Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There's a discussion in the D&D5E thread which reminds me of something I'm curious about: is there a game that does a good job of having spells that are written down and you have to gather and possibly protect in your spellbook? The D&D system of spellbooks that the mage/magic user/wizard needs to consult to retain/regain se of spells, with limited capacity, costs to copying spells over, scrolls that you have to decide whether to copy over or just use and lose, seems on the surface to have some potential, but generations of DMs have glossed over all those aspects to the point where it's barely more than flavor, and most importantly, that's what people expect. Does Ars Magica do it well, for example?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Iron Heart posted:

I think you might be confusing 4e and 3.5e. The 3rd edition rules and their revision are more or less identical, with minor exceptions aside, and give a speed of "30 feet" for humans, unlike 4e, which gives a speed of 6 squares.
In 3.x and 5e the world is divided into 5 foot squares and everything just happens to be measured in multiples of 5 feet. In 4e they cut out the middleman and measure in squares, which are 5 feet.

3.5 PHB Combat section, very first heading posted:

The Battle Grid
To help visualize events in the fictional world of the D&D game, we recommend the use of miniature figures and a battle grid. A battle grid, such as the one provided in the Dungeon Master’s Guide, consists of a grid of 1-inch squares. Each of these squares repre¬ sents a 5-foot square in the game world.
You can use the grid, along with miniature figures or some other form of markers or tokens, to show the marching order of your adventuring party (they can walk two abreast down a 10- foot-wide dungeon corridor or single file in a 5-foot-wide tunnel) or the relative location of the characters in any given situation.
As its name implies, however, the best use for a battle grid is when the adventurers charge or stumble into a combat situa¬ tion. Then the grid helps everyone play out the battle. See the diagram on the following page for some specifics about the battle grid.

Later on same chapter posted:

ATTACK OF OPPORTUNITY
During combat, you threaten all squares adjacent to yours, even when it’s not your turn. An opponent that takes certain actions while in a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity from you. An attack of opportunity is a free melee attack that does not use up any of your actions. You can make one attack of oppor¬ tunity per round. Actions that provoke attacks of opportunity include moving (except as noted below), casting a spell, and attacking with a ranged weapon.
You provoke an attack of opportunity when you move out of a threatened square, except:
• If you withdraw (a full-round action), opponents don’t get
attacks of opportunity when you move from your initial square.
If you move into another threatened square, however, oppo¬ nents get attacks of opportunity when you leave that square.
While we're at it

Spaceman-meme-its-all-squares-always-has-been.png

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 27, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Iron Heart posted:

I think you might be confusing 4e and 3.5e. The 3rd edition rules and their revision are more or less identical, with minor exceptions aside, and give a speed of "30 feet" for humans, unlike 4e, which gives a speed of 6 squares. It has quirks like the spell called darkness setting the light level to dim light regardless of prior conditions (bright light or total darkness) to remain distinct from the higher-level deeper darkness spell, but the rules underlying light and dark mostly work intuitively.

Looking at the SRD, 3.5e gave ranges in feet and squares, rather than just feet as with 3e. Also, it was widely considered that "darkness" was changed to dim light not because of a higher level spell, but because an area where PCs cannot see what is going on is difficult to represent on a miniatures grid.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's a discussion in the D&D5E thread which reminds me of something I'm curious about : is there a game that does a good job of having spells that are written down and you have to gather and possibly protect in your spellbook? The D&D system of spellbooks that the mage/magic user/wizard needs to consult to retain/regain se of spells, with limited capacity, costs to copying spells over, scrolls that you have to decide whether to copy over or just use and lose, seems on the surface to have some potential, but generations of DMs have glossed over all those aspects to the point where it's barely more than flavor, and most importantly, that's what people expect. Does Ars Magica do it well, for example?

Magi in Ars Magica generally permanently memorize or improvise their spells and don't need to lug around a spellbook like D&D wizards. That being said, obtaining and using books to learn spells and improve your magical skills is an extremely important part of a Magus's life, and the books represent a significant portion of their wealth.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's a discussion in the D&D5E thread which reminds me of something I'm curious about : is there a game that does a good job of having spells that are written down and you have to gather and possibly protect in your spellbook? The D&D system of spellbooks that the mage/magic user/wizard needs to consult to retain/regain se of spells, with limited capacity, costs to copying spells over, scrolls that you have to decide whether to copy over or just use and lose, seems on the surface to have some potential, but generations of DMs have glossed over all those aspects to the point where it's barely more than flavor, and most importantly, that's what people expect. Does Ars Magica do it well, for example?

