Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do we know anything about Triangle Strategy's character building/job system yet? It didn't look like it would have an FFT-style job system (given how much each character's combat style was tailored to the character in the demo) so I'm assuming it's going to be more of a Fire Emblem-style promoted class/maybe branching promotions thing.

Looking forward to it either way, the demo was really promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

For my Final Fantasy strategy kick I have taken to playing Pathfinder:Kingmaker/Wrath of the Righteous and using final fantasy artwork (along with mods to dress my dudes up).

Final fantasy itself is a weird bastardization of DnD so it only makes sense you can shove a red mage into a DnD game.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

That was how the original SNES version worked by default afaik

This isn't true, and if it were, Tactics Ogre would have been way harder than it already is. The guest character AI in that game wishes for death, and enemies are very happy to oblige.

Of course, there are dozens of ways to break the game, but they tend to come in the late mid-game.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Good news for people who want to scratch their tactical RPG itch but find FFT boring: Triangle Strategy is coming out March 4th and it’s basically FFT meets Octopath Traveler with branching stories based on moral choices. Hopefully it will have a lot of replay value, I liked the demo but it needed some serious polish.

If the story can scratch that same itch it'll be amazing.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Gafgarion fucks

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ror posted:

Gafgarion fucks

he's dead now

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

miluda did nothing wrong

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I don't know what's going on, but it's in the contract!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Ramza wears buttpants unironically. He orders milk at a bar and is probably asexual since after Zalbag dies he's all "Welp so much for heirs for the Beoulve family".

Ramza owns as a protag because he's a massive dork like half the other FF protags.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ror posted:

Gafgarion fucks
I think he Gaffs instead.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Randallteal posted:

The only thing that needs to be changed in FFT is making everything happen faster. Just add a 2x speed switch (and autobattle AI for cleaning up random encounters quicker).

I'd settle for fixing the rendering slowdown issue.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

the SaltIron war...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wait they are actually releasing Triangle Strategy with that name?

Man. And I thought 'Octopath Traveler' was on the nose.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That team is not very good at names.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk I like those names

I'd take Triangle Strategy over Saltiron Chronicles or w/e

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I hope at the end of the game there's a big thematic scene where the protagonists form a three-pronged assault or something to close on the enemies for the final battle and declare it shall be called OPERATION: TRIANGLE STRATEGY

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Chillgamesh posted:

miluda did nothing wrong

Is this even controversial?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

iTrust posted:

This was basically, word for word, me earlier this year.

Final Fantasy XV is one of the best games I played in 2021 and I'm really glad I went back to it so I definitely recommend doing so. It surprised me, how much I ended up enjoying it when my initial impression of a game I finished was a game I couldn't remember anything about.

Windows edition does have a couple of things very wrong with it though.

First, Summons are gonna gently caress the game.

I'm talking about Framerate dropping to single digits and then the game just locking up entirely. This happens basically every time you Summon something; it's super fun when you absolutely have to because the story requires it!

I wasn't ever able to find a way to fix it, unfortunately. It wasn't something that stopped me playing the game through to completion - usually Saving and Restarting as soon as the battle concluded was enough to bypass any major problems.

Also, although I don't have definite proof of this and it could well just be me, I'm convinced that there's a serious memory leak with the game as well. You may want to restart your machine after playing it. The same thing happens with the X/X-2 Remaster, as it goes.

But yeah, the above issues aside, FFXV is great. Play it.

I forgot the name of it but there's a mod that fixes all the engine bullshit and crashes and was mandatory for me to be able to get the game to run at all, so, yeah. I'm sure the thread can deliver

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The one bit of entertainment I got out of FF15 was the game managing to delete files relating Prompto, which removed him from existence but otherwise continued to run fine, so he was just exiled to the WD Gaster zone until I realised it wasn't just a weird story beat and did a game file verification scan

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No Dignity posted:

The one bit of entertainment I got out of FF15 was the game managing to delete files relating Prompto, which removed him from existence but otherwise continued to run fine, so he was just exiled to the WD Gaster zone until I realised it wasn't just a weird story beat and did a game file verification scan
:lol:

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I bounced off of Octopath Traveler really hard, so I hope Triangle Strategy is more interesting. Something about Octopath was just so bland, but I'm not sure I can even pinpoint what it was.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ethiser posted:

If Stranger of Paradise leads to me getting a FFIII Warriors of Dark prequel I’m here for it.

FFXIV Shadowbringers is the prequel.

zenguitarman posted:

FFs being set in some post-golden age apocalypse are actually super cool.

It is literally the most common trope in Fantasy settings.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Switched.on posted:

I bounced off of Octopath Traveler really hard, so I hope Triangle Strategy is more interesting. Something about Octopath was just so bland, but I'm not sure I can even pinpoint what it was.

