Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Haha videogame music, I wouldn't be caught dead listeni--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJRoRt155mA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Cartoon Man posted:

https://kotaku.com/poll-here-are-japans-top-100-video-games-of-all-time-1848275437

A Japanese TV show polled 50,000 Japanese and came up with a top 100 videogame list of all time.

Skyward Sword - 88
Majora’s Mask - 80
Legend of Zelda (the first game) - 52
Ocarina of Time - 17
BOTW - number 1

Can’t believe Wind Waker failed to make this list but Skyward Sword did…

It's a good game Brent.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Man Hyrule Castle is so cool in BOTW. the minecart entrance is the first way in that I tried and I was genuinely excited.

All of the DLC content I've played since defeating the divine beasts has been really fun and challenging too.

Can't wait for the next one.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bust Rodd posted:

Video game music is totally different from regular music, it’s designed with different goals in mind and uses way different rules about time signatures, melody, themes, etc.

When a video game composer sits down to write a battle theme with 5 different parts that will be programmed to use different instruments and time signatures depending on your characters score or the phase of a boss fight, without knowing how long it might take someone to cut the dragons wings off or something, that is entirely different skill set then Taylor Swift writing a 3 minute pop song that has no variation and is always consumed the same way.

I understand the message you’re trying to convey but video game music isn’t just “music” for the same reason movies aren’t just “TV” or that books aren’t just “plays”

Cues and dynamics are not a new thing in music, nor is the intention when writing music. Most video game music doesn't do dynamic transitions and that was more of a thing back when you didn't have CD audio and controlled it all with MIDI and whatnot. Now most games just go do a different part of the score when the phase of the boss changes.

Writing music is just music, it doesn't matter how it's experienced or if it's dynamic and changes randomly.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

music is good

and also cool

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
If we’re talking game music Banjo-Kazooie blew my mind with how it shifted styles depending on where you were in a level. Hyrule castle does the same thing with inside/outside, but some of those levels had maybe five or six styles per level.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

check out [b]nier: automata [/b sometime.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I hope Nintendo doesn't completely abandon the feel/gameplay of older Zeldas. I didn't like BotW :(

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I would kill for another good 2D Zelda.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

I would kill for another good 2D Zelda.

Going to assume you mean like Zelda 2, in which case I wholeheartedly agree.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I'd say it's pretty unlikely that they'll make another 3D Zelda with the old structure. Open-world and not linear is what Zelda means now.

A traditional top-down Zelda could always happen however.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I very much doubt that the Zelda series has been reinvented for the last time. Breath of the Wild does, however, proceed naturally from the gameplay quality that most strongly distinguishes Zelda games from other action-adventure games where you go into dungeons and get items to solve puzzles with: the detailed and varied interactions between the player's tools and elements of the environment.

They're only gonna do a new 2D one once they come up with a strong enough gimmick for it, though.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Bongo Bill posted:

They're only gonna do a new 2D one once they come up with a strong enough gimmick for it, though.

I feel like you don't really need a gimmick. Links awakening basically doesn't, and it's great. A link between worlds has the "rent items" and "go flat" gimmick, and the oracle games have their stuff, but I think they're fun games despite rather than because of it? The dungeons, puzzles and fun characters is what makes the game to me, and most of them involve items and solutions that aren't the gimmick. If they just made a brand new game in a brand new world in the albw or awakening engine, with items and dungeons etc, but no KILLER FEATURE, I'm pretty sure that would go over great!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

superjew posted:

If we’re talking game music Banjo-Kazooie blew my mind with how it shifted styles depending on where you were in a level. Hyrule castle does the same thing with inside/outside, but some of those levels had maybe five or six styles per level.

Kirkhope loved doing this and did it perfectly, the way you different arrangements and variations on theme for nearly every area for a level was amazing. He lamented about not really being able to do go that extent anymore in a podcast, because now that everything is scored by an orchestra it would just be extremely expensive and would bloat the hell out of the size of a title.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Phosphine posted:

I feel like you don't really need a gimmick. Links awakening basically doesn't, and it's great. A link between worlds has the "rent items" and "go flat" gimmick, and the oracle games have their stuff, but I think they're fun games despite rather than because of it? The dungeons, puzzles and fun characters is what makes the game to me, and most of them involve items and solutions that aren't the gimmick. If they just made a brand new game in a brand new world in the albw or awakening engine, with items and dungeons etc, but no KILLER FEATURE, I'm pretty sure that would go over great!

That's not really Nintendo's style, most of the time.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Winifred Madgers posted:

That's not really Nintendo's style, most of the time.

Yeah, the exact stated reason we haven't gotten a new F-Zero is that they don't want to just make another one, they want it to be "fresh" or something.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Actually why don't we just go back to MIDIs? Imagine a game that used Majora's mask level graphics and sound, but had modern AAA budgets. Absolutely insane amounts of handcrafted gameplay. Like the opposite of Oblivion and Skyrim where everything is basically copy pasted and empty.

Now I want Nintendo to do a lofi game as a full title.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Majora's mask is great and all but I do not want a new 100hour game that looks like that

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I was mainly using it as an example of something without super high fidelity graphics.

Like maybe Nintendo could see about making something small and compact like Undertale in terms of project scope? It's short and doesn't go crazy with the graphics.

Edit: like how long would it take Nintendo to make a game with a play length around the original Zelda's?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe if Nintendo branched out a new team and let them go hog wild, but their normal methods are very methodical.

They've always been more about quality than speed or quantity. Not that they've never had a bad game, but it doesn't seem to be in their nature.

A Zelda Maker would be nice, though...

