Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
are people still pushing horse paste or did that trend die off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

Remember when the president suggesting bleach and UV was the dumbest thing of all time

This is so much worse.

at least we got great memes from trump

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

ramped up testing means adding a person onto spot 69420 in the testing queue

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

Has anyone ever confronted you with your scary gasmask?
Oct 26, 2020 17:34 :

Pingui posted:

Actually just remembered someone did comment one time: a teenager muttered "survivalists" to his buddy. That is the totality of comments I have received.

Nothing since then.

Pingui fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 28, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gio posted:

at least we got great memes from trump

Why not give Trump back his Twitter account.

What do we have to lose?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

space chandeliers posted:

ramped up testing means adding a person onto spot 69420 in the testing queue

Neoliberalishly: they have access to testing

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

My wife wanted to watch Don’t Look Up and I hated it. Gave me anxiety and I thought it was depressing because we’re living through it right now. I needed to take something to calm down and get it out of my head.

Especially with the cdc changes for asymptomatic COVID positive people and also not requiring a negative test before returning to work.

I think it gave me a nightmare

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Mr. Pizza posted:

I think it gave me a nightmare

Light comedies in 2021 are not for the faint of heart.

Fetlife Kuli
Dec 8, 2021

The world moves on a marten's lips

Weaponized Autism posted:

I don't think it's actively pushed but from anecdotal experience that's because it's now firmly entrenched as a COVID cure.

The pushers have moved on to milk and benedryl because I'm sure whoever is coming up with these cures woke up one morning wanting to see how many people they could push into acute psychosis during the omicron wave.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I guarantee there are memos going around that we are going to find out about in a 2026 foia request that say something like "we have to take actions to destigmatize the virus and get people used to living with it, so make The Science say that"

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Pingui posted:

Oct 26, 2020 17:34 :

Nothing since then.

gif of chris redfield punching boulders and at the end it says "im a survivalist"

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Weaponized Autism posted:

It's still happening, but if you don't live in the right-wing cinematic universe, you don't hear about it anymore.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Acelerion posted:

I guarantee there are memos going around that we are going to find out about in a 2026 foia request that say something like "we have to take actions to destigmatize the virus and get people used to living with it, so make The Science say that"

Trump loving said it out loud in summer 2020.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

*descending from moment of sublime torpor and looks at screen*

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Like I honestly wonder if Fauci and/or Biden or Harris understand this is an existential threat to civilization and that they are playing an instrumental role in the end of not only the American Empire but probably America as a civilization/society.

Like does anyone realize that Biden just gave one of the most important presidential statements in history?

I'm sorry what's happening?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DataDrivenMD/status/1475626570823831556

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

america took positivity culture a bit too literally

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fetlife Kuli posted:

I don't think it's actively pushed but from anecdotal experience that's because it's now firmly entrenched as a COVID cure.

The pushers have moved on to milk and benedryl because I'm sure whoever is coming up with these cures woke up one morning wanting to see how many people they could push into acute psychosis during the omicron wave.

Hatman for CDC director IMO.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pillowpants posted:

Can we talk about how 13 states have seen 100%+ Hospitalization Increases since Thanksgiving?

Yeah, this is what I was talking about when I said that the hospitalization numbers are horrifying. This isn't the current wave. This is still lag.

It's going to get much worse.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

it's happening

Fetlife Kuli
Dec 8, 2021

The world moves on a marten's lips

Platystemon posted:

Hatman for CDC director IMO.

Hatman 2024: A force of nature you can bargain with

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

he was right

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
https://twitter.com/klts0/status/1475705945703567360?s=19

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Platystemon posted:

I have all of 3M’s elastomeric half masks in medium size. That’s 6200, 6502, 7502, and HF-802SD Secure Click. The sizing for all of them is 1/2/3 on the last digit signify small/medium/large except for the first series where it’s the second digit that works like that (i.e. 6100/6200/6300 are S/M/L respectively). I wear large hats and I swear I don’t have Charlie Kirk face. My proportions are flawless. All of these “mediums” fit well enough. None are particularly larger or smaller than the others.

Three of 3M’s half mask respirators have silicone seals. the 7502 is primarily made of silicone. The 6502 and HF-802SD have silicone structures overmoulded onto nylon. The silicone doesn’t coat the nylon cores. It hangs off of them in a longish flexible “flap”. There’s not really any downside to this approach so far as I can tell, versus full silicone.

I don’t know if I would rank the 6200 or 7502 higher in comfort and general use. 6200 leaves more room for eye protection and it’s the only model where a purpose-built exhaust filter is available (part number 604). 7502 is silicone, which I do like, and it forms a good seal, but the shape is not perfect for my face. If anything, it’s too flexible. The 6502 is the best of both worlds. It’s silicone where it matters, and it fits me like a glove. It’s lighter, cheaper, and has a lower profile than the 7502 as well.

