Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

levi's were originally created for prospectors and miners lol. i wouldn't be surprised if the original quality was much higher than their current stuff though

in a sign that our society is thriving, we have a small industry of people who risk their lives to go into abandoned gold mines and remove any pants they find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
goons contemplating the quality of clothing when you can literally just touch the drat thing to gauge its thickness lol. pretty easy to tell folks, even has the recipe on the tags

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
only wear clothes you make yuourself, out of jute or whatever

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

goons contemplating the quality of clothing when you can literally just touch the drat thing to gauge its thickness lol. pretty easy to tell folks, even has the recipe on the tags

i dont have any 19th century denim for comparison tho

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
is it possible to eat ikea furniture?

asking for a friend

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
look for tortilla land fresh tortillas in the refrigerated section. only 5 ingredients, none of them plastic. you have to cook them, but they fry up quick.

making your own tortillas sounds interesting, but i would say get a 10 in press, and a ceramic tortilla warmer that can fit 10 in tortillas. kinda big investment up front, but at least you know what's in your tortillas.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Trabisnikof posted:

in a sign that our society is thriving, we have a small industry of people who risk their lives to go into abandoned gold mines and remove any pants they find

wtf you kids have the weirdest sex lingo these days

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Pryor on Fire posted:

the only way anyone young can make money anymore is going into the mines of onlyfans

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUvLJ4larbQ

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

well enjoy your job in the wilderness fighting bears and dragons and whatever else you are doing mountain man

I'm a computer toucher, I just live in a remote place that needs a bunch of dumb loving equipment to make it human walkable, and I make maple syrup and do firewood poo poo for that, and also a bunch of cannabis processing. It's all a lot nerdier and addiction (sugars, cannabinnoids, microplastics) related than fighting bears, but, most of the people I've met who talk about hunting bears around here seem like assholes. Example: my ex-cop neighbor who thinks "marijuana culture" ruined LA, whatever the gently caress that means

Homeless Friend posted:

Yea and even among the various Levi's styles you'll find a wide variation. They are not really made for durability anymore but the stitching is often generally fine, and some of them are half spandex poo poo that will split if you bend over to pick up a dime, and some of it is rugged enough for basic outdoor use, but does not perform any better at that than similarly feeling jeans from Kohl's that cost 1/4 as much. I don't hate Levi's but I also don't think people buy them as an especially pragmatic thing, it's lowest common denominator brand recognition, and that's just more mindless consumerist thinking.

Pryor on Fire posted:

ever had a messy breakfast with runny eggs?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I was a teenager in Colorado so I have spent a considerable amount of time getting my pants removed in abandoned mines, but that's not most people's first association I suppose.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

I was a teenager in Colorado so I have spent a considerable amount of time getting my pants removed in abandoned mines, but that's not most people's first association I suppose.

talk about load bearing wood

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cheap denim is great if you don't mind looking like you are wearing a garbage bag

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

IKEA founder was a nazi. Just throwing that out there.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SplitSoul posted:

IKEA founder was a nazi. Just throwing that out there.

so was Ford, and Kelloggs, and Krispy Kreme, and Panera, and Bayer, and Twitter, and Facebook

it’s easier to list the only not nazi foundered corporation:
Costco

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

PBUC

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I will Stan Costco for as long as the hotdog is $1.50

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Levi's are fine and as good as a lot of jeans that cost 3-4x as much (and some that cost 50% as much), but they're not made to be serious work pants and they will not hold up to scrambling around trees or getting nicked by tools, the pockets will rip from carrying anything heavier than a basic knife, they do not survive even brief contact with extremely hot surfaces or moving friction against rugged surfaces/rocks, and they provide extremely minimal protection against contact with any kind of hot or caustic chemical.

It was a serious comment but left field because my use cases are not the same as most people who buy a pair of jeans. I do feel like Levi's should maybe be more inexpensively priced for what they are; you can probably say the same thing about Kuhl because even though they make more comfortable pants than the $30 work pants at Tractor Exchange, I'd have to field test them to see if they really last any longer, and I probably should do that.

What are good jeans for doing that kind of thing?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

an egg posted:

those are what i use for my microfauna ziggurats. i build the structure out of pallets and then stuff it with native bark and leaves. the skinks are always the first to settle in, they're so brave

:hmmyes:
good job! there are a couple neighbourhood cats that live in my pallets pile. it has a tarp on it so it's a premium shelter

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Same thing happened during the rainstorms in BC last month. Google maps was re-routing people over Mission Mountain / the Anderson Highline to get to Vancouver. A remote unpaved mountain pass with extreme grades and 10km/hr switchbacks, followed by 70km of single-track dirt road with a 1000m sheer drop into Seton lake on one side. No barrier.

