Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I live in Japan. We call them cartoons thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean cartoons are anime yes

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The bikini girl is 17 years old, pervs.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Aphrodite posted:

The bikini girl is 17 years old, pervs.

This is not the dunk you think it is

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Japanimation" is the preferred nomenclature.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Isn’t there a whole forum for that stuff? That’s half this thread now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mea isn’t that on you for not posting posters?

At least grip weed is actually doing that

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
but all of us are movie posters :confused:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember a guy I knew in high school got really bent outta shape about "japanimation" because he parsed it as "jap animation" instead of "japan imation"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mea isn’t that on you for not posting posters?

At least grip weed is actually doing that

I'm not thrilled with how many of the positive statements people make about me begin with the phrase "at least"

https://twitter.com/zachifurnasty/status/1477854154722885638?s=20

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
S'créme

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I'm not thrilled with how many of the positive statements people make about me begin with the phrase "at least"

I think if you took the two seconds of effort to tell us what something is when we can't read it your shtick might be better-received

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hexwren posted:

I think if you took the two seconds of effort to tell us what something is when we can't read it your shtick might be better-received

That's supposed to a poster for the move Scream but he bought it off an unscrupulous Amazon seller who messed up the spelling so it says Screm

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Gripweed posted:

Gripweed posted:

That's supposed to a poster for the move Scream but he bought it off an unscrupulous Amazon seller who messed up the spelling so it says Screm

Now these are good. A+ material

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Gripweed posted:

I feel that screm poster was in some way bait to get this off, and I applaud you for it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The poster didn't get me off.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Genuinely pissed at this movie for not doing the nose. gently caress this movie and everyone involved in it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Someone was paid to write that tag line lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Someone was paid to write that tag line lol

A lot of loving people were paid to work on a Cyrano de Bergerac movie where Cyrano de Bergerac has a normal sized nose.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I kept scrolling and was disappointed it didn't end up being the Toxic Avenger reboot.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 4, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gripweed posted:

A lot of loving people were paid to work on a Cyrano de Bergerac movie where Cyrano de Bergerac has a normal sized nose.

i have news about peter dinklage for you

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

flatluigi posted:

i have news about peter dinklage for you

Yeah I remembered the Game of Thrones thing too. The man has a history of taking roles with unusual noses and refusing to wear a fake nose for them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Are you also worked up that it's a film instead of a play? Was Romeo + Juliet upsetting because it wasn't Elizabethan anymore?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"Hold up I just found out that they remade West Side Story and didn't include ANY of the original broadway cast. What the gently caress?"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What do you find more upsetting in the De Palma Scarface, that the main character is Cuban instead of Italian or that the actor playing him is Italian instead of Austro-Hungarian?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gripweed posted:

Genuinely pissed at this movie for not doing the nose. gently caress this movie and everyone involved in it.

Do we really need to retell this story? Wishbone already did it perfectly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

What do you find more upsetting in the De Palma Scarface, that the main character is Cuban instead of Italian or that the actor playing him is Italian instead of Austro-Hungarian?

I'm pretty sure that in both versions of Scarface, the main character had a scar on his face.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Baron von Eevl posted:

Are you also worked up that it's a film instead of a play? Was Romeo + Juliet upsetting because it wasn't Elizabethan anymore?

it's upsetting because it reminds that @fart's thread where his Baz Luhrmann-rear end footwear got roasted was deleted

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

I watched the traiker for this out of morbid curiosity and I have to share this actual quote from it:

-Are we dead?
-No, we are just inside the moon.
-That might be the greatest sentence anyone's ever said.

I do not have high hopes for this movie.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
We love da Moon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It looks just barely more expensive than one of those Asylum movies

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I'm pretty sure that in both versions of Scarface, the main character had a scar on his face.

I don't know poo poo about Cyrano de Tom Bergeron, but if the character has a big nose then I think it's a completely reasonable thing to demand out of a Hollywood adaptation. The comparisons to race don't make sense to me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker (2021)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

I don't know poo poo about Cyrano de Tom Bergeron, but if the character has a big nose then I think it's a completely reasonable thing to demand out of a Hollywood adaptation. The comparisons to race don't make sense to me.

he was a real guy too but i dont know if the real guy had a famously big nose.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

Not only does the character have a big nose, the actual human being Cyrano de Bergerac had a big nose. And to the best of my knowledge, every film adaptation has kept the big nose.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

So this has got me looking into adaptations of Cyrano de Bergerac, and in the 1980s they did an adaptation set in modern-day(well, 80s, but it was modern-day at the time) small town America. AND GUESS WHAT FEATURE OF THE ORIGINAL THEY KEPT

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Those noses make me uncomfortable.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Mister Chief posted:

Those noses make me uncomfortable.

sometimes a nose is just a nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yes, the nose is a very common element of the story and one that is carried over across adaptations. This is obviously subverting that by having the character be a little person with a more or less typical nose. I'm not worried about the violating the sanctity of this Cyrano adaptation by changing a feature of the character, I'm more worried that it's by the guy that did Pan, where Hugh Jackman snorts pixies and his child slaves sing nirvana songs to him.