Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Zodium posted:

zero covid has to work.

Zero COVID cannot fail, it can only BE failed?

Mother Nature is smarter than you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i think you’ll find “Mother Nature” doesn’t particularly care whether we manage to execute on the only viable strategy or not.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Suzera posted:

Even if Omicron doesn't kill anyone, just the sheer amount of people bedridden seems like it'll cause some amount of logistical issues in the US next month.

Instead of making GBS threads your pants, make sure you're stocked up on masks, necessities, and have some food to eat for a week or two at all times for the next month or two. Preferably a stock that doesn't rely on electricity just in case. Far more productive than just sitting at your computer being anxious and not making easy preparations to offset the things you fear might happen.

What foods would you recommend that don't require electricity to prepare? Obviously something that can be stored without refrigeration, but also doesn't require electricity or really any kind of heating. I do have a little camp stove and propane bottles, but let's assume most goons reading this thread don't have an alternative if the power grid goes down.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

maybe a bit tinfoil here, but sometimes I actually get the feeling Mother Nature is actively trying to kill us, and goes to incredible efforts to do so, and I’m just really thankful we invented stuff like society and science and statistics to control and contain those efforts.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

Zero COVID cannot fail, it can only BE failed?

Mother Nature is smarter than you.

i think the point is that if zero covid does not work, eventually the odds are good it mutates into a spanish flu-strength variant

IE it must work because we're hosed if it doesnt

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Fritz the Horse posted:

What foods would you recommend that don't require electricity to prepare? Obviously something that can be stored without refrigeration, but also doesn't require electricity or really any kind of heating. I mean if the power grid goes down I do have a little camp stove and propane bottles. Crackers? MREs?
I got a variety of nuts, dried and canned fruits and vegetables, beans, crackers, canned olives, canned soups (US ones at least can be eaten uncooked if need be as long as the can is intact), as well as some vitamins. I also have some spices, condiments and honey. Breads and tortillas can store for a while if you keep an extra loaf or package around and eat the older one first every time.

MREs seem viable, but I haven't really researched them much and they're more expensive. I'm mostly fine with just cracking open a bottle of sunflower kernels plus some raisins for a meal a while so I didn't look for anything particularly exotic. If I had infinite money I'd also have some meat jerky to help make sure protein and maybe some gaps in micronutrients are covered beyond what's in the soup cans.

I am not a nutritionist so this probably isn't very optimized, but at least it's not just a bunch of nutrient empty carbs.

E: You probably want to have at least some nuts or olives or else get some other decent source of fats in your supplies. A lot of the rest listed here is mostly carbs.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 31, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

A big flaming stink posted:

i think the point is that if zero covid does not work, eventually the odds are good it mutates into a spanish flu-strength variant

The likelihood of that happening is both slim and not really dependent on any one country. Even the people who promote Zero Covid or Else do so because they see the alternative as selling immunocompromised people up the river that they refuse to give up on.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

I forgot about the canned olives. Also not a carb food that's pretty easy to eat.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Suzera posted:

I got a variety of nuts, dried and canned fruits and vegetables, beans, crackers, canned soups (US ones at least can be eaten uncooked if need be as long as the can is intact), as well as some vitamins. I also have some spices, condiments and honey. Breads and tortillas can store for a while if you keep an extra loaf or package around and eat the older one first every time.

MREs seem viable, but I haven't really researched them much and they're more expensive. I'm mostly fine with just cracking open a bottle of sunflower kernels plus some raisins for a meal a while so I didn't look for anything particularly exotic. If I had infinite money I'd also have some meat jerky to help make sure protein and maybe some gaps in micronutrients are covered beyond what's in the soup cans.

I am not a nutritionist so this probably isn't very optimized, but at least it's not just a bunch of nutrient empty carbs.

E: You probably want to have at least some nuts or else get some other decent source of fats in your supplies. A lot of the rest listed here is mostly carbs.

Thanks that's helpful. I have a lot of that stuff in the cupboard already but I should probably stock up for the coming few weeks/months.

Don't forget water, that's even more important! Personally I find soft-sided cubitainers pretty convenient, I have a few like this: https://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-Collapsible-Water-20-Liter/dp/B01FKJXEQM Just an example I'm not recommending any specific brand.

