Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

absolutly would. I sometimes just eat shredded beets with a lattice of mayo on top.

Please don’t remind me of herring under coat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
An Eastern Europe thresd with these salad descriptions wouldn't last an hour in GBS. They take perceived food blandness very seriously there.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

beets are really a superior vegetable. they have the body and versatility of the noble potato, the rustic earthiness of the venerable turnip, and a sweetness all their own which really combines into a beautiful harmony. This plus the creamy tang of mayo is honestly the most enjoyable flavor combo. You're just wrong here.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Rust Martialis posted:

Scandinavians can play too - Danish "Russian Salad"

2-3 cooked beets
3-4 pickled cucumbers
1 apple
1 small red onion
2 tbsp. capers
3-4 cooked potatoes
2 tbsp. grated horseradish
ca. 3-4 dl mayonnaise
ca. 1 dl creme fraiche

I would not eat this abomination

Served on a bed of grass, apparently

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m into the third kilogram of mandarin oranges over here, and have only had them and sandwiches since Christmas Day. Going to keep it like this until 31st, which is when I plan to make olivier and start planning return to sanity.

now THIS is a diet plan i can get behind (also, i need to get me some mandarins asap)

Rust Martialis posted:

Scandinavians can play too - Danish "Russian Salad"

2-3 cooked beets
3-4 pickled cucumbers
1 apple
1 small red onion
2 tbsp. capers
3-4 cooked potatoes
2 tbsp. grated horseradish
ca. 3-4 dl mayonnaise
ca. 1 dl creme fraiche

I would not eat this abomination

this looks like an unholy mix of olivier, vinegret and like half of dressed herring and i almost want to try it

(i don't really like beets (outside the dressed herring/борщ context at least), which probably means i fail some True Eastern Europeanness evaluation rating or something)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The other Memorial has also been struck under the “foreign agents” law.

https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-court-memorial-human-rights-center-ban-foreign-agent-law/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
what's the thread opinion on chlodnik? i have a childhood gag reflex whenever i see it that i've never been able to get over.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Gross

Oh poo poo, 35 new posts, did someone get invaded again?

Nope it's just disgusting salad chat :v:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 29, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rinkles posted:

what's the thread opinion on chlodnik? i have a childhood gag reflex whenever i see it that i've never been able to get over.

At least me and nurmie enjoy eating it, all the dresses herring cultists are likely to enjoy it as well.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I used to hate chłodnik, but find it very agreeable these days. My theory is today’s chłornik is made with much better ingredients then in the old days, when it was a bar mleczny staple.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rinkles posted:

It's extremely good. The best soup for hot summer days.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Are there foreigners living in Russia itt? Are you seriously gonna have to get a chest x ray and syphilis test for your 7 year old child by April or lose your residence permit? Are they so decoupled from reality to actually go through with this poo poo?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Gross

Oh poo poo, 35 new posts, did someone get invaded again?

Nope it's just disgusting salad chat :v:

i'll have you know that within the majestic lands of Eastern Europe, how disgusting a salad can get directly correlates with how Good it is

(honestly, i think there should be another salad-related word in English to differenciate the, uh, traditionally-salady salads from heavier, punchier offerings such as olivier or various potato salads and coleslaws)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
My favourite salad right now is made of Putin's pomposity, Russia's post-Soviet revanchism and western indecision.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Nenonen posted:

My favourite salad right now is made of Putin's pomposity, Russia's post-Soviet revanchism and western indecision.

Oh the West has made a decision. It's just not one of those say out loud positions.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

a podcast for cats posted:

An Eastern Europe thresd with these salad descriptions wouldn't last an hour in GBS. They take perceived food blandness very seriously there.

They can have all the disgusting greasy slop they post there and call food, I'll keep the humble beet

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

Definitely one of the upper tier soups

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

catfry posted:

Served on a bed of grass, apparently

That’s the greens.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

a podcast for cats posted:

i'd like to watch an average GBS food connoisseur try and tackle foods spiced with authentically-nuclear EE horseradish

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nurmie posted:

i'd like to watch an average GBS food connoisseur try and tackle foods spiced with authentically-nuclear EE horseradish

To be honest, horseradish is not that nuclear - both in general, and because the heat compound in it evaporates and is water-soluble. Postmodernist American food junkies eat all the stupid peppers that cause hallucinations and whatnot - and in general, having access to authentic Mexican food, even something as simple as pico de gallo, would make our generic dishes with horseradish or adjika a non-issue.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 29, 2021

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
watching a Kazakh dude nearly die of a moderately spicy chelada is one of my more amusing memories

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

They can have all the disgusting greasy slop they post there and call food, I'll keep the humble beet

No one gives respect to the nutritious vinegret

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are any japanese salads popular in Russia?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

nurmie posted:

coleslaws

The most famous and delicious of the slawic kings, Good King Coleslaw (or Cleslaw in the original Czech)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tsar Bomba test really did a number on the country

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Every Christmas I make a trad Swedish-Finnish herring "salad" that somewhat resembles what has been discussed before:

2 filets of matjes brined herring (the good stuff, don't buy store brand for this)
1/2 tart apple
1/2 red onion
1-2 dl smetana
A bunch of chopped fresh dill

Cut the fish into bite-sized slices. Chop everything else into small pieces. Combine in a bowl, put in a mason jar, let sit in fridge overnight, serve with/on dark bread or just stuff it in your hungry maw from the jar like the Christian God intended.

