Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BigFactory posted:

But at their worst they’re Mike love in a MAGA hat

The Beach Boys are probably my all-time favorite band and they only existed from 1961-73.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

I love The Beatles. I just don't think there's much left to be gained from listening to The Beatles. That well's tapped to gently caress.

I did however scoop this one up from my mom, who straight up stopped listening to music after The Beatles broke up. CPL gonna have to give me a spare MMT, 'case it doesn't come in this set.

Also: obligatory Residents/Beatles shoutout.

Mr. "I can't sell you my extra copy of The Apple soundtrack" suddenly wants a favor!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

caligulamprey posted:

I love The Beatles. I just don't think there's much left to be gained from listening to The Beatles. That well's tapped to gently caress.

I did however scoop this one up from my mom, who straight up stopped listening to music after The Beatles broke up. CPL gonna have to give me a spare MMT, 'case it doesn't come in this set.

Get a German Horzu to round that out: https://www.discogs.com/release/4726560-The-Beatles-Magical-Mystery-Tour-Plus-Other-Songs

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Mr. "I can't sell you my extra copy of The Apple soundtrack" suddenly wants a favor!
I keep telling you, I need four copies so I can play it like a good version of The Flaming Lips’ Zaireeka.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
We need a goon meet to Zaireeka some herb Alpert

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BigFactory posted:

I listen to a ton more classical music than I used to. I would tune in to classical radio sometimes but I would rarely know anything about the music that was playing and you’d have to wait sometimes a long time to find out so you could learn more about the composer or the piece, etc. I love how you can pick up basically unplayed classical records for a buck and they have high quality liner notes, etc.

It was the audiophile prestige genre for the longest time so it also features some of the best sound you can get out of early stereo recordings. You absolutely need a record cleaner, though. Noise kills classical records far more than other genres. (classical was one of the first genres to shift to CDs for a good reason)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It was the audiophile prestige genre for the longest time so it also features some of the best sound you can get out of early stereo recordings. You absolutely need a record cleaner, though. Noise kills classical records far more than other genres. (classical was one of the first genres to shift to CDs for a good reason)

It could also take better advantage of the dynamic range.

So a vinyl record has about 60 DB of dynamic range compared to a CD with about 90 DB. Now, for pop and rock music, even 60 is overkill. But for classical - you can push that range, especially if you have cannons in your orchestra.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Johann Pachelbel is pretty overrated.

My evidence is how much better this remake is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz_NxOF7RB4

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Really wished I pulled the trigger on Armand Hammer's "Haram" the day that album was announced :negative:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I really wish I'd grabbed one of these when they still cost about 30 bucks.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

pwn posted:

The only Beatles covers worth the plastic they’re pressed on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JAX8VfFft4
Son of a gun, the timing of this was exquisite. Thank ya kindly! :tipshat:

Also: Oh man, I haven't bought records in a hot minute 'cause I'm too busy buying ridiculous movie box sets (where's my Shawscope box UPS :argh:), but I walked into the local record store and they had it right up front on display:

The guy at the counter immediately perked up and said he stuck it right up front in hopes that someone would snag it. At the very least I now know I am Record Store Worker cool.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
You’re a hard petromyzon to buy for, hope you enjoy the vastly superior Fab Four.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Finally got to visit previously-mentioned-in-thread awesome store My Vinyl Underground/Jigsaw Records in Portland, OR this afternoon.

Great shop, small but full (it’s literally in the basement of a comic book store), awesome, AWESOME prices on records you’re not seeing everyday. If you love indie pop/punk/Britpop/shoegaze etc, this shop should be a MUST-VISIT for you.

You can tell the dude who runs the shop just loves what he does, and his passion comes through in every aspect of the store. Literally each record has a little blurb from him explaining the vibe of the music and why you should get it!

He ended up not having the exact record I was looking for but he recommended like five other bands who are similar to/on the same label as the band I was interested in and he was playing music and running around into his store to see if he had vinyl copies.

He was so awesome and passionate I ended up spending and buying more records than I even originally intended to! LOL and RIP to my money!!!

A true gem of a store, and he sells everything online as well. Can’t recommended it enough. Check them out if you haven’t already!!!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Conrad_Birdie posted:

You can tell the dude who runs the shop just loves what he does, and his passion comes through in every aspect of the store. Literally each record has a little blurb from him explaining the vibe of the music and why you should get it!

Currently I have not the words to post how important this blurb has been to me and I was so happy to see it on there when I got it a couple years later. Someday I will have the words.

That was a beautiful writeup. Thanks for posting it. Everyone else please go give Jigsaw your money.

Edit: Have a 4k unboxing of a puzzle I shot today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR5VSMhesL4

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A record store under a comic book store sounds like a place I willed into existence.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

CPL593H posted:

A record store under a comic book store sounds like a place I willed into existence.

