Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Mx. posted:

How do I handle MIL (70F) who wants to see my child (her grandchild) while ignoring my (33F) existance?

Just lmao at the idea that I’d let someone who’s spent the last 8 years actively ignoring my existence but more so anywhere near my child unattended

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Tjadeth posted:

give me your paypigs

I was going to go with
Give me your subs!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gently caress that spineless husband for making his wife put up with his insane mother.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not sharing my clients as a domme

What is the proper attitude for a findomme? Give me your money or else?
Like any kind of sex work, it depends on the client. They are also entrepreneurs so while some paypigs might be willing to give money for little or no time investment, findommes spend a ton of time sieving out time-wasters, doing streams, figuring out advertising, etc. Like anything under this umbrella you've got to be really self-motivated and there's a lot of annoying clerical stuff to do. OP's friend probably thinks she'll just make an account and get a bunch of money but if you ask any findomme it really doesn't work that way.

Chloe Jessica posted:

i imagine it would depend on the client. some might get off on that; some might want the domme to act bored and like it's not a big deal; some might prefer that they coo and fawn over everything they buy with their money. no form of BDSM is one-size-fits-all, which is why safewords are so important.

now im wondering if there are good findommes who have safe words and would cut a client off if they ventured into the realm of self harm, like a good regular domme would

A lot of them do. It's why part of it is to review the paypigs' financial records, income, bank accts, etc (plus for them that's like, foreplay.)

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Im not American, so that might be the source of the confusion. Over here the boss would have to provide evidence of how a cardboard Danny DeVito was materially affecting his performance if he wanted to discipline him for it. At most companies questions would be asked of the boss' judgement along the lines of "why are you causing trouble with a long term asset who, until cardboard Danny showed up, you were talking up for a big promotion?"

I'm a manager at my work and part of that role right now is remembering that while my team work in my department, they do so from their houses. I wouldn't let one of my team bring cardboard Danny into the office, but if he's in their house and he's not causing any problems then I'd leave him alone. Maybe I'm a lovely manager, who knows?

Yeah, that's what it is. Most Americans can be fired for any reason, including no reason at all. The ones who can't can also be fired for no reason at all but their boss just has to lie and say it's performance related on the form.

B-Rock452 posted:

An attorney friend of mine did a zoom hearing and the judge turned off his background by accident and everyone saw he was sitting in his bed

Oh no, shock horror, now people he works with know he sleeps. If there's one good thing to come out of covid, it'll be everyone admitting they don't care about stuff like that.

teen witch posted:

In what world would I ever tread onto that potato country, instead of staying in my potato country. Plus I’m transferring in KEF.

Don’t go to the police - go to the media. Release the footage.

Depending on he country, it is often illegal to record minors in any context even like this, so that would probably backfire on OP. Glad it worked out for them.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
this is the absolute funniest Zoom fail ive ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH3Y_4wc0Ng

the little snort when one of the other participants notices and is trying desperately not to die laughing in front of the judge :kiss:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

AITA for giving my younger daughter money for getting A's but not my older daughter?

quote:

I have 2 daughters, Ava (16) and Emma (14). I made a deal with them that I'd give them $20 per A they get by the end of the semester. I told Ava I was only paying for real classes, not electives. She assumed I told Emma the same.

Ava's electives are advanced drama, honors choir, and dance. Emma's electives are culinary arts (cooking class), Spanish (her school counts foreign languages as electives), and video production.

The thing is, Ava is an actress, singer, and dancer. She's been on tv shows, movies, and has performed in front of 1,000+ people on stage too many times to count. She's been in voice lessons since she was 7 and was a competitive dancer until 2 years ago. These classes are incredibly easy for her.

A couple days ago I asked the girls to show me their grades on their phones so I could transfer the money into their bank accounts. Emma got A's in English and all of her electives so I transferred her $80. Ava got A's in all of her core classes so I also transferred her $80.

Ava found out that 3 of Emma's A's were from her electives and demanded that I give her $60 for her electives. I said no because she didn't have to work for those A's like Emma did.

