Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Didnt DS3 have a gimmick where one player would "hallucinate" enemies the other player couldnt see?

That was a kinda cool idea.

I dont know, i didnt play it and its been a bit since i watched CJacobs LP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kane and Lynch did that. Lynch is pop-fiction schizophrenic and sees things that aren't there to shoot at.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of chasing trends and Dead Space, remember how in Dead Space 2 they put in a multiplayer mode? IIRC it was also during that time period where game publishers were locking things behind a paywall if you bought it used/rented it.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It's not bad if you're actually playing two-player but becomes really weird if you're still playing through single player. You're mostly talking to Carver over the radio and then as soon as a cutscene starts he'll teleport right next to you and talk like he's been there the whole time. Towards the end when you're down in the alien base he starts talking about his dead son and asking if he's a good person and it's like dude, I don't even know you. There has been no bonding experience between us, you've conveniently been somewhere else this whole time.

Not a bad idea necessarily but I got the impression that it was an imposition from executives and not something the developers would have chosen to do on their own.

DS3 co-op was mandated by publishers, EA forced it on the devs. ditto for the "mainstreaming" by increasing action and decreasing horror. they also tried increasing multiplayer features with a one time use pass to cut into gamestops used game resell market. it was present in 2 and went further with 3.

1 and 2 did well but didn't reach EAs ridiculous "growth" projections, so EA took a much heavier hand with trying to make the 3 bigger through trend chasing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm enjoying my Dead Space 3 playthrough a lot, but it feels very reminiscent of Resident Evil 6's switch to a heavier action focus. There's still horror and the gameplay is fun, but it's a definite shift from the first two.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Their trend chasing worked, dead space 3 blew the other two out of the water in sales, but EA's projections were so outlandishly high that they still weren't met.

Edit: for an example of the wild technical limitations, you can only hold two weapons with 2 tips per player because the engine can't handle there being more than 4 weapons total in memory at once. They turned it into a really cool customization thing by letting you still basically have four guns but man. Console development is so strange. ALLEGEDLY this is the reason they were going to go with schizophrenic "Shadow Isaac", to save on memory by having there just be two of him in universe.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Dec 30, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And yeah, the Carver exclusive sights and sounds only happen in the co op missions but they make the game imo.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The increased focus on action in DS2 seemed like a natural enough progression. In the first game you're a silent protagonist engineer investigating a distress call with no idea what's about to happen. In DS2 you've already killed hundreds of necromorphs so it's a bit harder to keep up the horror aspect. In DS3 Isaac looks at the camera and says "Here we go again!" and then the game drops three of the regenerating necromorphs directly on your head.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ZeusCannon posted:

Didnt DS3 have a gimmick where one player would "hallucinate" enemies the other player couldnt see?

That was a kinda cool idea.

I dont know, i didnt play it and its been a bit since i watched CJacobs LP

I guess I'll just have to do the LP over again but with more detailed analyses and co op integration with my cool pals Sally and Crow then won't I!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Been really enjoying the postgame unlocks for RE Village, but man, unless I'm missing something important, the Rocket Pistol you get for beating it on super hard mode kinda sucks. Low damage, takes forever to reload... I may as well just keep using my 28 shot super magnum over this thing.

e: never mind this thing is hilarious and clearly designed for speedrunning lol, it's basically an "all y'alls get the gently caress outta my way" button.

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Dec 30, 2021

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Their trend chasing worked, dead space 3 blew the other two out of the water in sales, but EA's projections were so outlandishly high that they still weren't met.

Edit: for an example of the wild technical limitations, you can only hold two weapons with 2 tips per player because the engine can't handle there being more than 4 weapons total in memory at once. They turned it into a really cool customization thing by letting you still basically have four guns but man. Console development is so strange. ALLEGEDLY this is the reason they were going to go with schizophrenic "Shadow Isaac", to save on memory by having there just be two of him in universe.

game sales of series are usually driven heavily by reputation of the previous game so its not really certain how much of the sales were due to the changes in DS3 vs carryover from DS2's excellent reception.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Stexils posted:

game sales of series are usually driven heavily by reputation of the previous game so its not really certain how much of the sales were due to the changes in DS3 vs carryover from DS2's excellent reception.

This also works in reverse, like when Devil May Cry 3 first came out its sales were dire (luckily not so dire as to tank the series tho) because people remembered Devil May Cry 2.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Crowetron posted:

This also works in reverse, like when Devil May Cry 3 first came out its sales were dire (luckily not so dire as to tank the series tho) because people remembered Devil May Cry 2.

