Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

sure okay posted:

Just finished and I thought it was great!

Ive played all the games extensively and have read none of the books. I thought there was some primo A+ witchering here.

“Lets see what what the local SA thread has to say about it,” I say to myself. Big mistake.

You book readers are insufferable. They could cater to your every whim and it still wouldnt be enough.

At this point I hope in S3 Geralt becomes a Santa Monica real estate agent, just to incense you all even more.

you should read the books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Asehujiko posted:

The entire Baba Yaga plot should've been condensed into a monster of the week episode

In fact, every episode should be a monster of the week episode because

Open Source Idiom posted:

Camp owns. Season 2 was worse for having less camp IMO.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

people liked the first episode the most since it had the most monster girl scenes with the Bruxa.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

And, you know, an excellent performance by Kristofer Hivju, neat horror vibes, and a good self-contained story.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Would you guys gently caress a Bruxa?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zzulu posted:

Would you guys gently caress a Bruxa?

Bold of you to assume you get a vote

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Left to right: Nivellen, Vereena, Geralt

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

people liked the first episode the most since it had the most monster girl scenes with the Bruxa.

Right

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

sure okay posted:

Just finished and I thought it was great!

Ive played all the games extensively and have read none of the books. I thought there was some primo A+ witchering here.

“Lets see what what the local SA thread has to say about it,” I say to myself. Big mistake.

You book readers are insufferable. They could cater to your every whim and it still wouldnt be enough.

At this point I hope in S3 Geralt becomes a Santa Monica real estate agent, just to incense you all even more.

well, you seem like you're the one who is mad. i'm never wrong about these things btw...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

itry posted:

And, you know, an excellent performance by Kristofer Hivju, neat horror vibes, and a good self-contained story.

It was pretty much the best episode of S2 to me since had everything such as a memorable monster, an interesting setup and also the end reveal.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I feel like ShowFoltest is the character I'm most dissapointed in. Partly because he's bloody great in the games, but I think his characterisation in the first short story is way better.

The show has him kind of useless and ineffective whilst this monster ravages his kingdom. But in the book he's much more involved in recruiting Geralt, and he's much more open and honest about the problem. He feels like a man who is finally overcoming his fear and guilt.

I also like how he's friendly and reasonable, but still an absolute monarch who could totally have you executed if you piss him off. Something the second game absolutely nailed in a really short space of time - he's by far the best King in the Northern Kingdom, but Kings are still awful.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I also like how he's friendly and reasonable, but still an absolute monarch who could totally have you executed if you piss him off. Something the second game absolutely nailed in a really short space of time - he's by far the best King in the Northern Kingdom, but Kings are still awful.

Game Foltest is the bro and the intro to W2 where you're bodyguarding him is probably the finest opening in any video game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

Game Foltest is the bro and the intro to W2 where you're bodyguarding him is probably the finest opening in any video game.

Also how the whole set piece intro level in the beginning of the game was all because this Guy Fucks !

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hey remember in S1 when Yennefer expressed regret about not being able to get pregnant and be a mother and that whole ep and her meeting Geralt was based around it?

Well that’s all dumpstered and I guess her relationship with Ciri and care for her will be based on uhhhhh something else I guess.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

AlternateAccount posted:

Hey remember in S1 when Yennefer expressed regret about not being able to get pregnant and be a mother and that whole ep and her meeting Geralt was based around it?

Well that’s all dumpstered and I guess her relationship with Ciri and care for her will be based on uhhhhh something else I guess.

Her setup to care for Ciri is the same in the books and show (by the end).

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

AlternateAccount posted:

Plenty of people want to be mothers and also sell children to buy luxury goods. This is just nuanced characterization

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

chaosapiant posted:

Her setup to care for Ciri is the same in the books and show (by the end).

It’s way more pointed toward her feeling guilty and trying to prove she’s not a complete piece of poo poo to Geralt. The S1 events could have never happened and it would be the same.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Zzulu posted:

Just give me Henry Cavill slaying men and monsters with swords and such please and training Ciri to slay men and monsters with swords

maybe every now and then have Yennefer appear to slay men and monsters with magic

Agreed. These deep and dramatic political machinations of make believe kingdoms I know nothing about based on ancient legends I know nothing about is kind of dull.

Give me an X-Files monster of the week show with a Witcher.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Agreed. These deep and dramatic political machinations of make believe kingdoms I know nothing about based on ancient legends I know nothing about is kind of dull.

