Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Posters like you confuse me. You make incredibly boring insults in this thread and without outs for some kind of self-deprecation angle to make it purely light-hearted, but if that's questioned, then supposedly this is ~the video game shitposting thread~ and that kind of thing is just supposed to be there. However, if you're challenged in the slightest, you insinuate that people are taking things personally, and are talking about how it's kind of weird to focus on phone use while making GBS threads in this particular context because they are butthurt in their feefees. Just to set your mind at ease, I can assure you I'm fine on my end emotionally, but I remain perplexed regarding the thread. Could you clear it up for me? I'm just trying to understand the rules so I can play along. Are you bringing up the very recent death of Betty White and questioning my emotional state to suggest that I was too severe in my post, and using the very recent death of Betty White to show what lighthearted pokes are really about, or are you actually just as boring and thin-skinned as that would normally suggest?

Posting this unhinged screed about your very stable headspace is a bewildering choice, but don't let me stop you; posting like an insufferable moron is in fact the point of this thread even if by your own admission you're too stupid to realize it.

Related, Panzer Dragoon was a lovely game and the people who sing its graces are very presidential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The reason they don’t make Star Fox games any more is that none of them have more than an hour of content. I still love short but replayable games, but there are too many people who think “hours of my life wasted = value”

You’re not getting another Star Fox unless they find a way they can justify selling it for $60 (and Miyamoto finds another way to ruin the gameplay). Either it will be mostly open world like that Ubisoft game Starlink or it will be padded with different gameplay types like Star Fox Armada and 3D Sonic.

Anyway, the SNES games were better than 64. No awful characters, voice acting or story, and the controls felt heavier and more enjoyable. I even replaced the ROM chip on a Stunt Race FX cartridge so I could play Star Fox 2 on real hardware 15 years ago.

E: Oops, Ghost Leviathan said all this already:P

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 1, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, Panzer Dragoon Orta which was the last of the big rail shooters tries super hard to pad it out with an alternate story, alternate one off levels, challenges, etc. and its hoping you can squeeze 24 hours of gametime out of it but you can't.

Sin and Punishment 2 got slammed for it as I recall

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Very rude to imply I have the fortitude to run for office.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Star Fox could probably work with a rogue-lite wrapping, or alternatively with a high-effort AAA open world approach

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Star fox sucks
Zelda games suck
Nintendo IP sucks. they look very fun until you actually play them

Exceptions: starfox 64, I guess Mario rabbids didn’t suck

Also sonic loving sucks, every single one of them

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

QuarkJets posted:

Posting this unhinged screed about your very stable headspace is a bewildering choice, but don't let me stop you; posting like an insufferable moron is in fact the point of this thread even if by your own admission you're too stupid to realize it.

Related, Panzer Dragoon was a lovely game and the people who sing its graces are very presidential

Yeah...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Star Fox could probably work with a rogue-lite wrapping, or alternatively with a high-effort AAA open world approach

But why shoehorn Star Fox into an open world game where it doesn't belong, that's how you get bad games like Star Fox Adventures. Just make a new IP for your open world game

Oh right, Nintendo lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Star Fox must be reinvented and nobody would like a racing game where you travel over 1,000 km an hour because we had one of those 20 years ago.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The idea of Nintendo not making an F-Zero game in the era of HD graphics is so loving stupid I can't even think about it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

But why shoehorn Star Fox into an open world game where it doesn't belong, that's how you get bad games like Star Fox Adventures. Just make a new IP for your open world game

Oh right, Nintendo lol

funny thing that Starlink on Switch literally has Star Fox characters in it

It's not so bad but the toys to life gimmick killed it p hard, and the non-Star Fox characters are the most generic loving burger king kids club. (It's really funny watching the Star Fox characters with their signature hamminess act circles around them) The spaceship designs are neat though.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 1, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is there also a starfox in a wheelchair named wheels?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

QuarkJets posted:

I've been trying with you, dude. I don't really get what the difficulty is here. This "unhinged screed" poo poo, I don't even know what you're talking about. Like take two seconds and consider that I'm actually being genuine here, and I don't want to have this problem with you. Have I given you a reason to believe I'm not? If so, go ahead and tell me, and tell me what you're looking for so you don't post poo poo like "did Betty White's death make you feel bad today." If you think I'm genuinely stupid, you can tell me that, too. If you think that posting like an insufferable moron is the point, and you think I'm posting like an insufferable moron, then why are you giving me poo poo about it in the first place? That doesn't make any sense, so if all that's going on here is that you don't like the way I write posts, and you don't like me as a person for some reason, and we'll never get along because I will never understand you, then certainty about that would make things easier.

