know poo poo about calc (or math in general really) and that seems like a great question?

"Explain CONCEPT, and you can bring in as many examples and references as possible to help you do this." That's could fit well in Science and Social Studies easily.

It leaves things open for students who don't recall as much to still pull through based on what examples they can recall, and it keeps things open for students who have retained tons to get essentially bonus points. It doesn't punish the effort making stragglers, and it rewards the ones ahead of the curve.
It won't get too stupid long either because this is on a timed test.

We are missing some context on how this figures into the overall test. And yeah I guess the idea of what the normal grade on it would be, and at what point the extra points are extra credit territory.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Grape posted:

Uncle Enzo posted:

Full blank page provided and it wasn't a timed test.

Grape posted:

I don't know poo poo

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

One of the professors for my master's degree hid a bunch of (email the word "blue") into his pages long syllabus.

It was the most cringy, eyerolling thing ever.

Also had a professor "hide" the final exam once.

A lot of people really treat college as an extension of high school and it's dumb.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Grape posted:

I don't know poo poo about calc (or math in general really) and that seems like a great question?

"Explain CONCEPT, and you can bring in as many examples and references as possible to help you do this." That's could fit well in Science and Social Studies easily.

It leaves things open for students who don't recall as much to still pull through based on what examples they can recall, and it keeps things open for students who have retained tons to get essentially bonus points. It doesn't punish the stragglers, and it rewards the ones ahead of the curve.

We are missing some context on how this figures into the overall test. And yeah I guess the idea of what the normal grade on it would be, and at what point the extra points are extra credit territory.

Explain concept, provide anything you think is relevant, is a bad question.

Explain concept, provide information x, y, and z, is a good question. It is good because it asks for clear, specific things, that you taught in your course and are actually important for understanding the material. You can even write a rubric for it!

If you tell students to provide whatever they think is relevant, with as many words as possible, they will do that. Most of what they write will be nonsense and you will have to adjudicate on the fly how to grade them. Do you take points off for wrong information? How many? How many points do they get for correct information? What if it's only partially correct, or if it's material that you didn't teach and they pulled in from somewhere else for some weird reason? How long do you feel like grading for?

When you teach a concept within a course, there are specific things you focus on that are important. You know these ahead of time, and you know them when you are writing the exam. Assess those things on the exam in a way that is transparent to both the students and yourself.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for not inviting my husband's son to Christmas?

Imagine I bolded the whole thing.

quote:

I'll reply to you, just to show that I'm reading the comments, but if everyone here expects me to reply to their hateful comments that they are spewing at me, without even knowing me... I have better things to do with my time. All I was trying to say with the t-shirt and Jeans comment is that my family lives their life a certain way; it's not about the way he dressed, but just that he was clearly out of his depth with my son and his family, he had nothing in common with them, so even though he was polite and tried to participate, he still made everyone feel very uncomfortable, because we knew he doesn't belong in that world, and, frankly, so did he.
:guillotine:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Maybe if it’s a safety related question, I could see it. Something about proper precautions when doing industrial X-ray or hot work in volatile environments.

I also worked at a restaurant that had a week long training class about the menu and food preperation processes for all new front of house employees - you’d take a test every day, 5 tests and a final total, and they straight up told us at the start the first question on every test would be to write the mission statement word for word, and that if you got it wrong on the final you auto failed.

I never heard of anyone missing it after the second day.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

That seems to encourage the student to just start writing and never stop. Fill as many pages as possible

That's what I did. I grubbed the poo poo out of that question, I think I wrote 2 pages? (I was on an academic scholarship. I stood to lose money if my GPA was less than 3.95)

I am probably misremembering a lot, I just remember an open ended question on one test about the Derivative, and a corresponding one on the next test about the Integral.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

people like this really just need a slap right in the face

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

spacetoaster posted:

One of the professors for my master's degree hid a bunch of (email the word "blue") into his pages long syllabus.

It was the most cringy, eyerolling thing ever.

Also had a professor "hide" the final exam once.

A lot of people really treat college as an extension of high school and it's dumb.

sometimes professors do it to see who reads the syllabus, like the dude who hid $50 in plain sight and no one picked it up for the entire semester

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...nd-it-1.6284015

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

the derivative is a function that represents the rate of change of another given function. If you require more detail, kindly go gently caress yourself because this isn't an English final

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
write a long detailed explanation of the integral, then at the end add "except backwards"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

sometimes professors do it to see who reads the syllabus, like the dude who hid $50 in plain sight and no one picked it up for the entire semester

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...nd-it-1.6284015

In the student's defense, I would've assumed the money was already claimed and wouldn't have tried to claim it.