Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Personally I interpret it as Reeve screwing up and causing Cait to make the wrong gesture, and that's why he shuffles off looking embarrassed

He's embarrassed because he's a deeply dumb character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Iscar Matthias

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Twelve by Pies posted:

They don't tell you his mom's name in the original game or Crisis Core, apparently it only gets mentioned in FF7R.

The scene with his mom is kind of sad too, replaying it. When his mom goes "Oh is that a SOLDIER uniform?" and Cloud starts to say "Mom, I" right before it cuts off, since we know Cloud came back in a regular Shinra grunt uniform it's obvious that she didn't know Cloud failed to get into SOLDIER and he's just now having to tell her, though he's being prevented from remembering. Also how even she seems to think Cloud is kind of a fuckup who can't take care of himself which is why she's like "I think you need an older woman who will take care of you."

That last line has always either been a meta-tease (since Tifa is one year younger than Cloud and Aerith one year older), or just some weird way of her figuring out Tifa's crush on Cloud and quietly disapproving.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Asterite34 posted:

Interesting how this contrasts with Remake Cait Sith, where they go with the direction of having him pound his fist on the ground in visible frustration and despair upon witnessing the plate drop like fanart of a Sonic OC reacting to 9/11. Limitation of the PS1 graphics I guess

The VA for Aerith's reaction to that owns

https://clips.twitch.tv/NaiveEvilChipmunkRickroll

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

That is amazing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think you're probably right that it's her kind of disapproving of Tifa as well, because this is how the conversation goes:

quote:

Cloud's Mom
...I'm worried about you.
There are a lot of temptations in the city...
I'd feel a lot better if you just settled down and had a nice girlfriend.

Cloud
...I'm all right.

Cloud's Mom
You should have...
an older girlfriend, one that'll take care of you.
I think that would be the perfect type for you.

Cloud's mom seems to not want him to get involved with those city slickers, so it seems like Tifa, being from his hometown would be a perfect fit, but she's trying to nudge him towards an older woman. It's possible she might also blame Tifa for him getting hurt, kind of the opposite of how the other townspeople blamed Cloud for Tifa getting hurt. This makes sense, since the other townspeople assumed that Cloud is the one who led Tifa to the mountains, but Cloud's mom likely assumed Cloud followed Tifa (and hers would have been correct if that's the case). Even though Cloud only got skinned knees, his mom still could've been like "That girl is nothing but trouble."

Though I do still think that she knew Cloud had a lot of problems and was hoping he'd settle down with a woman who'd kind of be a surrogate mother to him.

I know it gets said a lot but really, FF7 is a loving amazing game. Even if I like the job system and how fun the story is in V a lot more, there's no way any FF game is ever going to top 7 for me for favorite.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this is what i think of every time cait sith comes up lol. this woman went through the whole auditioning and acting and playing process and did a great job and then at the 11th hour its like, you do not yet fully understand what game youre in lol

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

"I don't get paid enough for this poo poo"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

yeah i was worried theyd cut cait completely and just have reeve be a party member, glad they didnt go that route. i need hd cait sith.

Least he didn't look like the FF14 one....

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Has anyone played through the Moguri Mod for FF IX, is it basically done? As in you can play through the whole game with it? Never beat IX and trying to debate between PC with that or just IX on Switch.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Least he didn't look like the FF14 one....

14 just took 11's Cait Sith model FWIW :eng101:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

That is an impressively visible surge of confusion mixed with revulsion

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Red Red Blue posted:

I'm just playing through the remake now and I was so happy when Cloud finally high fived Aerith

lol that scene and awkward leadup rocked

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
cloud strife for like a quarter of the god drat game: "someone please help, this girl is bullying me"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

cloud's a dumbass and doesnt know how to talk to chicks

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Disappointing Pie posted:

Has anyone played through the Moguri Mod for FF IX, is it basically done? As in you can play through the whole game with it? Never beat IX and trying to debate between PC with that or just IX on Switch.
There shouldn't be any problems with it that isn't documented.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

There shouldn't be any problems with it that isn't documented.

Cloud is a hillbilly enlisted liar who killed a war hero and then spent time getting experimented on of course he has no game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

drat it I missed the chat about iconic/memorable moments in FF games but someone was having a hard time coming up with moments from FFXII so I wanted to add a couple I just encountered in the past couple of days:

- Getting to the bottom of Raithwall’s Tomb and fighting Belius
- the Leviathan and its entire fleet getting annihilated by the Dawn Shard.

