Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

pokeyman posted:

Can I ask a possibly stupid question and obviously you don't have to answer: was the middle-of-covid kid intentional and did you consider holding off? It sounds like, in retrospect, delaying might've been better for y'all.

Not answering for them, but I had a kid in the middle of covid. I have a teenager but it’s her first. My SO isn’t getting any younger, we were in a “now or maybe never” scenario, and we decided to do it now. Even if it wasn’t “never”, covid is likely lower risk than waiting a couple years and the birth complications age bring. She’s also in public sector and was able to take a lot of time off, which financially was more viable because covid led to us saving money.

There is never a right time to have kids, or rather, there is always a reason to delay having a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Can I ask a possibly stupid question and obviously you don't have to answer: was the middle-of-covid kid intentional and did you consider holding off? It sounds like, in retrospect, delaying might've been better for y'all.

Perfectly reasonable question actually. COVID kid was intentional. We always planned to have two kids and time was ticking away. Every year the medical outcomes for everybody get worse and worse so it was a real gamble. We figured the ~society~ would figure it out. We were wrong and kid two was born last February. Whoops!

She’s great, no regrets about having her, but the stark “what did we do” moments we expected in their adulthood around climate change arrived sooner and for a different reason.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I've got a kid that just turned two. I'd actually say this is the perfect time age/development wise that the chaos of covid could be for them. Not in school, and not a big circle of friends to hang with. Hopefully just daycare and parents, which is basically what would happen anyways.

In a year or two more, then the real hardships happen - I've got friends with older kids that I take pity on with the constant open/close of schools.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Happy new year everyone, stay safe

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Whatever. We deserve what’s happening to us. gently caress Canada.

Death to Canada!

Should old acquaintance beeee forgot, and neeeever brought to miiiiiind, should old acquaintance beeee forgot, and days of auld lang syyyyne....

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

If you say 'China' three times into a mirror at midnight, Ron Paul Atreides appears behind you and accuses you of demonising Xi

Poodlebear
Aug 24, 2006

but if y'all put
feathers on a dog
that don't make it
no chicken
the self loathing in this thread is reaching all time case counts

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I was an essential worker during the pandemic and now I wish china would invade canada and civilize this country. cuba can come too they seem pretty chill

then they can lock up all the D&D thread regulars so you can yell AVEEEENGE MEEEEE at your covid children through the concentration camp's chain link fence

I don't really wish anything bad for you

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Alctel posted:

If you say 'China' three times into a mirror at midnight, Ron Paul Atreides appears behind you and accuses you of demonising Xi

Really, it’s how you know you’re “in.”

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Our public service has no method, plan, or capacity to keep things functioning without just letting business go on as usual as much as possible, even knowing this will exacerbate the crisis.

We use to have plans, we used to stock pile, we used to have contingencies, there is a type of monster called a dipshit with an MBA that ruined all that...

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

apatheticman posted:

We use to have plans, we used to stock pile, we used to have contingencies, there is a type of monster called a dipshit with an MBA that ruined all that...

Precisely. Somewhere down the line everything became about “cutting waste” and we basically got rid of everything that wasn’t nailed down in the name of “savings”. The end result is that the one time we need all our emergency planning, we were caught totally unprepared.

Never forget also that our politicians are routinely getting angry calls from wealthy business interests whose profits are being hurt by lockdowns.

It never made sense to me why a small privately owned store for example has to close while a Wal-Mart can stay open. But that’s when I realized the Waltons can call a cabinet minister and make clear demands while that small store owner gets a staffer who gives them a boiler plate response and a runaround.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

unknown posted:

I've got a kid that just turned two. I'd actually say this is the perfect time age/development wise that the chaos of covid could be for them. Not in school, and not a big circle of friends to hang with. Hopefully just daycare and parents, which is basically what would happen anyways.

In a year or two more, then the real hardships happen - I've got friends with older kids that I take pity on with the constant open/close of schools.

Yeah we’re very lucky the eldest is just missing daycare and preschool days. poo poo could be way worse.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Yeah, whatever you loving say. Predictable. Delusional cope.

Our government lets tens of thousands of us die or get irreperable damage from a pandemic but rest assured, the governments that actually moved to control it were didnt really care.

Whatever. We deserve what’s happening to us. gently caress Canada.

Who said any government cared lol

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Faffel posted:

Who said any government cared lol

Their care levels seem to increase quite drastically if you're a tennis star that accuses one of their party bigwigs of rape, or a doctor who blows the whistle on a strange new respiratory syndrome you've encountered

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
If there's one thing China is very good at doing that's been serving them well, it's controlling the message. Both for COVID or any other subject, really. Too bad it comes with suppressing anything about Tiananmen Square, Uyghur genocide, Hong Kong democratic rights and other gross human rights violations.

