Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Larry Parrish posted:

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=22246.0

Phase kites and shepherds. The shepherd has a Wasp wing and better turret arcs, and energy instead of ballistic. The kite (s) has active flare launcher instead of jets, the regular kite has the disruptor thing that overloads the target for like 1 second and a Terminator wing. It's supposed to be a bomber like the Mayasuran Mako.

Basically these exist entirely so I can start with a solo ship that I like to fly without being particularly good or needing a million support ships right away.

also i super like this and will probably mess around with it when i start a new game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

:orb:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the weaponized gate is cool but makes more sense as a weaponized coronal shunt considering we already have domain era tech for teleporting stellar energy.

speaking of which i wonder if we'll be able to hook up the coronal stations to our mini-network, or if we'll ever find out wtf powered those things

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
i've decided to be a drug traficking lord in my VIC game to make easy dollerydoos, pray for my butthole

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How well does the AI do with a Hyperion these days?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

My superfreighters are passively at 9 burn without that engine mod because of that blue + yellow skill but the question now is do i grab a tug and accept 10 burn rate because my capital ships will be at that or do i install the engine mod on everything and get a 11+ burn rate?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Arghy posted:

My superfreighters are passively at 9 burn without that engine mod because of that blue + yellow skill but the question now is do i grab a tug and accept 10 burn rate because my capital ships will be at that or do i install the engine mod on everything and get a 11+ burn rate?

speed caps at 20 outside of a slipstream so going higher than 10 base is really only useful if you need to keep signature low badly enough to avoid using long burns and tugs (or even having superfreighters at all tbh) are counterproductive for that

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
however: yes, I really do build in augmented drive field on everything lol. tugs are so expensive to run.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Being able to do >10 burn speed is good for operating in hostile space, because you can generally outmaneuver patrols reliably with it. It also increases your "moving slowly" speed so if you combine it with the other blue line skill you can run silent at almost normal speed.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I would use the murder portal at least once
:orb:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
does having burn >10 matter? is it at least higher acceleration?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

A FESTIVE SKELETON posted:

does having burn >10 matter? is it at least higher acceleration?

if you go above 20 your speed keeps increasing but your fuel consumption does not

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 31, 2021

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

10 burn turned to 20 with sustained burn and 20 base burn are COMPLETELY different

having a higher base burn lets you maneuver your fleet in the campaign much easier. the sustained burn skill makes turning a pain in the rear end

i try to keep my base burn as high as possible even when im not sneaking so i can explore systems much easier as i fly planet to planet

also, sustained burn makes it harder, if not impossible (until you turn it off), to get to research stations which are usually very close to the surface of stars

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

Arghy posted:

Never underestimate the utility of having several tugs to use, or leave somewhere for later usage, to aid in derelict recovery and overall transport speed facilitation!

There's some times where I keep about 12ish tugs at a staging base or home headquarters world, so I can quickly assemble a 20-burn interception fleet that doesn't need to go into travel burn, much more maneuverable and easier to interdict targets that way. 20 base burn is absolutely amazing and feels like a definite edge over your competition!

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Has anyone done the Hazard Mining Inc Manchester system and they wanna spoil it for me? I cannot figure out where to go after finding The relay in the asteroid belt that says to go north west

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Kris xK posted:

Has anyone done the Hazard Mining Inc Manchester system and they wanna spoil it for me? I cannot figure out where to go after finding The relay in the asteroid belt that says to go north west

Look up on the map. Like. Way, WAY up.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Raine posted:

insane mod idea im hallucinating after being unable to sleep all night from insomnia

mini gate ("ship")

only found as a rare bp and costs 50mil to produce, because the reasoning is that you have to build two of them.

one goes to your fleet equipped with maneuvering jets and a manned bridge, the other is heavily shielded and thrown into a star

the pilotable mini gate costs like 400 DP, has no mounts (maybe some jury-rigged smalls on the sides?), and has 3 burn with awful logistical costs. poo poo tons of armor. ship system has no flux cost. movement is slow capital-speed in a linear direction with very poor maneuverability.

the mini gate itself is shown top-down in battle (as a wall-like line instead of the full frontal circular shape) with massive thrusters on each end (nothing that would block the gate's aperture) to propel and maneuver the ship

this thing is huge too, "mini" is in reference to the absolutely collosal size of an actual domain gate

now, the ship system.

takes 20 seconds to charge up. movement locked during the charge and activation. activation lasts 5 seconds. cooldown is another 20 seconds.

so, the pilotable mini gate is linked to the one thrown into the star. the system activation does exactly what you probably now realize. basically everything in front of the mini gate for the full breadth of the gate's aperture extending the full length of the battlefield is BLASTED with a seemingly solid mass of solar hellfire. complete obliteration.

the existence and usage of this ship is possible lore-wise because the player is the only one with a jaanus device and is able to operate gates like this. the weaponization of the gates was an untested secret domain military project lost after the collapse, and even if the plans were stumbled upon they were disregarded because gates were thought to be rendered useless

pros of the ship:
1. hell yeah
2. HELL yeah
3. fun
4. goodbye stations
5. technically the most powerful ship ever possibly conceived
6. orb

cons:
1. ludicrously expensive in every single way
2. in mortal danger if a single frigate gets behind it
3. spectacular gimmick
4. i will never make this so essentially it would be a ton of work doing art and code and effects n poo poo good luck lol
5. orb

also, it makes all bombardments cost 0 fuel why not

Aside from sprinting it pretty (spriting custom large stuff takes forever if you want it pretty) this would actually be very easy to make in a barebones way.

