Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Hubbert posted:

He's right, you know.

while lmao to his point on carbon capture + storage, it's why I'm so interested in the "first launch" sequence in Don't Look Up. It deliberately uses all of the technology we do have, with almost no margin of error possible. The space cowboy manning the ship even acts like your insensitive and politically incorrect 1980s American conservative ("he's from a different generation"). We have the technology - we simply just refuse to implement for numerous societal reasons. We chose not to do so back in the late 1970s, because the promise of never-ending wealth and prosperity in the 1980s seduced us. It's never too late to take action of any kind, but every day brings us closer ...

one thing the bad thread forgets is while sure, it's potentially not too late to do anything about climate change, we're not actually ever going to. The gerontocracy gives less than zero shits about climate change and has happily mashed the accelerator to the floor.

There's absolutely no way anything is going to happen until +5c is locked in, if even then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Spergin Morlock posted:

lmao if there are actually palm trees in BC

https://v.redd.it/dsnjchwtkp781/DASH_96.mp4

Serf
May 5, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

forecast for my area is saying 55°F on january 2nd

starting to treat opening my weather app with the same trepidation as a healthcare bill

where i live, on saturday the high will be 82 degrees and then on monday it will be 53. normal poo poo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Harik posted:

one thing that's really crack-pinging me lately is that literally nothing you can buy, for any price, is made to last anymore.

Houses? lol you're lucky to get a decade out of a modern one. Cars? Good luck getting through the 7 year financing without it falling apart. Clothing? I've got shirts I bought 20 years ago that are in better shape than expensive ones I bought 2 months ago. Literally falling apart after one laundry cycle.

Crapitalism discovered that people were saying "you get what you pay for" and realized they could sell the same garbage at a higher price point and people assumed it was better quality. Now you might as well buy something at the store and throw it in the trash cans on your way out and save yourself the effort of taking it home.

This is probably related to the exponentially growing pile of trash this country exports...

It's also related to why "first world" energy consumption per capita is so high, because it costs an enormous amount to make things and dispose of them, and our lifecycle is rapidly approaching 0. This is without even going into how over-packaged everything is. 15 layers of plastic and cardboard we could live with if it lasted a decade. Not so much if we have to replace it every week.

This is well beyond any individual action short of becoming a helicopter pilot, because there's no market signal you can possibly send to counteract it. They can out-advertise any boycott campaign and there's no label saying "this only lasts a month" that you can refuse to buy. it's going to require governments to intervene and lol, lmao at the thought of any government doing anything to impede the ascent of number.
the key phrase is "planned obsolescence"

Not to diminish your overall point and more of some pendantry, but most housing throughout human history was bad and didn't last. what you see in Europe and parts of the East Coast is largely buildings commissioned/owned by rich people, whereas most of the plebs would have lived in lovely timber-types that would fall apart and eventually replaced by a richer person getting a brick house build there. same goes for america, most were pretty bad unless they were more rich/rich-adjacent brick-built, or up until around late victorian/edwardian when there'd be more heavy-wood to wood-lath walls (which we can't do anymore because we used up all the good old-growth wood)

old cars also generally didn't last that long, usually what you see in terms of old cars is the ones that didn't break and owners kept maintaining. but, the one counterpoint is that older cars are much easier to repair and keep going with simple machined parts, like Hilux's are choice for poorer places because they're so easily repairable. And now cars are ofc stupidly complicated: it just takes on stupid o2 sensor or epm sensor to break and oops whole thing needs work. on the whole though, modern cars are generally more reliable these days (just don't buy american -- american cars bad bad bad)

anyways on goods, yes. cast iron and heavy metal is expensive, it costs more to ship and stock when you could just sell someone thing alloy-teflon coated pans or plastic cups and plastic bowls instead for a fraction of the price. there's two things that drove that: declining economic conditions and increasing resource scarcity, and all following marxist tendency for rate of profit to decline. as the old saying goes, it's expensive to be poor. if you're starving for money of course you're going to pickup that $9.99 walmart doodad garbage instead of spending $80 on one, but it's intentionally made to be cheap and break instantly, and as more people get poor-er they flock to dollar tree type versions and selling you less but a lower store-price. then what happens to the goods that were higher-priced but made better, they start dwindling and having to cut prices and cut quality until everything is race to the bottom planned obsolescence garbage to keep profits flowing

it's like buying a $1/roll of thin paper towels when you could get a 40-pack from costco for $12; and if you're poor you're just going to keep buying htose $1/roll paper towels.

