Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the main trick to getting 9 gcd under no mercy is, if you aren't already, make sure that you're doing no mercy as late into its ogcd window as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

EX1 is kinda trivial to heal unless you're eating one mechanic each rotation and stacking up the dmg ups or something. Most mechanics just outright kill you if you screw up. The "big" AoEs don't even break shields with two healers in the 570s.

EX2 is a bit more involved, especially the add phase. Theres still nothing like an aoe burst phase that you'd see in a savage

When I did EX1 it felt like the later, stronger casts of the superstack were obliterating us and I basically had to kitchen sink every single one of them, but I guess that's the difference 10 ilvls and a few spread-out vuln stacks make. My friend showed me our clear parse later and I had about 150% of my cohealer's total healing though. I watched a friend farm it later and their HP never dipped below overshield% which made me a little mad lol

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

TGLT posted:

I haven't healed as an astro in EW yet, but I found healing as Astro in normal dungeons and trials easier due to the plethora of panic buttons. Probably even easier now that Giant Star is loving huge so you can pretty consistently have that ready to go when you need it. I think White Mage is very similar? But I'm only up to 51 on WM so I can't comment on that class.

Scholar's just a particular kind of fiddly.

Scholar just doesn’t quite have an obvious immediate super heals that the other healers get, their big heals are generally just 2 or 3 step process with emergency tactics or deploying crit adlos. You get to feel cool if you preemptively pull it off, but it’s not as fast and intuitive as sage is with throwing up instant panhaima. Also your fairy’s positioning can be a bit fiddly since fairy won’t do anything if it’s constantly moving, so usually placing it center arena beforehand is usually better than having it just follow you for more consistent heals.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thundarr posted:

My only complaint with Sage is that when I use it in PvP I'm constantly out of MP and I'm not sure what the best way is to avoid that.

Don't focus so much on group healing. Diag is free, Druochole is on a 10 second CD, and Haima is busted please no nerf yoshi-p is on a 30 second CD and I have no idea who approved THAT but hey.

In PVP I find one DPS who looks competent and pocket that mofo with all I've got. It has great results when I pick the right ones (usually Ninjas).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Chillgamesh posted:

When I did EX1 it felt like the later, stronger casts of the superstack were obliterating us and I basically had to kitchen sink every single one of them, but I guess that's the difference 10 ilvls and a few spread-out vuln stacks make. My friend showed me our clear parse later and I had about 150% of my cohealer's total healing though. I watched a friend farm it later and their HP never dipped below overshield% which made me a little mad lol

They also do last longer each time I’m pretty sure. An additional beam or two is added every few uses.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lord_Magmar posted:

They also do last longer each time I’m pretty sure. An additional beam or two is added every few uses.

Correct. First one's 7, then 8, then 9 and 9 for the last two.

Proper deployment time of Panhaima helps enormously. Honestly, Scholar is the only healer that *doesn't* have something that laughs at that mechanic (SGE has Panhaima, WHM has Littany, AST has Macrocosmos), but you won't two-SCH a fight so there you go. :v:

E: That said I will say my easiest EX1 fights have been SGE/SCH exclusively on the back of Expedient.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Allarion posted:

Scholar just doesn’t quite have an obvious immediate super heals that the other healers get, their big heals are generally just 2 or 3 step process with emergency tactics or deploying crit adlos. You get to feel cool if you preemptively pull it off, but it’s not as fast and intuitive as sage is with throwing up instant panhaima. Also your fairy’s positioning can be a bit fiddly since fairy won’t do anything if it’s constantly moving, so usually placing it center arena beforehand is usually better than having it just follow you for more consistent heals.

Fey Union is at least a very nice way to ignore some one for a bit, but yeah nothing Scholars can do is as simple as haima-ing your problems away.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Only way I know is lalachievements, put in your cards, and start looking for guys who have cards you don't yet. That'll narrow it down some as you check them.

the downside to this (as i am also running into this issue this week), is sites like this and arrtripletriad are only good at knowing if you have all a NPCs unique cards or not. there's no option for them to suggest "you have all this NPC's cards, but also the cards they have drop elsewhere from a dungeon or boosters. it's possible you haven't beaten this NPC yet."

i have to go through the list of cards i have and reference if they have multiple drop sources or not, then verify in game if i've beaten the npc. kind of a slow/tedious process. i'm currently doing ixal dailies because i got the tozol card through xelphatol :smith:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Proper deployment time of Panhaima helps enormously. Honestly, Scholar is the only healer that *doesn't* have something that laughs at that mechanic (SGE has Panhaima, WHM has Littany, AST has Macrocosmos), but you won't two-SCH a fight so there you go. :v:

E: That said I will say my easiest EX1 fights have been SGE/SCH exclusively on the back of Expedient.