Give me an X-Files monster of the week show with a Witcher.

i would be into that but i still wouldnt trust the writers of this show to make it

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i just want geralt (and sometimes ciri and sometimes yenn) to start an episode wandering into a town and encountering some monster rumours. hm might be some paid work in it. it has been weeks or months since the last episode, never really clear. doesn't matter these people all live for centuries. anyway geralt investigates the job and it turns out to be a grim twist of what he initially thought it was. dark family histories. curses. interdimensional witches. whatever! then he kills it and moves on, following the path.

about 5-10 minutes can be dedicated to a long running arc in the background that will flare up periodically throughout the 6 season run, leading up to it being the focus of the last 3-5 episodes where everything is resolved and then the show ends suggesting that geralt just continues on doing what he does for another hundred years.

is that so hard

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

i would be into that but i still wouldnt trust the writers of this show to make it

All the MOTW episodes they make are great though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

All the MOTW episodes they make are great though.

it would be too similar to x-files (four non-motw episodes every season that are boring and dont make sense)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I feel like you could make the MotW episodes and the overall (Ciri) plot tie into each other pretty well, meaning even episodes that at first glance appear unrelated could be part of building up towards the finale/building up the importance of Ciri. Like, the whole "New (takes on old) monsters in the world" thing is a good setup for adding some danger to what Geralt might initially assume to be routine jobs, and show off why he's the best by having a lazy witcher die due to not caring about the obvious clues that something is different. That's Geralt taken care off for the majority of the season.

Ciri's plot could frankly be left largely untouched, since it's essentially an extended montage section taking her from princess to aspiring monster slayers.

For Yennefer, the MotW plot could be replaced with MotSeason stuff, as well as being her being our eye on the overall political plot. You could still have a few scenes with characters like Dijkstra, to indicate that big poo poo is going down behind the scenes, but otherwise the political plot should be mostly seen through Yennefer's eyes. Like, let her carry out her own investigation of the Deathless Mother, showing that while she's desperate to get her power back she is smart enough to not just say yes to the first crone that comes around. Have us see the Fringilla/Cahir/Francesca plot through her eyes, with her realizing that they've definitely been duped, and deciding to go visit the site she was supposed to take Ciri to to learn more. Where she of course bumps into Geralt (it's Fate!) doing his own investigation as in the show.

With their plot threads united, the two go back to the temple while figuring out exactly who/what they're dealing with, Ciri and Meir both. Have Francesca's baby get killed here and Voleth Meir freed during the explanation of what she is, and then show her trying to seek out Ciri. Upon arriving at the temple they realize something is wrong, and Ciri and Yennefer do the whole teleport thing except to Kaer Morhen, to get Ciri out of harms way (and Ciri out of the temple before she brings the whole thing down), while Geralt dispatches the would-be kidnappers. The teleport also makes it real easy for Meir to find Ciri, thus setting up the final episode, except Yennefer comes into the situation from a very different position.

tl;dr: Lean into the investigation stuff that's usually associated with MotW shows, but tune it to the core characteristics of Geralt/Yen. Geralt is all about the details/instinct, while Yen is big picture and scheming, and those characteristics are emphasized in how they're used in the plot. Geralt deals with MotW stuff on his journey dealing with the Ciri plot, Yennefer MotSeason stuff dealing with the politics plot. The latter would also help sell Yen as older than she looks, which I feel this season really failed at.

e: Alternatively, just let Cavill run the show and see what he does with it

https://twitter.com/Aleatory_Fox/status/1475521960172036098

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 29, 2021

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Yeah drat that was one of weightiest scenes in the season, they should let him take over.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I find it odd that she was considering mining that scene for “meta” comedy. It suggests someone who doesn’t get the characters or, you know, basic emotional reactions to things. Which I would have thought were preconditions for being a showrunner for anything.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Beefeater1980 posted:

I find it odd that she was considering mining that scene for “meta” comedy. It suggests someone who doesn’t get the characters or, you know, basic emotional reactions to things. Which I would have thought were preconditions for being a showrunner for anything.
I don't really find it surprising, given the dominance of the MCU. There are a lot of people in that Hollywood/pop culture environment who believe quips and ironic detachment should be jammed into everything no matter how appropriate to the story of the characters.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

There's a lot of bad shows, but this show is good. The thread is flip-flopping between wanting a more faithful representation of the books (which includes tomes worth of people discussing politics and intrigue) and a fun monster of the week show (pretty much only the short story collections and that part where the Witcher chills in with the French dudes).
By contrast, I am really enjoying this show, and all y'all can suck it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like this show but the narrative is all over the place. It could be a lot tighter. Fortunately there is so much about it I like (Henry Cavill) that it's fine if it's a bit messy

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 29, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't really find it surprising, given the dominance of the MCU. There are a lot of people in that Hollywood/pop culture environment who believe quips and ironic detachment should be jammed into everything no matter how appropriate to the story of the characters.