I think this is also why Pillars of Eternity 2 was considered a sales disappointment. They got lots of presales with the original's kickstarter campaign, and enough people were unimpressed that when they made the imo much better sequel, people just didn't give it a look.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Jeez if you want to see how short Harmony of Dissonance is without all the aimless wandering”where the hell do I go now?” stuff, play Maxim mode. You can breeze through the entire game in a couple hours.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's been a bit since I last complained about it so I'll do it one more time now.

Where the gently caress is my Playstation MegaMan Battle Network collection?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Frank Frank posted:

Jeez if you want to see how short Harmony of Dissonance is without all the aimless wandering”where the hell do I go now?” stuff, play Maxim mode. You can breeze through the entire game in a couple hours.
Gonna quote myself real quick

Simply Simon posted:

Harmony of Dissonance - Maxim Mode

I wasn't too sure about this one because Harmony is not the greatest game, so why revisit it with all the exploration taken out? But this was actually very fun. Maxim is incredibly fun to move around with, especially compared to Juste who just cannot compare. Maxim is twice as fast, slides much farther, has a triple jump AND a screw attack that makes him invincible, and attacks super quickly with insane range. He's a glass cannon, but that just makes it more exciting. I blasted through the two castles super quick and obliterated all the bosses, it was a blast. Case in point:

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1475574609210593283?s=20

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1475575192621486082?s=20

He can also fully heal himself with a button combo I couldn't really get consistent, but mashing helps; and he has a super attack that's even less consistent, and honestly you don't need it, he shreds.

Also, this time I kept my eyes open for even more awesome looking backgrounds and boy does this game deliver.

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1476315626285137921

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The trick to maxim’s secret moves is not to “roll” the thumb pad like you would in a fighting game. Just tap each direction once then hit attack. Took me a minute to figure that out too.

But yeah, maxim mode was fun as hell (albeit short). They also gimp enemy health and damage to scale with the fact that maxim doesn’t level up. Not sure if I like that or not. Sure makes the game a lot easier. The final boss dies in under a minute. Nowhere near as hard as say, Maria/Richter mode in SotN.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

To get off the topic of Dead Space it is bonkers to me Halo Infinite launched so completely barebones but this is the missing element that gets me the most. Did the people who made this game not play Halo? I didn't even play Halo growing up and I know Halo is the bro-op shooter.

Infinite was in dev hell for a long time. I really wonder what it would have been like if they had tried to get it out the door for the Series X launch.
Master Chief collection was broke as poo poo for years as well, so maybe its just the Halo series is barely held together.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I dunno I like it. This Halo got me back into Halo after stopping around 4.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I dunno I like it. This Halo got me back into Halo after stopping around 4.

I think its good from what I've played so far. Just the development was a mess.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gotta hand it to Dead Space 3 for having a turret sequence that only mildly sucked instead of tremendously sucking, I guess

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

It's been a bit since I last complained about it so I'll do it one more time now.

Where the gently caress is my Playstation MegaMan Battle Network collection?

I'd probably pay good money for a battle network collection on switch

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
just get a handheld emulator

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Chloe Jessica posted:

just get a handheld emulator

I want to do this for the old TG16 library but :effort:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I guess I'll just have to do the LP over again but with more detailed analyses and co op integration with my cool pals Sally and Crow then won't I!

Id watch it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I just finished the main game of Dragon Quest Builders 2 and overall it's a pretty great building game but there are a few things that really drag it down for me.
Mainly it's the combat which is pretty bare bones but still a major part of the game, which means you are constantly mashing the attack button which really kills my finger joints. The worst part is that they have a solution for that which is used when hammering the terrain, which is you hold the button down to keep swinging, but in combat that's dedicated to the spin attack, which they honestly could have move to L1 + button, which is currently only used by the coop super attack, which is done pretty rarely since you have no control of it. This is also compounded by equipment being level locked, and levels being limited by how for into the story you are, so even if you equip your entire team with the best weapons combat still takes forever.

Also there is no voice acting and everything is communicated via text boxes controlled by the player, which is fine except for the characters that talk through big lines on the screen, which you can't advance manually. Instead they take like 30+seceonds for a single line of text, and they are very chatty, so you just sit there looking at twitter waiting for it to show the next line, while a quickly looping animation is shown in the background.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ZeusCannon posted:

Id watch it.