Ava hasn't spoken to me since and even told my family about it at Christmas. Most of them sided with Ava because "an A is an A" and are saying that if I won't pay her for those classes, I should at least give her $60 from the money she made from competitions, pageants, movies, plays, and tv shows.

I still think she shouldn't get a reward for a class that she didn't have to work in but most of my family disagrees with me so I wanted to know if I was the rear end in a top hat.
Stemlord identified

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 29, 2021

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Invisible Clergy posted:

[b]AITA for giving my younger daughter money for getting A's but not my older daughter?

Stemlord identified

quote:

I should at least give her $60 from the money she made from competitions, pageants, movies, plays, and tv shows.

This is one of those exploding red flags that showers everyone in tinier red flags

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
best case scenario mom is saving the money for her for when she turns 18

worst case scenario, stemlord *and* pageant mom

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Chloe Jessica posted:

Lol best case stemlord and pageant mom

Worst case mom steals her identity and/or frames her for murder

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Invisible Clergy posted:

[b]AITA for giving my younger daughter money for getting A's but not my older daughter?

Stemlord identified

Estranged Parent class of 2024

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

quote:

These classes are incredibly easy for her.

Tell me you’ve never participated in the performing arts, without saying you’ve never participated in the performing arts.

Also fuuuuuuuuucking gently caress you for keeping her performance money, that’s essentially income

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I don't understand the "stemlord" thing. The reason OP states for them not being "real classes" is that Ava already knows those subjects, not that the subjects themselves are unworthy. None of Emma's classes are STEM either.

OP's still an rear end in a top hat and also an idiot.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for giving my younger daughter money for getting A's but not my older daughter?

Stemlord identified

OP says in the comments that she "controls" the daughter's money that she earned, and gives her an "allowance" out of it. EDIT to add, apparently there is over $1,000,000 in the account........................

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 29, 2021

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

OP says in the comments that she "controls" the daughter's money that she earned, and gives her an "allowance" out of it. EDIT to add, apparently there is over $1,000,000 in the account........................

I don't know that person's location, but I hope they're in california, usa, for the kid's sake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Child_Actor%27s_Bill

quote:

The California Child Actor's Bill (also known as Coogan Act or Coogan Bill) is a law applicable to child performers, designed to safeguard a portion of their earnings for when they reach the age of majority, and protect them from exploitation and abuse.[1]

The original Bill was passed in 1939 by the State of California in response to the plight of Jackie Coogan, who earned millions of dollars as a successful child actor only to discover, upon reaching adulthood, that his mother and stepfather had spent almost all of his money. Since then, it has been revised a few times, most recently on December 7, 2019.[2] As it stands, money earned and accumulated under a contract under the code remains the sole legal property of the minor child.[3][4]

I assume there's similar laws in other states, or at the federal level. I hope.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Chloe Jessica posted:

Do you seriously think there is a chance Mama June isn't spending all this money on herself?

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Lol best case stemlord and pageant mom

Worst case mom steals her identity and/or frames her for murder

She's single white femaling her the second she wants to take a break from acting.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Tell me you’ve never participated in the performing arts, without saying you’ve never participated in the performing arts.

Also fuuuuuuuuucking gently caress you for keeping her performance money, that’s essentially income

That is income. Jackie Coogan sued his abusive parents and got the California Child Actor Law passed to prevent children from being exploited in this one very specific way 83 loving years ago but of course like any good law made to protect vulnerable people it is not enforced and is still being broken today.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't understand the "stemlord" thing. The reason OP states for them not being "real classes" is that Ava already knows those subjects, not that the subjects themselves are unworthy. None of Emma's classes are STEM either.

OP's still an rear end in a top hat and also an idiot.

"Stemlord" is a colloquial term for the kind of xkcd fan who smugly denounces the humanities and talks about their inferiority to science, technology, engineering, and math. Who cares if OP's daughter is good at classes? Those weren't the circumstances OP said she'd magnanimously return a few crumbs of the millions of dollars she's stealing from her child under. Being a stemlord isn't about actually valuing stem, it's about being a smug "I loving love science" type douche against the humanities

Evil Willow posted:

If this one's true, I hope her daughter sues the poo poo out of her the second she's able to escape.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

EDIT to add, apparently there is over $1,000,000 in the account........................

