Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grobbit
Jan 20, 2009

Charles posted:

Leather is against my beliefs too so that's frustrating. According to the rep all trims of the Ioniq 5 have a leather steering wheel, despite the rest of the interior being vegan. I don't know if it's actually true as they don't have their poo poo together.

A possible alternative would be the sibling car from Kia, the EV6 which seems to offer "vegan leather" (aka fake leather) and suede as options. At least on the UK site it also explicitly states that the steering wheel would be vegan as well, as for the US side of things it's less clear since Kia is still showing pre-production images and disclaimers but it looks much more likely that you could spec it for at least.

The underlying platform/drivetrain/batteries are so similar as to be a almost the same, though the styling externally and internally are fairly different (which is a good thing IMO)

Kia US Site posted:

https://www.kia.com/us/en/ev6
Sustainability Built Right In
The EV6 incorporates sustainable design elements throughout its construction, from the use of more than 100 recycled PET bottles for interior parts, 100% LED lighting, and the exclusive use of vegan leather.

*“Vegan Leather” describes synthetic leather made from no animal by products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Charles posted:

Leather is against my beliefs too so that's frustrating. According to the rep all trims of the Ioniq 5 have a leather steering wheel, despite the rest of the interior being vegan. I don't know if it's actually true as they don't have their poo poo together.

Are y’all sure it’s really leather and not the PU “leather” that is what’s actually available in 95% of cars in the $20-40k range?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

The biggest argument against the M3 is basically echoes of the goon having a hell of a time with the repairs. You roll the dice with the condition of the vehicle.

Let me tell you a story about a Mercury Zephyr...

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Are y’all sure it’s really leather and not the PU “leather” that is what’s actually available in 95% of cars in the $20-40k range?

No, how would one determine this?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, but it’s not MX-5 enjoyable. It’s not even Fiesta ST enjoyable

Is there any EV that's small and enjoyable like that?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

cruft posted:

No, how would one determine this?

Google? Manufacturer specific forums? Review articles?

Edit: from 5 min of googling it would appear that it’s a blended deal where the seating surfaces are “galvanized” (treated) leather and the rest of the upholstery is matched vinyl.

Quoting a Bolt owners forum:

You can add the Driver Confidence package to an LT Bolt. That adds Rear Parking Assist, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, and Lane Change Alert w/Side Blind Zone Alert

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 29, 2021

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Failson posted:

The new Fiat 500e looks pretty neat, and I hope they bring it back to North America.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The new Fiat 500e looks pretty neat, and I hope they bring it back to North America.

why? Were the gas and diesel ones that mostly flopped in America not lovely and low-quality enough for you?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Failson posted:

Have you heard the good news about the Chevrolet Spark EV?

Wow, they're selling for ~$3k more than what I paid for mine 5 years ago.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...e&numRecords=25

Fun as hell, good "around town" range, and the DCFC (if equipped) is fast due to the small battery (19-21kWh depending on year).

If you have a second car and can be honest about your 95% use case for transportation, the Spark EV is an incredible option.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

why? Were the gas and diesel ones that mostly flopped in America not lovely and low-quality enough for you?

Why are you posting in this thread, seriously?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Why are you posting in this thread, seriously?

I didn’t know that acknowledging that FCA/Stellantis/Chrysler/FIAT has a decades-long history of selling lovely, low-quality cars with poor reliability and durability was a thread sin

But I‘ve got 6 pages worth of posts ITT full of pertinent content, EV-specific discussion, advice based on research and experience, and so forth eat me

Failson posted:

i3 is pretty drat fun, basically drives like a BMW should

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 29, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Grobbit posted:

A possible alternative would be the sibling car from Kia, the EV6 which seems to offer "vegan leather" (aka fake leather) and suede as options. At least on the UK site it also explicitly states that the steering wheel would be vegan as well, as for the US side of things it's less clear since Kia is still showing pre-production images and disclaimers but it looks much more likely that you could spec it for at least.