This ended about as well as you can imagine, for 2WD sedans being driven by people astoundingly stupid enough to follow Google that far off the beaten track. :downs:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rime posted:

This ended about as well as you can imagine, for 2WD sedans being driven by people astoundingly stupid enough to follow Google that far off the beaten track. :downs:

This is what I don't get. I've had Google try to take me to some incredibly sketchy places before, but it's not like you suddenly go from a four lane highway onto an unpaved road that drops you into a lake. How the gently caress do you end up on a road like this without quickly realizing that it's a huge loving mistake and turning around before you're in over your head?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MaBYQrblqM

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

This is what I don't get. I've had Google try to take me to some incredibly sketchy places before, but it's not like you suddenly go from a four lane highway onto an unpaved road that drops you into a lake. How the gently caress do you end up on a road like this without quickly realizing that it's a huge loving mistake and turning around before you're in over your head?

i posted about the psychological death drive behind americans (and canadians), and well, it's that. a death drive

also as flaky as so many people are, americans are very stubborn about thinking about rescheduling or doing something different (see also pandemic). i also think there's some inherent 'i'm invincible' teenage mindset even going into their 80s, especially when you get inside a 6000 lb bubble of steel n plastic people become extremely stubborn. going back to something I even posted before that, americans have a weird conception of death and the finality of it all. like we don't like to think about it, we're shielded from it, our dead slaughtered animals come in neatly sliced plastic-wrapped foam slabs with artificial coloring to make it look like not dead flesh. we don't even think of meat as a previous living thing, more like an ear of corn pops into existence. our old die alone in nursing homes or neatly sequestered at a hospital and maybe you get phone call saying they're dead, and that they can arrange a funeral service partner to pick them up and fedex you an urn for $1,999. media deluges you with them but in a fictional way. most deaths are only heard/read about in a tertiary sense and not actual experiences other than maybe that person no longer is around and you might have a brief fleeting thought about them once or twice a year. other and often older cultures seem to have a far healthier attitude, but who knows maybe the american way is the best way?

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

actionjackson posted:

the poster's comment was about needing a years salary, which was obviously an exaggeration, but those items are priced relatively low compared to some stuff I've seen. he also asked for an end table that was solid wood specifically :confused:

Sorry I was being both hyperbolic and flippant. Though I would say that with $300 being the low end for a very minor piece of furniture and extrapolating out how many other, more significant pieces I would need to buy to actually cut IKEA out of my life, my point still stands that it's just flat out unaffordable for me and many many other people.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The whole argument between disposable crap vs. long-lasting, quality items has completely broken down as things have become just wildly unaffordable. It's flat out cheaper in both the short-term and the long-term to just buy disposable crap in most if not all cases, and that's true with furniture, too. The fact that cheap, replaceable items actually make legitimate financial sense may even have some implications for the planet as a whole!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Don't you guys value your own time? Researching what is good enough, going to buy it etc. takes so much effort. And then having to think about the issue again if something breaks?

I buy good stuff once, and then never have to think about it again. I use exactly the same plates, glasses & utensils as 17 years ago. I bought them new and they still make them new. My sofa is good as new (you can wash it when needed). All my furniture are as good as new no matter their age. Carpets, curtains, bookshelves etc. Only thing which wears out are mattresses. The springs give out after a certain time but I've understood that there's nothing you can do to help with that.

How do you even find stuff that breaks down or wears out? I have no idea. I used the same car for 17 years and sold it only because I wanted more power and owning two cars was too expensive.

My road bike is 40 years old. My city bike gets stolen every few years, but the current one is 7 years old. I've been lucky this time.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Day by day I become more convinced that dementia is some sort of stereo phase decoherence in our brains. Our stereo receivers are out of tune and as we lose the signal we slide further and further out of phase until only noise remains.

I feel our entire species on a gyroscopic slide out of phase into the hellfire, blown out square wave signal of dementia. We're experiencing the planetary anxiety of forgetting our natural rhythm and harmony with the world. As our mass extinction unfolds, we'll slide from an accelerating pulse of anxious moments as we realize something is wrong into a wave of confusion, delirium, anger, and ultimately a low bitrate death in a world too warm and poisonous for us to survive.

