Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“You have your analyst, I have my bikes.”

Are the motorcycles evil?
That quote comes on the heels of Neo saying he pays his therapist to relieve him of figuring out how much control he has over his life, I think the idea is motorcycles are her blue pill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I mean "is famous" is not the same as "is happy" and it's pretty clear Neo wasn't exactly very happy especially when they literally told him that he had to do the one thing he specifically said he didn't want to do or they were going to do it without him.

Neo's whole life in the new matrix has been constructed to cause him the maximum amount of pain and angst when the very real memories he has resurface and they look like reflections of the fake world he lives in.

Its in the film that Neo has been trying to kill himself ever since he was resurrected, he's absolutely not happy.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
this was not a good film. like, the audio mixing, the fight choreography, the general plot, the weird smith 2.0 guy, merovingian showing up to rant about video games, the entirely ridiculous meta creation movie director stuff. did they make this film wrong as a joke?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Trinity hates fake friends and now she hates fake family. Logical progression.

But in all seriousness the callousness of the original Matrix was a little bit of grit in that finely-oiled machine. They don't gloss over it - the ​reality is that when you kill an Agent you're killing some random person. Even Neo's big moment at the end where he "jumps into" Smith and blows him up is murdering a random person.

The movie flat out tells you that the dorky tech guy with the gravelly voice is a bot. He seems pretty drat sophisticated to me and even apparently has an off-hours life where he hangs out with minders available in case Neo needs an intervention. It would have helped a lot if they showed that, if a "real" person wasn't interacting with them and couldn't see them, those bots just sort of turned off and stood around or blankly carried out routine tasks in an automated way. Instead it seems like the opposite and Neo's "Modal Simulation" births a real person out of it. At this point we are functionally dealing with p-zombies and that's not an argument that you can resolve.

You can understand it by understanding that bots are humans hijacked by simple programs, in the same way that agents are humans hijacked by complex programs.

people have tried to dispute this because they bleed green matrix symbols (which they only do when they fall out of the windows, and don't do when they're shot, blugeoned or stabbed) but after rewatching the trilogy that was never a constistant indicator of what someone really was.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Horizon Burning posted:

this was not a good film. like, the audio mixing, the fight choreography, the general plot, the weird smith 2.0 guy, merovingian showing up to rant about video games, the entirely ridiculous meta creation movie director stuff. did they make this film wrong as a joke?

it’s high tech Freddy got fingered, yeah.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Noob Saibot posted:

You do understand these movies are green lit by WB execs, scripts approved by WB execs, and privately screened for WB execs long before the first trailer is released right?

This isn’t some “haha these dumb WB people told me to go out and make a 150 million dollar matrix sequel and I’m secretly going to make it a parody of Hollywood”

At the end of the day WB has total creative control and they signed off on this and backed Wackowski.

I wonder how those execs felt when Free Guy came out? Must have been some uncomfortable deja-vu moments among them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

moths posted:

Leave all the fake control people behind to join a cabal of free- thinkers. It's ok if some of those people die along the way because they're not real people or they'd agree with us.

You really should watch A Glitch in the Matrix

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ruddiger posted:

Rewatching the new matrix movie got me relistening to Ministry again so I’m thankful for that.

Has Al Jourgenson written even one good song since Filth Pig?

imo "Forkboy" is the best thing he was ever involved with

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Horizon Burning posted:

yeah the film owns, i loved it

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

moths posted:

Like, today you shouldn't be making a movie where the cool and correct answer is to shoot up a school.

Did matrix 1-3 happen?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

moths posted:

I remember being bored during the mech fight and it was like getting tired of breasts during Showgirls all over again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"He did the unthinkable... he made sex unsexy."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mmmmalo posted:

That quote comes on the heels of Neo saying he pays his therapist to relieve him of figuring out how much control he has over his life, I think the idea is motorcycles are her blue pill.

