Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Chamale posted:

They say people are testing positive and getting hospitalized as a precaution. Why are the hospitals overwhelmed? It's all the nurses quitting because of vaccine mandates! All the statistics saying this is untrue? Fake news

Do they do this in South Africa? Even in good times no one in the US is getting admitted to the hospital as a precaution. Your insurance would never cover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

the bygone days of yore where the school would just send homework if you hosed off to disneyland for a month (fleeing the city because dad owes too much money and the heat needed to die down)

:frogon:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Substandard posted:

Honestly every crazy person I've personally talked to has a story about a guy who got hospitalized/killed in a car wreck and then counted as a COVID case, but again, there are only like 50k motor vehicle deaths total annually.

Covid 19 deaths for 2020 (345k) nearly doubled the next leading cause of death (all accidental injuries at 192k). There’s absolutely no rational way you could seriously argue that other deaths are being misassigned as Covid.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Substandard posted:

Do they do this in South Africa? Even in good times no one in the US is getting admitted to the hospital as a precaution. Your insurance would never cover it.

No, they're not admitting people to hospitals in South Africa as a precaution. We know that over 3,000 people have died of Omicron there, and they haven't updated the excess death figures in weeks, but the "mild" narrative persists.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

there it is. now's the time, whichever goon it was who kept posting A Mili. or maybe it was more than one of you, i dunno.

let's see...

WampaLord posted:

how soon until million case days?

nailed it

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

My grandfather was ill and in a VA (veteran not state) hospital in October 2019. He was there for 3 weeks, and the last week caught an unknown respiratory disease which trailed him a bit out of the hospital. During that time he lost his sense of taste and smell, which he still has not regained.

I totally think he got it super early. VA hospitals in this area could also have been treating soldiers from the same group that showed up in China with what was probably covid.

I have nothing to back these theories up, which means I'm 100% right.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Covid 19 deaths for 2020 (345k) nearly doubled the next leading cause of death (all accidental injuries at 192k). There’s absolutely no rational way you could seriously argue that other deaths are being misassigned as Covid.

Chuds and libs, man
Both broken in the same way

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Captain Magic posted:

it’s worse than bad

it’s over

The fact that I'm just laughing at this poo poo now means yeah probably.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

Skrode posted:

In medium/small town MN, not a mask in sight and school back in sesh; this shits gonna hit like a freight train up here

whereabouts? not seeing much masking even in the cities rn

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

nikosoft posted:

IDIOT the doctor sticks the IV to give you extra nacho cheese from a bag

a nacho cheese draw is when the cheese comes out

smh

shut the gently caress up. like u know anything about nacho cheese blood

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Accidental injury deaths were slightly lower (167,127) in 2018 pre COVID.. Cancer deaths were roughly the same. Flu deaths tanked, but it was 60k.. I know the argument is probably like 5g poisoning or something for the Q people, but I'm just curious what all these great barrington freaks think is causing millions of excess hospitalizations and deaths. Someone should press them on it. It's infuriating

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

WampaLord posted:

let's see...

nailed it

did you post that Black Moon track earlier too? never heard it before. i liked it. thanks if it was you lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
do people still do X-rays to check for "ground glass in lungs" as a mean of checking for covid?

I understand that that's not a practical way to do "mass testing", or even precautionary or anticipatory testing, particularly given the state of hospitals, but I'm wondering if that's still something that can be done if you really wanted to try and confirm and a test wasn't available or would take too long

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

did you post that Black Moon track earlier too? never heard it before. i liked it. thanks if it was you lol

no that was me open biden

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

whoever recommended the new archspire album yesterday I just wanna say thanks cause this album is sick

hopefully it’s mild

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Chamale posted:

There was a hypothesis way back then that it gave you gastro symptoms if ingested, and respiratory symptoms if inhaled. Did anyone ever test that?

Christ I forgot about this

10 days ago my toddler threw up in his crib and then had diarrhea for almost a week. We also had some gastro issues. Same time I had a sore throat that lasted 12 hours and wife’s lasted maybe 36. We’ve both had a weird cough like. Once per day.

Insanely like absolutely protective on the respiratory front but did a lot of delivery/curbside food over Christmas and New Years. Didnt test because there were just like zero exposures even at my job in my N100
—-plus I never got within 12 ft of anyone. Assumed it was just something disgusting the kid had touched before shoving his hands into our mouths.

Edit: or maybe it was nothing. Paranoia. I get my 4th shot in a week, wife got her booster early Dec and has continued to breastfeed bc of the antibodies

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 4, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Shear Modulus posted:

decoupling is hopium that the vaccines are so good and omicron is so mild that you can have a million cases but it doesn't matter, maybe one of them is going to get sick enough to feel anything. so cases don't cause hospitalizations any more

the hospitalizations don't count either because the disease is so mild and under control that people are going out and living their lives even after they have covid, and they're going to the hospital only after they break their arm rock climbing and then test positive for covid and didn't even know they had it (because it's so mild you don't notice it)

This was all over CBC TV and Radio today, so I suppose the talking points have gone out.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ascii genitals posted:

I got some from ihealthlabs the day after christmas but aside from getting a tracking number there have been no updates--hopefully they come this week. Good luck :(

mine have been in "label has been printed" limbo for a week now, ordered on the 27th

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Taco bell renaming sauce packets to Fire, Hot, and Omicron

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Substandard posted:

What do people feel is the non-COVID answer to record levels of hospitalization everywhere? Attempted suicide from all our regressive lockdowns? Vaccine poisoning?