I've done a SCH/SCH ex1 thanks to DF matching shenanigans on JP DCs. It wasn't too bad, just helped slap out a cooldown or two every multi-stack and we were good.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

WrightOfWay posted:

Food and pots are minor, but noticeable. You'll need them if you want to absolutely maximize your parse but you can get high purple without them.

It is technically possible to get 9 GCD No Mercy with a GCD as high as 2.47, but it's very tight, especially if you have high ping since GNB can't really get away with single weaving. The highest ilvl gear right now doesn't have much skill speed so it's not a bad idea to meld some. I used 2.41 in ShB and it's pretty comfy but anything below 2.45 or so is pretty playable in my experience.

I asked around on the balance discord and the problem was that i have 170 ping so i was clipping 0.6s over the duration of the burst window from double weaving. I had to install some program that modifies your animation lock to account for your ping and it works fine now.

Seems like a perfectly normal thing to have to do to be able to play a class as designed.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The thing that sucks about Macrocosmos is that if your DPS players have weakness/brink from you having to scrape them off the floor repeatedly its healing power is somewhat diminished :dawkins101:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

I've done a SCH/SCH ex1 thanks to DF matching shenanigans on JP DCs. It wasn't too bad, just helped slap out a cooldown or two every multi-stack and we were good.

Huh, fair enough, lol.

But yeah as a Sage I feel like a powerful compliment to any healing partner and that's a good feeling. :) With a Scholar I can compensate for their lack of spike throughput; with a White Mage, I can buffer for them to help their sustain go further; with an Astrologian I cover the gaps between their various "all according to keikaku" cooldowns.

sage good :D

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Kyrosiris posted:

As a non-healer, the bigger problem in fight early on seemed to be Phobos. The bleed is a killer. I definitely didn't forget to use Tactician/Troubadour/Shield Samba for it multiple times as a ranged physical player, definitely not

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Kaubocks posted:

the downside to this (as i am also running into this issue this week), is sites like this and arrtripletriad are only good at knowing if you have all a NPCs unique cards or not. there's no option for them to suggest "you have all this NPC's cards, but also the cards they have drop elsewhere from a dungeon or boosters. it's possible you haven't beaten this NPC yet."

i have to go through the list of cards i have and reference if they have multiple drop sources or not, then verify in game if i've beaten the npc. kind of a slow/tedious process. i'm currently doing ixal dailies because i got the tozol card through xelphatol :smith:

https://triad.raelys.com
This site (which is probably the best triple triad tracker in my experience) has a function which specifically checks off NPCs if you have any cards that are exclusive to that NPC, so you can use that to distinguish between NPCs that you've definitely beaten and those who you have cards for but might not have.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

iPodschun posted:

As a non-healer, the bigger problem in fight early on seemed to be Phobos. The bleed is a killer. I definitely didn't forget to use Tactician/Troubadour/Shield Samba for it multiple times as a ranged physical player, definitely not

Yeah, Phobos is mean as gently caress. Luckily Sage blunts Styx so hard that I tell my healing partners to exclusively focus CDs on those. Both Macrocosmos and Littany are just as good at telling the bleed to get bent as they are the akh morns.

E: vvv yeah I try to run Kerachole and Holos into it at minimum

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 30, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I always made sure to Sacred Soil or Expedient Phobos because it loving sucks if I don't.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i really enjoy getting purple and orange parses for healing. as reaper.

arcane crest is so fuckin good

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

Huh, fair enough, lol.