So it’s Neo’s attitude towards therapy that’s wrong, not so much the therapy itself.

If I were to speculate, I’d guess there were rewrites/reshoots and Neo was originally trapped in a “modal” training program thing. That would explain why there are effectively no human characters: the whole thing was just to get him to unlock his powers again, preparing him to fix the errors with the Sati version of the matrix.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I saw the original in IMAX a few weeks ago (the real imax, not one of the fake ones). I believe it was a transfer from the original theatrical print. The thing that struck me was how colorful it was -- particularly blue. Also that lady in the red dress really popped out.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Some anime guy on Twitter is hinting at Animatrix 2. Presumably on HBO MAX

https://twitter.com/lefrenchaccent/status/1476730400106065946?s=21

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
That would kick rear end. Also loled at John Gaetea’s cameo in resurrections, he even got a speaking part! He should have worked on the vfx instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Please don't bankrupt Square-Enix again, Endwalker was really good.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Noob Saibot posted:

Animatrix 2 is exactly what Matrix 4 needs to fill out the gaps. Pretty hyped.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Noob Saibot posted:

YES PLEASE

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I need constant new matrix content on HBO+ and a new matrix spin-off film every year

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A sitcom, but in the Matrix.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I would love an actual season of anime. Instead of the standalone episode shorts we got.

That one for The Dark Knight was badass too though.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

lunar detritus posted:

Animatrix 2 is exactly what Matrix 4 needs to fill out the gaps. Pretty hyped.

Matrix Awakens was bizarrely better than the actual film, so why not. But don't be fooled: as we know from the piles of tie-in stuff with the last sequels, supplementary material can't actually "fill the gaps" in a narrative. It can only give us more narratives.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

My thought while watching was "the creator is now irreverent about their creation"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
We can all go home now, RLM have given their verdict.

https://youtu.be/rpSo4fu1rgM

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Morpheus: Take the blue pill or the red pill.

Neo: I'll take the third pill.

Morpheus: What colour is that?

Neo: You KNOW what colour is that.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

unlimited shrimp posted:

My thought while watching was "the creator is now irreverent about their creation"

yeah, pretty much. i kinda like that lana wachowski was just throwing shade or whatever but it's like... why even make it? sure, warner bros would've done it without you, and it would probably have been bland and boring and unnecessary, but i'm not sure a bad movie that only really gets points if you have a poo poo about the creator's personal angst about being asked to make a sequel to one of the most influential movies of all time is any better

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There were quite a few questionable bits, but boy howdy did I hate the bodies jumping out of the buildings. That was so poo poo and unnecessary.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Gonz posted:

A sitcom, but in the Matrix.

Seinfeld but in the Matrix.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I bet the whole pill thing sucks if you're colorblind

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Matrix Awakens was bizarrely better than the actual film, so why not. But don't be fooled: as we know from the piles of tie-in stuff with the last sequels, supplementary material can't actually "fill the gaps" in a narrative. It can only give us more narratives.

I think this would actually best though for Animatrix 2. I would rather have more weird side stories than trying to give background on small characters or fill in the history. Obviously, they could use it show what happened to Morpheus or the machine civil war, but I think stories on IO, the matrix video game, exiled programs and machines, or even Sati could be more interesting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

checkplease posted:

I think this would actually best though for Animatrix 2. I would rather have more weird side stories than trying to give background on small characters or fill in the history. Obviously, they could use it show what happened to Morpheus or the machine civil war, but I think stories on IO, the matrix video game, exiled programs and machines, or even Sati could be more interesting.

The Animatrix balanced this perfectly and I would hope an Animatrix 2 does the same. Have one or two stories that fill in what happened between Revolutions and Resurrections re: Morpheus/the machines, then have the rest just be cool stories about stuff in the world.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Speaking of, does this tie in to the MMO story like was theorized?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zesty posted:

There were quite a few questionable bits, but boy howdy did I hate the bodies jumping out of the buildings. That was so poo poo and unnecessary.

