Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My favourate strategy guide was this huge tome of "secret" final fantasy 6 info. most of it was just fake or wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m remembering that strategy guide that recommended using a master ball on difficult to catch enemies like Fearow or Tentacruel.

Strategy guides were loving weird, lol.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was Muk

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

but wait..muk backwards...is..!!!!!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

no_tears posted:

Is Final Fantasy that one Mickey Mouse game where everyone fights for Princess Peach?

yes, and here is its official mobile game

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I love Doom 3 as a fun, big budget, haunted house horror game before Amnesia Dark Descent came out and every single horror game for the following decade had to use the exact same brand of mind numbingly boring stealth mechanics. Soma, of course, gets a pass.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

kntfkr posted:

I have a gamepro streetfighter 2 strategy guide with the ugliest character drawings in the world (still all better than the main character in SMTV), like they're just weird. I'm gonna see if I can find an example. Can't. Oh well, here's some of the cover.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

yes, and here is its official mobile game

This is like some weeb crusader kings

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vic posted:

This is like some weeb crusader kings

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

jokes posted:

I’m remembering that strategy guide that recommended using a master ball on difficult to catch enemies like Fearow or Tentacruel.

Strategy guides were loving weird, lol.

Hah, what foolish advice.

Obviously you chuck it at a rattata to assert dominance.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

abigserve posted:

Doom 3 was revolutionary at the time from basically every perspective and I remember having this big issue of some game magazine that was fully dedicated to Doom 3 and the technology/art behind it and I read it so much it fell apart

I remember it coming out and my computer choking on it but it was still rad, what were some of the facts you remember about the tech and art?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...-genshin-impact

shower ipads were a more innocent time

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Hector Delgado posted:

Maybe. I've played thru Killer7 like 4 times and still have no idea what's going on

Watch SuperGreatFriend’s LP. He also goes through the book Hand in Killer7 which has details like Kun Lan being born a fully-grown man and running multiple criminal organisations by the age of 3.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

If this is the Sonic X comic I think it is it got cancelled about when the artist got busted for tracing

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If this is the Sonic X comic I think it is it got cancelled about when the artist got busted for tracing

It could be, but I prefer to believe no-one chose to trace... that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beartaco posted:

I love Doom 3 as a fun, big budget, haunted house horror game before Amnesia Dark Descent came out and every single horror game for the following decade had to use the exact same brand of mind numbingly boring stealth mechanics. Soma, of course, gets a pass.

Frictional gets a pass in general cause they mostly invented it, still do it better than most games and their games are otherwise really good anyways and Soma is a goat.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

X JAKK posted:

My poops rocket out of me like a potato gun, are yall all gulping opiates or what

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

kntfkr posted:

I have a gamepro streetfighter 2 strategy guide with the ugliest character drawings in the world (still all better than the main character in SMTV), like they're just weird. I'm gonna see if I can find an example. Can't. Oh well, here's some of the cover.

Pictured: one of the street fighters figured out how to play the brown note

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Everyone knows that Sonic's favorite food is chili dogs, but what is Mario's favorite food? Is it cake, as hinted at in the opening of Super Mario 64? Or perhaps, true to his New York Italian background, he prefers the gabagool (capicola).

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's mushrooms, obviously.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Disco Pope posted:

It could be, but I prefer to believe no-one chose to trace... that.

I mean more that was probably one of the panels that wasn't traced, and it shows.

Doctor J Off posted:

Everyone knows that Sonic's favorite food is chili dogs, but what is Mario's favorite food? Is it cake, as hinted at in the opening of Super Mario 64? Or perhaps, true to his New York Italian background, he prefers the gabagool (capicola).

Back in the cartoons, which are equal to the canon going on about Sonic's chili dogs, pretty sure he and Luigi were obsessed with pizza and/or spaghetti. Doesn't he dream of spaghetti in Mario 64 and/or Odyssey?

Spaghetti and mushrooms, clearly.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
It’s cum

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Koopa boiled in it's own shell while still alive. Mario is one sick gently caress

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

itry posted:

It's mushrooms, obviously.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean more that was probably one of the panels that wasn't traced, and it shows.

Back in the cartoons, which are equal to the canon going on about Sonic's chili dogs, pretty sure he and Luigi were obsessed with pizza and/or spaghetti. Doesn't he dream of spaghetti in Mario 64 and/or Odyssey?

Spaghetti and mushrooms, clearly.