and to reiterate, stagnant or constant profits isn't good enough under capitalism. profits have to keep rising, ever more and more. selling people something that they only need to buy once or twice is death for profits.

anyways what we've seen the past <10 years or so is the entire collapse of the "buy it for life" type products (except on the extreme-extreme super expensive commercial-side). that includes dishwashers, microwaves, refrigerators, sewing machines, whatever. in microwave example, literally every single microwave sold is now produced at 1(!) single OEM factory in china and then LG/GE/Whirlpool/etc all just put their own shell on it and maybe change a few doodads but it's all internally the same and it's all junk and breaks. fridges are also particularly bad right now

and well if you want stuff that's meant to taking a beating, you gotta pony up for some commercial-grade stuff (and no, if you can buy it at a retail store it's not commercial grade even if they say PROFESSIONAL on it), those you'll need to specially order. so there is really good durable stuff being made, it's just a price that consumes will balk at and qq so they aren't sold consumer-ishly and aren't intended to be. for consumers, plastic is choice de jour

but yes america is addicted to producing mountains of trash

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:06 on Dec 28, 2021

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
16 min into dont look up (two hour runtime wtf) and i want a sheriff conlon short imo

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

its currently 23C in Brisbane Australia right now. quite chilly near the water. I can’t remember the last time its been below 28c this time of year. usually it’s sweltering and humid and just uncomfortable. heh its a nice (climate) change

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

anyways on goods, yes. cast iron and heavy metal is expensive, it costs more to ship and stock when you could just sell someone thing alloy-teflon coated pans or plastic cups and plastic bowls instead for a fraction of the price.

counterpoint: cast iron is a pain in the rear end to clean and maintain, whereas plastic cups/bowls/etc last loving forever, and are basically indestructible.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
have u tried using soap n water

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
i work for a moving company and there's a lot of ikea furniture that we deliver and sometimes assemble. sometimes we disassemble people's ikea furniture when they're moving and put it back together when we get to their new place.

it's loving garbage.

it's so nice when we get jobs where we move furniture that's made out of solid wood and isn't garbage and is made with care instead of the cookie cutter delicate shitwood that ikea furniture is made out of.

i loving hate ikea. and their furniture. and people who buy poo poo from ikea. what a terrible loving store.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Alobar posted:

i loving hate ikea. and their furniture. and people who buy poo poo from ikea. what a terrible loving store.

ppl can buy a $40 ikea nightstand or something even if you're poor. but especially if you're a doughy midwestern transplant who just moved to an apartment in la or nyc for their new tech/marketing job, and move around a lot you don't want good furniture. or something for the kids bedroom. you want cheap that you can just throw on the street when you move out. it's merely a store reflecting the economic conditions of consumers. it's also light and can be transported in a car in flatpacks without needing specialty freight trucks to bring it to you which is further $$ that most ppl dont have

also most old furniture was made out of wood that no longer exists because we used it all up to make stupid poo poo. what's typically done now is quick-growth trees like douglas fir that are put on specific tree plantations and cut down and chopped up into oriented strand board and compressed polymer wood pieces. and then we put down more haber bosch-produced fertilizers, pumped aquifer water, and till up the soil and grow more trees there again. also applies to modern building material. i should add we even used up all the dense old-growth wood when the planet was only at like 1 billion people like 80 years ago and now we're at like 8

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fe fi fo fum
I smell the stench of a malthusian

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

apartments should all be furnished. there is no need for such a mobile population to be burning gallons and gallons of gas just to lug their stinky faux leather couch to a new complex every 6-12 months, seeding a bed bug infestation at every one

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Mayor Dave posted:

Escape was impossible and the colony is doomed. They're all too old to have kids and they don't appear to have any means of building anything or even protecting themselves from the native life. It just enhances the message - even the people who think they're smart enough to escape will fail

yeah but they couldve included people with the right skill sets, and billionaires today are doing that whole "how do we do servants?" thing. I just though the ending makes it seem like a plausible survival plan and kinda nudges towards musk/bezos being competent, when the idea itself, risk earth but have a private backup plan, is dumb at the core so it shouldnt even have been presented as plausible.

I get the gag though, its the punchline set up earlier.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
IKEA furniture is mostly compressed sawdust - a waste product and recyclable. Obviously only the unsophisticated or poor buy such things.

