Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The realization that for all of the talk about the Monday night wars WCW's peak and WWE's peak passed like 2 ships in the night. 98 was the only real year of the war and by then WCW was mostly coasting on inertia and Goldberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ganso Bomb posted:

What's something/someone in wrestling that you have fond memories of where it felt like a big part of your wrestling watching experience but actually wasn't around for very long?

Happened to see a blurb earlier that Demolition was really only active in WWF for about 4 years as a team. They were such a massive part of wrestling for me when I was a kid that they feel like they were just there forever. I guess for a kid between the ages of 4 and 8, everything just seems bigger in that way?

I guess Brock Lesnar's first stint was this for many people, until his return made it a bit less special. I personally started watching in the late 2002, so for me his run was only 17 months, but until the last month he was either the champ or chasing the title.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I thought Heidenreich was going to be a big deal as I liked his look, and pairing him with Heyman seemed like an obvious attempt to recapture the magic of Lesnar, but I don't think he was around for long at all. He scared some kids, raped Michael Cole, and then became a Road Warrior in the span of, what, two years? Before completely disappearing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How many times did Animal find a new Road Warrior to replace Hawk over the years? I remember at least Crush, Droz, and Heidenreich.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How many times did Animal find a new Road Warrior to replace Hawk over the years? I remember at least Crush, Droz, and Heidenreich.

I think those are the big ones, but on the flipside, in 1990s New Japan Hawk got himself a new Road Warrior, Power Warror, aka Kensuke Sasaki. I think Animal sat out for 2-3 years with a bad injury while enjoying his Lloyd's of London insurance payout.

Actually, was Crush a Road Warrior? I don't remember that at all, he was the Demolition replacement.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 28, 2021

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

forkboy84 posted:

I think those are the big ones, but on the flipside, in 1990s New Japan Hawk got himself a new Road Warrior, Power Warror, aka Kensuke Sasaki. I think Animal sat out for 2-3 years with a bad injury while enjoying his Lloyd's of London insurance payout.

Actually, was Crush a Road Warrior? I don't remember that at all, he was the Demolition replacement.

It was during his Kona Crush face days after SummerSlam 92. It was only part of an incredibly short house show run to the point that there's only one or two very blurry pics of it out there.

I remember someone at school telling me about it around the time and I was pumped because I liked Crush and LOD, but when it never showed up on TV, I figured the kid was just being a lying rear end in a top hat.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Thanks for all the responses, they've been fun to read so far! I won't quote-reply everybody, but definitely feel connected to a bunch of these replies. The bWo was like the height of comedy in wrestling to me as a kid. ECW was always my poo poo once I was turned onto it, so them sticking it to WCW and the nWo like that was just magic to me.

Similar to a post about Barry Windham and his short WWF run would be Waylon Mercy for me. I feel like that character is looked upon super fondly now by a lot of people and it's kind of wild that his run with that character didn't even last 6 months.

I also remember The Beautiful People as a short-term RAW theme and as a weirdo alt/goth kid who was into Marilyn Manson at the time (he's been revealed as a trashbag human now, obviously) it was like worlds colliding.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Was Droz any good? Literally all I remember is that he could puke on command.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Was Droz any good? Literally all I remember is that he could puke on command.

Not really but in his defense, he was still sorta green when the match with D-Lo happened

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ganso Bomb posted:

I also remember The Beautiful People as a short-term RAW theme and as a weirdo alt/goth kid who was into Marilyn Manson at the time (he's been revealed as a trashbag human now, obviously) it was like worlds colliding.

The Beautiful People intro was the best intro because by the time they changed the theme, they had to remove shots of guys no longer with the company like Sid and Bret. So the Manson version has a better look at the "ring is on fire chaotic Royal Rumble" poo poo from the end of the intro.