I'd like to believe there's more to you than that though, and I'd like to believe there's more to your capacity for perspective than thinking that having some difficulty with interpersonal understandings deserves this kind of escalating attack. You've now gone from "did Betty White's death hurt your feelings today" to telling me that I'm too stupid to realize that I'm posting like an unhinged, insufferable moron. What would you have me do to get along with you? Break it down into terms that even I could understand, please, because I'd like to avoid this kind of ridiculous escalation in the future.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

The idea of Nintendo not making an F-Zero game in the era of HD graphics is so loving stupid I can't even think about it

Nobody wants it unless its new and it being "having modern HD graphics" is not new according to Nintendo, publishers of like 200 loving mario party games

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Barudak posted:

Nobody wants it unless its new and it being "having modern HD graphics" is not new according to Nintendo, publishers of like 200 loving mario party games

and a LONG AWAITED METROID SEQUEL that is a downtone-palette 3D super metroid game and and and and and and and

I own a switch, specifically for an F-Zero game Nintendo is never going to make, and instead they're going to do BotW Pokemon and loving

MAKE F-ZERO

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Remember when you played star fox 64, a game about flying a space ship around and shooting lasers at bad guys, and they made you drive a lovely little tank through a train yard?

The submarine was cool if not a bit frustrating

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

more specifically, PAY THE PEOPLE YOU PAID AT SEGA TO MAKE F-ZERO TO MAKE A NEW F-ZERO

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

more specifically, PAY THE PEOPLE YOU PAID AT SEGA TO MAKE F-ZERO TO MAKE A NEW F-ZERO

Don't worry it'll show up as a one-off stage in Bayonetta 3 or something

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mario Party was cooked up by the hardware division to drive controller sales, that's why they released like a million of those but can't release the game that everyone actually wants: a gritty souls-like with my beau Geno as the main protagonist

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mario Kart 8 DX is apparently still a top seller on the Switch, so I doubt we'll see a new one for a while... so might as well make a new F-Zero to take advantage of clear interest in more casual racing games without entirely self-competing.

It can be tricky to tell what Nintendo is up to, since they tend to play their cards so close to their chest.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

They're afraid of making a game as hard as F-Zero GX in the era of trophies

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

signalnoise posted:

I've been trying with you, dude. I don't really get what the difficulty is here. This "unhinged screed" poo poo, I don't even know what you're talking about. Like take two seconds and consider that I'm actually being genuine here, and I don't want to have this problem with you. Have I given you a reason to believe I'm not? If so, go ahead and tell me, and tell me what you're looking for so you don't post poo poo like "did Betty White's death make you feel bad today." If you think I'm genuinely stupid, you can tell me that, too. If you think that posting like an insufferable moron is the point, and you think I'm posting like an insufferable moron, then why are you giving me poo poo about it in the first place? That doesn't make any sense, so if all that's going on here is that you don't like the way I write posts, and you don't like me as a person for some reason, and we'll never get along because I will never understand you, then certainty about that would make things easier.

I'd like to believe there's more to you than that though, and I'd like to believe there's more to your capacity for perspective than thinking that having some difficulty with interpersonal understandings deserves this kind of escalating attack. You've now gone from "did Betty White's death hurt your feelings today" to telling me that I'm too stupid to realize that I'm posting like an unhinged, insufferable moron. What would you have me do to get along with you? Break it down into terms that even I could understand, please, because I'd like to avoid this kind of ridiculous escalation in the future.

You walk by a playground and a kid calls you a poopyhead. Do you climb over the fence to have a genuine conversation with the child about why they feel that way about you?

It's the same situation here except the kids are way more stupid.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Was Pokkén Tournament any good? If so Nintendo should just let Bandai Namco make a Starfox Ace Combat seeing as All-Range Mode was the best part anyway.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Redezga posted:

Was Pokkén Tournament any good? If so Nintendo should just let Bandai Namco make a Starfox Ace Combat seeing as All-Range Mode was the best part anyway.

I thought all range mode was the coolest as a kid because in the mid 90s how could you not be blown away by 360 degrees of action. But playing the game today it’s the rail shooting segments that really hold up.

That loving Sned posted:

The reason they don’t make Star Fox games any more is that none of them have more than an hour of content. I still love short but replayable games, but there are too many people who think “hours of my life wasted = value”

You’re not getting another Star Fox unless they find a way they can justify selling it for $60 (and Miyamoto finds another way to ruin the gameplay).