I demand my furniture be made of the finest solid oak planks so I know at least a 100+ year old tree was felled to make my sock drawer. That is true power and the mark of a gentleman.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

God Hole posted:

apartments should all be furnished. there is no need for such a mobile population to be burning gallons and gallons of gas just to lug their stinky faux leather couch to a new complex every 6-12 months, seeding a bed bug infestation at every one

gently caress that, apartments should all be like Dutch ones where you have to provide your own flooring so I never have to deal with carpet ever again, much less lovely landlord-provided furniture and loving fabric couches

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

gently caress that, apartments should all be like Dutch ones where you have to provide your own flooring so I never have to deal with carpet ever again, much less lovely landlord-provided furniture and loving fabric couches

Sometimes I pause to think about how practically every American "carpet" is plastic nowadays

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Check out this utterly psychopathic article on an utterly psychopathic website

https://www.plasticsmakeitpossible.com/plastics-recycling/how-to-recycle/at-home/recycle-your-carpeting/

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Owling Howl posted:

IKEA furniture is mostly compressed sawdust - a waste product and recyclable. Obviously only the unsophisticated or poor buy such things.

I demand my furniture be made of the finest solid oak planks so I know at least a 100+ year old tree was felled to make my sock drawer. That is true power and the mark of a gentleman.

lol if you dont use rosewood toothpicks

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

Noooo no soap on the cast iron stop it get the gently caress away from my pans!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:razz: THE MOMENT YOU JUST NEEDED A LITTLE BIT MORE PLASTIC :razz:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Haha holy gently caress

That moment you and your spouse had a few words… right before the guests arrived. (We’ve all been there.)

Picture of crying lady with runny mascara

They’ve arrived! Time for a quick makeup touch up. That little mascara wand will come in handy right now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

fanfic insert posted:

yeah but they couldve included people with the right skill sets, and billionaires today are doing that whole "how do we do servants?" thing. I just though the ending makes it seem like a plausible survival plan and kinda nudges towards musk/bezos being competent, when the idea itself, risk earth but have a private backup plan, is dumb at the core so it shouldnt even have been presented as plausible.

I get the gag though, its the punchline set up earlier.

It's hilarious to me that I'm sure the logic behind superyachts is "we can always just fish for unlimited food!" :downs:

They exclaim, as the bosun reels up the second knockoff Barbie doll torso of the day.

-----

Complete aside, if you want to punch your monitor, check out this poo poo making the rounds on US television: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOURX29-eFQ

The O&NG industry literally weaponized the "Come Back, Zinc" filmstrip from The Simpsons.

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 06:31 on Dec 28, 2021

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Alobar posted:

dont forget it was founded by a nazi

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Owling Howl posted:

I recently helped a friend move some 15-year-old Ikea furniture that had already survived a bunch of moves. It was honestly in pretty good condition and held up fine to us manhandling it into the back of a pickup truck. It really just comes down to how you build the stuff (use glue unless you're sure you want to disassemble it) because there's no reason the actual materials should fall apart.

It's cheap poo poo but so is a lot of stuff :shrug:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Homeless Friend posted:

The issue is not washing it (although they are pretty drat heavy and you really need one of those large sinks to wash them in). You also need to dry it quite well afterwards (usually by heating it on an oven). Otherwise it rusts and you need to use chain glove to remove the rust layer, then re-season it, which takes a while and creates a lot of smoke.

I've cooked with rust iron pans and woks for years, after one day saying gently caress it and giving them to my sister. I can safely say my kitchen experience has been way more enjoyable since.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The trick is to just don't worry about seasoning the pans. Let them look gross, clean them vigorously, and use butter or oil when you need foods to not stick.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Paradoxish posted:

I recently helped a friend move some 15-year-old Ikea furniture that had already survived a bunch of moves. It was honestly in pretty good condition and held up fine to us manhandling it into the back of a pickup truck. It really just comes down to how you build the stuff (use glue unless you're sure you want to disassemble it) because there's no reason the actual materials should fall apart.