Instead, we have social media, free speech and the liberty of getting your medical advice from youtubers. We couldn't possibly censor those, that'd be suppressing the free market of ideas and depriving poor social media giants of potential revenue!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Jan posted:

If there's one thing China is very good at doing that's been serving them well, it's controlling the message. Both for COVID or any other subject, really. Too bad it comes with suppressing anything about Tiananmen Square, Uyghur genocide, Hong Kong democratic rights and other gross human rights violations.

Instead, we have social media, free speech and the liberty of getting your medical advice from youtubers. We couldn't possibly censor those, that'd be suppressing the free market of ideas and depriving poor social media giants of potential revenue!

lol cope

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jan posted:

Yes, the only reason we have that evil free speech thing is because of revenue. You cracked the code there. Meanwhile please imagine a movement like BLM happening in China.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Madkal posted:

Yes, the only reason we have that evil free speech thing is because of revenue. You cracked the code there. Meanwhile please imagine a movement like BLM happening in China.

I’m not pro China or anything but Chinese police don’t harass black people for existing like American police do. There wouldn’t need to be a movement there for BLM.

An 1848 style liberal movement however is far more likely if not for the economic growth and political suppression tactics. China has the entire country on lockdown with their surveillance, firewall, social credit and political police system. Nobody can rebel against poo poo and most people wouldn’t want to anyway because even the poor are seeing their economic fortunes increase year over year. As long as that growth persists nobody is gonna complain. The Chinese government will do anything possible to sustain that.

Similarly when we look back at previous liberal revolutions they’ve always been preceded by periods of famine and economic malaise.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Maybe all systems that rely on unfair power hierarchies are bad.

Poodlebear
Aug 24, 2006

but if y'all put
feathers on a dog
that don't make it
no chicken
What does a fair hierarchy look like to you

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kraftwerk posted:

I’m not pro China or anything but Chinese police don’t harass black people for existing like American police do. There wouldn’t need to be a movement there for BLM.

An 1848 style liberal movement however is far more likely if not for the economic growth and political suppression tactics. China has the entire country on lockdown with their surveillance, firewall, social credit and political police system. Nobody can rebel against poo poo and most people wouldn’t want to anyway because even the poor are seeing their economic fortunes increase year over year. As long as that growth persists nobody is gonna complain. The Chinese government will do anything possible to sustain that.

Similarly when we look back at previous liberal revolutions they’ve always been preceded by periods of famine and economic malaise.

"Chinese police don't harass [minority groups]" is not really an argument I would make, my dude.

Poodlebear posted:

Any voluntary system of leadership? If the pandemic has proven anything, it's that it's actually quite necessary and in fact good for there to be leaders who provide leadership in some situations, because in a lot of cases we can't rely on a large group of individuals all independently coming to the correct choice for the common good. Leadership should always be subject to review and oversight, but hierarchy can be a good thing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Poodlebear posted:

Maybe they're anarchists?

Anyway, I always look to this thread for the freshest, most learned takes on Sino-Global relations.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

infernal machines posted:

Anyway, I always look to this thread for the freshest, most learned takes on Sino-Global relations.

Maybe we can get some of the climate threads excess moderation or something.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Canada, again, takes a back seat on the world stage

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Makes a lot of sense, thanks y’all.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Poodlebear posted:

One with better representation for marginalized groups and doesn't split social programs between municipal, provincial and federal as an excuse to underfund social programs that would literally boost the economy and cause less suffering.

but if I were able to articulate it better id be writing a book...

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

infernal machines posted:

Maybe they're anarchists?
An anarcho-syndicalist commune where members take turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

An anarcho-syndicalist commune where members take turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.

are we talking about plural systems again

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, the Chinese government isn’t terribly worried about “the public good” so much as loss of productivity and possible civil unrest.

I believe China's pursuit of effective covid handling is due to a belief in the public good. They've been repeatedly shown ready to sacrifice "productivity" (completely shutting down major shipping and production hubs and willing to deal with major supply chain disruptions if necessary) while trying to aim for covid zero.

e: the recent outbreak in Xi'an is pretty illustrative, from CSPAM:

quote:

chinese cities dont get locked down for no good reason post wuhan.
u may have heard of xi'an getting locked down due to a measly few hundred cases (total)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/24/chinese-officials-face-punishment-over-covid-lockdown-in-xian
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/china-lockdown-xi-an-1.6296105
but its because they can't establish a clear transmission chain and community transmission was occurring

source of xian outbreak has been traced to a flight from pakistan http://www.takungpao.com/news/232108/2021/1221/668754.html although first detection was actually from passengers on a flight from xian (shaanxi) to dongguan (guangdong) http://news.youth.cn/jsxw/202112/t20211224_13364736.htm

its almost quaint reading the reporting where the who, where, when and how of the virus spread is laid out so clearly.

