Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nooner posted:

i did a big fart and a bunch of diarrhea sprayed out in my pants does that mean i have covid :ohdear:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Damm man u coulda told me this before I ate all of ur diarrhea now I prob have COVID too smdh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

That's called "Martial Law" and would not be tolerated in the United States without some sort of declaration of war.

All of the things slorb posted were previously done at some point in Australia. Despite endless bickering over 'we can't be authoritarian china!!' these are things within reach of 'Western democracies'.

The USA, yeah, probably not, too culturally and politically dysfunctional.

I guess we might find out Australia is in the same position now but we'll see what the backlash is when more NPIs are reintroduced.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kalit posted:

What do you mean by “huge return on investment”? And do you have a source for both of these claims?

i think they mean that incentivizing people to remain at home and not continue to spread covid is absolutely worth the cost

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

slorb posted:

If we want to survive Omicron without probable hospital collapse we need to accept all possible NPIs right now.

No, the issue is that we have repeatedly seen arguments (possibly in bad faith) that anything other than China-style lockdowns is the same as, or might as well be "let it rip". The issue is that "possible" gets touted as "probable" in spite of mounting evidence to the contrary. South Africa now has a falling rate of hospital admission. They were the front line on this and a country with far inferior health care services as compared to modern western countries made it through without their system coming close to collapse. Was there a significant rise? Yes. But it was manageable and all indications are that Omicron is likely to displace all other variants due to ease of spread and that Omicron far less likely to result in severe health outcomes. This isn't new. That data has steadily come out since the 2nd week of December. We suffer from stressed health care systems every few years when a bad variant of the flu comes around too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-59832843

If a Tau variant shows up tomorrow and it looks like it is as airborne as Omicron is but has a 50% kill rate even among the vaccinated, I'll be the first in line to demand that we go full-on CCP style lockdown. For now, I am kinda done with the folks continually trying to chase COVID zero or make any attempts to live with COVID as an endemic infection as somehow a systemic failure in humanity.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Nooner posted:

i did a big fart and a bunch of diarrhea sprayed out in my pants does that mean i have covid :ohdear:

nah bro that means ur tuggin

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

Nooner posted:

You were supposed to save those beans.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

A big flaming stink posted:

i think they mean that incentivizing people to remain at home and not continue to spread covid is absolutely worth the cost

Since you want to speak to this, which makes me think you’re supporting it, do you have a source that states fully vaccinated/boosted/masked individuals in the same room are always subject to infect each other? Regardless of time? That’s literally the only way I could see shutting down all retail makes sense…

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Nooner posted:

I’m afraid that’s aids

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Seeing curves like this make want NPIs sooner rather than later. Waiting until every hospital reads like /r/nursing is too late. It has to be preemptive.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

slorb posted:

I think a lot of people can only see "Covid zero" or "let it rip" as possibilities, when there is a huge space between those two outcomes and most places fall into that space.

there really isn’t a “huge” space between those two. there really isn’t any space. covid is sufficiently transmissible that if you aren’t hitting zero covid, the exponents are large enough that “non zero covid” quite quickly becomes “let er rip” covid. it’s also why the intrinsic severity barely matters unless a variant flat out stops requiring hospitalization at all. transmission number big, covid number get very very big. most places seem to want to pretend there is a middle ground in spite of the math, hence all the failing.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kalit posted:

Since you want to speak to this, which makes me think you’re supporting it, do you have a source that states fully vaccinated/boosted/masked individuals in the same room are always subject to infect each other? Regardless of time? That’s literally the only way I could see shutting down all retail makes sense…

i interpreted it as "if you remove a major reason for people to interact with others in public, then that will dramatically slow the spread"

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

crepeface posted:

Seeing curves like this make want NPIs sooner rather than later. Waiting until every hospital reads like /r/nursing is too late. It has to be preemptive.

Your first measure might be to mandate vaccines for all individuals unless medically exempted and/or rejecting/limiting ICU admission to those without vaccination. 94% of ICU patients in Victoria ICU units are unvaccinated. That is a reasonable first step.