The nice thing about cubitainers like that is they're collapsible and soft-sided but also fairly convenient size to move around. You should consider keeping a few full ones around for storm, earthquake, hurricane etc preparedness. And then since they're collapsible you can keep more empty ones in storage in case you are anticipating a large event like a COVID surge. That way they're not taking up extra space when they're not in use.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Craptacular! posted:

The likelihood of that happening is both slim and not really dependent on any one country. Even the people who promote Zero Covid or Else do so because they see the alternative as selling immunocompromised people up the river that they refuse to give up on.

If COVID becomes a recurrent thing like influenza, which seems quite possible, I would think we would need reliable antiviral treatments to support the immunocompromised because obviously vaccinations will be of limited use. Possibly convalescent serum or monoclonal therapy. But for now I would agree stricter lockdowns are about the only thing to help them. I am frankly expecting Denmark to tighten things down more but they are apparently wait-and-see.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
anyone know what to do with 600lbs of rancid olive oil and, uh, a lot of beans??

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

anyone know what to do with 600lbs of rancid olive oil and, uh, a lot of beans??

Ask in UKMT re: beans

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
got a bad investment tip from the old covid thread and it turns out you can't just flush olive oil

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it doesn’t have to get worse. these waves are very serious recurring public health crises with localized system collapses. here. now. today. we can’t sustain this and we can’t just keep hoping it will get mild enough. there’s plenty of room for it to get worse, like it just did twice, and we’re giving it all the space it needs to get there, but it doesn’t have to. that would just make the bad situation much worse.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

The next COVID home remedy sweeping the nation.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
How long do you have to have olive oil for for it to go rancid?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

How long do you have to have olive oil for for it to go rancid?

Googling days 18-24 months from pressing.

Have the Americans all gone to bed now?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Zodium posted:

maybe a bit tinfoil here, but sometimes I actually get the feeling Mother Nature is actively trying to kill us, and goes to incredible efforts to do so, and I’m just really thankful we invented stuff like society and science and statistics to control and contain those efforts.

One day, through collaborative effort, we well finally manage to subdue and eventually kill Mother Nature, humanities oldest enemy.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

One day, through collaborative effort, we well finally manage to subdue and eventually kill Mother Nature, humanities oldest enemy.

Actually I misquoted Orgel:

"Evolution is cleverer than you are."

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

It might be a funny joke to you but I think we should all be well-prepared for the next few weeks or months. Omicron hit South Africa hard and fast and it's doing the same to the UK.

It's entirely reasonable to stockpile food and water for the Omicron wave or literally... any natural disaster:

If you're on the East or Gulf Coast of the US you should have food and water ready for a hurricane or severe storms.

If you're on the West Coast you should also consider prepardeness for earthquakes or, in the PNW, volcanoes.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

we have toiled through the ages, ten thousand generations of humans standing on the shoulders of one another, our labors transcending time and space itself in a behavioral system of such perfect and infinite complexity that it pains my inner eye to behold its complete majesty, a system which works in teleological fashion for one singular purpose, towards one singular goal, and at last, we stand on the cusp of ultimate victory over our ancient enemy. the hour is nigh for Mother Nature. :hai:

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

speng31b posted:

All of UK isn't looking so bad yet but hospitalizations in London aren't looking great by the numbers. The hospitalizations in NY/NJ are a bit steeper but I don't think I'd look at what's happening in London and see it as great news quite yet.

e: also i think lower case detections in London/UK lately might not be great news but owing to the massive test shortages

There are two arguments you can make about this, or have been in the news. Firstly, the rate of discharge is effected by Christmas, so the numbers might be distorted, but that does mean we don't really know what the actual situation is, bad or good. Secondly, while Hospitilisations have started to move around the 3rd December where the curve starts, both mechanical ventilation beds and deaths are so much flatter comparatively. I know people will make an argument about delays, but we talking about a month now since the hospital figures started to curve.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare?areaType=nhsRegion%26areaName=London#card-patients_in_mechanical_ventilation_beds

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Rust Martialis posted:

If COVID becomes a recurrent thing like influenza, which seems quite possible, I would think we would need reliable antiviral treatments to support the immunocompromised because obviously vaccinations will be of limited use. Possibly convalescent serum or monoclonal therapy. But for now I would agree stricter lockdowns are about the only thing to help them. I am frankly expecting Denmark to tighten things down more but they are apparently wait-and-see.