But yeah as a Sage I feel like a powerful compliment to any healing partner and that's a good feeling. :) With a Scholar I can compensate for their lack of spike throughput; with a White Mage, I can buffer for them to help their sustain go further; with an Astrologian I cover the gaps between their various "all according to keikaku" cooldowns.

sage good :D

I've healed a bunch of Panda on SCH and the last few floors I did I was having to hit waaaay more healing buttons than ever before. It took me a while to realize it was the first time I was paired with a WHM instead of a SGE.

More Sages, please.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

Don't focus so much on group healing. Diag is free, Druochole is on a 10 second CD, and Haima is busted please no nerf yoshi-p is on a 30 second CD and I have no idea who approved THAT but hey.

In PVP I find one DPS who looks competent and pocket that mofo with all I've got. It has great results when I pick the right ones (usually Ninjas).

You think I heal the group. :smuggo:

Mostly I toss out an E.Prognosis or Druchole or Purify in the middle of a brawl and then go back to firing instant lasers because they actually do meaningful damage and the targets frequently seem weirded out by the slow effect. Repose > Icarus > Pneuma > Phlegma is also a really funny way to murder stragglers.

And yes I Kardia myself because I have real trouble keeping track of one ally in a field of 71 other people, and it makes me that much more annoying to kill while I'm shooting lasers.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Haima is busted please no nerf yoshi-p is on a 30 second CD

Haima has a 120 second CD.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ActionZero posted:

https://triad.raelys.com
This site (which is probably the best triple triad tracker in my experience) has a function which specifically checks off NPCs if you have any cards that are exclusive to that NPC, so you can use that to distinguish between NPCs that you've definitely beaten and those who you have cards for but might not have.

thank you and god bless, this narrows down the hunt considerably

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hommando posted:

Haima has a 120 second CD.

In pvp it's on a 30 second cd.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

SettingSun posted:

In pvp it's on a 30 second cd.

My b.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Hit 90 on MNK and hot drat nu MNK kicks rear end.

as a historical monk non-liker, 90 monk is probably my favorite dps job at the moment and i'm kind of impressed. granted, some of that, i think, is it's arguably still Kind Of poo poo™. it's just not nearly as polished as jobs these days tend to be, and i love it.

like, from the outset, you'd think "we've added a blitz system" would be a more substantial change to the gameplay than it currently is. but it's kind of not? it kind of feels like the monk changelist was:
- positionals
+ a goal
monk still kind of has largely the same plate spinning and wacky combo system that it used to have, but now you actually have something you're building towards, and that kind of rules.

it has a lot of "invisible punishment". a less experienced player is going to drop twin snakes or demolish and go oops and then just quickly reapply it and move on with their day. they'll triple snap punch for elixir field without realizing they should alternate boot/dk instead. they might drift some perfect balance and not line up their buffs with anything major, but unlike when greased lightning used to be a hard failure state, you just continue on without really noticing much. it's up to the player to dig in and work around the jank (perfect balance is 40 sec cd lmao what a wack rear end timer) to push the class harder, and there's a lot of room to play in that space.

i'm having a great time with it.

EDIT: monk still has loving anatman for god's sake what's not to love

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 30, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really excited to level Monk. Melee DPS is the role I have by far the least experience with--despite maining tank I just haven't really clicked with any of the non-tank melee jobs yet--but new Monk just looks really cool, and looks like something I can probably wrap my head around fairly easily.

Reaper, on the other hand... I dunno. I'm not 80 yet so I don't yet have Enshroud, so maybe my opinion will change once I get it. For now, though, it's not really clicking like I'd hoped. I don't really like the rhythm of using the avatar oGCDs to proc different positional GCDs, I think? Though Gluttony giving you two stacks does make that feel a little better. I also don't really like Death's Design, partially because maintenance debuffs like that feel kinda like they're just there to arbitrarily give you another thing to think about without actually adding any real complexity, and partially because using a GCD to refresh it just doesn't feel good to me. If it was an oGCD I don't think I'd mind nearly as much. But I recognize I'm the weird one here and most people seem to really like Reaper.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

enshroud is a really big game changer for reaper. it's so fun its a crime that you don't get it earlier.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Harrow posted:

I'm really excited to level Monk. Melee DPS is the role I have by far the least experience with--despite maining tank I just haven't really clicked with any of the non-tank melee jobs yet--but new Monk just looks really cool, and looks like something I can probably wrap my head around fairly easily.