I think the obsession with the $60 game is right on the mark. The reason that 2D schmups still sell enough to get made is that the people who make them have accepted that they have to sell them at a cheaper price. This is probably helped immensely by the rise of eshops/steam/downloadable games. Now it’s possible to sell on the cheap since you don’t have to manufacture and distribute. It’s probably helped a lot of other genre’s too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Redezga posted:

Its half baby's first Tekken and half ehhhhh its passable so basically without brand recognition it'd have been a completely forgotten experimental fighting game title instead of a great selling forgotten curio

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

Toshihiro Nagoshi said he was interested in making another one and was just waiting for a call from Nintendo. He's left SEGA now so the dream is dead.

galagazombie posted:

I think the obsession with the $60 game is right on the mark. The reason that 2D schmups still sell enough to get made is that the people who make them have accepted that they have to sell them at a cheaper price. This is probably helped immensely by the rise of eshops/steam/downloadable games. Now it’s possible to sell on the cheap since you don’t have to manufacture and distribute. It’s probably helped a lot of other genre’s too.

It's a shame because just look at what Nintendo will charge $60 for. Barely modified ports of individual games like Pikmin 3, Tropical Freeze and Skyward Sword, as well as Pokemon remakes that have had features taken out.

At least Pikmin 3 and Tropical Freeze are great games, but there's no way they should charge more than they originally cost on the Wii U, 5 years after they were released. It would be worth it if they at least included Pikmin 1 & 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns and Jungle Beat with them.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I dunno how to say this in a way that doesn't sound condescending but the fact is that bodily functions can differ depending on the body, and it can be stuff that people have no control over, or don't know the cause of so they don't know how to avoid the problems. For example, sometimes I get abdominal migraines and when that happens, I can expect to spend a significant amount of time on the can. Some people just have megadiarrhea or whatever and just want something to occupy their mind while their butt dry heaves. It's not great to think about, but it's also not something I'd go trying to shame people for. I dunno what Caesar Saladin is imagining I'm doing with my phone or which bathrooms I'm using but from the posting it reads like the expectation is I'm pulling out a phone for 30 minutes to play a game while taking a poo poo in a subway station's public stalls. I could be wrong, but if that was the intent, then lol and lmao

don't touch your phone in the toilet, you put that thing to your face, there's a reason why you wash your hands after you use the toilet

read a magazine or something

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I keep several magazine subscriptions just so people have something to read when they poop in my ivory tower

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've heard that the game is actually secretly a rhythm game, which is a problem in that it makes no effort to communicate this to the player.

More than that, the opening level of the game is absolutely nothing like the rest of the game.

But it was pretty.

E: video game aesthetics peaked in the early 00s.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 1, 2022

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Vic posted:

You walk by a playground and a kid calls you a poopyhead. Do you climb over the fence to have a genuine conversation with the child about why they feel that way about you?
I crush his sweet roll into the ground. Next question.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Vic posted:

It's the same situation here except the kids are way more stupid.

I see. Alright well, that's easy then. Thanks for this

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

don't touch your phone in the toilet, you put that thing to your face, there's a reason why you wash your hands after you use the toilet

read a magazine or something

Suck my balls

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

I see. Alright well, that's easy then. Thanks for this

signalnoise posted:

Suck my balls

Powerful redemption arc.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Signalnoise, are you okay?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

They're not not okay

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
The only thing I remember about PN03 was the main character's rear end moving to the beat. Always assumed it was a rythem game by that

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hector Delgado posted:

The only thing I remember about PN03 was the main character's rear end moving to the beat. Always assumed it was a rythem game by that

If you beat the game on super duper hard or something like that (I've never even made it half-way) you get to play as the same character but in a thong.

The only people I know who've legitimately enjoyed P.N.03 are people who also enjoy games like Ikaruga. Makes you thunk.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mikami’s an amazing director, so the only excuse I can find for PN03 is that he was busy with RE4 at the time, and convincing Capcom execs to let Suda 51 do whatever he liked with Killer7. He even insisted that all of the dialogue should be written by Suda himself.

It was probably a DMC2 situation where no-one experienced was at the wheel for most of the development.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Mikami’s an amazing director, so the only excuse I can find for PN03 is that he was busy with RE4 at the time, and convincing Capcom execs to let Suda 51 do whatever he liked with Killer7. He even insisted that all of the dialogue should be written by Suda himself.

It was probably a DMC2 situation where no-one experienced was at the wheel for most of the development.

Resident Evil 4 isn't that hot either. It's a much better Doom-clone than P.N.03 but it's still a bad one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, of course. I mean, if this is a real question, I'm seriously fine. It's a somewhat regular occurrence for me to need to ask directly when I can't figure out some social puzzle like this, because if I don't figure it out on my own, then asking is the option I have remaining, right? It's not the kind of coping I like having to do, but ultimately, it has given me better long-term outcomes. In any case, I had my last attempt to "get it" with "suck my balls" but as far as I can tell, that's not it either, or maybe I did get it but the followup is some other thing I don't get, but regardless, it's just not the thread for me, and that's okay. People are enjoying this thread, and it's good for people to enjoy things. :)