Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The most innocent interpretation I can think of is the wife is desperate to show her sister what a quality normal guy acts like during normal domestic stuff. But then sleeping in the same bed together, uh-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I hope the wife somehow engineers the husband getting trapped naked in the washing machine for the sister to walk in on.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
the Danny DeVito oil painting is a loving :master:

e: goddammit

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Virigoth posted:

Feeling stuck and unfulfilled in my romantic relationship of 8 year

quote:

I [27F] and SO [44M]

:thunk:

quote:

we’ve been together for about 8 years now and have a 7 year old boy together.

:gonk::thunk::gonk:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

a podcast for cats posted:

This sounds a bit like a setup for a weird comedy movie or sitcom episode, but I really wonder what the older sister's endgame here is.

Odds are it was someone's fantasy written one handed, but the funnier interpretation is that the older sister is trying to get herself out of the marriage without anyone noticing.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my new co worker it was misleading of him to be wearing his wedding band when he's a widower?

some people have fascinating minds

This person's username is "Ideal-Mind3099". Personally, I think that's a very misleading username since there is nothing ideal about their mind.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

The insta-fail teacher gave something example questions in the comments of that post.

quote:

While this isn't the subject or field I teach, I think a good comparison would be a 1900's European History course with the insta-fail questions being something like:

What components led up to WW1 after Franz Ferdinand's assassination?

How did the end of WW1 setup for the start of WW2?

How was Hitler able to raise to power?
Those are incredibly vague questions that shouldn't be pass/fail. Also, I'm not sure what the first one is trying to ask.

They gave an example from their actual field later.

quote:

I've been using the example of a biology course, so a learning goal might be "understand the differences between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells" and a insta-fail question might be something like "What is the main difference between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells"
So that's an open-ended question as well. There's a bunch of significant differences. I would have said that the main difference was organelles, and they made it clear later in the comments that that would have been marked wrong, because it's not the difference they were looking for.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

lumpentroll posted:

AITA for thinking of leaving my bf because of Danny Devito

Isn't there just a loving blur function in their video chat for this?

I love Danny Devito as much as the next person, but absolutely get why this guy's boss might not want him leering at their clients from the background of every call. The man is literally typecast for being repellant because he's so good at it. You don't have to get rid of it, but maybe move yourself or it to another spot so it's not just....there, creeping folks out?

Still, this a good one even if it's a creative writing exercise just bc of the thought of someone losing their career and partner over a Danny Devito cutout is some very specific end-of-2021 fuckery.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Pretty sure they made up this whole post after first thinking up the tl;dr, but it made me chuckle

My [38F] Daughter [17F] is making some some rather unfortunate clothing choices and I want to figure out the best way to respond

quote:

Okay, so my daughter is 17, though she still lives at home and doesn't have a job (she's currently enrolled in online classes until the world calms the heck down). So, obviously she's almost an adult and in normal circumstances I wouldn't dictate what she wears.

Now, the garment in question is thong underwear. I got her her first pair, I dunno, 2 years ago? I didn't think much of it. I know they aren't for everybody, but I've always been in the "it's only as sexual as you make it" camp since thongs are my daily wear.

However, since she turned 17, she's been going through a major "phase". Shirts become lower, skirts became higher, etc etc. I didn't think it was that big of a deal at first, I can remember being 17, way back in the late Paleolithic era, and I know that experimentation is a normal part of development. However, my worst nightmares have been confirmed. Apparently, defying all odds, whale tail is back in style?? I didn't believe it myself, but that's what the internet tells me and boy howdy has she taken it to heart.

A few weeks ago, I watched her leave the house with normal pants on, and 'adjust' herself so her thong is sticking out by the time she reaches her friends car. For me, this is just too much.

I told her originally that she wasn't allowed to wear thongs at all. After talking with her a little bit I decided that it is important she be able to make her own choices as she is 17 (I'm still adjusting to this reality if I'm being honest). But I made it clear to her that there was going to be some punishment in order for her flaunting her butt floss. She shrugged it off, said it was her body and that was that. She said she likes the aesthetic, something about how it frames her body, and that she'd wear it anywhere or anytime since it doesn't matter. Needless to say, it wasn't a particulalry productive discussion. Hopefully you all can see my quandary. I don't want to deny her agency. But, like, cmon. Whale tail??

And then the perfect idea hit me: If she wants to wear her thong showing, then fine ,I can't stop her. But I can show her what it's like to be on the other end.

So here's what I'm thinking. In exchange for her flaunting her thong, she is about to rock that whale tail with me in public. Her, Me, and the Walmart that's two towns over so I don't need to worry about being recognized. (if there's one place on earth that it's acceptable to have your thong showing, it's a rural Walmart after 8pm).