So easy in fact that I made it for you in the most rudimentary way.

So no pretty sprite for the ship or gun, no fancy custom beam effect and no bombardment cost reduction. Just a vanilla hull and fake tachyon lance with dumb stats. The blueprint should in theory be dropped randomly in exploration but I sure have not bothered to test that or anything except laser color.

To finish it just grab some free to use sprite in the modding subforum and/or make one yourself/have one made for you with copious cut and paste in Photoshop. Then use the "Starsector Ship&Weapon Editor" that can be found pinned in the modding subforum to edit the hull etc. Custom fluff descriptions for your things can be modified in the descriptions.csv within the strings folder.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Look up on the map. Like. Way, WAY up.

Can you be more specific? I've rooted through all the systems and the only one of any note was Tabitha but other than a few defense fleets there was nothing of note.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Raine posted:

10 burn turned to 20 with sustained burn and 20 base burn are COMPLETELY different

If anyone ITT has actually tooled around in a fleet with 10 tugboats, let me know what it was like

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Kris xK posted:

Can you be more specific? I've rooted through all the systems and the only one of any note was Tabitha but other than a few defense fleets there was nothing of note.

In Tabitha there is an intact Guardian station which has the finale loot. You will need to poke around the system to find it but the description for it is pretty explicit about its value.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

In Tabitha there is an intact Guardian station which has the finale loot. You will need to poke around the system to find it but the description for it is pretty explicit about its value.

Thanks I just found it while rechecking Tabitha and actually engaging the defense not just flying around them. Definetly worth it tho.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
https://i.imgur.com/LSUZiQz.mp4

Sorry, but being a v-tuber girl is part of the contract.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

My problem is all my civvy ships are at burn 9 but my combat ships burn 8 so even if i made them faster it'd still be slowed down by the combat ships. I'm going for increased sensor range to help me explore faster since i already got 10 burn atm. I scored and got 5 fast cruisers from pirates with only 2 d mods each so i went from lashers and wayfarers to loving fast cruisers haha. I got the d mod removing skill too now so now it's time to explore!

The increased salvage skills are amazing and should be a must have, killing pirates in a bounty system will net you enough fuel to eventually explore it's awesome.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

https://i.imgur.com/LSUZiQz.mp4

Oh hey, that one mod tooltip saying that they still haven't made a Hololive portrait pack is finally obsolete

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love having a billion portrait packs lol. Sure sometimes it's an out of place anime person, or an elf, but sometimes it's a pirate with a metal cybernetic skull for a head, and that's cool.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I like the power dolls pack

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
If anyone ever needs to hide poo poo in this galaxy, the only place truly safe from me is planets near neutron stars because gently caress dealing with that.

I'm gonna have to find the fastest salvager/surveyor and try to bang em out.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I almost never look at the star type before jumping in unless I'm looking for something specific like research station or habitable planet.
This means I will always jump in, get absolutely blasted by neutron stars and pushed out into the void on zero supplies.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I hate the loot in the stars corona that poo poo always eats my supplies and causes me to end exploring early. It's lead me to putting solar shields on all my capitals+support ships to ensure i don't get hit as hard.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Pro tip: pop emergency burn to salvage things in coronas or event horizons. You want to spend as little time in the hurty zone as possible.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Kris xK posted:

If anyone ever needs to hide poo poo in this galaxy, the only place truly safe from me is planets near neutron stars because gently caress dealing with that.

I'm gonna have to find the fastest salvager/surveyor and try to bang em out.

Cunning use of transverse jump can help a lot when dealing with neutron stars.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SugarAddict posted:

What mod lets you change the portraits of officers?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My bunch of mods also came with a bunch of portraits, and while many of them clash in terms of art style, the only one that is truly wtf is a classic "big titty anime lady", and I live in fear that one day a lvl7, 5-elite officer will be assigned that portrait and I'll have to deal with it for the rest of that run.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Atopian posted:

Cunning use of transverse jump can help a lot when dealing with neutron stars.

Alternatively: neutron stars can get hosed. Whatever's in the system can stay there. Every time I come back to the game I end up jumping into a system with a neutron star, getting caught directly in the path of a beam, go "oh right, that's a thing" and then have to limp back to the nearest piece of civilization with my ships only mostly holding together.

We can tell that there's a fleet on the other side of a jump portal, I feel like we should be able to see the energy from a neutron star blasting out of it and get a warning about it.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Volkov Industrial Conglomerate.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The beam can be annoying but as long as you're quick to emergency burn out of it if you jump into it the supply cost shouldn't be too crippling. I find neutron stars are very worthwhile exploration targets because they frequently harbor research stations.

Getting a warning about the beam before jumping is a good idea though. You might want to post that on the game's forums. Alex is really good about being receptive towards feedback.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The mod he's using there is part of VIC, they have these buildings in their markets that let you change portraits for you and your officers. I think they offer a growth bonus too, but idk.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The safest way to enter a neutron star system is to transverse jump (or gas giant jump) into the shadow of a planet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Can't there just be a nice little mod that changes portraits? Not part of a big mod pack full of stuff I'm not that interested in? :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Oh man those VIC ships break like balsa wood. Not a fan, but also never really tried to figure out their play style.