I do have this vague memory from around that time of Vince and Lawler on commentary, watching someone who had a rock gimmick and Lawler jokingly asked whitebread Vince if he was into any metal. Vince paused for a bit and gave a legit answer of, "I like that song 'The Beautiful People,'" which explains why that song keeps popping up in WWE. I can't remember who they were watching, though, considering Man Mountain Rock and Rad Radford were both gone before that song was released.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gavok posted:

The Beautiful People intro was the best intro because by the time they changed the theme, they had to remove shots of guys no longer with the company like Sid and Bret. So the Manson version has a better look at the "ring is on fire chaotic Royal Rumble" poo poo from the end of the intro.

I do have this vague memory from around that time of Vince and Lawler on commentary, watching someone who had a rock gimmick and Lawler jokingly asked whitebread Vince if he was into any metal. Vince paused for a bit and gave a legit answer of, "I like that song 'The Beautiful People,'" which explains why that song keeps popping up in WWE. I can't remember who they were watching, though, considering Man Mountain Rock and Rad Radford were both gone before that song was released.

The Headbangers, maybe?

This weird (and kind of loving cool) site that compiles roster members by date was helpful in narrowing it down: https://www.thesmackdownhotel.com/roster/?promotion=wwe&date=1997

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Gavok posted:

The Headbangers? They even wore Marilyn Manson shirts.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wow, yeah. That makes sense.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Man mountain rock was the dude who in the very early 2000s was planning on releasing a “behind the scene” movie of his backstage recordings on a camcorder or something right?

Whatever happened to that?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nystral posted:

Man mountain rock was the dude who in the very early 2000s was planning on releasing a “behind the scene” movie of his backstage recordings on a camcorder or something right?

Whatever happened to that?

What I'd heard is he was offered money to bury it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

forkboy84 posted:

Crush was only a replacement because Hawk walked out of the company and Animal wanted to finish out their dates. It wasn't like "Here's the new LOD!"

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Ganso Bomb posted:

What's something/someone in wrestling that you have fond memories of where it felt like a big part of your wrestling watching experience but actually wasn't around for very long?

Happened to see a blurb earlier that Demolition was really only active in WWF for about 4 years as a team. They were such a massive part of wrestling for me when I was a kid that they feel like they were just there forever. I guess for a kid between the ages of 4 and 8, everything just seems bigger in that way?

Little late on this, but Terry Funk as Chainsaw Charlie is what really cemented and opened me and my brother up to wrestling growing up. Led to diving into Terry's career and he remains one of my favorite wrestlers ever.

Still remember the dumpster spot and thinking "dude wtf".

Obviously Mick Foley was a part of that as well; my brother got Have a Nice Day for Christmas the year it came out and that also went a long way to creating a fan of the medium. But he clearly doesn't fit the original criteria.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Saw someone post a screenshot of an old magazine ad for IWA play-by-mail wrestling and decided to look it up. This loving thing is still going! Did anyone do this growing up? A friend and I did it for at least a few cycles. I remember getting the newsletter in the mail and having our characters mentioned in there was the coolest poo poo as a kid. Blows my mind that it's still running all these years later (and has a website that still looks the part for a play-by-mail wrestling game: https://www.playiwa.com/main.htm).

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i filled out a card thing for that but didn't actually join it because they don't come and pick up your outgoing mail in the woods. you have to go to a dropbox. didn't want to

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gavok posted:

Legion of Doom in WWF. Their main run was less than a year and a half. Then there was a hiccup where they lost their titles at a house show and vanished while the company basically replaced them with the Natural Disasters. This disappearance was only in-between Royal Rumble and WrestleMania, but felt really noticeable. Especially since their return was immediately poisoned with the Rocko gimmick and they were gone after SummerSlam. After that, any time they showed up, it was apparent that wrestling had left them behind.

Has anybody ever explained... just, why Rocco? You need more than your daily recommend allowance of sodium for it, I'm sure, but even Prichard talking about it?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Dawgstar posted:

Has anybody ever explained... just, why Rocco? You need more than your daily recommend allowance of sodium for it, I'm sure, but even Prichard talking about it?

