Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Finding out this image exists is not a good start to the new year.

I mean sure my fault for checking auspol. but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
qld going back to 'work from home when possible'

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I cannot see how this could possibly go wrong!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Comstar posted:

Can't post this to r/australia for some reason. I don't know why.

Is this the normal price for a Rapid Antigen Test? I was assured by the Prime Minister and his party it wouldn't cost much. Perhaps it's a price rise for the new year?

How much does it cost elsewhere in Australia? They're free in the UK.

(Please be nice to anyone at the Till, the only one's responsible for this are the LNP and their corporate donors).
That's crazy. I went to a test site on Xmas Eve and they gave me a free pack. Saving the four spares for future scares now I suppose.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

When trying to bring normalcy back to Australia whilst at the same time trying to reduce COVID-19 cases we musn't let perfect be the enemy of good.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Right now the good seems to be the enemy of the politically expedient

Boojum
Aug 11, 2007
Is anyone aware of how the Qld CHO is selected?

I am genuinely interested in how we went from Doctor Young to this stone cold weirdo.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Boojum posted:

I am genuinely interested in how we went from Doctor Young to this stone cold weirdo.

Pit fighting

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Boojum posted:

The guy originally picked dropped out like a week before he was due to start.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Oh jeez, who could have seen this coming?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Today is the day! Vaccine mandates are now in force for >75% of jobs in WA.

Will there be mass unemployment and wide scale collapse of the economy due to the sheer number of people standing by their convictions?

Nope

Will there be a flood of people at the vaccination centres?

Maybe

Will the coworkers of the recently fired have to work harder to make up for it?

Nope, they were almost certainly dead weight

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Boojum posted:

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

starkebn posted:

Oh jeez, who could have seen this coming?

Oh wow, the curve is flattened. Good news!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

Oh wow, the curve is flattened. Good news!

No spike in cases if we don't test for them!

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Boojum posted:

Let's face it you'd have to be a weirdo to want the CHO job right now.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Boojum posted:

I'm not sure the selection criteria but I can show you how he got the job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RJFCOK8Hwo

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
High speed rail is back on the menu

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
High speed fail

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I've been watching Utopia the last few days, is this from the script?

Albanese posted:

We’ve already outlined how our new High Speed Rail Authority will kickstart this nation building project by updating the business case and building on Labor’s work from when we were last in government.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

starkebn posted:

I've been watching Utopia the last few days, is this from the script?

This is every election for the last 30 years

https://youtu.be/Rjvnpeqaj5s

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Is there anything in place in our democratic system to protect against Labor starting a bullet train project, spending billions, then the libs getting re elected and immediately gutting it?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

abigserve posted:

Is there anything in place in our democratic system to protect against Labor starting a fibre broadband project, spending billions, then the libs getting re elected and immediately gutting it?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

abigserve posted:

Is there anything in place in our democratic system to protect against Labor starting a bullet train project, spending billions, then the libs getting re elected and immediately gutting it?

I'd look it up, but my MTM based NBN internet connection keeps dropping out.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Melbourne-Sydney high-speed rail is easily the most unhinged political issue in this country. I know otherwise reasonable people from all over the political spectrum who think it's a slam-dunk no-brainer of an infrastructure project that we should've started building 10 years ago based on nothing more than fond memories about the one time they caught a high-speed train while backpacking in Japan or Spain.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Have you considered that choo choos are cool though?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Whilst I am not pushing particularly hard for the high speed rail links.

Money spent on public transport infrastructure, whether it is inter or intra city, is money well spent.

Also, as the poster above me says, choo choos are cool. We could call the first one Trainy McTrainface and many wholesome laughs will be had.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

freebooter posted:

Melbourne-Sydney high-speed rail is easily the most unhinged political issue in this country. I know otherwise reasonable people from all over the political spectrum who think it's a slam-dunk no-brainer of an infrastructure project that we should've started building 10 years ago based on nothing more than fond memories about the one time they caught a high-speed train while backpacking in Japan or Spain.

High speed rail rules and is good.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Long term if we want to decarbonise it's a lot easier to take trains than to take planes. So we choose whether to set up a train between Sydney and Melbourne to maintain that fast commuter link, or we remove the need for transport between them.

I'm not even particularly pro train, but as far as infrastructure goes it doesn't seem like a terrible move (as long as we use it to replace flights).

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

hooman posted:

Long term if we want to decarbonise it's a lot easier to take trains than to take planes. So we choose whether to set up a train between Sydney and Melbourne to maintain that fast commuter link, or we remove the need for transport between them.

I'm not even particularly pro train, but as far as infrastructure goes it doesn't seem like a terrible move (as long as we use it to replace flights).

"High-speed rail on Australia’s east coast would increase emissions for up to 36 years"

https://theconversation.com/high-speed-rail-on-australias-east-coast-would-increase-emissions-for-up-to-36-years-138655

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just like the idea of hopping on the train at Spencer St and getting off in central Sydney.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This is Australia, we need to build a toll road between Sydney and Melbourne where traffic crawls to a halt at peak time.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

I just like the idea of hopping on the train at Spencer St and getting off in central Sydney.

So do I, I just think there are probably better things we could spend a hundred billion dollars on

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.
Folks, might I recommend Parrahub instead?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
how much lube will this high speed railing use and will there be a break at half time with orange slices?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I decided years ago I would never fly between Brisbane and Sydney ever again unless there was some emergency that required me to get there asap. Going on road trips is so much more satisfying and enjoyable and I think trains would be similar. I’ve always wanted to go on the Ghan or the Australian Pacific. If I ever win the lotto I’m taking a year to drive around the country.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The press release says they're going to set up a new board to do a business case for Sydney to Newcastle

lol, lmao

This isn't meant to do anything but be an announcable

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I'll be overjoyed to come back in 10 20 30 years and eat crow when I can travel on a high speed train from Brisbane to Melbourne

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

wish they'd install air filtering in schools instead

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for 2021 (as compared to 2020):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Looking mild today