Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

MiracleFlare posted:

Luckily I still have the links saved from when I showed some friends: The last time Estelle thought about marriage with Wilbur, about two years ago and shortly after he ruined a double date out of drunken jealousy that his ex (that he dumped for a younger hotter woman) now had a younger hotter man.

Oh my God that was two years ago. (The boxing Wilbur babies imagery was very good and memorable, though I still don't think it makes a lot of sense in terms of the characters/story.)

Anyhow yes this storyline sucks a butt and I am going to be shocked if we steer away from the "I dunno, stick it out with this obnoxious dick you don't have that much chemistry with" ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Vargo posted:

Doesn't this dude hate Mark? Is he the guy Mark stole the laptop from? Or the guy that put him in a livestream boxing match? Or both?

The last time we saw him he was storming out of a collab because he didn't know the other side was pushing NFTs. He's probably trying to get some two-fisted (and deniable) environmental justice delt. Jules is not subtle.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I didn't vote in the thread poll because the answer is E: All of the Above.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
I’m not a great writer, it’s why I post pictures, but here goes:

And He Did! January 20, 1919
Created by J.C. Henderson, “And He Did!” began its run in 1913. It is the original “gently caress Around and Find Out”. I frequently change the title to “And He Died!” because, well, he dies.

Outbursts of Everett True January 25, 1919
Created in 1905 by A.D. Condo and running until 1927, “True” was one of the most popular features of its day. The WWI era strips did not go over well in this thread for good reason. Post-war, topics have returned (mostly) to pre-war themes.

Gay and Her Gang February 4, 1930
One of the “flapper girl” strips from the late 1920s, “Gay” stands out with well done word-play and excellent put-downs. Created by thread favorite Gladys Parker, the strip ended in March of 1930.

Oaky Doaks July 6, 1936
“Oaky” ran from 1935 to 1961. It’s the only comic I post with a continuing plot, and it manages to get a decent joke into almost every strip.

Mopsy September 13, 1937
Gladys Parker created Mopsy after “Gay and Her Gang” ended and it became her most successful and long-running feature. It ended in 1965.

Up Front October 17, 1944
Set in WWII, “Up Front” features infantrymen Willie and Joe and first ran in “Stars and Stripes” in 1944 before being syndicated.

Dark Laughter May 13, 1950
Ollie Harrington started this comic in 1930s African-American newspapers as a satire of Harlem society. It features lovable rascal Bootsie.

So It Seems March 19, 1952
A short-lived strip from the early 1950s.

Those Were the Days November 14, 1957
Created by Art Beeman, TWTD perfects nostalgia for a world that never existed. It ran forever.

Wee Pals March 28, 1966
Wee Pals was the first strip with multi-cultural characters to gain wide syndication and its creator Morrie Turner was one of the first African-Americans artists to appear on a mainstream comics page.

Dogbert October 18, 1966
“Dogbert” was one of Morrie Turner’s less-known strips for the Chicago Defender, set in the armed forces.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Slammy posted:

Up Front October 17, 1944
Set in WWII, “Up Front” features infantrymen Willie and Joe and first ran in “Stars and Stripes” in 1944 before being syndicated.

Cool, a car running on wood gas! With a little ingenuity and some hacked-together hardware, it's actually possible to run a vehicle engine on ordinary firewood. It sucks in a lot of ways compared to ordinary fuel, but it'll work, so it pops up in times of severe fuel supply problems (such as war zones). Wood gas cars were all over Europe during WWII, but this is the first time I've ever heard of the US military having to resort to it for their jeeps.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Huh. Well there you go.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days November 14, 1957
Created by Art Beeman, TWTD perfects nostalgia for a world that never existed. It ran forever.

i feel like we can't start this year off without Vargos perfect description of this strip:

Vargo posted:

Beeman has three modes of "But Now - Wow!":
1: things are different and I'm mad about it
2: things are different and I'm horny about it
3: things are different and I'm mad that I'm horny about it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I haven't really posted much in past threads but I figured I'd chime in here in the new year and say thank you to everybody who posts comics! I grew up in a neighborhood without many other kids so I spent a lot of my weekends reading Calvin & Hobbes, Garfield, Foxtrot, and basically whatever else I could get from the local library so newspaper comics hold a special place in my heart. I love these threads for introducing me to all kinds of comics I never would have come across (Wallace, the Q-rais comics, the Allison comics, and Scary Gary leap to mind but I know there's a bunch) and comics I never would have given the time of day otherwise (wow A&J is good and Sally Forth is a lot better than I thought). I can't say I read all the comics posted in this thread, I personally don't read the soaps or the vintage comics, but it warms my heart that there are people who take the time to post those too, and people that love to read (or love to hate) them.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I find Those Were The Days to be a lot more likeable when you realize half the strips are Art Beeman's very poorly disguised tough girl fetish.

Jucika "482 - Jucika And The Fearful Little Student"

"483 - Jucika And The Robot Man"

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Uramachi Sakaba - adorable. :kimchi:

Chako - Chako!! :ohdear:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Don't worry, Mr. Bridge Ornament is with her.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Chaco found a…stargate?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

PainterofCrap posted:

Chaco found a…stargate?

Ring transporter. Stargates are the big networked interstellar transport things while rings are more local unless you technobabble it.