I usually get to have the entire thing to myself and I honestly prefer it that way. :coolfish:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

More on topic: us sturdy people of the bogs have also cursed the world with what we call an "Italian salad":

Start with something that resembles ham, cubed. Add the usual frozen mix of peas, carrots, corn, and bell peppers. Add boiled crushed spaghetti or any pasta of your choice, drown everything in mayo. It's a classic for a reason. :allears:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd eat it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
eh, I've had much worse

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It's also a thing in Iran. Gets called either 'persian chicken salad' or just salat olivier

p much the classic dish: based on grilled or boiled chicken, potatos, pickled cucumbers, mayonnaise, lemon juice, usually has eggs

i actually prefer the iranian version to russian/ukranian versions even though they really are pretty drat similar

barbecue at the folks posted:

More on topic: us sturdy people of the bogs have also cursed the world with what we call an "Italian salad":

Start with something that resembles ham, cubed. Add the usual frozen mix of peas, carrots, corn, and bell peppers. Add boiled crushed spaghetti or any pasta of your choice, drown everything in mayo. It's a classic for a reason. :allears:

i will never understand why mayo salad recipes across the board don't just cut the mayo by 50-75%. I feel like that would improve nearly all of them. Especially midwestern american mayo salads and russian mayo, well, everything

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 29, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

greyjoy ima need a probation with this image, tyvm

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

greyjoy ima need a probation with this image, tyvm

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

barbecue at the folks posted:

Every Christmas I make a trad Swedish-Finnish herring "salad" that somewhat resembles what has been discussed before:

2 filets of matjes brined herring (the good stuff, don't buy store brand for this)
1/2 tart apple
1/2 red onion
1-2 dl smetana
A bunch of chopped fresh dill

Cut the fish into bite-sized slices. Chop everything else into small pieces. Combine in a bowl, put in a mason jar, let sit in fridge overnight, serve with/on dark bread or just stuff it in your hungry maw from the jar like the Christian God intended.

I usually get to have the entire thing to myself and I honestly prefer it that way. :coolfish:

:same: for xmas in Australia but with Estonian rosolje: fine chopped beet, potato, matjes herring, apple, egg maybe some onion with a mayonnaise and mustard dressing. Best post xmas leftovers with the ham = delicious hot pink mess for days.

Horror show Estonian food for me is sült, nasty jellied cat food drenched in vinegar...

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i will never understand why mayo salad recipes across the board don't just cut the mayo by 50-75%. I feel like that would improve nearly all of them. Especially midwestern american mayo salads and russian mayo, well, everything

I ran short on mayo this year and yep it was just fine.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 30, 2021

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

clusterfuck posted:

Horror show Estonian food for me is sült, nasty jellied cat food drenched in vinegar...

Meat jelly is pretty delicious though?
And it's quite universal food, unless they do something really horrific to it in Estonia.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

adhuin posted:

Meat jelly is pretty delicious though?
And it's quite universal food, unless they do something really horrific to it in Estonia.

Nah, it's good, we don't do anything to it. I do agree that it doesn't look particularly appetizing, but it tastes great with some mustard (or horseradish if you're into that) on top.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
russia once again finding new and creative ways to be a pain in the rear end to foreigners, requiring that anyone in the country more than 90 days go two hours outside Moscow to get checked for diseases and drugs, possibly every three months!

https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1476469098754326531

not sure if there are broader exemptions than listed, but if not i imagine this system will have a great time coping with all the central asian migrant workers

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Next up on Danish 'Salads"

Italiensk Salat

200 g carrots
Canola/rapeseed oil
200 g Fine peas, deep frozen
1 Shallot
1 dl. Plain yoghurt or skyr
1 dl. Creme fraiche
2 tbsp. Mayonnaise
1 Lemon
1 bundle parsley
Salt
Pepper

Serve on buttered dark rye bread and thin sliced ham.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rust Martialis posted:

Next up on Danish 'Salads"

Italiensk Salat

200 g carrots
Canola/rapeseed oil
200 g Fine peas, deep frozen
1 Shallot
1 dl. Plain yoghurt or skyr
1 dl. Creme fraiche
2 tbsp. Mayonnaise
1 Lemon
1 bundle parsley
Salt
Pepper

Serve on buttered dark rye bread and thin sliced ham.

That's just standard Central European Fleischsalat / Wälscher Salat/ Vlašský salát - "Wälscher" / "vlašský" being an archaic term for "Italian")

Which has an interesting history, it started in 19th century as a salad influenced by Austrian imports from their Italian holdings, but as the Habsburg monarchy fell apart, Italian / Mediterranean goods became less readily available (and also there were now often duties levied on them) and so the original Italian salad with anchovies, sea eels, capers etc. degenerated into basically just salad Olivier. Germans sometimes add boiled beef to it in lieu of the original fish and call it Fleischsalat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

russia once again finding new and creative ways to be a pain in the rear end to foreigners, requiring that anyone in the country more than 90 days go two hours outside Moscow to get checked for diseases and drugs, possibly every three months!

https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1476469098754326531

not sure if there are broader exemptions than listed, but if not i imagine this system will have a great time coping with all the central asian migrant workers

:stare:

Taking the dirty foreigner thing to a new level

In some funnier news, a few days ago this photo from Ukraine's deputy minister of education on a visit to Lviv dropped. He's on the left next to his assistant.

That's certainly an interesting choice of business attire.

And by that I mean the fit of the men's suits of course :v:
He's on the left and that's his assistant, supposedly.