Ultimately, this kind of thing tests well right now in terms of what people want in their television. Simple, light stakes escapism with large flashy distractions and nothing remotely uncomfortable, up to and including scenes with unbroken dramatic tension.

It sucks, but what are you gonna do? Improve material conditions among the working classes? Remove the commerce impulse behind mass media? Encourage audiences to engage with more difficult media, rather than the anesthetising escapism of your typical Marvel film? That's, like, crazy talk man.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Beefeater1980 posted:

The original moment was probably:

*Geralt gets another horse*

Geralt: "C'mon, Roach."

*Ciri has startled look on her face*

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Open Source Idiom posted:

It sucks, but what are you gonna do? Improve material conditions among the working classes? Remove the commerce impulse behind mass media?

That's a lol from me because my favourite TV show had a negative review amounting to 'well it depicts all these problems under the idea of being realistic but what is the point of showing these things if the show can't do a single thing about them?'

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Next time on The Witcher: Geralt, the hundred year old mutant supersoldier, has an actual nervous breakdown and full-on panic attack at the realization of how difficult parenting a young teenager can be. Shani has to reassure him that he did not suffer a heart attack but G is still out of action. Will he ever be back to his normal confident self?

In the comedic B-plot Jaskier tries to hold down the Fort at Kaer Morhen but cooking and cleaning is not this nobleman bard's forte.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Haramstufe Rot posted:

There's a lot of bad shows, but this show is good. The thread is flip-flopping between wanting a more faithful representation of the books (which includes tomes worth of people discussing politics and intrigue) and a fun monster of the week show (pretty much only the short story collections and that part where the Witcher chills in with the French dudes).
By contrast, I am really enjoying this show, and all y'all can suck it.

I mostly know The Witcher from watching playthroughs on YouTube of the video games. I'm fine with political intrigue but they introduce so much fantasy foo-foo bologna that I can't keep up and I stop caring. I listened to one of the audiobooks and it got exhausting and felt like a weird fantasy/romance novel hybrid.

I'm a simple man I just want to see Superman swing a sword, kill monsters and occasionally say gently caress 🤷‍♂️

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 29, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I never read the books because I don't want to read some butchered fan translation, but I like the games a whole bunch. A monster of the week show could be fun, but I doubt they have the budget to do that right. It makes sense to focus more on the political element with an ensamble cast, especially since game of thrones was such a huge success. S1 did a terrible job of that, with the time skipping nonsense and characters with no characterization and nothing to do. S2 largely fixed the problems with S1 and threw in a few great monster moments too; that's a win in my book.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

thotsky posted:

I never read the books because I don't want to read some butchered fan translation, but I like the games a whole bunch. A monster of the week show could be fun, but I doubt they have the budget to do that right. It makes sense to focus more on the political element with an ensamble cast, especially since game of thrones was such a huge success. S1 did a terrible job of that, with the time skipping nonsense and characters with no characterization and nothing to do. S2 largely fixed the problems with S1 and threw in a few great monster moments too; that's a win in my book.

What language would you read the books in? Because they’ve been professionally translated into English for a while now.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The english editions I saw published here were really bad, like worse than anime boxset bundled light novel bad.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

thotsky posted:

The english editions I saw published here were really bad, like worse than anime boxset bundled light novel bad.

I mean i only speak English so have nothing to compare them to, but I’ve read them through a number of times and didn’t see anything wrong with them?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

thotsky posted:

the david french translations are godlike

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I like this show but the narrative is all over the place. It could be a lot tighter. Fortunately there is so much about it I like (Henry Cavill) that it's fine if it's a bit messy

I really enjoy the show but agree that it needs to be tightened up. We're on season 2 and we already have our heroes on horseback miraculously arriving just in the nick of time, every time. It's copying the bad parts of GoT and that's not reassuring for the long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The Continent/the North feels very, very, VERY small because of how quickly people move through it.