Mushrooms seems like the obvious answer, but if you notice every time he takes one he grows to double size, gets weird psychedelic powers, or is just bouncing all over the place. I think he's taking the mushrooms recreationally rather than savoring the flavor.

I looked up "Mario dreams of spaghetti" and it's from Odyssey. Case closed, Mario prefers spaghetti and gravy, thread success

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
i swear i thought he muttered "spaghetti" in his sleep in Mario 64

fake edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vtYHPSTUho

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is wario an Italian plumber too? he wears a plumbers hat

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

galagazombie posted:

Strategy Guides (the officially licensed ones) were the only way to see all the cool concept art and official artwork back in the day. Now a days they sell art books or you can just copy paste the jpegs from online. Hell even fanart can be actually high quality these days. But it was mind blowing to see like, Amano’s art in an FF guide or a bunch of “high quality” cg renders in the Starfox 64 guide back when the only thing you could see was boxart (which America always ruined) and your friends terrible scribbles on a piece of college ruled he made in math class.

I got the official Ocarina of Time guide secondhand from somebody and always wondered why the page with a big drawing of adult ruto giving a sultry look was always sticky.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I bought a strategy guide for Riven and the first page said something like 'You do not have to understand this guide, just follow it and you will finish the game' - And they were right, it just told you where to go, what to do to win a puzzle, and by the end I had zero clue wtf happened

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Devils Affricate posted:

I'm suddenly reminded of the notorious Brady Games Official FFXI (that's XI, not IX) Strategy Guide. Not only was the information it contained already largely out of date by the time the game was released in NA (and destined to only grow more so, what with the game being an MMO that receives a constant flow up updates, balance changes, and expansions), but a lot of it wasn't even correct at the time it was written. Most MMOs can't be fully played/experienced without a huge time investment, and FFXI was a particularly demanding game in this regard. Thus there was no possible way the guide could have been written from a place of real experience, so it presented players with hilariously noobish advice, which ended up creating a scourge of new players who proudly used Red Mage as their subjob for Monk and then argued about it with people who tried to tell them that there were much more effective options. "Brady Games noob" eventually became used as a pejorative by the community.

ITS MY 13 DOLLARS A MONTH I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into a crab

Thinking back on it it was also a game where having previous knowledge of FF was a sure fire way to make a crappy character which is pretty funny. I started with a bunch of people who wanted to recreate job combos from 4 and 5 and I think most of them were smart enough to give up on stuff like PLD/DRK WHM/RNG or SMN/BLM once they understood the game, but every once in a while you'd run into someone who was absolutely sure their terrible decision making would pay dividends

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 2, 2022

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

X JAKK posted:

I got the official Ocarina of Time guide secondhand from somebody and always wondered why the page with a big drawing of adult ruto giving a sultry look was always sticky.

Well, at least it was the adult version

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

That loving Sned posted:

Watch SuperGreatFriend’s LP. He also goes through the book Hand in Killer7 which has details like Kun Lan being born a fully-grown man and running multiple criminal organisations by the age of 3.

I'm gonna look this up, thanks.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Doctor J Off posted:

Mushrooms seems like the obvious answer, but if you notice every time he takes one he grows to double size,

He only moves closer to the camera. He stays the same size.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

tuo posted:

He only moves closer to the camera. He stays the same size.

Woah

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doctor J Off posted:

It's pussy

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm gonna try Pathfinder: Kingmaker since I got it free on Epic. Any HOT TIPS or things I should know???

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Meme Poker Party posted:

I'm gonna try Pathfinder: Kingmaker since I got it free on Epic. Any HOT TIPS or things I should know???

HOT TIP: Play a different cRPG instead.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW: https://pathfinderkingmaker.fandom.com/wiki/Swarm

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Meme Poker Party posted:

it's boring

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

mushrooms are sentient lifeforms with their own nation-state in mario's world. A nation-state he is the champion defender of. To eat mushrooms would render mario a fiendish monster and the true villain of the mario games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Floodixor posted:

I remember it coming out and my computer choking on it but it was still rad, what were some of the facts you remember about the tech and art?

It's been a long time but the biggest thing was the lighting engine and bump mapping. I remember there was an example where a fire was lighting up the front of a zombie and it was like flickering and casting shadows on the cuts on his face and thinking "Ah yes, videogames are real life now"

From an art perspective they had all these great pics of the original clay models they used to build the different enemy designs and it was really cool to me to see these really inventive and creative demons get turned from clay into the game