Reaper, on the other hand... I dunno. I'm not 80 yet so I don't yet have Enshroud, so maybe my opinion will change once I get it. For now, though, it's not really clicking like I'd hoped. I don't really like the rhythm of using the avatar oGCDs to proc different positional GCDs, I think? Though Gluttony giving you two stacks does make that feel a little better. I also don't really like Death's Design, partially because maintenance debuffs like that feel kinda like they're just there to arbitrarily give you another thing to think about without actually adding any real complexity, and partially because using a GCD to refresh it just doesn't feel good to me. If it was an oGCD I don't think I'd mind nearly as much. But I recognize I'm the weird one here and most people seem to really like Reaper.

Re-upping death’s design tends to keep getting me, too. If they sprinkled in some refreshes on other skill(s), it could be a more interesting mechanic. As it is, just feels like a chore on a class that otherwise feels pretty great.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Enshroud really does make a big difference.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

HackensackBackpack posted:

I believe Endwalker has the record for Most Fist Clenching in Cutscenes out of every expansion so far. A lot of people are clenching their fists in this one.

Also slow walk. God, they really need to have new slow walk animations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

Hit 90 on MNK and hot drat nu MNK kicks rear end.

Yeah, the monk and bard changes have turned both from my two least favourite jobs in the entire game to my two favourites for their archetypes. I feel for people who mained them before and miss the jank, but they feel so much better to play now (for me).

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I mained bard back in ARR days of yore. I'm afraid it might become my main again.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Firebert posted:

Yeah, the monk and bard changes have turned both from my two least favourite jobs in the entire game to my two favourites for their archetypes. I feel for people who mained them before and miss the jank, but they feel so much better to play now (for me).

Monk still feels a bit jank to me in a way that you can still see it improved in the next expansion relatively easily but it still feels very good and the damage is just right.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

HPanda posted:

Re-upping death’s design tends to keep getting me, too. If they sprinkled in some refreshes on other skill(s), it could be a more interesting mechanic. As it is, just feels like a chore on a class that otherwise feels pretty great.

I still love my macro and am not losing any dps from it.

code:
/micon "Shadow of Death"
/ac "Shadow of Death" <t>
/wait 25
/e <se.1> press the butan

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

CJ posted:

I'm getting the hang of Gunbreaker, finally got to purple. How much of a difference does using food/pots make? Do people use them for farming easy bosses like this? It probably also doesn't help that i'm the designated stand at range guy so i'm wasting a bunch of GCDs on Lightning Shot.

When i put the log into that analysis site it's yelling at me for only doing 8 GCDs per No Mercy window. Am i meant to stack skill speed for that? I can't mash the GCD any faster.

For EX2, even though people say group 1 near, group 2 far, a 5-3 split with both tanks up front and only 3 people in the back stack is easily survivable. There's no AoE damage beforehand so the healers can easily top everyone off to survive. And if you get Parhelion first, Heart of Light will be back in time for the big stack marker too so you can use that too.

Purple is plenty good and getting into orange will probably require some combination of intentionally eating mechanics for uptime (since as a tank you can easily survive one or two vuln stacks), padding during the add phase, and ending the fight specifically during a burst window.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Got the music from Panda4 last night and spent 30 mins figuring out which song I was gonna switch out (Ended up subbing Triumph)

20 track orchestrion when, Yoshi-P?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Stalins Moustache posted:

Also slow walk. God, they really need to have new slow walk animations.

so much so that I thought it was a new animation for EW but then I saw it in the ARR BTN quests

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
can someone who plays on controller please screenshot your crafter hotbars for me? I'm on a new setup and forgot to sync my configuration, and also don't remember anything about crafting or how my hotbars were ever set up

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I could but it's incredibly cursed after multiple rounds of skill changes and removals. It's a cobbled together mess but it's my mess

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

hazardousmouse posted:

I could but it's incredibly cursed after multiple rounds of skill changes and removals. It's a cobbled together mess but it's my mess

Some of my skillbars are all organized and sensible. Others, including crafter, are "it's a mess but I know where everything is and if I move them I'll forget."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just have my crafter bars set up in the order I learned everything in