The movie suddenly becoming 28 Days / Weeks Later... was definitely one of the odder decisions in an already odd movie.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

unlimited shrimp posted:

Yes, werewolf jones is an analyst.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

unlimited shrimp posted:

I don't think it really contradicts it, which is already a huge kindness. Mainly you can more or less square what they say about morpheus with how he was in the game, or so I've heard

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

LinkesAuge posted:

But that also opens up another can of worms because the film clearly says that AIs are "real" and deserve to be treated as equals to humanity, not doing that was the whole reason why the Matrix exists in the first place. Is the argument now that there is a new "AI slave class"? So are these just dumb NPCs but still manage to be so perfect in their behaviour to fool real humans?
There are a lot of serious (bad) implications like you'd never know whether or not another AI is "real" if they can fake being "real" to that extent. That's why the whole "swarm npc"-angle is an obvious cop out because it doesn't resolve anything. You could have easily argued that agents like Smith in the first one are "just" programms who hunt humans but aren't deserving of being called sentient but then the sequels also blurred the line with "good programms" which we are told should be treated as equals and obviously are sentient.
But even if you accept that those NPCs weren't real then you have to ask if her feelings for them and her husband were real and the answers to that aren't really any better or create at least other issues/questions which could be interesting but the movie doesn't even want to explore so it is kind of wasted and more a distraction that can be read in a very negative way ("children are only there to enslave women"). So that subplot certainly lacked nuance and depth and felt like they wanted to give Trinity a hurdle she hat to overcome but they also didn't want to invest the time into her story to give it any depth and not make it this awkward (and why are we still doing the "stalking is love" trope in 2021?).

PS: The ending and the violence in that scene were also weird. I hate to use a "chud" argument but that scene would have been a huge yikes if a male protagonist would have acted this way or it is at least reserved for anti-heroes. They certainly wouldn't have used Neo to beat up a villain who isn't a threat at this point just out of revenge (even in this movie Neo is still very passive towards Smith despite everything he did to him).

moths posted:

I think there's some confusion in how the bots are presented - until "swarm mode" turns them into zombies they're equal to and indistinguishable from humans. They're capable of independent thought, and presumably love - yet they're less than human because the author tells us so.

That's, to me, a huge red flag that we're getting into some fash-adjacent poo poo.

Pretty much all of this. I get the subtext (that they are empty societal obligations tying her down to an identity she loathes), but the broader text, for three movies, a spinoff, and several videogames...is that AI are real people, robots are real people, and their memories and personalities are real. To suddenly have NPC's who are fake and disposable with fake memories who turn into zombies feels very jarring. Smith assimilated people, but the movies had the courage to admit that they were still people being blown away.

Also it would have been funnier to have them in the background of several scenes silently horrified as their parent/spouse is driving over people with their coder BF.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
"Loathes" is a pretty strong word. Unless I was distracted during some dialog, I didn't get the sense that she loathed her (from what we saw of it) extremely fantastic life. Hated her name, sure.

The poster who likened her choice to follow Neo to someone falling down the Qanon rabbit hole nailed it. Her situation is way different than Neo's alienated loner existence in this and the first film, and her breaking free from her shackles reads more like someone joining a cult. It isn't the triumph it's supposed to be.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
It’s her leaving a cult if anything. It’s already been pointed out, but we don’t see any loving family portrayed here like the wachowskis have expertly done with other films. The kids have maybe two lines and it’s only to pull her away, back into the control. And again, when she does decide to leave, her husband tries to murder her.

This is a woman going for her dreams. Not the dreams of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When they were planning their Trinity break out, I was kinda disappointed in how they showed them “convincing” one of the robots to help them was to just rip open its head and physically penetrate their brain. What could’ve been a cool visual in showing how matrix AIs gain sentience turned into a standard brain hijack scene.