Lol no fuckin way

value-brand cereal posted:

I assume there's similar laws in other states, or at the federal level. I hope.

lmao

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

Depending on he country, it is often illegal to record minors in any context even like this, so that would probably backfire on OP. Glad it worked out for them.

Please specify which countries where video/photo recording people in public and/or in a place with no expectation of privacy.......like uninvited people outside of you home.....is illegal. For anyone. You can't exclude minors in this context because that's insane to the point where it make any sort of recording de jure illegal.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for demanding my mom reimburse me for the Christmas gifts MIL returned?

quote:

My MIL is a strange woman. She is pretty mean and she seems incapable of doing most normal things, such as taking on a matriarch role, being a grandmother, inviting her new DIL into the family, etc.
That being said she is somewhat aware that this isn't normal and she feels guilty and tries to make up for it with extravagant gifts.

I am pregnant. MIL could not be less interested. she also didn't invite us to Christmas, has plans to be out of the country when I am due, and hasn't seen her son in person in maybe 9-10 months for no real reason. MIL did mention that she would buy us everything for the nursery for Christmas. I was in shock. She bought us thousands worth of baby furniture. To be clear I don't feel that we are taking advantage of her. She has admitted that she feels bad that we don't get along and that she isn't interested in trying. She even said once the only thing she can give her son is money, so please just take it.

Well my mom saw MILs boyfriend on Christmas at about 10pm at a CVS and began harassing him and demanding to know if he left MIL (because CVS is totally the place a newly single man would go /s) MILs boyfriend can be kind of ridiculous and started cussing my mom out. my mom and her friend followed him through CVS and continued to ask him about MIL and say demeaning stuff about how he must just want sex because she has nothing else to offer. He kind of has anger issues and began cussing them, calling them fat bitches, saying really below the belt stuff. My mom videocalled me crying and I was tired and confused and told him to apologize. I didn't really get what was going on, but I don't like how him and MIL always bring up people's bodies, so I just said to say sorry and move on.

MIL was pissed and called my husband and called me ungrateful. My husband said we didn't fully get how bad the situation was and my mom was out of line. my husband did say that MIL's boyfriend has some issues he needs to work through and he can't act like that. This isn't the first time he has come to her defense by going nuclear. MIL called him an rear end in a top hat and returned all of the gifts.

I called my mom in tears and said she did this. She has been told so many times to leave this man alone and she is the reason MIL went back on her promise. My mom said she was sorry and she has issues with peer pressure and going along with her friends. I said sorry doesn't do poo poo and if she really wants to make it right she needs to replace everything MIL returned.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for kicking out my husband's daughter

quote:

My husband, Oliver (38M), and I (35F), have been married for 3 months. We've been in a relationship for four years. I am currently pregnant with my first child, but my husband has four children from his previous relationship: Brooke, 5f, Luke, 13f, Nate, 16m, and Jess, 17f. The younger half is fine, but Nate and Jess have been the bain of my existence since we started dating. They are only 10 months apart in age, so they are very close. They always compare me to their mother, and anytime I try to discipline them, they call me a backstabbing bitch. To put things in context, their mother and I were friends until Oliver and I fell in love.I moved away, and I didn't contact Oliver until they were divorced months later. But Jess (who was/is my goddaughter) is still convinced we had an affair.

Anyway, I am 7 months pregnant with a baby girl whom we are naming after my husband's late grandmother. We live in a four-bed apartment in New York, and all the bedrooms are taken. Brooke and Jess have separate rooms, while the boys share. Jess is about to go to college in September near where her mom lives. Oliver has them during the school year, and his ex has them all summer. So we decided to give the baby Jess' room. The problem is that the baby will be here before Jess turns 18.