Anyway, if you want to watch the world buzz apart like an Alzheimer's patient, go outside, close your eyes, and listen to and look for where the bird songs are in space. Once the last melodies of the world are dead it will be harder for you to not fall out of phase yourself.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ihmemies posted:

Don't you guys value your own time? Researching what is good enough, going to buy it etc. takes so much effort. And then having to think about the issue again if something breaks?

I buy good stuff once, and then never have to think about it the again. I use exactly the same plates, glasses & utensils as 17 years ago. I bought them new and they still make them new. My sofa is good as new (you can wash it when needed). All my furniture are as good as new no matter their age. Carpets, curtains, bookshelves etc. Only thing which wears out are mattresses. The springs give out after a certain time but I've understood that there's nothing you can do to help with that.
so the thing with this is:

a) upfront costs is something people can't afford, or don't think they can afford. low prices are addicting even if you 'have money'. everyone wants to think they're getting a real sweet deal by buying this nobrand amazon one for $13.99 doodad vs a more expensive $89.99 doodad. everyone wants to find One Weird Trick, One Weird Loophole: it's almost innate to america. the whole country was founded on get-rich-quick MLM scams after-all. but there's a large portion of people in borderline poverty that just live off buying disposal poo poo "within credit card debt limit" even if it's costing them significantly in the long-run.

b) lots of people don't actually have the know-how (or never taught), or don't believe in themselve to navigate a myriad maze of SEO blog garbage and just been cynical of anything recommending TOP 10 BEST ___. "buying the good stuff" largely doesn't exist much in the consumer Big Box retail world anymore and often you do need to do research to "buy the good stuff". You just can't do it for many goods. Some good yes, you should be able to buy utensils or bowls that last forever, but those are largely small ticket items anyways. I said before but most "good stuff" in terms of major appliances (or power tools or whatever) are now largely in the realm of commercial-side (i.e. a good washing machine is probably a Continental-brand. all that whirlpool/lg/samsung washing machines at home depot or best buy are intentionally terrible).

c) obsessively f5-ing searching craigslist or scavenging dumpsters or flea markets or estate sales also takes a shitload of time and some know-how. and then transportation is a cost factor that also most don't want to deal with or pay money for. yes it's good + cool if you have time + big truck

e: to use your bike example, yes your bike frame should last forever on even a wal-mart bike. but what about your derailleur, the chains? if they're old, they're probablyt still good because they did build them better "back in the day". but a lot of new derailleurs are extremely poo poo intentionally. one you want to have the lowest price in a competitive market but you also want to keep making money because selling one good life-lasting derailleur for $49.99 is bad compared to making $$$ selling many more people on cheap $17.99 derailleurs that they then just keep buying from you because you have the cheapest price even if they just had one break a year ago (after all, surely it was just a freak accident right??). it takes some more upfront money, and knowledge to know you should just pony up for the better one, but what is the better one?

anyways not to be the fun police but this poo poo is kinda tedious and overtaking everything now getting into lifehack-y one weird trick. We're absolutely destroying the planet to manufacture garbage that's intended to break, thrown out, and replaced to keep the profits flowing. but it's one problem in a very very long list of hosed up catastrophes caused by capitalism

Xaris has issued a correction as of 10:29 on Dec 29, 2021

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
simply buy plastic tables and furniture. ah, plastic. now there's a substance that never breaks down or goes away

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Terry Pratchett posted:

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Day by day I become more convinced that dementia is some sort of stereo phase decoherence in our brains. Our stereo receivers are out of tune and as we lose the signal we slide further and further out of phase until only noise remains.

I feel our entire species on a gyroscopic slide out of phase into the hellfire, blown out square wave signal of dementia. We're experiencing the planetary anxiety of forgetting our natural rhythm and harmony with the world. As our mass extinction unfolds, we'll slide from an accelerating pulse of anxious moments as we realize something is wrong into a wave of confusion, delirium, anger, and ultimately a low bitrate death in a world too warm and poisonous for us to survive.
You must now report to the UFO thread

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Anyway, if you want to watch the world buzz apart like an Alzheimer's patient, go outside, close your eyes, and listen to and look for where the bird songs are in space. Once the last melodies of the world are dead it will be harder for you to not fall out of phase yourself.
what birds? i used to have a ton of birds out in the morning in a tree infront of my apartment that would (annoyingly) wake me up in the morning and haven't heard them in... god who knows. I'll occasionally see a crow or two, but I don't think i've heard bird chirping choruses in... an uncomfortably long amount of time.