Stargates are the internet, ring transporters are Bluetooth.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Doomykins posted:

"483 - Jucika And The Robot Man"

What horror is he looking at in the first frame?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mister Kingdom posted:

What horror is he looking at in the first frame?

chores.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Little late there

Love is Hell

Sylvia

Hell yeah

Marlys!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

[SFX: ENDLESS SCREAMING]

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (April 21, 1934)

Peanuts (January 6, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 4, 1938)

Out Our Way (December 30, 1937-January 1, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (July 15-17, 1918)

Dok's "That Ol' Hesitation Rag" Duck (December 2, 1913 (December 1st is AWOL).)

While Lefty's off in parts unknown, your Party-approved gap-plugger is I See By The Papers, by "a comrade called MacCormick". (November 14-16, 1935)

And a technical glitch delays Blondie tonight. Thank you for your continued tolerance for my excuses.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 4, 2022

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Axa

Ooh, let's see that again!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

IT'S NOT loving OVER BATUIK YOU loving HACK :argh:

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #144, Alison Bechdel (1992)

Mo broke up with her live-in girlfriend Harriet a few strips ago, or, uh, early 2021 in BSS time. This was over a number of things but it basically played into where Bechdel is at overall at this point in the strip in general and this strip in particular, which is that the characters she introduced as furious and radical lesbians in their early twenties are all careening into their thirties and having to figure out what that means. Mo is the last hold-out of a lot of the original characterization of the cast-- vegan, fiercely anti-establishment, a bit of a Luddite and a Puritan especially compared to the very sex-positive Lois. So as we enter the 90s she is more frequently played as kind of a fuddy duddy.
Mo's parting shot is pretty weak, because flattop and leather jacket is a look somebody 70 might well be able to pull off. Which is kind of playing off Mo's "fuddy duddy" characterization, and it's hard to tell if that's part of the joke. Sometimes it's clear Bechdel is putting in multiple layers, and sometimes you wonder if it's just a happy accident.

Lois' being very insecure about aging (hoo boy, would I love to be 30 again!) presumably feeds into a later plotline, although it's not explicit. Bechdel was getting pretty good at longrunning interacting and character-driven plots by this point.

How Wonderful! posted:

If you are younger, or very straight, you might be raising an eyebrow at the idea of sex clubs in 1992, at the height of the AIDS crisis. Well, life finds a way, and in many places "a way" equaled ACT UP members handing out safe sex kits at clubs or people finding comparatively safe ways to have sex at the clubs. Check out Jeremy Atherton Lin's 2021 study Gay Bar: Why We Went Out for a deeper look at the history of gay nightlife. Here's a fun and informative interview with San Francisco Sentinel photographer Melissa Hawkins about that era.
Oh, more than that. Some sex clubs had "enforcers" who would go around with flashlights to make sure nothing unsafe was going on. It was actually a pretty safe way to play around, at least AIDS-wise.

Um, er, as some friends told me.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm sure that, if Estelle tells Wilbur she doesn't want to get married (yet), he will be mature and rational about it.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slammy posted:

So It Seems March 19, 1952
A short-lived strip from the early 1950s.

I've said this before about Those Were The Days, but this has even stronger MAD energy, and I'm slowly starting to suspect that MAD maybe wasn't so much unique as simply kept that style through the ages.

God forbid we introduce a new character.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

Fingerpori is a cult classic from Finland, drawn and written by Pertti Jarla. The comic features far fetched (and often untranslatable) puns and also a bunch of social commentary on the hot issues of the day.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

“I don’t need this”, Christ, it’s really all about you Bern, isn’t it?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Powered Descent posted:

Cool, a car running on wood gas! With a little ingenuity and some hacked-together hardware, it's actually possible to run a vehicle engine on ordinary firewood. It sucks in a lot of ways compared to ordinary fuel, but it'll work, so it pops up in times of severe fuel supply problems (such as war zones). Wood gas cars were all over Europe during WWII, but this is the first time I've ever heard of the US military having to resort to it for their jeeps.

Things never got quite that bad for the Allies in the western front, but there was a major shortage of fuel on the front lines in the second half of 1944. This was for a number of reasons, but the root cause was that the German forces in France collapsed extremely quickly (to the point where the British and American forces had to stall a bit in order to let the Free French forces under De Gaulle liberate Paris), and that threw everything in disorder. Not only did the combat arms go forward much faster, outpacing pipeline construction and rail transport, but they used way more gas and lubricants than expected. To make matters worse, theater commanders, desperate to strike as hard and fast as they could before the enemy managed to find his footing, prioritized aggressive pushes over securing alternate supply routes.

A shortage of trucks and some major fuckups by the top brass made things worse, as did a severe shortage of jerrican which resulted in fuel being provided in 55-gallon drums that were difficult to actually use.

The situation depicted in the comic is an exaggeration of what the troops were actually dealing with.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Huh. That art looks almost exactly like the person who drew those paleontologist webcomics. Whatever happened to them, I wonder?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 06, 1949)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/3/02

Brenda Starr 11/30/47

Smokey Stover 6/3/45

Everyday Movies 9/17/34

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I laughed at a Luann comic today.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 06, 1949)

Would Oom Fooyat sound like an East Asian name to a 1950s audience in a Fu Manchu kind of way, or is that just a coincidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
These days I would def compare Eric Clapton to a cat's rear end in a top hat.