We decided to have Jess move back in with her mother. Jess is upset because she is a senior and goes to a private school, so moving halfway through her senior year to go to a public school might hurt her education. I told her that she already got into an amazing school, so she has nothing to worry about. My husband agreed, but Nate, as always, was siding with Jess.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Invisible Clergy posted:

"Stemlord" is a colloquial term for the kind of xkcd fan who smugly denounces the humanities and talks about their inferiority to science, technology, engineering, and math. Who cares if OP's daughter is good at classes? Those weren't the circumstances OP said she'd magnanimously return a few crumbs of the millions of dollars she's stealing from her child under. Being a stemlord isn't about actually valuing stem, it's about being a smug "I loving love science" type douche against the humanities
Yeah and that's not what's going on in the post. OP isn't "a smug "I loving love science" type douche against the humanities" when they're happy paying for a cooking elective. They're just a "you're already good at that so it doesn't count" cheapskate.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Mx. posted:

quote:

To put things in context, their mother and I were friends until Oliver and I fell in love.I moved away, and I didn't contact Oliver until they were divorced months later. But Jess (who was/is my goddaughter) is still convinced we had an affair.

:thunk:

So you both fell in love, you mysteriously moved away and he just happened to get divorced months later

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mx. posted:

No it makes sense, the baby needs a whole room to itself and also gently caress that young woman's sense of support and stability just as she's finishing highschool, right?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yeah and that's not what's going on in the post. OP isn't "a smug "I loving love science" type douche against the humanities" when they're happy paying for a cooking elective. They're just a "you're already good at that so it doesn't count" cheapskate.

Hey hey let's just all agree that mom deserves the guillotine

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

:thunk:

So you both fell in love, you mysteriously moved away and he just happened to get divorced months later

Its not an affair, it was just the groundwork and zoning permits

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The official Twitter of Jorts and Jean!
https://mobile.twitter.com/JortsTheCat

Extremely disappointed the profile pic is not a sweet potato.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mx. posted:

How do I handle MIL (70F) who wants to see my child (her grandchild) while ignoring my (33F) existance?

that it would be nice if I could let her see her grandchild once

The start of the slippery slope where giving in even once means it won't stop. "Just this once" turns into "You did it once and it was no big deal" to "Just do it again to appease her. This is the last time I promise." The siren call of doormats everywhere.

Evil Willow posted:

Well my mom saw MILs boyfriend on Christmas at about 10pm at a CVS and began harassing him and demanding to know if he left MIL (because CVS is totally the place a newly single man would go /s) MILs boyfriend can be kind of ridiculous and started cussing my mom out. my mom and her friend followed him through CVS and continued to ask him about MIL and say demeaning stuff about how he must just want sex because she has nothing else to offer. He kind of has anger issues and began cussing them, calling them fat bitches, saying really below the belt stuff. My mom videocalled me crying and I was tired and confused and told him to apologize. I didn't really get what was going on, but I don't like how him and MIL always bring up people's bodies, so I just said to say sorry and move on.

my husband did say that MIL's boyfriend has some issues he needs to work through and he can't act like that. This isn't the first time he has come to her defense by going nuclear.

I wonder why this dude who was followed around CVS being accosted by a group of women was angry? It must be because he has anger issues! He cussed at them for god's sake!

The hypocrisy in this one is so thick you can physically see it.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 29, 2021

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:

Hughlander posted:

AITA for calling my wife a cheapskate for giving our kids used Christmas gifts?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/7038537211?s=21

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

Well my mom saw MILs boyfriend on Christmas at about 10pm at a CVS and began harassing him and demanding to know if he left MIL (because CVS is totally the place a newly single man would go /s) MILs boyfriend can be kind of ridiculous and started cussing my mom out. my mom and her friend followed him through CVS and continued to ask him about MIL and say demeaning stuff about how he must just want sex because she has nothing else to offer. He kind of has anger issues and began cussing them, calling them fat bitches, saying really below the belt stuff. My mom videocalled me crying

In what slice of humanity is this a normal thing? Where does this actually happen? Who does/normalizes this kind of thing?

I'm not only talking about just randomly video calling someone........