Oh, I think everyone is forgetting about immunocompromised people. Everyone's willing to write off the elderly (they would have died any day now anyways!), and a lot of comorbidities (should have been more healthy!) but there's no easy answer for most immunocompromised people.

I can't even get a test with symptoms in Ontario, despite tests supposedly being available to "high risk" groups (which I'm not a member of anymore I guess).

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

MikeC posted:

Assume a Tau variant arises, infects 100% of the population but causes 0 symptoms in every person. Each and every single hospitalization will now be a COVID case. Do we have a COVID crisis in this hypothetical world? This is why it is critical to start teasing apart the data. South Africa is reporting 60% of their COVID numbers are incidental, possibly higher in the UK. See my previous posts for the sources.

At what point are we just lumping these cases in just to inflate the COVID case and hospitalization counts so people can continue to panic? It is possible to work out the data but people have to do the work.

Given the Ontario numbers, while I think it's fine to try and make an attempt to categorize incidental COVID infections from admitted to hospital due to COVID, I can't see any way that that doesn't become irrelevant pretty quickly unless the categorization is bullshit. We're seeing clear exponential growth in hospitalizations now, so the incidental rate should be a fairly small and shrinking proportion.

If it's strictly incidental, you wouldn't expect to see exponential growth in total hospitalizations. So if there is exponential growth in hospitalizations, cases due to COVID are going to quickly overwhelm the cases with COVID, or you're incorrectly categorizing some people as with COVID instead of due to COVID (or at the very least, COVID is a factor in their hospitalization).

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/12/31/south-africa-omicron-coronavirus-peak/

quote:

Omicron has passed peak in South Africa, causing relatively few deaths and hospitalizations, authorities say

South Africa appears to have passed the peak of its omicron variant-driven fourth coronavirus wave, the country’s cabinet announced Thursday, adding that there was only a “marginal increase” in fatalities, which remained low compared to previous spikes.

It's flatly not too early anymore. There will be death and stress on many healthcare systems, but it's not the end of the world, and the Omicron wave is likely to peak and recede in the U.S. by mid-January.

Also seeing a lot more press about how hospitalization counts are getting muddy because of those hospitalized with COVID vs. those hospitalized because of COVID, especially amongst children.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's going to peak quickly, so instead of worrying about long-term restrictions, why not just do a short, sharp lockdown to hopefully reduce the risk associated with peak hospitalizations, since people getting sick is going to gently caress a lot of things up anyway?

The fact that it's already going down in South Africa seems to recommend the introduction of restrictions, precisely because it's something we won't have to live with long-term.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

PT6A posted:

It's going to peak quickly, so instead of worrying about long-term restrictions, why not just do a short, sharp lockdown to hopefully reduce the risk associated with peak hospitalizations, since people getting sick is going to gently caress a lot of things up anyway?

The fact that it's already going down in South Africa seems to recommend the introduction of restrictions, precisely because it's something we won't have to live with long-term.

Because the population would respond terribly, at least in the United States. The speakers with bullhorns at the protests would be pointing to the South Africa data as they railed against the lockdown and restriction.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

A big flaming stink posted:

Except thats not necessarily true at all?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it’s not true as long as there won’t be new variants or deadly airborne pathogens. otherwise, it’s just a question of how long it takes us to lose the game. this is the second deadly airborne pathogens to hit a home run on us in a century, with multiple close calls in the last 20 years alone. zero covid is zero future airborne pathogens. evolution is not magic, but if we keep playing stupid games, we will keep winning stupid prizes. it’s just a hard evolutionary fact that the laws of probability bend for nothing and no one.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If that were true then I would wonder how we've gotten so lucky that the common cold hadn't evolved into super-AIDS and killed us all centuries ago. Scary times.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

because it doesn’t have to. it doesn’t care about anything except not killing us before it reproduces in a new host. do you think there’s a limit to how many of these we can generate? that there is a hidden reservoir from which we can draw resources and workers to absorb even an extra flu, long term? we literally can’t “accept” this except in some incredibly facile sense of the word. we can only fail to contain it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Sadly it’s all for not because the US frankly does not care. Biden has shown he is just as evil and warped as Trump when it comes to dealing with covid.

Example:

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1476588594127122439?s=20

Just absolutely sickening when, according to the studies coming out of SA, Omicron impacts the young just as bad as Delta.