And me personally? I'm kind of past the point of what anybody thinks of me, I don't care about walking around with some whale tail like it's 2001 if it gets the point across to my daughter.

On the other hand, I worry about the detrimental effects of using humilation as a punishment. I want to prove a point, maybe even have a funny story to tell when she's out the other side of this phase. not scar her.

What do ya'll think? Is it a fitting punishment?

tl;dr: Do two thongs make a right?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The DeVito cutout is irrelevant. The issue is the guy's boss is blowing up at him for not letting the company decide how he decorates his house. Nothing in the OP says he's client facing, so his boss is just using that guy working from home as a way to take over more of his life because he (the boss) is an rear end in a top hat.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

a podcast for cats posted:

This sounds a bit like a setup for a weird comedy movie or sitcom episode, but I really wonder what the older sister's endgame here is.

younger sister cheats on dirtbag boyfriend with OP's husband, ends up so wracked with guilt she ends the relationship with the dirtbag and absolutely no drama ever comes from it again, no sir.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

The DeVito cutout is irrelevant. The issue is the guy's boss is blowing up at him for not letting the company decide how he decorates his house. Nothing in the OP says he's client facing, so his boss is just using that guy working from home as a way to take over more of his life because he (the boss) is an rear end in a top hat.

I'm presuming if he was about to be inheriting the business from the big boss in a small business setting, he's client-facing.

But again, there's blur functions. Maybe that would be worse bc then it's just a blurry guy hanging out in the BG?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I'm presuming if he was about to be inheriting the business from the big boss in a small business setting, he's client-facing.

But again, there's blur functions. Maybe that would be worse bc then it's just a blurry guy hanging out in the BG?

It never said anything about it being a small business setting, and he's taking over for his current boss (probably some lower-middle management type position), not the entire company.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

That OP is much more aware than most about the age gap and abuse:

quote:

Our story is surely an odd one, our age gap is pretty large and he has a daughter that is one year younger than I. Of course I was foolish when I was young and he was charming. My mother never really helped set her kids up for success as she was concerned about other things and I ended up dropping out of college and quitting my job because I became pregnant at the age of 19.

This situation isn’t enough to force me to decide to leave at this moment, but it makes me realize that this relationship isn’t going to work out in the end. At some point, I do plan on having a life without him as my romantic partner. But for now, I’m just waiting to get accepted into the nursing program...

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Motronic posted:

You can't buy a handgun legally "off craigslist" or with a "gun show loophole" (FYI, this doesn't exist) without doing the federal paperwork. Which you do not qualify for if you are not 21 or older.
I think it’s odd to jump straight to “OP is lying about everything” instead of just “OP is lying about doing the checks”. Either could certainly be true.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for letting my almost 3 year old have a Mulan birthday party?

quote:

My 2, almost 3 year old, is completely obsessed with mulan. She loves how she is tough and strong. I asked her what kind of birthday party she wants for her third birthday in February and she responded Mulan. I’ve asked her a few times and her answer is always Mulan. I’m white and her father is Mexican and Salvadoran. I don’t want to offend anyone or any culture. I’m continually working on teaching my daughter to be anti-racist.

Would it be appropriate for her to have a (strictly Disney cartoon movie) Mulan party? Obviously we would NOT use any traditional clothing, decorations or themes. Just mushu, Mulan and other characters on Disney products probably bought from party city or something.

I was told that I’m doing the wrong thing by even entertaining this idea. AITA for letting her have a mulan party?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for letting my almost 3 year old have a Mulan birthday party?

Who the gently caress is telling her it's wrong to host a Megacorporation's IP themed party? The idea of tip-toeing around cultural appropriation in America is so bafflingly stupid. Wu-Tang Wu-Tang.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Fellas is it racist for my daughter to look up someone of different race?

(My cousin's white kid was born on Cinco de Mayo and is never getting a birthday pinata)

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

AnoHito posted:

It never said anything about it being a small business setting, and he's taking over for his current boss (probably some lower-middle management type position), not the entire company.

I'm assuming bc those are usually the only places where 'Bob has worked here for over 10 years and is set to inherit the company from the boss' even exists anymore in TYOOL 2021. Unless you think 12 years in a corp gulag is somehow enough to become CEO?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I'm assuming bc those are usually the only places where 'Bob has worked here for over 10 years and is set to inherit the company from the boss' even exists anymore in TYOOL 2021. Unless you think 12 years in a corp gulag is somehow enough to become CEO?