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Coffee Sludge posted:

Having received a bottle of ketchup one christmas from my grandparents, yes it sucks and obviously you don't ever end up forgetting that you got a condiment (or other consumable) for a present.

One year, my grandma gave my sister (age 10ish) a box of Milkbones dog treats "because you love your dog." My sister was visibly upset but tried to hide it.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Motronic posted:

In what slice of humanity is this a normal thing? Where does this actually happen? Who does/normalizes this kind of thing?

I'm not only talking about just randomly video calling someone........

None of the ages are mentioned, but if you imagine them as late teens/early 20s on one side and late 30s/early 40s on the other, in an area so small that there's only the one CVS, it makes a little more sense.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Motronic posted:

Please specify which countries where video/photo recording people in public and/or in a place with no expectation of privacy.......like uninvited people outside of you home.....is illegal. For anyone. You can't exclude minors in this context because that's insane to the point where it make any sort of recording de jure illegal.

I duct tape children to my body when robbing banks, so they have to delete the security footage, and I get off scot free.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Evil Willow posted:

The comments on this one are an absolute cluster.

Silly Newbie posted:

None of the ages are mentioned, but if you imagine them as late teens/early 20s on one side and late 30s/early 40s on the other, in an area so small that there's only the one CVS, it makes a little more sense.

I get big vibes of small town arrested development where everyone never really got over high school.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Evil Willow posted:

quote:

he rudely turned down one of her friends for sex and now the whole friend group harasses him

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Don’t you just keep the baby in a sock drawer for the first few months anyway?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Don’t you just keep the baby in a sock drawer for the first few months anyway?

Basically, yeah. My son is three, and he spent the first three or six months (I don't know exactly, newborns create their own localized fever dream) of evenings in a bascinet at the foot of our bed.
We're talking about people who have a four bedroom apartment in New York with kids in serious private schools, though, so their grasp on reality may be tenuous.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
my middle brother had to have a special bassinet filled with i think sunlamps because his liver wasn't fully formed when he was born (someone with more knowledge about neonatal jaundice will probably correct me shortly about them being sunlamps)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Invisible Clergy posted:

That is income. Jackie Coogan sued his abusive parents and got the California Child Actor Law passed to prevent children from being exploited in this one very specific way 83 loving years ago but of course like any good law made to protect vulnerable people it is not enforced and is still being broken today.

Yep, those stories about child actors like Macaulay Culkin and Corey Feldman 'divorcing' their parents happened because their parents were squandering all of their money.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The_Franz posted:

Yep, those stories about child actors like Macaulay Culkin and Corey Feldman 'divorcing' their parents happened because their parents were squandering all of their money.

Yeah, emancipation. Unfortunately very common out of necessity for child actors/models/entertainers/etc who tend to be pushed into it by parasite parents.

AITA for wanting my gym partner to stop constantly saying "yeehaw" and "yahooey" and other whoops at the gym together?

quote:

I've struggling with this for almost a dozen years.

In college, I met a guy who eventually became a very good friend of mine at the campus gym. We were just lithe young teenagers with a healthy curiosity for our potential beef that lies within burgeoning muscles. I was a beginner and ignorant in the ways of building mass and handling girth. My friend was in a similar situation as me. There was a playful eagerness about him that drew my attention, and although his confidence and willingness to experiment with iron and exertion was commendable, it was clear he needed a partner. I'll admit my reluctance in approaching him, a playful youth like me, sweat glistening on his forehead, but after weeks of exchanging certain glances, he strolled over to me and asked to work in on the bench. Each of us had read about being a spotter, how to position ones body ever so, but neither of us had done it in earnest. We pushed our reps. It was exhilarating to meet my potential through labor. We shook hands afterwards, bonding again when we noticed what large hands we both had. We've been gym partners since.

As muscles filled out our frames, as hard lines of sex appeal deepened in our bodies, my friend adopted a gym lingo, constantly yelling, "Yeehaw!" or "Yahooey!" or "Yeeyip!" etc. While this is fine when hands are wrapped around a hard shaft of steel that's begging to be hefted, he also yelps without iron. We are burly men these days, carrying a kind of weight that shows strength, and though he gets eyes from others, they're scared to say anything.