It's cheap poo poo but so is a lot of stuff :shrug:

IKEA is better quality than most of the particleboard garbage at its price point tbh. it'll last longer than 99% of the poo poo you can get off Wayfair

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

fanfic insert posted:

dont forget it was founded by a nazi

you can probably name all the companies not founded by a nazi on one hand

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the criticism of ikea furniture is of the concept of furniture that is closer to disposable than not. In general, for a population, having a giant global retail empire flying around ten trillion tons of pressed sawdust that makes low durability furniture that generally needs replaced all the time is a trillion times more wasteful than just regular tree murder giving someone a table or a dresser that lasts for 200 years. Then again we just replace the durable goods for stylistic reasons anyway.

I know my mother still has her grandmother's dresser shes moved a million times over the past 50 years and my dumb rear end has had a steady stream of cargo planes airlifting about 35 of those loving 4 drawer ikea dressers to me

the problem is it doesn't matter anymore so I'm going to try and get something stylish

I'd go for solid ivory but elephants have done nothing to me, yet

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 07:25 on Dec 28, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I was a little disappointed the movie didn't come up with any bought and paid-for scientists to say the comet isn't actually on a crash course/wouldn't be extinction-level, but I guess that would be too real

there was one, the head of NASA came out and said it's no big deal then resigned in disgrace to protect the president

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I liked the bit where they didn't listen to the main characters because they were from University of Michigan, not an ivy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah I was really scoffing at the idea of the colony ship. Especially the idea that they could freeze themselves like that.

I was disappointed they were eaten by dinosaurs. when I saw the cryo pods full of oil execs I was sure they would disembark to simply find everyone who bought a ticket is too old to reproduce

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Rutibex posted:

there was one, the head of NASA came out and said it's no big deal then resigned in disgrace to protect the president

a lady who looked suspiciously like neera tanden lol

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
CSPAM > Biosphere Collapse: Don't look up spoiler thread

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Rutibex posted:

I was disappointed they were eaten by dinosaurs. when I saw the cryo pods full of oil execs I was sure they would disembark to simply find everyone who bought a ticket is too old to reproduce
That's in there too, they just don't call it out explicitly. All but one or two passengers we see are old. Had to be a deliberate visual cue.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Owling Howl posted:

there is so, so much cool used furniture out there i dont know why anyone would buy new

and a used sock drawer made out of a 100+ year old oak is better for the environment than a new ikea whatever

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The issue is not washing it (although they are pretty drat heavy and you really need one of those large sinks to wash them in). You also need to dry it quite well afterwards (usually by heating it on an oven). Otherwise it rusts and you need to use chain glove to remove the rust layer, then re-season it, which takes a while and creates a lot of smoke.

I've cooked with rust iron pans and woks for years, after one day saying gently caress it and giving them to my sister. I can safely say my kitchen experience has been way more enjoyable since.

i just wipe em down with another rag (no visible water), leave me at 5% tilt on some other rag for any miniscule evaporation. is very true they're heavy as balls and u need big sink. also hot af water to blast em

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

The AJ article links to this study, which I remembered having read at some point and it's still pretty funny. The joke is that there is a lifestyle that's materially sustainable in the sense that it requires around 8000 kg of yearly inputs as defined in the study instead of 30k+, and it's basically living the life of a broke vegetarian undergrad student in Helsinki forever. A substantial upgrade for many people on the planet sure, but imagine getting elected in a rich democracy on that premise. Once again we're back to the destruction of most aspects of a market economy as a necessary starting point to sustainability, and of the idea that good times mean you get to have more stuff.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Why would anyone buy plastic spoons or wood items made from glued strips of wood? I bought my wooden cooking utensils from a local outdoor market 15+ years ago, and they work fine still.

I wanted a bigger ladle so I found one from Estonian tourist shop in Tallinn. I think it was 10€ and some local carpenter made them. The neck got slightly tilted after use, I guess it dried out to a different position. Doesn't affect the use though.

If you see garbage products just leave them to the shop. Don't buy them. At least in Finland it is still possible to find durable items, just have to look around. I use 2nd hand military clothes and boots so durability in clothes is not an issue either. Leo Köhler t-shirts are OK too, bundeswehr t-shirt copies. You can buy socks made in Finland, Germany etc which last a very long time.

If you need nice shoes look at Sanders & Sanders, Loake 1880, Red Wing etc Goodyear welted shoes. They're like 300€/pair but durability does not come for free.

If your jeans suck, look at okayamadenim. Made in Japan jeans, including the cloth used.

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 10:08 on Dec 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Rutibex posted:

I thought that was supposed to be a HUD/neurosurgeon situation where the head of NASA was an anesthesiologist.