3M markets the 7500 series as “Ultimate Comfort” and the 6500 series as “Rugged Comfort”, but as I see it, they just want to get their money’s worth out of 7501/7502/7503 tooling. The 6500 is a newer design and it’s just better. I’m sure there are people out there for whom the fit on the 7500 series is superior, but don’t pay a premium for it, sight unseen, with the expectation that of course it’s the best because that’s how it’s marketed and priced.

The 6200 uses different and less durable elastic straps than all the others. These will fray. It takes thousands of don/doff cycles, or years in storage, but it does happen. They’re made of polyisoprene, which may be more allergenic than the others. It’s not natural latex, but several goons in this thread seem to have allergies to polyisoprene. Just buy a new respirator when the straps get worn. The 6200 is like twelve bucks and the same price as replacement straps.

HF-802SD pinches my nose funny and it’s something like twice the weight of the 6502. It takes special cartridges that are stocked by fewer suppliers, come in less variety, and cost more. The speech diaphragm helps a little—there are times when I wear that respirator specifically because it has it—but it’s not a miracle worker and if I really need to be heard I wear a disposable filtering-facepiece respirator.

Everything but the Secure Click take 3M’s bayonet mount cartridges. The Secure Click takes Secure Click cartridges, obviously. I use 7093 filters on everything that will take them. These are hard cased P100, designed to be worn through decontamination showers. The Secure Click has these pink ping pong paddle things that I’d have to look up the part number on. It’s the basic P100 option. I have considered buying cartridges with nuisance gas relief just to get different colors, but I never actually have.

It’s worth noting that the “fabric” filters (ping pong paddles for Secure Click, “pancakes” on bayonet mount) are water‐resistant. I can’t say I would be confident wearing them in a shower, but they are supposedly at least as resistant as FDA‐certified surgical masks. I certainly have worn respirators with 7093 cartridges through showers and they perform as promised.

I also have a Honeywell North RU8500 in size medium that I bought in early 2020. It has a speech diaphragm, which works less well than 3M’s. The body of the respirator is wholly silicone, with other plastic parts like the exhalation valve housing embedded in it after it was moulded. This silicone is much thicker and floppier than 3M’s. The seal it forms on me is not robust. It’s airtight if undisturbed, but it’s certainly not my first choice to wear into a hazardous environment. I don’t know if the North design is flawed or if this is a “me” problem, but I don’t like it

User seal checks are fine on everything. I have no complaints. Maybe I’m the wrong person to ask about that because I’ve never found them to be frustrating on anything with the exception of some valved filtering facepiece respirators where it’s hard to block the valve effectively.

This is way more words than you may have wanted, but you asked a lot of questions.

tl;dr: 3M 6500 series is great, 3M’s other HMERs are fine, not a fan of Honeywell North’s product

Does the 6500 use the same filter carts as the 7500?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Acelerion posted:

Yep. Also: “What is an appropriate definition of endemic so that we can declare the pandemic over.”

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

tbf this one made more sense a year ago

nowadays everyone is openly encouraged to suck n gently caress all day along as long as they get their worthless lazy asses to work the next day

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Does the 6500 use the same filter carts as the 7500?

Yes.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the dignity of Selling Your Labor

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

This song and video own. Perfect covid thread track

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Hahahahhaaha

I just realized that the Hospitalization numbers i pull from HHS doesn't include VA hospitals

hahhaahahahhahahahaa

PING

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
anybody know where i can get one of those cool face domes like the goon with the skull respirator?

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Fetlife Kuli posted:

Wait until you hear about this covid-cure called datura that grows naturally in many city parks. Big Pharma hates it!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AppleNippleBOB posted:

This song and video own. Perfect covid thread track

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

There but 4 I go. If this poo poo kills me, remember me as the bad poster I always was.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

good news from denmark, the regions have discovered that covid hospitalization numbers are actually much lower than the official numbers suggest. no, the total numbers haven't dropped, but they're hospitalized with covid, not for covid. this is good news. this is good news.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

this is great news, the sooner we achieve mild herd immunity the better. perhaps they could put the virus in the water or spray it over cities from planes?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Pillowpants posted:

Hahahahhaaha

I just realized that the Hospitalization numbers i pull from HHS doesn't include VA hospitals

hahhaahahahhahahahaa

PING

https://www.accesstocare.va.gov/Healthcare/COVID19NationalSummary

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1475841625637097477

:rubby:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

mistermojo posted:

this is great news, the sooner we achieve mild herd immunity the better. perhaps they could put the virus in the water or spray it over cities from planes?

they should just turn off the water treatment plants and not tell anyone