Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lumbermouth posted:

poo poo that reminds me that I gotta buy that Versus Blu Ray that Arrow put out. Tak Sakaguchi is the coolest motherfucker alive and so is everyone else in that movie.

Ya I have heard about that one, its on my watchlist. Do you know which other movies he is the main character in ? I tried looking at his imdb but he has lots of side roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Don't watch Crazy Samurai Musashi it's the worst poo poo ever

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Ulio posted:

Ya I have heard about that one, its on my watchlist. Do you know which other movies he is the main character in ? I tried looking at his imdb but he has lots of side roles.

Osaka badass (a yakuza flick), deadball (a weird splatter comedy), death trance (closest to versus, I think: fantasy martial arts stuff) are the ones I remember.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dokmo posted:

Osaka badass (a yakuza flick), deadball (a weird splatter comedy), death trance (closest to versus, I think: fantasy martial arts stuff) are the ones I remember.

Death Trance is extremely similar to Versus in the sense of being a series of fight scenes loosely connected by a plot and outlandish characters. It's directed by Yuji Shimomura, who was the action director on Versus and the cut scene director on at least a couple of the Devil May Cry games.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I finally watched Chocolate , directed by the guy who did the tony jaa thai stuff, about an autistic chick who learns to fight watching jaa's movies

i did not expect it to go nearly as hard as it did, it started with jackie chan style setpiece fights in cool places but dear god how did they film the final action scene on the side of a roof, it seemed like it was just stuntmen plummeting off to get crushed

edit oh my god the outtakes holy christ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMn4X8y_VY8 2:48 or so good lord

I've never seen a blooper reel that made me more morally conflicted. Jesus christ, I think my mind was telling them it wasn't worth it.

Great movie tho.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Boco_T posted:

Don't watch Crazy Samurai Musashi it's the worst poo poo ever

Hah thats one of the ones I have seen. It definitely is super repetitive. Man the concept is so cool but I don't understand why they made it a one shot. If the action was more like Reborn it could have been much more entertaining.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That film always seemed like an art house experiment. I bet it's more fun to to watch that film and figure out the choreography than it is to watch it. I heard the final duel, where there's actual editing, was super good though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just looked it up. One 77 minute fight scene being the movie sounds baller as gently caress. But I guess its boring as hell to watch?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Shageletic posted:

Just looked it up. One 77 minute fight scene being the movie sounds baller as gently caress. But I guess its boring as hell to watch?
its mostly just him touching people extremely softly and they fall over

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jimbot posted:

That film always seemed like an art house experiment. I bet it's more fun to to watch that film and figure out the choreography than it is to watch it. I heard the final duel, where there's actual editing, was super good though.

Ya I was trying to figure out how the samurai were attacking him and in which we he would kill them. Seems like he would look at them in order and they would attack because there is no way that was all scripted in such a long shot.

Also if you are open to animation, I would recommend people Baki on Netflix, that poo poo is crazy. It doesn't have the best choreographed animated fights but it's just pure testosterone.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 3, 2022

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
what is the best action anime (ideally streaming somewhere)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I like Megalobox, if you're in the mood for grounded, cool action.

e: oh yeah Castlevania

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 3, 2022

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kenshin Origins(live action) is a decent samurai action flick, it's not constant action but the action scenes are really well done.

got some chores tonight posted:

Sword of The Stranger is probably the best animated action stuff. Hajime No Ippo is good but not sure where either of these stream. Those are two non superpower shows I can think of.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Shageletic posted:

I've never seen a blooper reel that made me more morally conflicted. Jesus christ, I think my mind was telling them it wasn't worth it.

Great movie tho.

Thai movie stunts, where Safety is just a word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ksXYZe_GLk&t=471s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ksXYZe_GLk&t=4983s

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
One Shot is sick nasty (good), just an unexpectedly good film as well. I'm on the hunt for more action-horror like that and The Night Comes For Us.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Holy poo poo! :prepop:

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

got some chores tonight posted:

Spriggan (the 1998 one)

Also Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Ninja Scroll

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 4, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ninja Scroll is one of the best animes of all time, honestly.

I also dearly love Cyber City Oedo 808, 3 episodes about 45 minutes each, each one dealing with the story of a cyber criminal trying to reduce their ridiculous sentences by doing mercenary work for the cops. An extremely rare anime 'series' in that it leaves you wanting more instead of getting bored a dozen+ episodes in. The UK dub is iconic because of the over the top script changes and the soundtrack change which whips rear end. The original Japanese version is honestly not great. It was finally released on blu ray last year too!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The UK dub+soundtrack for Cyber City Oedo 808 makes it the coolest anime ever made, there's BETTER anime than it, but it will always be the coolest to me.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ninja Scroll is one of the best animes of all time, honestly.