And he's not just yelling, he just says them, He's consumed by his ejaculations. I'll ask him a question about weight and he'll say, "That'll be a 'yeehaw' from me." or I'll prepare myself for a lift and he'll try to pump me up with a hard, meaty slap to the large of my back or perhaps to my tense rump, and say something like, "Whoop whoop whoop! Time to scoop! Yessir, Yeehaw, Yahoo!" or something similar.

Sure, his unwavering encouragement and thirst for fully displayed manhood sends a hot surge of blood coursing through my wanting muscles, but at the same time, I am annoyed to no end. I never liked the whooping, but I had tolerated it because of his genuineness, his boyish enthusiasm, and because I was becoming a hunk of a man.

But, a few days ago I told him how I feel about the whooping. As I arose from beneath his legs on the bench, his last hoot was a hoot too many. I told him how much I hated his outbursts.

He looked hurt, blindsided. I doubled down on my opinion (the cat had spilled from the sack after all), and I said how I never want to hear another whoop. He feigned soreness in a joint a knew was healthy as he vigorously exerted it with passion earlier. He left and I finished my routine in silence.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for telling my long-term gym partner to quit yeehawing and yahooeying?
r/relationships: He's consumed by his ejaculations.

AITA for making my wife take extra care about food hygiene?

quote:

As a kid, I was obsessed with the cleanliness of anything I'd consume. For example, when my grandma would bring me a glass of juice, she would usually carry the glass by holding it very high up (right over where my mouth would be placed as I drink) and I'd constantly complain about it. I also hated food in general, as I'd be spending my focus on whether there's something nasty in what I eat rather than enjoying the meal. When I got older, I realized I might have some mild OCD but I never went to have it diagnosed, as I could still function kinda normally, apart from the food problem, as well as getting various ticks throughout my life.

Nowadays, I'm not as obnoxious but I still tend to be overly cautious with food/utensils. It's more of an internal conflict in my head; I can drink from the same cup/bottle as someone else, but not without having this nasty feeling in the back of my mind.

On the other hand, my wife is not bothered by similar stuff. When the food falls out from the container/plate, she puts it back in. She also handles different foods with the same utensils (e.g., she will use the fork smeared with cheese to take out pickles from the jar). From time to time, I will express my discomfort with that.

Earlier today, she was eating cream with spoon, straight from the container (to be returned to the fridge for later use). I told her that she should've taken all the cream she wanted to her plate beforehand instead of placing the same spoon back to the container after it's been in her mouth. This started an argument; she says that she cannot relax while eating if she constantly has to think whether something she does will disturb me or not. She claims that my fears are irrational and nothing bad can happen; we're transferring the bacteria between each other anyway (by kissing, etc.) She also says that it's completely fine to eat something that fell on the floor, provided the floor is clean.

On the other hand, I am saying that it's not ok to introduce the bacteria from mouth to food that is going back to the fridge, especially if the food can support their growth (cream). I am aware that a big part of my discomfort might not be rational, but I still think that being mindful of things that I mentioned is kind of a common sense and not something that she would need to constantly think and stress about while we eat, in order to not disturb me.

However, if my fears really are irrational, it might be the case that what I am asking her to do is indeed ridiculous and that I am being controlling. That's why I'm asking here for an opinion by someone with a more objective viewpoint.

The real meat here is the comments:

quote:

It's interesting you're so concerned in cleanliness considering the other topics on your Reddit profile, my man.

YTA, you may get a different response if you used a different account for your porn. 😆

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 29, 2021

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
AITA for wanting my gym partner to stop constantly saying "yeehaw" and "yahooey" and other whoops at the gym together?

not even really subtext

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for making my wife take extra care about food hygiene?

"Don't dirty food other people might be going to eat" is food hygiene 101 and I'm pretty sure it covers all of OP's bases. I have no loving clue what his beef is with the grandma juice technique, though.