Zodium posted:

It’s also why the intrinsic severity barely matters unless a variant flat out stops requiring hospitalization at all. transmission number big, covid number get very very big. most places seem to want to pretend there is a middle ground in spite of the math, hence all the failing.

That is just bullshit. South Africa literally proves you are wrong.

quote:

But in South Africa, a statement released after a special cabinet meeting said cases and hospital admission rates had dropped in almost all provinces across the country.

For the week ending 25 December 2021, the number of confirmed infections stood at 89,781 - down from 127,753 the week before.

The changes announced include lifting restrictions on movement between midnight and 04:00. Businesses will also be allowed to sell alcohol under normal licensing rules, instead of closing at 23:00.

Overnight curfew rules of varying severities have been in place since a national state of disaster was declared in late March 2020.

The country still has "spare capacity for admission of patients even for routine health services" despite the Omicron wave, officials said.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

A big flaming stink posted:

i interpreted it as "if you remove a major reason for people to interact with others in public, then that will dramatically slow the spread"

Once again, since you seem to be defending this position, do you have an answer to what I just asked you? Specifically:

Kalit posted:

do you have a source that states fully vaccinated/boosted/masked individuals in the same room are always subject to infect each other? Regardless of time?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

MikeC posted:

Your first measure might be to mandate vaccines for all individuals unless medically exempted and/or rejecting/limiting ICU admission to those without vaccination. 94% of ICU patients in Victoria ICU units are unvaccinated. That is a reasonable first step.

mandating vaccines would be very good but would take time and they're already 80% first jabbed, 76% 2nd jab. a reasonable first step would be... reversing yesterday's change to define close contacts as someone you've spent 4+ hours in a house with (offices and schools don't count apparently) so people can't get free PCR tests.

also idk why you're limiting it to ICUs but 22% of patients hospitalised with COVID-19 are vaccinated in victoria

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Kalit posted:

IDK exactly what you're asking here, do people always infect each other? Or there's always a chance? I know that in Australia (I think it was in that initial surge in NSW) that there was a tracked case that was caught on CCTV of two people walking past each other in a shop.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Zodium posted:

there really isn’t a “huge” space between those two. there really isn’t any space. covid is sufficiently transmissible that if you aren’t hitting zero covid, the exponents are large enough that “non zero covid” quite quickly becomes “let er rip” covid. it’s also why the intrinsic severity barely matters unless a variant flat out stops requiring hospitalization at all. transmission number big, covid number get very very big. most places seem to want to pretend there is a middle ground in spite of the math, hence all the failing.

There is sort of an in-between, but it still says 'gently caress you to immuno-compromised'. The in between is 'space covid out enough that hospitals can cope with the numbers, and infections remain stable but not overwhelming'.

We don't have to be at where we have been for a long time - with heart attacks being a death sentence because they don't have room for you or what not. It'd still be at a level where those who covid is most dangerous for would be in danger, but some people think it's an acceptable level to be at.

I'd at least prefer it to the current 8+ hour ER waits near me, but if I could choose between zero covid and it I'd clearly choose zero.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the South African numbers don’t “prove” anything because we don’t understand them yet. we will not understand them for some weeks at the very earliest. who knows, maybe the laws of probability suddenly stopped working in South Africa? but I don’t think so. we’ll see what they prove.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
All other NPIs are ridiculous in the face of unlimited unmasked indoor gatherings of "packed nightclub" density imo. Large, unmasked indoor gatherings are the place to begin mitigations. The most bang for buck is very very obviously closing bars, nightclubs, music and sporting venues, airports and airplanes, school and workplace dining halls, etc. and I think that's going to be the 800lb gorilla in the room because that strikes at capitalism so directly it's considered impossible to even contemplate.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

crepeface posted:

IDK exactly what you're asking here, do people always infect each other? Or there's always a chance? I know that in Australia (I think it was in that initial surge in NSW) that there was a tracked case that was caught on CCTV of two people walking past each other in a shop.