I think part of it is also that in D&D there's usually a pretty limited set of spells that mages will actually bother to use. Some direct damage, a few utility spells, some save-or-dies, and then about 70% of the selection of spells are either hyper-situational OR the sort of thing that're only useful to a villain when used against a player character that will exist for years, not for a player character to use against an enemy that will cease being relevant at the end of the session.

So like... you're almost never going to bump against that upper limit. It's also why D&D Sorcerers tend to be strictly better than Wizards, because on the surface "less variety" is a weakness but in practice it just formalizes the fact that wizards will largely memorize a few all-rounder spells anyway and now you just get more of them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I can’t think of a game that does it off-hand, but I know the gameplay loop exists cause a reskin of Pokemon is already most of the way there. It’s an interesting idea.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think it would have to be a game where everyone's a wizard or wizard variant because otherwise you've got this super in depth minigame only one person is playing. Which is why it just gets glossed over in D&D because there's 3 to 5 other people at the table with 0 interest in spending half the session watching Jim play wizard librarian.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
D&D but every time the Wizard casts a spell they first have to play through a Matrix dungeon.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

I think it would have to be a game where everyone's a wizard or wizard variant because otherwise you've got this super in depth minigame only one person is playing. Which is why it just gets glossed over in D&D because there's 3 to 5 other people at the table with 0 interest in spending half the session watching Jim play wizard librarian.

Just play Shadowrun. You can play with each individual player separately for hours and still advance the story. Might actually be better that way.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Splicer posted:

I feel like if it didn't have all that aspect loaded into one aspect of the game it might work better? Like if it spread into downtime, and other character types had other types of maintenance to do? Otherwise, yeah, maybe in a whatever this type of magic is called-focused game, that's why I brought up Ars Magica.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lemon-Lime posted:

D&D but every time the Wizard casts a spell they first have to play through a Matrix dungeon.

People are always happy to make martials jump through out-of-character hoops for their abilities, so I’d be totally fine with grabbing some problem sets off of my exams the next time someone casts a spell.

Sure you can cast Fly, but first you gotta correctly tree-diagram “A view that seemed to want to be seen was shown in the window,” with all the correct traces and θ roles.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok that's an athletics check to jump on the table, an acrobatic check to grab the chandelier, test use rope to swing the correct distance, then another acrobatics check to stick the landing.

Meanwhile, the mage can unerringly grab the correct components - blindly - from a pouch and recite a seven line poem, all while correctly making the proper arcane mystic passes. While under pressure and injured. There's no chance of failure because that's just what his class does.

Sure, that's also what rogues do in the previous swashbuckling example. But uh, verisimilitude.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

moths posted:

Ok that's an athletics check to jump on the table, an acrobatic check to grab the chandelier, test use rope to swing the correct distance, then another acrobatics check to stick the landing.

Meanwhile, the mage can unerringly grab the correct components - blindly - from a pouch and recite a seven line poem, all while correctly making the proper arcane mystic passes. While under pressure and injured. There's no chance of failure because that's just what his class does.

Sure, that's also what rogues do in the previous swashbuckling example. But uh, verisimilitude.

Like, you don't need to convince me that the whole thing is poorly handled in D&D, I'm literally asking about games where it is actually handled well, not to rehash the magic supremacy argument in D&D.

I think the spell components also have potential, which, again, has been squandered in D&D because it was never handled well and now it's essentially flavor unless there are specific expensive components, like a gp3M diamond that needs to be used/expended by the process of casting the spell or something.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was talking more to XD's point, but it seems like it would be perfectly consistent to do some kind of check to see how effective a spellcast is.

The biggest problem is that in a game defined by its uncertainty, only some players have access to an ultra-reliable mechanic

Either make everything uncertain or bring eveything up to that level of reliability. They did that in 4e and players hated that "everybody is magic now!" which kind of betrays the amount of indoctrination D&D causes when that's their only vocabulary.

moths fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 28, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I had always thought that the diamond thing caused the diamond to crumble into dust but i think it's funnier if just now nobody will buy the diamond. Like obfuscate from WOD but instead of people not noticing it they just supernaturally are like "nahhh I don't want it."

Breaking it down to its mechanics, the question is about instances where players' main power is bound up in a contingent element that can be temporarily taken from the player. This is often considered just feel-bad design so its often just kind of not engaged with even when its an option. The best I've personally experienced was in Firebrands, where a PC lost their mech very early on and engaged with the rest of the session on foot - fortunately Firebrands has a lot of talk heavy options. I think it might work a bit in LANCER because while the VAST majority of your power is in your mech, the pilot still has some options.