reading comments on weibo and other chinese social media, the general sentiment i get is:

the most massive fuckup is that the transmission chain from the infected passengers to local cases remains unclear. due to this and also evidence of community transmission, the entire city of xian has to go into lockdown. there have been outbreaks in other regions with similarly high initial case counts that did not result in total lockdown

another fuckup was letting a couple who took a covid test in xian (shaanxi) drive down to shenqiu (henan) without waiting for the results that confirmed they were positive. people were maaaaaad at these fuckers

lots of debate on where the responsibility for not locking down the city earlier lies. there was an attempt to lockdown the city earlier, barriers etc were in place but it was aborted just mere hours later. the 2nd attempt at lockdown only began in earnest when cases were rising to almost a hundred a day. some said the under-resourced xian have always been lax in controlling covid. some blamed it on anti-lockdown folks who don't want their lives and businesses disrupted. some are blaming some unspecified higher-ups who blocked the 1st lockdown attempt out of concern for the ~economy~

the officials who hosed it up were held accountable and turfed out: https://www.cp24.com/world/chinese-officials-punished-over-covid-outbreak-that-led-to-xi-an-lockdown-1.5719034. also from that article:

quote:

China's aggressive COVID-fighting approach has crimped domestic travel and consumer spending, and caused occasional localized industrial disruptions.

Here's another response from 2020 that I remember:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1329183603448680448

I think the notion that a country that's invested so much into effective contact tracing, is able to mobilize and administer 10 million tests in one city in the space of a single week, and take hits to the economy to actually try and squash outbreaks isn't interested in "the public good" is as someone else said, purestrain cope.

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 2, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arivia posted:

are we talking about plural systems again

No, we’re making Monty Python references.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

mila kunis posted:

I think the notion that a country that's invested so much into effective contact tracing, is able to mobilize and administer 10 million tests in one city in the space of a single week, and take hits to the economy to actually try and squash outbreaks isn't interested in "the public good" is as someone else said, purestrain cope.

Sorry, you’re willing to look at the totality of Chinese public policy, legal systems, civil liberties, and conclude that because they’re doing lots of contact tracing, I.e. leveraging their surveillance systems, they’re all about the needs of the citizenry?

Also, define “cope” in this context, please.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

Sorry, you’re willing to look at the totality of Chinese public policy, legal systems, civil liberties, and conclude that because they’re doing lots of contact tracing, I.e. leveraging their surveillance systems, they’re all about the needs of the citizenry?

Yes.

quote:

Also, define “cope” in this context, please.

Posts like yours.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Gee I wish we had some of them concentration camps

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
How to tell you are in the D&D can pol thread.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

mila kunis posted:

Yes.

Posts like yours.

Thank you for the confirmation that you have nothing of value to contribute.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

TheCenturion posted:

IDK their post seemed to be more researched and had a point compared to yours.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

I guy I know, who's a wealthy realtor in the Ottawa area, has recently started posting a bunch of vague, "2022 is going to be the year that people wake up and stand up to tyranny" type stuff, and talking about how it's martial law in Canada. Just two weeks ago or so, he was reposting Rogan stuff to his instagram and I thought, jeez I hope this doesn't mean anything sinister. It's really gross and disconcerting to see how quickly the pipeline can suck people in, and I'm not sure how to (or if I even should) try to deradicalize this guy.

The other fun thing is he's posting this from the beach in Mexico, so it's vacation shots interspersed with QAnon adjacent crap

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

"China places productivity over the public good and squashing covid" is a ridiculous assertion with plenty of evidence suggesting otherwise, and I gave concrete examples. Your post was a moronic non sequitur and I gave it the response it deserved.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MNIMWA posted:

I guy I know, who's a wealthy realtor in the Ottawa area, has recently started posting a bunch of vague, "2022 is going to be the year that people wake up and stand up to tyranny" type stuff, and talking about how it's martial law in Canada. Just two weeks ago or so, he was reposting Rogan stuff to his instagram and I thought, jeez I hope this doesn't mean anything sinister. It's really gross and disconcerting to see how quickly the pipeline can suck people in, and I'm not sure how to (or if I even should) try to deradicalize this guy.

The other fun thing is he's posting this from the beach in Mexico, so it's vacation shots interspersed with QAnon adjacent crap
I know a few people who went from posting health and fitness stuff to anti-vaxx, "just asking questions", and "I'm leaving Canada for a country that actually respects personal freedoms" stuff pretty quickly. A number of other have made their IG, Twitter, etc. profiles private so I'm assuming they've gone that rabbit hole too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Freedom is when I can go to the local Tim Hortons maskless and vaccless and mouthbreathe all over the employees while I buy my triple triple.