that actually just sparked a long-lost memory in that I remember occasionally seeing tons of birds flocking in a V-formation high up in the sky, like really really large groups, and I don't think I've seen that in years.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Xaris posted:

what birds? i used to have a ton of birds out in the morning in a tree infront of my apartment that would (annoyingly) wake me up in the morning and haven't heard them in... god who knows. I'll occasionally see a crow or two, but I don't think i've heard bird chirping choruses in... an uncomfortably long amount of time.

that actually just sparked a long-lost memory in that I remember occasionally seeing tons of birds flocking in a V-formation high up in the sky, like really really large groups, and I don't think I've seen that in years.

the solution: have some pet birds

they're like dogs and they'll try to sneak food out of your hands

they'll also sing to you and get hyper and playful and all of that stuff

birds are pretty drat smart and cool to chill with

related content (my birds):

their album cover:

confusion upon meeting an alien life form (he still has utter confusion about the lizard, trying to lick the lizard etc and shaking his head dramatically at the texture):

bonus infinitely superior version of :birdthunk: that i made and use excessively on discord:

tldr: i like birds. birds kick rear end

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

journos really seem to hate the don’t look up movie still

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

journos really seem to hate the don’t look up movie still
:magemage: I wonder why that could be

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Xaris posted:

so the thing with this is:

a)
b)

c)

Probably all that, yes. My Electrolux kitchen appliances work fine. I use my parents Miele branded laundry machine, too much effort to buy & service a laundry machine for just myself.

quote:

e: to use your bike example, yes your bike frame should last forever on even a wal-mart bike. but what about your derailleur, the chains? if they're old, they're probablyt still good because they did build them better "back in the day". but a lot of new derailleurs are extremely poo poo intentionally. one you want to have the lowest price in a competitive market but you also want to keep making money because selling one good life-lasting derailleur for $49.99 is bad compared to making $$$ selling many more people on cheap $17.99 derailleurs that they then just keep buying from you because you have the cheapest price even if they just had one break a year ago (after all, surely it was just a freak accident right??). it takes some more upfront money, and knowledge to know you should just pony up for the better one, but what is the better one

I've always used Shimano parts. My road bike had Shimano 600 series. I swapped original downtube shifters to new Dura-ace bar end shifters. I use the old shimano 600 deraileurs in front and rear. I bought ultegra 6600 modern brakes used, because the old brakes were terrible and flexed a lot.

My City bike has maybe deore xt or xtr parts. They seem to work fine 🤷 I occasionally clean them and change new shift cables. 7 year old ones were very stuck and caused all kinds of shifting problems. Now the disc brake pistons are sticky especially in the rear. It was very annoying that Shimano doesn't sell new seals and pistons so I had to buy new brake calipers for 26€ each (similar Shimano model). I can get new pistons & seals for my car, but not for my bike?!

So that is one issue I guess, non-available spare parts for broken things. If something breaks it is very hard to repair well without spare parts. Capitalism releases new parts and doesn't sell spare parts for new or old parts. So you have to buy new ☹️

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
The daily lack of incidental wildlife like birds and bugs, that anyone could and should be noticing, is a visceral and easily understood aspect of the ongoing mass dying that should be emphasized more than it is. Where the gently caress are they?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I saw hundreds if not thousands of geese migrating south yesterday

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bag em and tag em posted:

Sorry I was being both hyperbolic and flippant. Though I would say that with $300 being the low end for a very minor piece of furniture and extrapolating out how many other, more significant pieces I would need to buy to actually cut IKEA out of my life, my point still stands that it's just flat out unaffordable for me and many many other people.

yeah I get that, I'm very lucky, I would definitely say that getting the cheapest item possible is probably the best alternative while you save for what you really want (if possible), or again just use craigslist.

edit: xaris LG washing machines are actually insanely good, but your point is true in general - if you want a fridge that lasts forever, you need a sub-zero (i.e. pelosi fridge) or thermador or w/e which are all going to be 8k+

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 15:08 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

T-Paine posted:

The daily lack of incidental wildlife like birds and bugs, that anyone could and should be noticing, is a visceral and easily understood aspect of the ongoing mass dying that should be emphasized more than it is. Where the gently caress are they?

Frogs and other amphibians too.

Personally I think they were actually sacrificed by Mickey Mouse to gain the power of hypnosis over the world. No other explanation for why marvel movies are popular imo