COD games are kind of about this in a deeper way but I think you're asking it a little more binary. COD games are largely about resources, and any supernatural can run out of their primary supernatural pretty fast (e.g. it's pretty easy to burn through your vitae as a vampire), and when you're out you're pretty loving tapped, but that's not so much a single item that you have or don't have.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Iron Heart posted:

I think you might be confusing 4e and 3.5e. The 3rd edition rules and their revision are more or less identical, with minor exceptions aside, and give a speed of "30 feet" for humans, unlike 4e, which gives a speed of 6 squares. It has quirks like the spell called darkness setting the light level to dim light regardless of prior conditions (bright light or total darkness) to remain distinct from the higher-level deeper darkness spell, but the rules underlying light and dark mostly work intuitively.

For that matter, 4e had something resembling 3e's light rules as well.
Many of the 3.0 -> 3.5 changes were specifically to make it more grid-friendly, like changing monster base sizes to square instead of irregular. (for example, horses were 5×10 in 3.0 instead of 10×10.)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's actually in Reve De Dragon. There's a dreamscape the wizard players move their avatar around which gives them different power levels in different spells based on where they are on it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
A game I helped edit about five years ago while the creator was in hospice has now finally emerged to see the light of day. GRIT is a horror game based on the Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine rules where characters in the time of the Roman Empire explore an endless labyrinth of interconnected tombs.

I'm interested to see what people make of a highly-focused Chuubo variant.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Does it require prior knowledge of Chuubo’s or is it roughly standalone?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Does it require prior knowledge of Chuubo’s or is it roughly standalone?

It's completely standalone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The 2022 New Years Resolutions Thread is up!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Incidentally, random fact I learned recently: Glitch has a higher wordcount than Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine even though the book is about half the size.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
What exactly is the game drive of glitch? I played nobilis, so I’m familiar with the setting, but i don’t see what you’d do that was different than playing a power.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

What exactly is the game drive of glitch? I played nobilis, so I’m familiar with the setting, but i don’t see what you’d do that was different than playing a power.

Glitch is highly-driven by the fact that Strategists are constantly, eternally dying, and how retired Strategists have to figure out how they're going to live their lives because even though they've stopped trying to kill the world, the world is still killing them.

It has a lot of elements that resonate with themes of chronic illness, depression, self-destructive behavior, and various LBGT stuff. Mechanically speaking, it revolves around attention – things are literally more important if the players are paying attention to them, and sometimes things will just fail to materialize if the players ignore them (like the time a group I was playing in monologued for twenty minutes before noticing that their nemesis was literally in the room, because nobody bothered to look).

Nobilis, at least as fourth edition is shaping up, is more about power and trauma, and is a kind of brightly-colored take on how you shape yourself to fit the impossible circumstances you find yourself in.

Glitch is "every interaction with my dad is scraping off a tiny bit of my soul and being a wizard doesn't help", and Nobilis is "when I crash my Ferarri, Dad buys me another one without asking questions, but he doesn't understand why I don't like the job he lined up for me as Mitch McConnell's intern."

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the write up!

What about chuubo’s? Is it much more light hearted? The descriptions mention ghibli movies and i’m trying to picture kiki’s delivery service married to the world of Nobilis.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Thanks for the write up!

What about chuubo’s? Is it much more light hearted? The descriptions mention ghibli movies and i’m trying to picture kiki’s delivery service married to the world of Nobilis.

Chuubo's honestly does a lot of things, which is one reason why it's so big (although the main reason is the layout and all the cards). It has eight different genre modes, each of which can sustain its own game (Glitch runs in Chuubo's red Immersive Fantasy mode, while Nobilis is the blue Epic Fantasy mode.). The most prominent genre is the purple Pastoral genre, which I would generally describe as the mode where what would normally be the A-plot is secondary, and the actual important moments are the bits in-between where you talk about your feelings or just kind of vibe with each other while doing chores. Ghibli is definitely one of the best inspirations.

Mechanically speaking, Chuubo is primarily about picking out a set of quest cards which form a logical arc for your character, which you'll do in advance, and then filling out those quest cards with the right set of emotional beats as the appropriate moment for them to happen arrives in play.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is it more of a collaborative story telling thing? What role does the GM play?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I got a pdf for a game about playing with your cat and translating their real world actions into game actions.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

so I’ve been helping parents clean out over the holidays, found a case of various warhammer pieces from ~20 years ago - would anyone be able to suggest a good way to get rid of them (and ideally a price point I should be asking for the lot)?