It helps if you realize that nothing anyone is saying makes any sense. The actual argument is that there aren't record levels of hospitalizations. Democrats and Republicans alike are essentially claiming that hospitals are operating at completely normal capacity, and that the "surge" is an illusion created by non-COVID hospitalizations testing positive in the hospital. That's the only argument they can make because anything else means admitting that COVID is overwhelming hospitals or there's some other mystery illness that's overwhelming hospitals.

The problem is that this is just another delaying tactic. You can start separating with/from and maybe you get lucky with hospital reporting and blow away half of your reported COVID hospitalizations. It doesn't matter, because you're still going to have that same vertical line, it's just going to be slightly smaller. At best, they're hoping to obfuscate the situation for long enough that this wave subsides before they have to do anything.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

a good trick when u go to the movies is to ring ur own chips and then cough on them

bam free nachos ur welcome

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

do people still do X-rays to check for "ground glass in lungs" as a mean of checking for covid?

I understand that that's not a practical way to do "mass testing", or even precautionary or anticipatory testing, particularly given the state of hospitals, but I'm wondering if that's still something that can be done if you really wanted to try and confirm and a test wasn't available or would take too long

no way, radiology is an order of magnitude more expensive than a pcr, itself an order of magnitude more expensive than an antigen

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Paradoxish posted:

It helps if you realize that nothing anyone is saying makes any sense. The actual argument is that there aren't record levels of hospitalizations. Democrats and Republicans alike are essentially claiming that hospitals are operating at completely normal capacity, and that the "surge" is an illusion created by non-COVID hospitalizations testing positive in the hospital. That's the only argument they can make because anything else means admitting that COVID is overwhelming hospitals or there's some other mystery illness that's overwhelming hospitals.

The problem is that this is just another delaying tactic. You can start separating with/from and maybe you get lucky with hospital reporting and blow away half of your reported COVID hospitalizations. It doesn't matter, because you're still going to have that same vertical line, it's just going to be slightly smaller. At best, they're hoping to obfuscate the situation for long enough that this wave subsides before they have to do anything.

The number of hospitalizations before COVID vs now seems like it should be a fairly knowable thing, for say "The paper of record". I dunno..

I'm going to log off and go read a book because I'm now having phantom chest tightness and freaking out that I have COVID for like the 5th time in the last few weeks.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Rah! posted:

no that was me open biden

gracias abre biden

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1478225021478842368?s=21

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Substandard posted:

The number of hospitalizations before COVID vs now seems like it should be a fairly knowable thing, for say "The paper of record". I dunno..

It is, they’re acting in bad faith. This is what trump meant by how Covid would “go away” once he left office

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

pancake rabbit posted:

coughing in memphis

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Oh mama
Can this really be the end
To be sick inside of memphis in the ICU again

:hmmyes:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ccs posted:

Quebec is doing more than what is recommended here and will still run out of ICU beds in the next 10 days.

We need to require high quality masks for all indoor settings

Such as restaurants

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

theflyingexecutive posted:

no way, radiology is an order of magnitude more expensive than a pcr, itself an order of magnitude more expensive than an antigen

huh okay, I didn't know that taking an x-ray would be more expensive than a PCR

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
https://twitter.com/andrewgurza_/status/1478027406149820417?t=NMFHugezY_zuHGLGpJiXWw&s=19

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Shear Modulus posted:

decoupling is hopium that the vaccines are so good and omicron is so mild that you can have a million cases but it doesn't matter, maybe one of them is going to get sick enough to feel anything. so cases don't cause hospitalizations any more

the hospitalizations don't count either because the disease is so mild and under control that people are going out and living their lives even after they have covid, and they're going to the hospital only after they break their arm rock climbing and then test positive for covid and didn't even know they had it (because it's so mild you don't notice it)

The worst part of this post is that none of it is even a loving exaggeration of what these idiots believe.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
https://twitter.com/YouAreLobbyLud/status/1478184293037867008?t=nlpzVSYaApTXLRvtQbf9Bg&s=19

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
sisters wedding went off without a hitch apparently in vegas in new years.

My brother (who is also in biotech) who went is staying home because he's about 100% sure he was exposed and expected it and I'm having this moment of "why"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

brugroffil posted:

We need to require high quality masks for all indoor settings

Such as restaurants

lol yeah you're never really going to see as big a push for masking as is necessary because it would require acknowledging that taking off your mask is a bad idea, and if it is, then you can't do indoor dining anymore

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Well that's easy, we'll just do the same thing we did before. Ignore them.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Rah! posted:

shut the gently caress up. like u know anything about nacho cheese blood

Bitch I am a nacho cheese blood expert. I like to immediately slurp it from the vacuum tube while maintaining eye contact with the crying patient. Put it in the centrifuge and separate out all the little jalapeno bits and eat those too.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

It is, they’re acting in bad faith. This is what trump meant by how Covid would “go away” once he left office

Yeah. It doesn't matter if it's trivially easy to disprove what they're saying because the whole point is to cast doubt on all the metrics saying it's bad. First it was case counts, now it's hospitalizations.

There are people in hospitals dying from COVID right now and our government is essentially trying to erase their existence. It's very cool.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Schnorkles posted:

sisters wedding went off without a hitch apparently in vegas in new years.

My brother (who is also in biotech) who went is staying home because he's about 100% sure he was exposed and expected it and I'm having this moment of "why"

Did they have a good time?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
the thing that is massively infuriating about omicron right now is that everyone can be right and the conclusion should still be "stay at home ffs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

gradenko_2000 posted:

huh okay, I didn't know that taking an x-ray would be more expensive than a PCR

we used to use x-rays to fit shoes. how can it be so much more expensive? just make all the nonagenarian shoe salespeople do it