There are definitely more later.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

I can't remember if it was the beginning of this year or last year, but I played through all of FFIX with the Moguri Mod and had basically zero problems.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

I'm up to Ipsen's Castle. Completely playable and honestly keep forgetting it's not an official remaster. The few visual glitches you have tend to happen in cutscene heavy sections, where no map was ever drawn outside of the visible area (ie: because the camera is static). In those cases, you just get a 4:3 resolution frame with black bars down the side – seems absolutely fine to me, especially given how they're not that common.

Edit: For reference, I kept the original music; widescreen, 4k; battle rate around 28; 100% steal rate; all other modifications off (I think). Gave a good level of quality of life improvements, without ruining the fun.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Hey Tifa I got you some new fighting gloves from a chest in the sewer. A chest that had been submerged underneath the river of poo poo and piss we drained 30 seconds ago. Hope you like them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Hey Tifa I got you some new fighting gloves from a chest in the sewer. A chest that had been submerged underneath the river of poo poo and piss we drained 30 seconds ago. Hope you like them.

More reasons for Tifa to talk about needing to take a shower.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it was skipped in the list so i ask: whats the most moving/powerful moment in FFT

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Algus shooting Teta under Zalbag's orders?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

i interpret it more as 'cait sith literally cant make any sad/emotional gestures.' its only functions are combat and spying. its cover was working at the gold saucer, so it can dance around and be goofy, but there's no reason he would have built it to be able to express negative emotions. even in the scene where the first cait sith dies its all 'ah, geez, guys, it was a lot of fun!!!'

Reeve in a horrified haze trying desperately to convey his grief through an Elgato Stream Deck full of nothing but silly dance emotes

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Barudak posted:

Cloud is a hillbilly enlisted liar who killed a war hero and then spent time getting experimented on of course he has no game.
Huh? I am talking about Moguri Mod for FFIX.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

It's a serious problem. Cloud has issues so big they spill into the Moguri Mod.

The mod runs fine by the way, I played it two months ago and at worst some scenes look weird because when they made it wide-screen characters who walk off scene now just stand at the edge of the room awkwardly.

E: Oh it also has some additional cheats like 100% steal rate which I do recommend turning on.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 28, 2021

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Finally finished Intergrade, and I can honestly say I was more shocked that Dirge characters were acknowleged at all and played such a large role in the ending than Zack being somewhat alive. Especially those two walking punchlines.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Sorry, must be my Mako poisoning acting up again

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Verviticus posted:

it was skipped in the list so i ask: whats the most moving/powerful moment in FFT

I always liked the scene where Princess Ovelia is trying to play the blade of grass and Ramza has to show her how to do it properly.

You find put that it was Ramza's sister who tried to teach Ovelia to play it while they were cloistered together in a monastery.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

Sorry, must be my Mako poisoning acting up again

My posts are only bad because I got too close to Sin's toxin

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Verviticus posted:

Getting constantly owned in Dorter Port City

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Verviticus posted:

Olan deciding to write about the truth at the end of the game, only to be burned at the stake by the church. The real story doesn't even come out for a few generations after that.

I also thought the mini-story about Miluda and the rest of the Death Corpse coming to an end was quite powerful.

Still can't decide whether I like Death Corpse or Corpse Brigade better...

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I think it was funny how the omnipotent demigod Ramza seemingly survives the whole thing but the one guy who tried to uncover the conspiracy gets burned as a heretic.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Ramza was stuck in another dimension or something, right? I guess he screamed so loudly at some point that he broke the barrier like Super Buu.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

WaltherFeng posted:

I think it was funny how the omnipotent demigod Ramza seemingly survives the whole thing but the one guy who tried to uncover the conspiracy gets burned as a heretic.

Why he didn't just Galaxy Stop the whole church we'll never know.

Olan ruled in the ONE fight he's your pal in.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best part of FFT is me imagining what the end of the game would be like since I'll never see it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Most iconic moment in FFT is that fight with Wiegraf/Belius to be honest!

A lot of the evil zodiac monster fights are cool, although off the top of my head I can only think of Cuchulain (which I’m spelling wrong) and Belius. And the final battle I guess.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Verviticus posted:

Probably Rafa using the Scorpio stone to resurrect Malak or the scene where Delita pledges to Ramza that he's gonna protect Ovelia and then spends the rest of the game failing to live up to that promise in increasingly extreme ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Teta getting killed and the fort blowing up are pretty good because that's the big turning point for the main events of the game. The first zodiac fight as it happens is a pretty holy poo poo moment though when the music changes and all his stats show as question marks.

Other option is playing as TG Cid for the first time and realizing you just recruited an instant win button.