Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Resetting backasswards endlessly is my anti drug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Acerbatus posted:

So uh I walked into Delirium's room and it was just missing 80% of it's HP.

c..ool? :iiam:

i've noticed that sometimes delirium will randomly lose most of its health too and i havent found out why. not that im complaining...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Fattest PI posted:

welp

finally buckled down to get rock bottom, which requires jacob and esau to beat boss rush. On Depth II, I stumble into Genesis for the first time! Hell yeah this is a guaranteed win!

Oh it just brings you to the next floor? I guess I won't get boss rush, or any other unlocks without the polaroid

What did you think it did?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Did they change the genesis interaction with J&E? Last time I used it it was unbelievably bad (it only gives you the number of items you have on one character, and the pedastals were specially coded to not let you pick up with both characters at once).

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i've noticed that sometimes delirium will randomly lose most of its health too and i havent found out why. not that im complaining...

No kidding. Would love it if they did some work on delirium and *checks notes* rag mega hitbox

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

PostNouveau posted:

:hmmyes:

Dogma's the best boss fight in the game

It’s also the most thematically appropriate.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It’s a really good capstone to the overall story of Binding of Isaac, tying a 10 year saga together.

The sound design of its attacks and Living in The Light are just really good.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 22, 2021

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i honestly feel ending with the beast is a lot lamer than just dogma. It's another Big Monster.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ArfJason posted:

i honestly feel ending with the beast is a lot lamer than just dogma. It's another Big Monster.

It's extremely odd to have a side-scrolling fight as the climax of the game too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

PostNouveau posted:

:hmmyes:

Dogma's the best boss fight in the game

best fight and best music track by far. not even close. the beast is fine but it’s such a letdown both as a fight and in theme and aesthetics compared to dogma

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
It reminds me of how, like, three quarters of Kirby games have the last or second-to-last boss incorporate an inevitable free-flying shooter section.

The Beast is interesting because it almost feels like a loss against Dogma instead of a victory. It falls upon you, overwhelms you, and infuses you with its essence. Then you're flying through Hell (a stereotypical Christian fire-and-brimstone version, too, rather than the Sheol you enter in game) on angel's wings as you face off against the apocalyptic visions of Revelations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I know this is just echoing a generally held sentiment but man J&E loving suck. I've installed a few mods so it isn't ball crushingly hard but it's just so demoralizing when you screw yourself over because they get separated during a frantic fight or you mess up item distribution or literally anything where the twin gimmick just messes you up.

I haven't even unlocked Tained Jacob yet but I can already imagine it's going to be more fun.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Me and Delirium killed each other but the post it note went to him, not me :shepface:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nyoro posted:

Me and Delirium killed each other but the post it note went to him, not me :shepface:

The whole death animation for delirium has to finish. That's why Plan C doesn't work on him; it kills you before it can finish.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

PostNouveau posted:

The whole death animation for delirium has to finish. That's why Plan C doesn't work on him; it kills you before it can finish.

Apparently to get around that you pause/unpause during the static. The static finishes in the background during the pause and this makes it just short enough that you get the mark but obviously won't touch the trophy.

Strange interaction question. On a run with Tainted Samson. I have...
Polydactol
Bozo
Buddy in a Box
Strange Attractor
Cat-o-Nine Tails
Blue cap

I was fighting Big Horn and when my tears hit his big face he would frequently drop coins. What causes that? Strange Attractor? Dropped about 20 coins during the fight.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Strange attractor does nothing of the sort
Either a specific buddy in a box baby or you didnt list every item

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Was it a champion version? I know I’ve seen champion Larries that drop coins. When segments die, not on hit though.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

ArfJason posted:

Strange attractor does nothing of the sort
Either a specific buddy in a box baby or you didnt list every item

Must have been whatever random buddy in a box it was. Didn't happen again in the run and was very confused.

It was just a regular Big Horn. I'm playing on normal mode rather than hard just to unlock things and to learn how tainted works - on a Switch so only recentlyish got it and don't have the joy of any of the mods all you PC gamers get!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

One of the Buddy in a Box familiars causes that. I believe its tears are a bit whacky so it can be hard to hit anything except big targets.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah buddy in a box has so many cool and crazy effects it seems like the most likely culprit haha

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Acerbatus posted:

What does the job mod's tainted job do?