The underlying platform/drivetrain/batteries are so similar as to be a almost the same, though the styling externally and internally are fairly different (which is a good thing IMO)

Suede is another kind of leather, unless they meant vegan suede. Also I really like the sliding console of the Ioniq 5.

It's all academic anyways as I can't afford it right now.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Manufacturer spec sheet says so and I asked my preorder "conceriege". As mentioned they didn't even know prices or anything until now so who knows really.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Pretty much any *checks notes* Stellantis product is off the table, due to horrible reliability, and the inability of fiatsler mechanics to fix said problems.

It hurts to say that, since my family loved Chryslers.

Wayne Knight posted:

Have you heard the good news about the Chevrolet Spark EV?

Wow, they're selling for ~$3k more than what I paid for mine 5 years ago.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...e&numRecords=25

Fun as hell, good "around town" range, and the DCFC (if equipped) is fast due to the small battery (19-21kWh depending on year).

If you have a second car and can be honest about your 95% use case for transportation, the Spark EV is an incredible option.

I had not! That sounds cheap and good.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I didn’t know that acknowledging that FCA/Stellantis/Chrysler/FIAT has a decades-long history of selling lovely, low-quality cars with poor reliability and durability was a thread sin

But I‘ve got 6 pages worth of posts ITT full of pertinent content, EV-specific discussion, advice based on research and experience, and so forth eat me

i3 is pretty drat fun, basically drives like a BMW should

I am very tempted by the i3, because I love the Giga World's goofy late-80's conference room interior.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
The Bolt has a decent amount more range in the real world than the SR Model 3, right?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

MrLogan posted:

The Bolt has a decent amount more range in the real world than the SR Model 3, right?

According to Bjorn, its about the same: In Europe the Bolt is the Opel Ampera-e

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V6ucyFGKWuSQzvI8lMzvvWJHrBS82echMVJH37kwgjE/edit?usp=sharing

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Failson posted:

Honda e is super cute, but last I saw, its charging capability (aside from range) wasn't great.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Failson posted:

Not in the U.S. but the Kia Soul EV, small, yes, not enjoyable like a Fiesta ST or MX-5 but a different kind of fun, IMO.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Boy I hope the next electrician comes through because I'm definitely not running this rig overnight

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 29, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's what GFCI is for :poop:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

Boy I hope the next electrician comes through because I'm definitely not running this rig overnight

Better than my temporary setup. I ran a cable from my kitchen's stove outlet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Since we're talking about materials, I got the Weavetech option for the Polestar seats, I like it quite a bit; it's a neoprene-like material so it's easy to clean but also seems to be comfortable in both heat and cold (which is my main complaint with leather: I can't stand leather when it's hot). Biggest downside was that there was no option for ventilated seats + weavetech

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

Haha. Every part of that sentence sounds familiar to me.

Supposedly an electrician is coming tomorrow to install outlets near the driveway and do a bunch of other work at our new place, but we'll see what happens. We've spent several weeks calling electricians (double digits, I lost count) and having them not show up to do estimates, or show up and not give estimates, refusing to give estimates without us agreeing to work up front, and so on.

In the mean time we're running a cable across the sidewalk at the current place and hoping that no one trips on it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I don't think the Miata really fits since it's not going to fit 2 car seats well but an electric Fiesta ST would be pretty cool. Maybe Ford will do it some day. Until then, the Bolt's the only player in North America in its class/price point with a drivetrain that suits the topic.

I read they're going to start selling the KIA Soul EV in the US in 2022, that seems like a pretty close competitor to the Bolt. They've sold them forever up in Canada and we're currently debating between the two. Need to take then both for a test drive. The KIA is a little more expensive, but Chevy financing is :lol:. 5.99% finance, 7.49% lease?? Yeah, pass.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The existing fiat 500e actually has solid electric drivetrain and components. People are reporting 120 mi in City driving, California weather. It's also slightly quicker than a gasoline car. It's more comparable to the older Leaf, and priced about the same on a used car market.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nitrox posted:

The existing fiat 500e actually has solid electric drivetrain and components. People are reporting 120 mi in City driving, California weather. It's also slightly quicker than a gasoline car. It's more comparable to the older Leaf, and priced about the same on a used car market.