:getin:

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
There's a lot I could complain about in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla but one little thing that gets on my nerves is that one of the gimmicks that the game uses to hide treasure is to plunk it in a random house where every door is barred from the inside and you have to solve the puzzle of how to get in (shoot the bar through the window, sneak in through a hole in the roof, etc.), which makes no sense because there's never anyone inside those houses. How did they bar every door from the inside and then leave? Do they always do that when they leave the house?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

CordlessPen posted:

There's a lot I could complain about in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla but one little thing that gets on my nerves is that one of the gimmicks that the game uses to hide treasure is to plunk it in a random house where every door is barred from the inside and you have to solve the puzzle of how to get in (shoot the bar through the window, sneak in through a hole in the roof, etc.), which makes no sense because there's never anyone inside those houses. How did they bar every door from the inside and then leave? Do they always do that when they leave the house?

Apparently they do, otherwise Assassins come and take their poo poo

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
Assassins come and take their poo poo anyway, though, clearly

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I said before that Mafia 3 had main-content that should have been side-content, like making most of the racket-busting optional. At least the story and characters are excellent.

Assassins Creed Valhalla really takes the piss because everything is mandatory to complete the main story.

There are 21 regions with a corresponding questline, you need to beat 19 of them. It's always the same deal: raid a fortress and install a puppet king. The main quest is over a 130 missions long.

In the two optional regions you can undertake the worst collectathon ever made, twice, so you can earn ten measly skill-points.

I managed 20 hours of this nonsense before noping out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
Every strategy game developer when including the map where you don't have access to the standard way to replenish units: "This will really encourage players to think differently and learn how best to allocate their resources!"

Every player of that map: "Welp, time to constantly reload until I find the one undocumented way the developer included to complete this mission, and hope it's not entirely luck-based."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What's the little thing dragging salt and sanctuary down? It's like 4 euro on steam and I'm wondering if it's worth going for in the dark souls/blasphemous/hollow knight vein

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

ilmucche posted:

What's the little thing dragging salt and sanctuary down? It's like 4 euro on steam and I'm wondering if it's worth going for in the dark souls/blasphemous/hollow knight vein

It’s super fun with a cool atmosphere and a neat art style (minus the protagonist). Absolutely worth your money. I had a ball with it. I managed to 100% it with some effort.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm trying to restrict myself from posting everywhere on SA about how much I dislike Final Fantasy 14: Endwalker, so I'll just note one illustration of why I think the expansion is so badly paced.

At level 83, after completing a really big boss fight, world-shattering events happen and giant revelations about the true nature of this world are dropped. Your creepy stalker who the devs are in love with even tells you that now isn't the time for loving fighting, you've got too much on your plate right now.

So what do you do? Go tell the world what's happening? Start preparing for all hell to break loose? Sit down and wrestle with what just happened and your culpability in it?

No. You go gently caress around with some tepid comic relief for a few hours and accomplish almost nothing productive. Folks, there's ways to simmer back the tension and intensity while still keeping the plot moving forward at a steady beat.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
While I have my own misgivings about Endwalker, that section is not one of them. That, in fact, is an example of the developers realizing what good pacing is. After the deathmarch that was the third zone, the events leading up to the second dungeon, and the events all around the first trial, having "some tepid comic relief for a few hours" is the game releasing the tension and letting your, assuredly, frayed nerves get some rest.

It's letting off the gas to give players some time to breathe, come up for air, and collectively go "Jesus CHRIST."

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Having not played Endwalker, it does sound like a problem I've encountered with a lot of Japanese media(so it might just be cultural differences), where they cram humor into serious moments. It's often very intended as releasing tension, but it's pretty much always done in a way that mostly causes serious mood whiplash, killing any emotional investment.

The "oh let's go do something completely unrelated for a few hours instead of the time critical thing" is also sadly super common in lots of open world games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The deathmarch that was the third zone was great. It was, in my opinion, the only good and well-paced part of the whole drat expansion (minus the second half of In From the Cold, SE, please learn to loving indicate where you should go in a quest taking place in a maze of almost identical streets and buildings).

You learn almost nothing during that post-83 trial interlude. You accomplish even less. That release of tension and resting of nerves could have happened while also doing something to advance the plot or spend more time with characters who otherwise have bit parts in this supposed grand finale to the story or something besides a new cast of mostly identical minor characters who have two, maybe three actual funny bits between them all.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ilmucche posted:

A lot of people don't like the art style. Weapon balance is bad (big, slow, blunt weapons are pretty much objectively the best). A lot of people have the kind of gripes with it that people do for just about any souls-like game. Great game though, you should get it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't like the Stronghold in RE8. It's an annoying unfun mess of infinite enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Rando
Nov 29, 2013

ilmucche posted:

It's a great game, but if you go for a magic build you'll have a rough time in places. Some people hate the platforming but if you can tolerate the instant death pits in Blasphemous it shouldn't be too bad outside of a couple optional locations, and I had fun with the movement powers and sequence breaking potential.