Where on earth are you getting this "inherit the company from the boss" stuff :confused: The OP just says that the guy's immediate boss wants him to take over the immediate boss position after the immediate boss retires. There's explicitly at least one layer of leadership above the immediate boss, and the boss's boss probably isn't the owner/CEO either or else OP would have likely said that.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
How the poo poo does "It's unprofessional to constantly have a cardboard cutout of a recognizable celebrity in your background in every Zoom meeting." get parsed as "The MAN is trying to dictate how I decorate in my own home!"

FFS, he could commission a giant mural of a naked Danny Devito crawling out of the couch and put it above his monitor out of the camera shot and nobody would give a gently caress, obviously. If your skill-set is in demand go ahead shop around for a job where you can force your coworkers to look at Danny throughout every meeting I guess. But a company is perfectly reasonable to tell someone they're not going to advance in a leadership roll doing that.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Odds are it was someone's fantasy written one handed, but the funnier interpretation is that the older sister is trying to get herself out of the marriage without anyone noticing.

lol

Still sounds like the former though. I mean, why not straight-up ask his wife what her end game is?

Rescue Toaster posted:

How the poo poo does "It's unprofessional to constantly have a cardboard cutout of a recognizable celebrity in your background in every Zoom meeting." get parsed as "The MAN is trying to dictate how I decorate in my own home!"

FFS, he could commission a giant mural of a naked Danny Devito crawling out of the couch and put it above his monitor out of the camera shot and nobody would give a gently caress, obviously. If your skill-set is in demand go ahead shop around for a job where you can force your coworkers to look at Danny throughout every meeting I guess. But a company is perfectly reasonable to tell someone they're not going to advance in a leadership roll doing that.

Yeah not having a Danny DeVito cardboard cutout present in the background of meetings isn't a huge ask at all and a far cry from The Man dictating your home decor options. I do get why it could be part of a larger toxic company culture, maybe, but we only know what we know here. For the record my former boss was annoyed that I had towels drying in the background on my radiator - now that I found baffling. They were clean, too.

e: maybe the Danny DeVito cardboard cutout was covered in cum.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's important to know which Devito it is, if he looks like a relatively normal person then it's not so bad but if it's Frank Reynolds or The Penguin then you should probably move it

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Danny Devito and the Rum Ham?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for blowing up at my husband after he showed up to my workplace to trade the gift I gave him with the one I gave my boss?.

quote:

Hello.

So in every holiday celebration (Christmas in this case) I make a list of the people I'm buying gifts for and what type of gifts I'm buying. I struggled with mistreatment in my previous job but got fortunate enough to now be working in a very friendly envirnment with amazing co workers and an amazing boss. My boss has stood by my side in many many instances and I decided to include him in my gift list. I got a tie which was within average price nothing fancy, still keeping it professional and he liked it so much.

The issue started when my husband recieved the christmas gift I bought him which was a pair of sunglasses that I thought he liked. He didn't say he didn't like it but he has a bit of a passive attitude and he doesn't say his honest opinions.

Monday (yesterday) he showed up to my workplace and told my boss to trade the gift I gave him with his, my husband clearly found out what I got for my boss by looking at my list. My boss notified me while I was out and I couldn't believe it. I went home and just blew up at him for going to my workplace and bullying my boss into trading gifts with him. He said it was between him and my boss and I should stay out of it and not be sych an over-reactor. I told him I've always maintained a good and professional relationship with my boss and what he did damaged that professional relationship. He doesn't know my boss at all nor met him personally to be this comfortable with him. He said that my boss is "human" and I should stop walking on eggshels just to keep my job but it's not like that at all. That is just not my point. We had a huge argument over that and he said that unlike us women, "them" men don't see it as big issue and are a lot more chill than us when it comes to "etiquette" and that kind of stuff us women obssess over though my boss was obviousy weirded out and upset and it WAS a big deal since he wants to speak to me asap. My husband also said it's basically my fault he didn't like the original gift I bought for him so that's on me.

We're both mad and have basically been arguing with each other eversince.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Rescue Toaster posted:

Because it doesn't make a single iota of difference to his performance? It's his home, and it's not his fault a pandemic came and made it his workplace as well. It's a constant struggle at the moment to keep being "you" not some drone who just eats works and sleeps, and if a cardboard cutout of Danny DeVito helps him do that then more power to him.

If my job wants to start telling me how to decorate rooms in my house they can rent them from me at a fair market rate. gently caress 'em.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for going to Starbucks on Christmas ?

quote:

Throwaway.

On Christmas morning our coffee machine was down. Wasn’t working because we needed to change the filter so every cup of coffee we tried to make was GROSS. Obviously the family was completely disappointed. I offered to go get everyone a Starbucks since I knew it was open, which isn’t normal because normally on Christmas I stay in the house all day but I’d make an acceptation. My fiancés mom was so happy and thanked me, and so was his grandma.