All the while this is happening:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1476754432348016643?s=20

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Zodium posted:

because it doesn’t have to. it doesn’t care about anything except not killing us before it reproduces in a new host. do you think there’s a limit to how many of these we can generate? that there is a hidden reservoir from which we can draw resources and workers to absorb even an extra flu, long term? we literally can’t “accept” this except in some incredibly facile sense of the word. we can only fail to contain it.

If "there's a chance that there will be a super-AIDS variant that will kill us all" means that it's inevitable and we should act like every virus is super AIDS, why doesn't "there's a chance that there will be a variant with an R0 of over 9000 that will infect everyone on earth in 15 minutes" mean the same and so zero-whatever is hopeless?

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have mitigations, but they should match the virus / variant we're actually dealing with, not some theoretical variant.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 31, 2021

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

enki42 posted:

If "there's a chance that there will be a super-AIDS variant that will kill us all" means that it's inevitable and we should act like every virus is super AIDS, why doesn't "there's a chance that there will be a variant with an R0 of over 9000 that will infect everyone on earth in 15 minutes" and so zero-whatever is hopeless?

We know that is impossible, but lab work suggests there are versions of the corona spike that stick like nothing's biz to ACE2. Some really nasty variants are possible in evolutionary space.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

enki42 posted:

If "there's a chance that there will be a super-AIDS variant that will kill us all" means that it's inevitable and we should act like every virus is super AIDS, why doesn't "there's a chance that there will be a variant with an R0 of over 9000 that will infect everyone on earth in 15 minutes" and so zero-whatever is hopeless?

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have mitigations, but they should match the virus / variant we're actually dealing with, not some theoretical variant.

I mean, there could be a meteor hurtling towards Earth that nobody noticed and that will kill us all. It's possible, man! As usual, the best thing to do is get vaccinated, wear your mask, limit your exposure risk to what you're comfortable with. Plenty of goons are popping positive with Omi now, so far they've been OK. Let go of things you can't control and focus on making it through each day. We're going to make it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

enki42 posted:

Speaking of mitigations, what are the mitigation efforts for the huge super spreader event known as New Years.

Has Biden stated anything? Has the Dem leaders of New York City canceled the festivities like last year to flatten the curve?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

enki42 posted:

with COVID instead of due to COVID

I remember when this was a right wing talking point to try to downplay the danger of Covid. If it's making it's way across the political divide, that's not great.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

enki42 posted:

If "there's a chance that there will be a super-AIDS variant that will kill us all" means that it's inevitable and we should act like every virus is super AIDS, why doesn't "there's a chance that there will be a variant with an R0 of over 9000 that will infect everyone on earth in 15 minutes" mean the same and so zero-whatever is hopeless?

this is a recipe for failure because, like Rust said, evolution is smarter than us. this hubris that is driving our failure here. if we give it the space, evolution is simply faster than we can do science and determine a proportionate response—hence the precautionary principle. case in point: we are two years into this and are still failing to know much of anything for more than a few months, and usually a few months too late, at that.

whether a single airborne super aids occurs or we just keep adding another flu every so many years makes no real difference. and we still don’t know if this is a new flu or new polio, for that matter. new flu is the best case here! the desirable outcome! play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Speaking of mitigations, what are the mitigation efforts for the huge super spreader event known as New Years.

Has Biden stated anything? Has the Dem leaders of New York City canceled the festivities like last year to flatten the curve?

That would bankrupt bars, so in a compromise everyone has agreed to close the bars new years morning until football games start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Weasling Weasel posted:

There are two arguments you can make about this, or have been in the news. Firstly, the rate of discharge is effected by Christmas, so the numbers might be distorted, but that does mean we don't really know what the actual situation is, bad or good. Secondly, while Hospitilisations have started to move around the 3rd December where the curve starts, both mechanical ventilation beds and deaths are so much flatter comparatively. I know people will make an argument about delays, but we talking about a month now since the hospital figures started to curve.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare?areaType=nhsRegion%26areaName=London#card-patients_in_mechanical_ventilation_beds

Yeah, I get that. I'm cautioning against using London's numbers as evidence of "good news" in the sense of "SA and London are looking good." We don't really know. We know that by the numbers London's hospitalizations look like they're going up somewhat steeply.