I also dearly love Cyber City Oedo 808, 3 episodes about 45 minutes each, each one dealing with the story of a cyber criminal trying to reduce their ridiculous sentences by doing mercenary work for the cops. An extremely rare anime 'series' in that it leaves you wanting more instead of getting bored a dozen+ episodes in. The UK dub is iconic because of the over the top script changes and the soundtrack change which whips rear end. The original Japanese version is honestly not great. It was finally released on blu ray last year too!

Ninja Scroll is fantastic action-wise, but it has multiple rapey scenes that are very uncomfortable.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

VROOM VROOM posted:

One Shot is sick nasty (good), just an unexpectedly good film as well. I'm on the hunt for more action-horror like that and The Night Comes For Us.

Headshot is from the same stunt group that did The Night Comes for Us and is pretty awesome and brutal.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Watched The Fable and its sequel on netflix, and if you want to see a couple of impressive action setpieces just watch the end of those movies.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

dokmo posted:

Watched The Fable and its sequel on netflix, and if you want to see a couple of impressive action setpieces just watch the end of those movies.
How are those movies aside from those scenes? I like what I've read of the manga, but I feel like the humour might not translate well to live action

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

It was fine. Low key comedy with some character stuff. The stuff between the action scenes didn't really stand out to me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Did anyone else think John Wick 3 was Utter nonsense?

The action is still great, and some scenes have such poetic carnage that look, I'm still gonna give it two-and-a-half stars, but the threads are starting to show on this particular teddybear.
We get even more of the Table, and who's under it, and who's above it, but all of it is just nonsense. None of the 'rules' are abided by or make sense, the Arbiter is a cartoonish figure instead of a menacing Justicar, and the Sultan is a step too far into cartoon comic-book land for me to swallow.
There's also the matter of logistics. I'm not talking about reloading guns or the fact that ninjas dance menacingly around Wick before attacking 1-by-1; I could care less about that. I'm talking about the sheer number of bodies Wick and his crew have put in the ground. There is just no way there are that many brutal assassins and wetworks squads, ready to deploy at a moment's notice or stationed in Morocco or whatever - and if there are, there aren't anymore, because Wick has now killed well over 200 people and it's getting honestly pedestrian.

The best John Wick moments are when he's put to the test by a fellow master - Cassian in the second movie's extended fight/chase being the highlight - not when he's gunning down mooks by the dozen, especially in the incredibly video-gamey way he has to target their weak spot for max damage as in this film's final setpiece.

It's all too much and too loud for not a lot of benefit. Yeah, you put John Wick through the wringer and he survived and won, but he's got diagetic plot armor, what did you expect?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah the plot side of John Wick 3 is pretty lame although I have zero interest in the tactical realism aspect of it (beyond the sick reloading, judo throws, and how they actually make shotguns work as something more than a blunderbuss). My main thing is dwelling on the machinations of the assassin world, which is just the same old petty "lords holding court and jockeying for position" poo poo we've seen a zillion times. This is the problem with mystery box storytelling. They eventually open the box and you find out the gold coins are just foil over cheap chocolate.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 4, 2022

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

B-Rock452 posted:

Headshot is from the same stunt group that did The Night Comes for Us and is pretty awesome and brutal.

Oh yeah, I've seen most of the stuff from the people that did The Raid etc. and Headshot is probably the closest of those to The Night Comes For Us in its sense of tragedy, bleakness, and inevitability (which is what makes its ending so funny). It's a very particular thing I'm picturing but sequences like (Night Comes)the death of White Boy Bobby or (One Shot)the one guy's drawn-out death where the camera sticks on him until the very end or all of the setup and payoff around the bomber where you know what horrible thing is going to happen but want to keep believing otherwise until the very end really stick with me. The Raid movies have this too to a lesser degree, with (1)Mad Dog v. Jaka and (2)the ambush of Prakoso.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Shrecknet posted:

The best John Wick moments are when he's put to the test by a fellow master - Cassian in the second movie's extended fight/chase being the highlight - not when he's gunning down mooks by the dozen, especially in the incredibly video-gamey way he has to target their weak spot for max damage as in this film's final setpiece.

I feel like 3 has more of this than any of the other movies, which is why I like it the best. The first one is basically entirely him headshotting goons

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

How can you hate 3? 2 and a half stars?! Sure it has an uneven 2nd act, with the big Moroccan shoot out being kind of superfluous really to what is actually going on and just an excuse to do the dog stuff. HOWEVER I contend the first big chase sequence is amongst the best that JW has to offer. The knife museum brawl alone is worth this movie existing.