.....if you'd follow back the quotes, you could see I'm referring to this part of a post (emphasis is mine):

slorb posted:

Shutting retail is still a good idea even if people are primarily catching Covid at home. Any mechanism that pays people to stay home has a huge return on investment right now.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Okay? idk how your question or my answer invalidates that post?

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Zodium posted:

the South African numbers don’t “prove” anything because we don’t understand them yet. we will not understand them for some weeks at the very earliest. who knows, maybe the laws of probability suddenly stopped working in South Africa? but I don’t think so. we’ll see what they prove.

The immune landscape is South Africa is frankly bizarre with huge volumes of immunocompromised individuals and also a large population with immune memory from Beta infection. Nowhere else really resembles it, unfortunately. The endpoint to watch is deaths in the West in general I think but that's going to lag extremely.

The other endpoint to watch is health system breakdown via loss of staff. If the miserable grind of farming hopeless antivax patients in the covid ICU amidst layoffs is hollowing things out to where $175/hour and, allegedly, up to $350/hour can't get people to work as nurses, we have a big problem regardless of how "mild" Omicron is or isn't. An essential industry is collapsing whether or not it is directly because of present covid wave hospitalizations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

crepeface posted:

Okay? idk how your question or my answer invalidates that post?

I assume your claim, if it's true, is with unvaccinated people since you said it was during the initial surge and presumably before vaccines. No idea if they had masks on either, since you didn't say anything about that.

Stating we should shut down all retail to stop transmission, irregardless of any other regulation, seems like it's fear mongering that covid can transmit between anyone at anytime in any number of seconds. Irregardless of masks, vaccination status, etc.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Professor Beetus posted:

I dunno but I would recommend against taking medical advice from the Something Awful internet forums.

he is asking about his diarrhea

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

crepeface posted:

mandating vaccines would be very good but would take time and they're already 80% first jabbed, 76% 2nd jab. a reasonable first step would be... reversing yesterday's change to define close contacts as someone you've spent 4+ hours in a house with (offices and schools don't count apparently) so people can't get free PCR tests.

also idk why you're limiting it to ICUs but 22% of patients hospitalised with COVID-19 are vaccinated in victoria

ICUs tend to be the critical tipping point since they are the most manpower and monetary-intensive bed to maintain. They are also the most difficult beds to expand capacity for. It was presented as and remains the primary justification for continued restrictions in Ontario/Canada and many other Western jurisdictions. Filling up ICU capacity also begins the process of doctors having to start making decisions on who lives and who dies with respect to who gets the ICU bed between any number of competing patients.

Zodium posted:

:rolleyes: I mean you could justify just about anything and everything with that way of thinking but sure.

Wang Commander posted:

The immune landscape is South Africa is frankly bizarre with huge volumes of immunocompromised individuals and also a large population with immune memory from Beta infection. Nowhere else really resembles it, unfortunately. The endpoint to watch is deaths in the West in general I think but that's going to lag extremely.

The other endpoint to watch is health system breakdown via loss of staff. If the miserable grind of farming hopeless antivax patients in the covid ICU amidst layoffs is hollowing things out to where $175/hour and, allegedly, up to $350/hour can't get people to work as nurses, we have a big problem regardless of how "mild" Omicron is or isn't. An essential industry is collapsing whether or not it is directly because of present covid wave hospitalizations.

While COVID might be accelerating the pace of burnout for health professionals, it isn't the cause of it. Issues like nursing shortages have been ongoing well before the pandemic and is a systemic issue that must be fixed whether COVID magically disappears tomorrow or it turns out we have to live with it like every other endemic disease out there. Trying to use a longstanding public health issue that was present well before COVID and trying to use it as an excuse for restrictions is being disingenuous.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 31, 2021

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Wang Commander posted:

Large, unmasked indoor gatherings are the place to begin mitigations.