It can go 120mi in California weather before breaking down. Color me impressed

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Finger Prince posted:

I read they're going to start selling the KIA Soul EV in the US in 2022

Really?? 🤞

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

I read they're going to start selling the KIA Soul EV in the US in 2022, that seems like a pretty close competitor to the Bolt. They've sold them forever up in Canada and we're currently debating between the two. Need to take then both for a test drive. The KIA is a little more expensive, but Chevy financing is :lol:. 5.99% finance, 7.49% lease?? Yeah, pass.

I just go to my credit union for a loan. Not sure if there's something like that in Canada though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I just go to my credit union for a loan. Not sure if there's something like that in Canada though.

Oh for sure, we'd get a bank loan if we went that route. Hell, I think our line of credit has a better rate than that.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Better than my temporary setup. I ran a cable from my kitchen's stove outlet.

I was trickle charging at level 1 from my kitchen to my detached garage for about 3 weeks but the electricians finally came and God drat does it feel nice to have my car at 100% every morning.

Now if I can just get the real plates finally...

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

Holy hell, I thought Tesla’s ~5.5% lease money factor was pricey. I guess the finance department has joined the “gently caress you, where else are you going to find a car in stock” party.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Tiny Timbs posted:

When I’m at the family house I have the travel charger coming through the window into an outlet in the enterance hallway. Looks janky as hell, but the outlet can handle it easily and I know the wiring can handle it without coming close to the max capacity. Doesn’t even get warm. Can’t wait until we get to the point in renovating where it’s time to put in a proper charger so that I don’t have to charge for 20 hours.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

Holy hell, I thought Tesla’s ~5.5% lease money factor was pricey. I guess the finance department has joined the “gently caress you, where else are you going to find a car in stock” party.

It explains why the Chevy dealers all have loads of bolts and bolt EUVs available on their lots.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kliras posted:

I didn't know about this before, and I thought the lack of a rear wiper was weird enough, but apparently the interior leather (steering wheel aside) is real in EU but fake in US (5:00)? There are some weird decisions in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snWw1gF5iDI&t=298s

"Leatherette" appears to be their word for fake leather.

There are three trim levels in Europe, Progress(textile interiors), Innovation(textile-leather) and Evolution(leather). The AWD variant is sold only as Evolution trim.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Failson posted:

Pretty much any *checks notes* Stellantis product is off the table, due to horrible reliability, and the inability of fiatsler mechanics to fix said problems.

Peugeot, Citroën/DS, Opel/Vauxhall are all great, sorry you only get the lovely Italian/American parts of the lineup.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

It explains why the Chevy dealers all have loads of bolts and bolt EUVs available on their lots.

There's not a single Bolt in the entire state of New Mexico. None in El Paso, either.

Maybe it's time for a trip to the PNW.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Finger Prince posted:

I believe they're still under a stop sale order. A dealer near me shows EUVs in stock on Autotrader but nothing on their actual site.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Back at the goddamn Dairy Queen in Sutherlin OR.

160.4 miles
Temps ~35F
Used 72% of charge so 63.4 kWh so 2.5 miles/kWh

Trip meter says 16% of my energy went to climate use, 5% accessories, 5% external temperature.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Am I going to be stuck with using the dumb distance/consumption metric rather than the far superior consumption/distance one when I switch to an F-150 Lightning? 250 Wh/mi is way better and fair to compare against other vehicles than 4 mi/kWh.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

miles per kWh is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

miles per kWh is better.

Not really, and this is another one of those things that only America does while the rest of the world would rather know how many kWh it takes to drive 100 miles(or kilometers).