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Maybe if Nintendo branched out a new team and let them go hog wild, but their normal methods are very methodical.

They've always been more about quality than speed or quantity. Not that they've never had a bad game, but it doesn't seem to be in their nature.

That actually is one thing I kinda didn't like about Breath of the wild: the chests and items all felt the same minus window dressing. I'd prefer the items be different in moveset within the weapon type. Also the chests containing weapons and rupees weren't that exciting. Would prefer grouping them together and having an interesting feature gating them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Bloop posted:

I've thought about this before, but the mini dungeon creator in the LA remake showed me how incredibly more difficult it is to think of interesting dungeon designs compared to Mario levels.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DanielCross posted:

Yeah, the exact stated reason we haven't gotten a new F-Zero is that they don't want to just make another one, they want it to be "fresh" or something.
This is openly bullshit though, and you only need to look at Nintendo's actual money printing series like NSMB to see that

What that actually means is that F-Zero never sold too well so if anyone at Nintendo wants to get clearance to start work on a new one they'll need to have a really convincing pitch for it to get the higher-ups on board.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Yeah, I feel like an HD/ 1080P/ 60FPS FZero is enough of a sell to pursue it. Shame that nobody really cares about the franchise though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've thought about this before, but the mini dungeon creator in the LA remake showed me how incredibly more difficult it is to think of interesting dungeon designs compared to Mario levels.

this is very true, and it would really require a ranking system of some kind but I can also see huge dungeons with cool gimmicks being thought up

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried it when they made the 2d version of botw in LoZ engine and they came to the same conclusion that it would mostly suck

(most mario maker levels suck too)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

As much as I like BotW's open world approach, I really hope they at least bring back proper-length, themed dungeons. The Divine Beasts just didn't even come close to scratching that itch. Hyrule Castle is basically the game's only proper dungeon and it owns.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I’m part of the problem here in that I never bothered to finish LA. I have the switch cart but just stop caring pretty early on because the whole thing feels like it’s on rails. Definitely wouldn’t buy another linear Zelda game. I really do like the puzzle solving and varied items part, but without an open world to explore I just lose interest.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly, if I had to pick one or the other, I'd go back to a full-on dungeon focused experience. There was so much to like in the open world, but I miss the focused progression through dungeons, that's central to what I like about the franchise. Having both would be the best, though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone says Hyrule Castle is like a typical Zelda dungeon but... no? Not even remotely? You can enter all over the place, go room to room however you want, beeline straight to the end or explore

It's like a distillation of BotW itself into it's purest most concentrated form, but I didn't get the traditional linear puzzle dungeon feel at all

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I liked that some parts of the castle are dead ends (but you still get something for crawling the whole path even though it doesn't get you to Ganon).

I also like that if you climb to the tippy top spire there's a korok seed up there. gently caress you Hestu.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao forever at anyone who didn't climb the tippy top spire just because

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
God I love big themed dungeons in Zelda, i want to spend hours puzzling and fighting through each one and be rewarded with a unique item that unlocks all sorts of new possibilities in the overworld

I like to daydream up ideas for dungeons that haven’t been done before, like a Japanese-style wooden castle being reclaimed by a forest, or going deeper and deeper into an icy mausoleum, or the inside of a giant dam with lots of sluice puzzles to drain a lake high up in some isolated mountains, or an evil swamp mansion with creepy voodoo stuff going on

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah I very much want them to just split Zelda into two and keep doing both BotW likes and traditional dungeon-style likes.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should’ve themed the shrines and the divine beast interiors differently based on region so they wouldn’t all be glowing blue. Might have helped with the repetition and add some flavor

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

BotW2 might try to polish up some aspects in response to the feedback they've gotten in the time since the first but given that it started as an expansion like Mario Galaxy 2 it's probably gonna be largely the same in fundamentals, so I wonder if it's gonna get meaningful backlash for that on top of the usual criticism iterative sequels get.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hatty posted:

They should’ve themed the shrines and the divine beast interiors differently based on region so they wouldn’t all be glowing blue. Might have helped with the repetition and add some flavor

That does seem like a pretty easy change that would have been worth the trouble, yeah

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Motto posted:

BotW2 might try to polish up some aspects in response to the feedback they've gotten in the time since the first but given that it started as an expansion like Mario Galaxy 2 it's probably gonna be largely the same in fundamentals, so I wonder if it's gonna get meaningful backlash for that on top of the usual criticism iterative sequels get.

I'd hope that it's at least a little more different than that comparison, since Galaxy 2 was released three years after Galaxy 1 and at this point BOTW2 will be out 5+ years after the first one

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Amppelix posted:

This is openly bullshit though, and you only need to look at Nintendo's actual money printing series like NSMB to see that

What that actually means is that F-Zero never sold too well so if anyone at Nintendo wants to get clearance to start work on a new one they'll need to have a really convincing pitch for it to get the higher-ups on board.

NSMB does have new gimmicks every game though:

NSMB DS: Big mushroom
NSMB Wii: Multiplayer that isn't you taking turns like in mario world
NSMB 2: Coins everywhere
NSMB U: Look, you can touch the screen to make platforms!

I'm not saying they're revolutionary or anything, but they follow the Nintendo idea of "sequel must have some new thing beyond just more levels"

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's clearly not in the spirit of what people mean when they say that though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I'd hope that it's at least a little more different than that comparison, since Galaxy 2 was released three years after Galaxy 1 and at this point BOTW2 will be out 5+ years after the first one

Well we are going to the sky and underworld so if it's BOTW with that I'll be ok with it personally since I fukkin love BOTW.