I ordered about $30 worth of Starbucks, explained to them I was sorry to be one of those people to come on Christmas and tipped $100.

My friend found out today and started lecturing me about what an entitled rear end in a top hat I was and how me and my fiancés family could of gone one day without coffee. How we ruined their Christmas by going there and how we are disgusting for using people on a holiday. She has now decided I’m a bad person and doesn’t want anything to do with us. AITA?

UPDATE:

So we have come to the conclusion this is not about coffee. She never liked my fiancé because for a couple of months he was jobless and I paid all the bills. But what she didn’t know was I let him take a couple months to take a break because he was literally working himself to death, and when I got into an accident he immediately got a job so I could take a couple months off and heal. He and I have always taken care of each other but she said what he did was financial abuse. She didn’t like his family either and called them enablers of a manipulator (???). She and I also got into a fight because our friend is pregnant, she didn’t have the emotional strength to go through with an abortion and decided to give it up for adoption. I was fully supportive on whatever she decided, my friend decided to bring stats on abuse and neglect for adopted children and tried to shame her into keeping it. Our friend has always said she didn’t want children, and had been using protection but you know… life happens. She has blocked that friend (she didn’t even know until I talked to her about what happened) and obviously used this as her excuse to block me.

Thanks for all the love!!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Shwoo posted:

The insta-fail teacher gave something example questions in the comments of that post.

Those are incredibly vague questions that shouldn't be pass/fail. Also, I'm not sure what the first one is trying to ask.

Yeah they're vague in the sense that they could have multiple possible answers, and are big open questions to a degree, debate starters.
Like "Ok yeah the treaty of Versailles might be our main contributor, but was Prussian militarism baked into this new German nation state? Without that being dealt with was Germany going to keep" yadda yadda.

This might just be a case of a STEM dude dipping into Humanities class content unthinkingly though.

Like he's thinking in simple "GERMAN LOSS + BAD ECONOMY = HITLER" terms.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my new co worker it was misleading of him to be wearing his wedding band when he's a widower?

some people have fascinating minds

I SEE YOUR FACEBOOK RELATIONSHIP STATUS IS SET TO MARRIED, THIS MAY BE MISLEADING TO CERTAIN PEOPLE. I ADVISE YOU AT LEAST CHANGE IT TO "IT'S COMPLICATED"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for blowing up at my husband after he showed up to my workplace to trade the gift I gave him with the one I gave my boss?.

As someone that's had to defend my spouse from a former boss of mine, it's weird to see it the other way around.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I came into this expecting the gift for the boss to be something massively inappropriate, like a gaming console or something. To find out this jerk husband is going to blow everything up over a tie?

quote:

He didn't say he didn't like it but he has a bit of a passive attitude and he doesn't say his honest opinions.

Although I knew this guy sucked as soon as I read that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm also curious as to what would have happened if he saw a gift he liked better on that list that was given to, say, her father.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Toobin made his coworkers look at his dick and he didn’t get fired it seems like making your coworkers look at Danny Devito shouldn’t be that big a deal.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

bird with big dick posted:

Toobin made his coworkers look at his dick and he didn’t get fired it seems like making your coworkers look at Danny Devito shouldn’t be that big a deal.

just have that scene where Frank Reynolds crawls out of the couch buck rear end naked playing in a loop on a tv in the background

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

just have that scene where Frank Reynolds crawls out of the couch buck rear end naked playing in a loop on a tv in the background

You see I need to have this on 24/7 for my mental health. Of course I can't actually see it, it's behind me and only my co-workers can see it, but without it I would just be a soulless drone. If it were off camera where only I could see it, it wouldn't work.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Moving the big cutout so you look more professional for your promotion is the smallest hill yet that people have been willing to burn down their lives for. If my boss wanted to pay me an extra 10 to 100 grand and all I needed to do was shift a cutout during zoom meetings then that cutout is getting shifted.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
It's not moving the cutout, it's the boss blowing up at him for not moving it.

Like it or not the company doesn't actually have the right to tell him how he decorates his home, and if the boss is going to start screaming at him about it instead of having a professional conversation then chances are they don't think as highly of him as the OP thinks they do.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I will never jeopardize the Frank Reynolds cutout

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
When you think about it, working from home makes whatever room you're working in the office. And the boss has every right to dictate what goes on in the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
just moving the cutout or using a background setting during meetings makes me wonder if there is a lot more to it and how the dude decorates his house was just the last straw.

Boss who is grooming him to take over maybe being overbearing on how he needs to appear now that he will be "management".

Like it started with making him get rid of his "you don't have to be crazy to work here -- but it helps!" mug and now it is to the point he is making him change up his house lol