Wang Commander posted:

airports and airplanes

Airplane passengers are required to wear masks, at least in the U.S. and Canada.

slorb
May 14, 2002

Kalit posted:

Stating we should shut down all retail to stop transmission, irregardless of any other regulation, seems like it's fear mongering that covid can transmit between anyone at anytime in any number of seconds. Irregardless of masks, vaccination status, etc.

A lot of people do not wear masks correctly, and outside of people who were boosted in the last few weeks vaccination is not effective at stopping Omicron infection. Retail workers also spend 8+ hours with customers and are therefore at a high risk of infection.

Why do you think people aren't being infected in retail settings?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Zodium posted:

To be fair this is what people said about India when Delta was ripping through it, totally ignoring reports on the ground as well.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

tagesschau posted:

Airplane passengers are required to wear masks, at least in the U.S. and Canada.

I have traveled for business during the pandemic and unfortunately they are much like anywhere else that allows food and drink: home of the ubiquitous covid-repellent water bottle also seen in classrooms and workplaces

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Well, we have plenty of large hospitalization numbers in major population centers being recorded now, so we won't have to wait long to see which parts of the results observed in SA were predictive and which weren't.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Wang Commander posted:

yeah. one thing that makes quantitative analysis of the pandemic so difficult once big outbreaks get going is it’s a perfect storm of path dependent heterogeneity, poverty of data and interdependency. fog of war stuff. just no way to interpret anything. and by the time we start to work anything out, we could be halfway through the next variant again/. not good

MikeC posted:

:rolleyes: I mean you could justify just about anything and everything with that way of thinking but sure.

yeah. makes you think.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Zodium posted:

Just looking at US states there's a 5 fold difference between covid death rates in the lowest and highest states. That's over half a million people who would be alive if the US had handled the pandemic nationally as well as those states did. The difference maker is obviously not lockdowns since none of those states locked down.

(that, or there are other things that matter besides the government response - but that's true for the federal government as well as the states)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

MikeC posted:

ICUs tend to be the critical tipping point since they are the most manpower and monetary-intensive bed to maintain. They are also the most difficult beds to expand capacity for. It was presented as and remains the primary justification for continued restrictions in Ontario/Canada and many other Western jurisdictions. Filling up ICU capacity also begins the process of doctors having to start making decisions on who lives and who dies with respect to who gets the ICU bed between any number of competing patients.

ok but do you think hospital beds (we call them hobbos in oz) being at a critical tipping point is a problem

quote:

While COVID might be accelerating the pace of burnout for health professionals, it isn't the cause of it. Issues like nursing shortages have been ongoing well before the pandemic and is a systemic issue that must be fixed whether COVID magically disappears tomorrow or it turns out we have to live with it like every other endemic disease out there. Trying to use a longstanding public health issue that was present well before COVID and trying to use it as an excuse for restrictions is being disingenuous.

Love how you state with certainty that COVID isn't an issue massively contributing to healthcare worker burnout.

Kalit posted:

I assume your claim, if it's true, is with unvaccinated people since you said it was during the initial surge and presumably before vaccines. No idea if they had masks on either, since you didn't say anything about that.

Whatever's happening now to give us this result:

crepeface posted:

can't continue without intervention. Whether that's mandating vaccinations, masks, shutdowns or whatever, something needs to be done now. Mandating vaccinations can't happen quickly, proper mask wearing is difficult with current attitudes.

Shutdowns is one of the things that done quickly and can be enforced. I can't believe that "shutdowns don't work" is something that needs to addressed with effortposts rather than just "lol stfu dumbass."

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Yesterday the PM and National Cabinet redefined close contacts as 4+ hours of continual contact in a house like environment for the purposes of getting a free PCR test.

Today, it seems some states may disagree with the redefinition:

SA's Chief Public Health Officer contradicts national cabinet COVID-19 close contact definition

quote:

As well as household contacts, the definition of 'close contact' in SA will include anyone who's spent more than 15 minutes with an infected person in a "setting where there has been significant transmission."

COVID-19 in WA: Mark McGowan delays adopting new close contact definition in WA, flags harsher restrictions

turns out im a states rights guy now!

