Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Suburban Dad posted:

I've tried POE several times and I just can't understand how the gently caress to make characters stronger in that game. There's too many mechanics. Even following a build if I don't have some key piece of gear or have run the lab (these are loving awful and not fun) it seems my characters are poo poo. I get sick of playing games where I need a wiki and several tabs up to figure out how to play. Play time: 271 hours, lol.

D3 is great for a week or two, 3-4 times a year.

My PoE playtime is probably 4-5000 hours but my D3 playtime is probably a tenth of that lol! If D2 recorded playtime, well let's just say I spent pretty much my entire life from 2002 to 2008 playing it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This Inna’s Cyclone water build is so cool. Using Epiphany to just blink through the whole rift in 90 seconds while everything just dissolves like tissue paper in acid is loving sweet. Having way more fun with this monk than I was expecting.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
How do I join LLJK and find goons to play with?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dennis McClaren posted:

How do I join LLJK and find goons to play with?

Join the community. Look for them in the main menu before you're in a game. Search lljk. I don't think you need approved or anything. Dunno how many folks are currently playing still though. Drops off pretty quick after season start.

You are playing PC right? I don't think it's a thing on console.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
I know I am just a early season type player but hearing people clear GRs 100+ in 2 or 3 minutes seems nuts. Just seeing people with fire ally zooming around, I don't get how they move so fast.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The game hasn't changed much in years and the people who've stuck around have gotten very efficient at the game. Plus, with GRs being capped at 150, speed runs at 2-3 minutes will slowly climb to higher and higher GRs as the seasonal multipliers keep rising.

I think they should do 1 season a year where they just put all the prior seasonal themes together at once and just let poo poo go nuts. Make it a short season if necessary, but I'd love to have ethereals, soul shards, 4 kanai slots, kill streak multipliers, etc. all at once. There's a whole lot of ranking lists to populate anyway, let players have all the fun.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

iamsosmrt posted:

The game hasn't changed much in years and the people who've stuck around have gotten very efficient at the game. Plus, with GRs being capped at 150, speed runs at 2-3 minutes will slowly climb to higher and higher GRs as the seasonal multipliers keep rising.

I think they should do 1 season a year where they just put all the prior seasonal themes together at once and just let poo poo go nuts. Make it a short season if necessary, but I'd love to have ethereals, soul shards, 4 kanai slots, kill streak multipliers, etc. all at once. There's a whole lot of ranking lists to populate anyway, let players have all the fun.

I want to see an "oops all shrines" gimmick where when you hit a shrine you get the benefits of ALL shrines.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

iamsosmrt posted:

they probably wont do this but i hope they toss all this poo poo into the 'non seasonal' game once this one moves into permanent maintenance / no more seasons mode. they'll probably just re-do previous themes or do some mix/match stuff for a long time but i'd love to get shadow clones again as an occasional spawn. let me earn that 4th cube slot.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

TheJadedOne posted:

I know I am just a early season type player but hearing people clear GRs 100+ in 2 or 3 minutes seems nuts. Just seeing people with fire ally zooming around, I don't get how they move so fast.

I wasn't able to get past, like, GR 95 until this season and the previous one. It's really the buffs that help casual players like me. Now, I have no idea how I'll even get near 150, but I'm sure going to try this season.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think we’ll ever get to the point where D3 no longer has seasons but is still operational. They’ll sell it to one of the companies that shepherds ancient games like Everquest into the twilight and just put the 30 whatever seasons on rotation for eternity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Still hoping for my Season of the Nemesis idea where shrines and pylons automatically spawn elites and every action in the game also has a small chance of spawning elites. The grief would be incredible.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

TheJadedOne posted:

It's literally just one item, either in cube or in hand, that removes cooldowns from your teleport and you can zap around from elite pack to the next one and never stop. Of course often paired with +movement speed stuff, nemesis bracers and other good stuff. The sets are good enough to provide most of the killing power anyway.

Many players make the mistake of copying the slow GR push builds from the leaderboards or websites instead of finding the proper speed GR build which you should be playing for 90% of the season.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

exquisite tea posted:

Still hoping for my Season of the Nemesis idea where shrines and pylons automatically spawn elites and every action in the game also has a small chance of spawning elites. The grief would be incredible.

This would be my dream season. Scratch that I want every enemy to be an elite. Rifts just filled with yellow.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think we’ll ever get to the point where D3 no longer has seasons but is still operational. They’ll sell it to one of the companies that shepherds ancient games like Everquest into the twilight and just put the 30 whatever seasons on rotation for eternity.

You think Blizzard is going to sell D3 to some other company?! What?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I took the GR push build for WW barb from Icy Veins and just switched out Little Rogue/Slanderer for the WW weapon set. Felt like the best of both worlds. Little squishy but it has insane speed

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DeadlyHalibut posted:

It's literally just one item, either in cube or in hand, that removes cooldowns from your teleport and you can zap around from elite pack to the next one and never stop. Of course often paired with +movement speed stuff, nemesis bracers and other good stuff. The sets are good enough to provide most of the killing power anyway.