Similarly the third act is among some of the best of the JW action sequences. The armored goon squad fight is great because it provides an enemy (even if unrealistic ) that Wick cannot just brutally and efficiently headshot and the frustration he and Lance Reddick show is great and bringing out the slug shotguns is a really fun hell yea moment.
Then finally, Mark Dacascos as a JW fanboy turned final boss + the raid guys is a great fight. Even though action fans know that the raid boys are going easy on keanu and its about half the speed of their "normal" - its still very fun, and any time Wick fights someone but lets them live is exciting.

Like I think these fights are all much better than the catacombs stuff in JW2, or the end of JW1. JW1 was mostly about the revelation of cleanly shot, focused, and tightly choreographed action being revived after a decade of shakey cam filth. The house fight and the spa clear out were the best of it. JW2's stuff with Cassian was great, and I liked the montage of the various dopey assassins. The ending house of mirrors is a banger of course and the concept of the museum fight is fun (having to constantly grab new weapons) though gets a little repetitive.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 4, 2022

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I could watch the opening fight against Boban Marjanovic all day. I love it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Chapter 3 also has the Knife Museum, which is my favorite set piece in the entire series. Just the longest and most violent joke ever filmed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chapter 3 rules but 2 is my favorite easily. 3’s only issue with me is that the finale is a bit too much like 2 with the mirrors and the final two fights are a bit similar.

Other than that it kicks rear end

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The end of Chapter 3 was perfect for me, a person who loving HATES glass.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think Chapter 3 does naturally suffer from sequel fatigue because Wick can't just take out four or five guys in his "normal" way anymore, we've seen that too many times at this point. Now he has to have a fight in a knife museum and fight ninjas on motorcycles, and kill guys on horseback, etc. Most of that stuff is great but there's definitely a feeling of desperation about it where we're now headed into the fourth movie and they're gonna have to somehow top themselves again. Casting Donnie Yen was a good start in convincing me that they might actually be able to do it though.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Chapter 3 has the best action and set pieces but despite seeing it like 20 times I legit don't really remember the plot at all. I couldn't tell you why he goes to Morocco or ends up in the desert but holy poo poo Mark Dacascos is just freaking awesome in it and yeah the knife museum is hilarious and awesome.

Basebf555 posted:

Casting Donnie Yen and Scott Adkins was a good start in convincing me that they might actually be able to do it though.

Edit: fixed that for you...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The plot is that John got thrown out of the secret society for killing that dude on Continental grounds at the end of Chapter 2. So he goes to Morocco for an audience with the assassin head honcho who has the power to let him back in the club.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah the plot side of John Wick 3 is pretty lame although I have zero interest in the tactical realism aspect of it (beyond the sick reloading, judo throws, and how they actually make shotguns work as something more than a blunderbuss). My main thing is dwelling on the machinations of the assassin world, which is just the same old petty "lords holding court and jockeying for position" poo poo we've seen a zillion times. This is the problem with mystery box storytelling. They eventually open the box and you find out the gold coins are just foil over cheap chocolate.

Man John Wick 3, for me was the first movie in a forever long time that just had THE BEST shotgun sounds. Just big meaty DOOM boomstick booms. What massively took it away from me was just how loving many shots he was supposed to be firing off making it worse by having the focus of some of those scenes be how he's reloading his shotty. Then I can't help but count off how many shots he's supposed to be taking vs skulls he's turning into watermelon jelly. And it completely takes me out of the action.

Finally though someone busts out the prison slug shotgun ammo and it's a grisly amazing death for the fodder. That poo poo hurts with that kickback.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Re JW3: I think it's obvious in the movie that the raid guys are sandbagging against John Wick

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Re JW3: I think it's obvious in the movie that the raid guys are sandbagging against John Wick

It's even canonical that they let him stand back up and fight at his speed out of general assassin respect. Figured it was a bit of a nod to reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

The plot is that John got thrown out of the secret society for killing that dude on Continental grounds at the end of Chapter 2. So he goes to Morocco for an audience with the assassin head honcho who has the power to let him back in the club.

I still LOL that he does that and then breaks his reinstatement almost instantly.

I hope Mark Dascascos can return somehow he's so fuckin' awesome. Like just have him be back and fine no explanation.

Is the Continental tv series till happening? I liked the idea of it being about whatever assassin shenanigans and then having Keanu cameo now and then in a flashback or having each season finale being the characters having to deal with the fallout of John Wick killing like 400 people because someone ate his nachos or whatever.