The main problem with Octopath is that the difficulty curve is entirely out of whack. Octo is fun when you're really working in the battle system and completing your first story or two can be interesting... but then your group starts outscaling the content even if you liberally swap in and out characters, and if you're clearing all stories, you still have six more to go... repeat for four chapters, and then there's the massive gulf of content between the stuff that opens up right after you clear your first final story and the True Final Dungeon where you generally outscale all of the former very quickly but likely need another five-ten hours of grinding for the latter do be doable without a walkthrough or having found some very specific abuse.

Also yadda yadds mileage may vary on individual character arcs blah blah main stories don't intersect except for in the finale so it really just feels like you're playing eight separate short games in the same engine and it's a good engine but not good enough to carry that kind of weight.

I cant say I have terribly high hopes for Triangle Strategy after the demo and Octopath, but who knows, maybe the team'll show some better design sense on this one because the framework for Octo was solid, it's just they made a lot of bad decisions on what to do with it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am quite interested in Triangle Strategy. I am glad it looks to have one big overarching story.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNT8SMlqLJA

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Harrow posted:

Do we know anything about Triangle Strategy's character building/job system yet? It didn't look like it would have an FFT-style job system (given how much each character's combat style was tailored to the character in the demo) so I'm assuming it's going to be more of a Fire Emblem-style promoted class/maybe branching promotions thing.

Looking forward to it either way, the demo was really promising.

They haven’t said much but I agree with you that it appears to be more akin to Fire Emblem. I could also see it being similar to Octopath where every character has a fixed base class but can also have a secondary class. I think that was how it worked in Octopath, I’m having a hard time remembering.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They haven’t said much but I agree with you that it appears to be more akin to Fire Emblem. I could also see it being similar to Octopath where every character has a fixed base class but can also have a secondary class. I think that was how it worked in Octopath, I’m having a hard time remembering.

Yeah, that's how it worked in Octopath. That would be pretty cool, too. Though I do love branching promotion systems so I'm kinda hoping for something like that.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That team is not very good at names.

they're not very good at games either

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked the TS demo well enough so i'm willing to give them a chance.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I did some googling and there's at least a couple rebalance mods for Octopath Traveler. I think I'm going to see if they'll work with the PC Game Pass version of the game now that they install like normal games

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I'd give Octopath another shot with some mods, namely one that either levels up party members that aren't in your party automatically or rebalances the game so that it's easier or quicker to level them up. But I mean aside from that the game was kind bad. Forgettable characters that didn't really interact in a one note story. makes ff6 look like war and peace.

also on the topic of epic FFT moments yall have covered most of them but I always remembered the moment you run into Olan and defend him from those hooligans. This one track plays during that battle that is just the best in the game that I remember note for note after all these years and as far as I know doesn't play anywhere else. And when he casts his time stop spell for the first time it's nuts.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Astrochicken posted:

also on the topic of epic FFT moments yall have covered most of them but I always remembered the moment you run into Olan and defend him from those hooligans. This one track plays during that battle that is just the best in the game that I remember note for note after all these years and as far as I know doesn't play anywhere else. And when he casts his time stop spell for the first time it's nuts.

That reminds me of something.

quote:

(1:57:20 AM) Spyda K: So...FFT is being told by Olan's descendent, Alazlam Durai, who found Olan's hidden papers documenting the true events of the Lion War.
(1:58:22 AM) Spyda K: Boy, isn't it funny that when Alazlam talks about how Ramza first met his ancestor, Olan just kinda overpowers all the bad guys and is the coolest person on the battlefield?
(1:58:34 AM) Pitchyfork: HAH!
(1:58:37 AM) Pitchyfork: stealing that.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

HOLY poo poo i don't know how I never realized that. Incredible.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I did some googling and there's at least a couple rebalance mods for Octopath Traveler. I think I'm going to see if they'll work with the PC Game Pass version of the game now that they install like normal games

I just tried the 100% steal/allure etc chance mod and it worked fine. Install the game somewhere, drop the PAK from the mod into \FrigateMS\Content\Octopath_Traveler\Content\Paks\ and you're good to go.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vichan posted:

That reminds me of something.

Also his uncle is a huge badass with an awesome sword.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh yeah TG Cid is related to Olan, no wonder he’s the most powerful dude in the game, lol. And also how he conveniently doesn’t actually die in shame as history claims but instead goes off to save the world.

Dudes writing fan fiction about history lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Isn’t that just…history? :smug:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I assume Cid really was that legit cause he’s a sword saint/holy swordsman/kensei guy which in the context of a fantasy world with wizards and weeaboo sword wizards probably means “huge shitwrecker”.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I got a PS5 for my birthday and I decided that my first game would be FF7R InterMission. I'm really enjoying this so far. They nailed Yuffie as a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

TG Cid completely wrecks the balance of the game and he owns