Many players make the mistake of copying the slow GR push builds from the leaderboards or websites instead of finding the proper speed GR build which you should be playing for 90% of the season.

This is a very very very very important point and is up there with people who complain about a build sucking and you come to find out they have like 3/10ths of the build in place across gear a break points.

Unless you plan on pushing your absolute max potential GR, you should basically always be using the solo or group speed variant of builds. Some builds will have even further specialization with speed neph, speed gr, and speed bounty variants as well as group versions of each of those if you really really wanted to squeeze everything you can out of the play style. But just having at least one core speed variant should be your first priority.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Most of the time a build’s push/speed variants won’t be that radically different. The problem most D3 newcomers encounter is copying whatever they see on icyveins or maxroll without really understanding how all the requisite skills/items come together so you get the equivalent of the youtube recipe comments section where people are like “I substituted Nagelring for a Compass Rose and now everything tastes terrible, 1/10.”

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Most of the time a build’s push/speed variants won’t be that radically different. The problem most D3 newcomers encounter is copying whatever they see on icyveins or maxroll without really understanding how all the requisite skills/items come together so you get the equivalent of the youtube recipe comments section where people are like “I substituted Nagelring for a Compass Rose and now everything tastes terrible, 1/10.”

Those two points kind of go hand in hand from my perspective. There usually is just a few pieces or gear swapped out and a skill or two, but that will make all the difference between super saiyan blinking around the map while everything explodes and moving at run speed while anything that gets close instantly melts or being resource starved because nothing lives long enough.

Though generally if you understand the mechanics of the build/gear to your point, they'll know enough to pickup the speed variants where appropriate.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

omg chael crash posted:

You think Blizzard is going to sell D3 to some other company?! What?

They'll probably discontinue seasons or just start repeating them every 6mo after D4 comes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think Blizzard would ever sell the license, but I do think that Blizzard could easily lease the Diablo 3 game client to the same publisher that keeps the lights on for Everquest or Planescape and just leave the servers on forever

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They didn't do that with D2 or any of their other IPs. I'd normally say you're hilariously wrong but if Activision finishes the take over who knows what they'll do to make a buck.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Mustached Demon posted:

They'll probably discontinue seasons or just start repeating them every 6mo after D4 comes.
There was a period where the seasons didn't actually have any new content, so they could always go back to that if they move the two people working on D3 to other projects.

D2 season resets never actually stopped, for comparison.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

D3 is the one Blizzard IP that isn't totally on fire at the moment, they should let the one intern they have designing the seasons stay on in perpetuity in a sealed bunker away from any would-be harassers.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I very much doubt they will sell or license out the game that only 18 other games have sold more copies of in history

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That many people bought/play Minecraft? Holy poo poo

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I did not expect Terraria to be so high

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Speaking of the franchise, I downloaded immortal today and it seems fine so far. Will have to see how it goes 2ith microtransaction bs though

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Zenithe posted:

Speaking of the franchise, I downloaded immortal today and it seems fine so far. Will have to see how it goes 2ith microtransaction bs though

its very playable and the micro transaction stuff is not as egregiously bad as it could be but its still pretty noticable.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Curses! is one of my go to conquests on PC, but it’s essentially impossible on Switch. I did the set dungeons this season as my third, and with a Gem of Ease it wasn’t bad. All of the necromancer set dungeons are extremely easy, if you are wondering about a second class to try with.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Curses can be done, just not solo. We got it first try with 2 players. But only got 352, heh.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I've never managed to get it done without a full 4 person party on switch but I have done it before

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

Curses can be done, just not solo. We got it first try with 2 players. But only got 352, heh.

Yeah, that was hilariously close

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
The Darkening of Tristam returns!

(I can't remember what it was)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
bunch of small retro events to get some cosmetics. i dont think any of them are hard, a few will take some time or multiple runs through the dungeons. you can get 2 pets and a legendary gem.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Love to get a gem that stuns me periodically

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The transmog for the Soul Stone headpiece is very cool

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

The transmog for the Soul Stone headpiece is very cool

It's my default head transmog. Also the whole thing is centered around a custom 16 level GR that recreates D1 and the zone has a retro screen filter and sfx. I usually do it at least once a year just to listen to the gold drop sound.

Shame all the gear that drops is blue/yellow. I'd love to make a Godly Plate of the Whale build or at least have it be a unique transmog.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I remember the first time this event went live, Diablo hadn’t been re-released yet on GOG. But now since I can play Diablo 1, the Tristram event seems unnecessary.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Diablo 1 is like trying to play video games through syrup and sandpaper, just trash, IMO

e: trash with legendary sound design and art direction that would change the face of gaming forever, but still trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I dunno. I played the GoG D1 a while ago and thought it held up pretty well, considering. IMO, pre-hotbar D2R is basically as clunky as D1 is, it's just faster because running and teleport.