The comic book store was great too!! Books with Pictures is the name of it! If you’re in Portland ever check out both!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I pass Books with Pictures on the way to work every day and I've been curious ever since they put out the sandwich board advertising vinyl, I'll have to get all up in it if it's good.

On the other hand, I finally got around to checking Sunshine Records and they wanted thirty loving dollars for Boi-Ngo. Hard pass.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

I pass Books with Pictures on the way to work every day and I've been curious ever since they put out the sandwich board advertising vinyl, I'll have to get all up in it if it's good.

On the other hand, I finally got around to checking Sunshine Records and they wanted thirty loving dollars for Boi-Ngo. Hard pass.

Is that the big boi/ Andy ngo collab?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ain't the best Boingo record, but at least it's got We Close Our Eyes on it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Is that the big boi/ Andy ngo collab?

Yeah, it's on limited edition milkshake colored vinyl.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/srirachachau/status/1476976156482015235?s=21

quote:

If you should ever leave me
Well life would still go on, believe me
The world could show nothing to me
So what good would living do me

That’s some good “rhyming”

i do like the song

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the most important bit in each line is the third syllable from the end, which is why it rhymes from there, why it's stressed, and why the melody emphasizes that syllable and why am I talking about a song from like 1965

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

They’re both equally destructive in that they gave us Animal Collective so neither band is good.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Animal Collective is actually the only good band.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
something that blew my mind recently was someone claiming that "School Days" by Gentle Giant was proto-Animal Collective and when I listen to it now holy poo poo that is spot on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVy4_rf8TYc

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
in other news it looks like Needlejuice (a goon-run label) is reissuing Dinosaurchestra and a new remaster of Spirit Phone by Lemon Demon (who was also a goon). they claim the new Spirit Phone remaster is a notable difference which has my attention but unfortunately they aren't actually gonna ship until loving August at the earliest which I think is a good indication of how this year is gonna go for us nerds

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Animal Collective owes The Residents $5 'cause Sung Tongs is 80% Eskimo and it's kinda shameless.

(Centipede Hz. is where it's at)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

cosmicjim posted:

Johann Pachelbel is pretty overrated.

My evidence is how much better this remake is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz_NxOF7RB4

I loved her in Dracula 2000. That's my take on the Beatles.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

But I came to post and post I shall. Took in a bunch of good old stuff, classic Goodwill finds, including an 80s band that I can barely remember but have some recollection of hearing good stuff about, Dumptruck.

And look at this cute puppy:

And this movie kind of captures some hint of the spirit of the general antiwar movement, etc. from the post WWII time period that we all abandoned in order to become world policemen:

And yeah, the absence of nonwhites in the film did kind of predict how all that would turn out, why? But I've got it on a double video disc set anyway.

And here are three old school chanteuse albums, I love this kind of stuff:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That Dumptruck album threw me for a loop because I thought I was in the thrift store thread and you had found a crushed dump truck toy from the 70s

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Heath posted:

That Dumptruck album threw me for a loop because I thought I was in the thrift store thread and you had found a crushed dump truck toy from the 70s

I was trying to figure out wtf I was seeing but it appears to be a toy dumptruck frozen into ice and then the photo was trimmed to the shape of an ice cube?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

This seems mostly to be Donovan's starting folk stuff, not what he's best known for. Donna, Donna, however is an absolutely fantastic cover and Universal Soldier is quite good, too.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Good I wasn't the only one fascinated by the Dumptruck cover, I thought it was a weird glass dish before I parsed it. Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5jtqCo43WM

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

Good I wasn't the only one fascinated by the Dumptruck cover, I thought it was a weird glass dish before I parsed it. Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5jtqCo43WM

I loved that. Thank you.

I took receipt of this, the records are no good but well I just bought a cool piece of art for a nostalgia themed restaurant chain I guess, call me:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

RC and Moon Pie posted:

This seems mostly to be Donovan's starting folk stuff, not what he's best known for. Donna, Donna, however is an absolutely fantastic cover and Universal Soldier is quite good, too.

I also found a nice copy of an album of his, 7-Tease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8R8AxMaOxo

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dumptruck is good. I used to work for their frontman's wife's theater company, which is where I first encountered them. The album after that one is the only one I have on vinyl, but it's real nice

hexwren posted:

Here's what I got this weekend. The Dumptruck record is a real nice slice of mid-80s jangle.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is that some green Ween

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

it is, in fact, that

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Animal Collective owes The Residents $5 'cause Sung Tongs is 80% Eskimo and it's kinda shameless.

100%, I feel weird claiming any AnCo album is "underrated" but Centipede is crazy good and maybe even my favorite. that and Painting With feel like 2 albums that would be rated way higher if any other band did them. though with PW I can at least understand why people found it so obnoxious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

who what now? Sung Tongs is my fav Animal Collective album--who are The Residents, I want to check this out