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

NecroBob posted:

And yet virtualboycolor, gio, and wang commander aren't? this thread is a motherfucking joke. lol gg 2021

If a poster here argues that masking and vaccines work, that poster might receive a tidal wave of posts from people who apparently have nothing better to do than post most hours of the day arguing the opposite. They can indirectly quote rando Twitter posts and an endless supply of pre-print studies. These isolated Doomers can post daily and endlessly, regardless of current statistics during the good times when restrictions might be warranted to be relaxed.

But if you argue endlessly that COVID will lead to the downfall of all of humanity, you have a free pass in every single COVID SA thread to push absolute nonsense about how the US's only hope is for unarmed neighborhood patrols enacting check points and reeducation policies regarding COVID in the US.

It appears that in the other thread which must not be mentioned, COVID is now an airborne AIDS-like-Parkinsons-and-Alzheimer's'-Disease-causing agent causing majority-permanent Long COVID symptoms which make suicide a questionably acceptable option, which necessitates a full blown authoritarian-state-perfect-gunpoint-lockdown, and any posters arguing against this must be personally held responsible for the number of anti-vax idiots ending up in hospitals and/or dying.

If I'm going to eat a 6er over this post, please highlight any of the unacceptable discussion points instead of allowing Doomposting and endless conspiracy theory to overwhelm this thread too.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

slorb posted:

A lot of people do not wear masks correctly, and outside of people who were boosted in the last few weeks vaccination is not effective at stopping Omicron infection. Retail workers also spend 8+ hours with customers and are therefore at a high risk of infection.

Why do you think people aren't being infected in retail settings?

So.... are you saying that regulations aren't being followed? So.... why bother with them? Wouldn't the same hold true of regulations of retail being shut down then?

crepeface posted:

Whatever's happening now to give us this result:

can't continue without intervention. Whether that's mandating vaccinations, masks, shutdowns or whatever, something needs to be done now. Mandating vaccinations can't happen quickly, proper mask wearing is difficult with current attitudes

Shutdowns is one of the things that done quickly and can be enforced. I can't believe that "shutdowns don't work" is something that needs to addressed with effortposts rather than just "lol stfu dumbass."

Once again, if you could provide sources to corroborate your claims, I would appreciate it. Anecdotally, I know lots of local businesses that enforce vaccines and/or properly worn masks at all times.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
sweet, anecdotally i see a lot of dumbasses dicknosing and chinstrapping

buddy, if you think it's quick and easy to mandate vaccinations i'd love to hear how :allears:

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

crepeface posted:

sweet, anecdotally i see a lot of dumbasses dicknosing and chinstrapping

buddy, if you think it's quick and easy to mandate vaccinations i'd love to hear how :allears:

buddy, if you think it's quick and easy to enforce all private retail businesses to be shut down, i'd love to hear how :allears:

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
If enforcement is such a pervasive problem in the US to the point where basic state functions such as vaccination, quarantine, mask mandates, business closures, and so on cannot even be contemplated we are having the wrong discussion altogether. If critical industry cannot be prioritized at the expense of civilian fripperies in time of pandemic then the whole structure is rotten and will be unable to face any other, more immediately existential crisis.

The fact that this is largely due to our security forces being a self-serving, politically unreliable, mafia/hereditary warrior class is a problem that dwarfs the covid worst case when we try to get out our crystal balls and talk about the future of the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

James Garfield posted:

Just looking at US states there's a 5 fold difference between covid death rates in the lowest and highest states. That's over half a million people who would be alive if the US had handled the pandemic nationally as well as those states did. The difference maker is obviously not lockdowns since none of those states locked down.

(that, or there are other things that matter besides the government response - but that's true for the federal government as well as the states)

this is year two of what is about to become a very, very long game. as we move to an uncontrolled endemicity trajectory, covid will have plenty of opportunities for exploring paths. we’ll see what the numbers look like in 20 years.

this is the path that was chosen for us.