He basically has the Damocles effect where all pedestal item drops (so treasure rooms, bosses, but not stuff like shops) spawn 2 items instead, but at the start of each new floor a demonic hand grabs you and you randomly lose 40%~ of your items at random. He has a "pocket" active that you can use to permanently secure an item and make sure it never gets taken away, but it's on a 12-room charge and gives you a broken heart with each use. It makes for a fun game flow where you get big power spikes on each floor but then have to reevaluate your strategy on the next one, and it's a pretty clever interpretation of the biblical Job who's blessed greatly by God but then loses everything.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

and people say that items which only activate when you take damage are "bad"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuweL_Qo6r4

on a totally unrelated note, drat repentence can handle a lot more poo poo without crashing than earlier versions of isaac

e: came to the realization that this video was massively unsafe so i deleted it. i've had lingering photosensitivity since watching it a few times in a row and i've never had issues with flashing lights in my life, so, better safe than sorry. it's too bad cuz it really was a nutty item combo and it wasn't uncomfortable to play with - something about the youtube compression made it weird and bad

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 6, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jazerus posted:

and people say that items which only activate when you take damage are "bad"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuweL_Qo6r4

on a totally unrelated note, drat repentence can handle a lot more poo poo without crashing than earlier versions of isaac

Lmao. I forget what it's called but that item that makes the Ultra Greedier lasers shoot out of the walls is really cool, great example of something neat that doesn't feel out of place because it builds on something existing in the game.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How much health do tainted apollyon's void locust have?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Tell me all about mods that make Jacob and Esau fun to play but dont also trivialize their gameplay

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Acerbatus posted:

How much health do tainted apollyon's void locust have?

they’re permanent

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Attacking bugs such as Blue Flies and Blue Spiders just die the moment they damage an enemy. The locusts last forever. That being said you can only have 64 max.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Nyoro posted:

Tell me all about mods that make Jacob and Esau fun to play but dont also trivialize their gameplay

I picked up Jacob & Esau: Dual Flight and the pair of Jacob Starts with More Options! +Esau Starts with There's Options! (two separate mods in a collection on the workshop by the same author). Feels less bad only one or the other not having items (even if it is on the strong side) paired with the QoL of having to find two sources of flying to not be screwed when in the later game boss fights/rooms.

Makes them more fun to play while keeping the difficulty of the pair separating occasionally.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

pica run is the best challenge in the game

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

I have a question. I think the mystery egg achievement is bugged. Have spawned three bonies in a greed mode run, which didn't work. Any suggestions?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Finally I have beaten Speed! and the answer was: find Jacob's Ladder

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

There is some kind of minimum speed boost when going up against the Beast. I had a Maggie run where I kept getting bad luck speed downs and eventually went for them intentionally just to see how slow I could get. Managed to scrape through Dogma with 0.24 speed, but was noticeably much faster afterwards.

I don't recommend anybody try it.

Speaking of, I was attempting to screenshot my hilariously bad speed just before going into the Dogma fight, but every screenshot I took had the pause overlay. Does that happen to anyone else? How do you get around it?

e: Thank you

PostNouveau posted:

You actually receive an item when you beat Dogma:

https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Dogma_(Item)

It gives 0.1 speed, 2 damage, and enough soul hearts to get you to 6 total hearts if you're below 6

Turns out this is the result of a hidden effect. Dogma also sets your minimum speed to 1.1! There's definitely a lot of bones that item throws in your favor to give you an advantage for the shoot em up section.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Do you guys have any tips for knocking out item unlocks that require certain conditions during runs? For example I was watching a streamer recently and saw them get the "Massive Growth" card. I had to look up the conditions for that bc in the ~430 hours I've been playing Isaac I haven't gotten it by chance.

I'm sure I have a lot of stuff left like that but there isn't a super straightforward way to target those if you don't know what you're going for.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Do you guys have any tips for knocking out item unlocks that require certain conditions during runs? For example I was watching a streamer recently and saw them get the "Massive Growth" card. I had to look up the conditions for that bc in the ~430 hours I've been playing Isaac I haven't gotten it by chance.

I'm sure I have a lot of stuff left like that but there isn't a super straightforward way to target those if you don't know what you're going for.

http://theriebel.de/tboirah/

If you're on PC you can copy and paste your Steam profile ID here and it'll tick off anything you already have the achievement for. Basically anything in the "Misc" section is what you're talking about with the exception of a couple new ones added in the last expansion which all get lumped in under Repentance

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

goferchan posted:

http://theriebel.de/tboirah/

If you're on PC you can copy and paste your Steam profile ID here and it'll tick off anything you already have the achievement for. Basically anything in the "Misc" section is what you're talking about with the exception of a couple new ones added in the last expansion which all get lumped in under Repentance

Thanks! I'll take a look.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Ariong posted:

What did you think it did?

I thought it just gave you items and then plopped you back where you used it, because I'm a dumbass

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, I see. That's understandable.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Are there unlocks/achievements for Repentance hard mode clears? I know there were from Afterbirth and have all those.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I think the new non tainted characters got the same all hard unlock criterias (all normal path hard marks for a new baby) with the only outlier still being the lost. As usual im pretty sure you can only get dead god with all marks on hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sad Panda posted:

Are there unlocks/achievements for Repentance hard mode clears? I know there were from Afterbirth and have all those.

Yes, there’s a new item unlocked by getting every hard mode mark with every character.