I’ve got some photos that I’ll upload in a bit, but content is an awfully painted land raider, a bunch of spruce pieces, then a vast selection of assorted metal things - demon prince, bunch of chaos marines and terminators, and then some eldar painted by a pervert (very carefully painted nipples)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

VileLL posted:

so I’ve been helping parents clean out over the holidays, found a case of various warhammer pieces from ~20 years ago - would anyone be able to suggest a good way to get rid of them (and ideally a price point I should be asking for the lot)?

I’ve got some photos that I’ll upload in a bit, but content is an awfully painted land raider, a bunch of spruce pieces, then a vast selection of assorted metal things - demon prince, bunch of chaos marines and terminators, and then some eldar painted by a pervert (very carefully painted nipples)
Who in your family was the pervert

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Without pictures it's really hard to tell.

Most of the older plastic 40k stuff has been replaced with more popular lines. Metal daemons (and metal anything but dark eldar) are kind of classic though, and some people will pay modern prices for them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shouldn't you ask your dad permission before selling his Sexy 40k minis

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

VileLL Senior posted:

Hahaha where did they come from hahaha must have been there when we moved in hahaha

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FirstAidKite posted:

I got a pdf for a game about playing with your cat and translating their real world actions into game actions.

incredible

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I don't browse this subforum as much as I should, but I was wondering if there any particular threads, discussions or effort posts about pre-session prep or even DMing in general that anyone cares to link me to? (or, failing that, maybe we can talk about it here)

I'm working to bring back a 5e campaign that I've had on hiatus since the end of 2020, basically a heavily reworked version of Descent into Avernus, taking a lot of cues from here on ways to modify the campaign book to make everything more generally coherent. I usually like to DM low fantasy systems, in particular Mythras/RQ6, so I found this necessary to ground the game and soften some of the more 'cartoony' vibes of the campaign.

That site has a few other articles of the blogger's thoughts on what I'm talking about, like this one on what they call the three clue rule, which I've found useful in my games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tulip posted:

incredible

The pdf also included a coupon code for their line of "gaming scents" to really set the mood of any tabletop game night.

quote:

Adventure Scents are scent special effects that add immersion to role-playing games, books, TV shows, computer games, or cosplay.
Is your RPG party starting the adventure in an inn? Try our Welcoming Inn scent which smells (rather strongly) of beef stew! Or break out our Rowdy Tavern scent with the pungent aromas of a wood bar and cheap ale.

Watching a TV show or playing a video game jam packed with the rotting dead? Try our Moldy Crypt scent which reeks like a dank basement with a dead squirrel.

Open a jar of Enchanted Forest or Pirate Ship to set the scene at your game table - no heat or flame required. Or, add scented beads to one of our scented lockets so you can smell like a Vampire’s Lair or Time Machine to go with your cosplay costume.

Our scented beads are long-lasting and come in several easy-to-use formats: scent packs, scentFX jars, and scent throws, and can be used with our scentable lockets.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Tosk posted:

I don't browse this subforum as much as I should, but I was wondering if there any particular threads, discussions or effort posts about pre-session prep or even DMing in general that anyone cares to link me to? (or, failing that, maybe we can talk about it here)

I'm working to bring back a 5e campaign that I've had on hiatus since the end of 2020, basically a heavily reworked version of Descent into Avernus, taking a lot of cues from here on ways to modify the campaign book to make everything more generally coherent. I usually like to DM low fantasy systems, in particular Mythras/RQ6, so I found this necessary to ground the game and soften some of the more 'cartoony' vibes of the campaign.

That site has a few other articles of the blogger's thoughts on what I'm talking about, like this one on what they call the three clue rule, which I've found useful in my games.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150535

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Thanks, sorry I didn't catch that before I posted!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Is it more of a collaborative story telling thing? What role does the GM play?

The GM plays pretty much the same role as usual, running "the world" and helping players figure out the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

The pdf also included a coupon code for their line of "gaming scents" to really set the mood of any tabletop game night.

This has obvious logistical problems like not gaming in public spaces and being highly dependent on players possibly having allergies, but assuming that stuff can be ignored, it’s a really cute idea.

Not sure if it’s a good idea, of course, but maybe it is and I gotta give them points just for thinking of it.