From Paul Ellering:

quote:

One of the topics that James Guttman had always wondered about was WWF's introduction of Rocco The Ventriloquist Dummy to the Legion of Doom. When Animal appeared on ClubWWI.com, he didn't speak highly of the angle, which many thought was done to discredit the Roadies. Paul's thoughts on it are:

"It was just a point to, uh, the office at that time thought the guys just can't get no sympathy. It was just something thrown in there to give them a perk. Maybe work something around it, but nothing ever came of it. "

JG brought up all the rumors at the time about angles involving the dummy, but none happened. Ellering said that they could have done a lot with it, but didn't do anything.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Was there much buzz around the former Simon Gotch prior to him signing to NXT or was he just part of the big wave of indie signings when 1.0 was ramping up?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

From Paul Ellering:

I know we laugh about Vince et al being horrendously out of touch, but I can't imagine anyone in that office honestly thinking the following two thoughts about the LOD at the same time in 1992:

1)"The LOD need help getting over as baby faces"
2)"A puppet is the perfect vehicle to get someone over in 1992 as a baby face"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Was there much buzz around the former Simon Gotch prior to him signing to NXT or was he just part of the big wave of indie signings when 1.0 was ramping up?

If you paid close attention to California indies you might have known the name but otherwise I doubt anyone would notice.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My "short lived but thought it was longer" thing is that I could've sworn Randy Orton had 'This Fire Burns' for at least a few months before they gave it to Punk, but I think Randy literally only came out to it once or twice. My memory must have conflated it with another theme change.

Lamuella posted:

Smackdown only used The Beautiful People as its theme music from August 2001 to May 2003 but I still think of it as the Smackdown theme music.
When I see the words "Smackdown theme" all that goes through my mind is URRA-HURR-HURPA-GURR RURRA-HERPA-GURRA-DURR

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Defenestrategy posted:

Ken Shamrock in the WWF, 4/7/97 - 9/21/99 two years five months. 146 televised matches according to Cagematch.

I still love Shamrock to this day! The true King of Kings, as he beat Owen & HHH in the one and only king of kings match

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

When I see the words "Smackdown theme" all that goes through my mind is URRA-HURR-HURPA-GURR RURRA-HERPA-GURRA-DURR

It’s obviously WIBBLY WOO WOBBLY WOW WOBBLY WOBBLY WOBBLY WOW

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1476341722682511361

Has it been established who is the identity of the person that Meltzer thinks shouldn't be on the WON HOF ballot?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Joke Answer: Big Daddy

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

real answer: Big Daddy

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Alaois posted:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Kevino07 posted:

Has it been established who is the identity of the person that Meltzer thinks shouldn't be on the WON HOF ballot?

Unreal Answer: Nikki Bella

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kevino07 posted:

Naito

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Alaois posted:

Ralph answer: Regular Daddy

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kevino07 posted:

I'd almost want to say Junkyard Dog because it feels like Meltzer likes to run JYD down a whole lot.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Who dat think that they gonna beat the Dog (to a HOF Nomination.)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

I know we laugh about Vince et al being horrendously out of touch, but I can't imagine anyone in that office honestly thinking the following two thoughts about the LOD at the same time in 1992:

1)"The LOD need help getting over as baby faces"
2)"A puppet is the perfect vehicle to get someone over in 1992 as a baby face"

Speaking as someone who was a) watching wrestling in 1992 and b) at a school in 1992 where everyone watched wrestling, Legion of Doom was so loving over with us that we weren't even sure what was going on when we hadn't seen them for a while. We just thought LOD (and the Bushwhackers) were among the coolest people who had ever loving lived. They were perfect and there was no need then to tinker with anything.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Alaois posted:

Ok, so I know next to nothing about British wrestling and I've rarely seen Big Daddy outside of a couple clips. Why did he suck so bad and yet seems to have been very over in his part of the world?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TheKingslayer posted:

Ok, so I know next to nothing about British wrestling and I've rarely seen Big Daddy outside of a couple clips. Why did he suck so bad and yet seems to have been very over in his part of the world?

Big Daddy matches are like modern Seagal movies - the lead attraction is horribly out of shape and needs a younger, more athletic partner to do everything that isn't bumping bellies with another grossly out of shape guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So was the UK just into gigantic fat dudes like him and Giant Haystacks?

Sounds bleak.