Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I love that he barely notes Luna, the woman he was told about by the bog witch he hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Caphi posted:

MY FRIENDS <3

This is gross.

That heart drat near caused me to recoil from the screen a little.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MY FRIENDS <3

who I will abandon when I have the chance to gently caress

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Terrible news everyone

are we sure he's not still on holiday from drawing

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
We might soon have enough information bullet points to need two pages of recap every time Snout adds a new one.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I like how it's a important part of the legacy of Dominic Deegan to list all the students he taught in a branch of magic which he then immediately blew up.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I think he even forgot about the cliffhanger he teased for days on social media.

Or is it like Cliffhanger the movie the game? You know when something is bad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

so again nothing we dont already know lol

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
The thing that amazed me the most is that, in a comic both without dialogue and with proper page sizes, he's somehow managing to tell less of a story even slower.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Wait, that lists Dominic as being a benefactor of the wild edge library.

Did the comic ever mention how his books got into that library? Because if he donated them to the library directly that would mean those hand full of shelves in the middle of nowhere have been sitting there for 200 years.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Terrible news everyone

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's amazing when he writes it out how clearly the story has moved like three feet since this began over two years ago.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
The United States
* Alabama
* Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California

This dialogue-free comic is about 80% words telling us poo poo we already know.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Pulsarcat posted:

Did the comic ever mention how his books got into that library?

Honestly the most damning thing about Legacy is that I could remember a single throwaway comic about books from the original in 2003 to make a half-arsed edit but I couldn't remember what the Asinopath book was a few updates ago despite it being one of the very few items that has been vaguely important without looking it up.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Literally a recap with every new piece of information no matter how inane or irrelevant it is.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

I like how it's a important part of the legacy of Dominic Deegan to list all the students he taught in a branch of magic which he then immediately blew up.

I think divination still exists (and it would fit into the 'magic is gentler now' thing), but no one has visions anymore.

As I understand it, in Deeganworld, you can be a Diviner (the D&D class) even if you don't have visions/a third eye, and you can have visions/a third eye without being a Diviner (the D&D class). Dominic just happens to be both.

Some people are just Diviners (most of his students, I think), some people just have visions (probably Celesto?).

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

GreenMetalSun posted:

I think divination still exists (and it would fit into the 'magic is gentler now' thing), but no one has visions anymore.

As I understand it, in Deeganworld, you can be a Diviner (the D&D class) even if you don't have visions/a third eye, and you can have visions/a third eye without being a Diviner (the D&D class). Dominic just happens to be both.

Some people are just Diviners (most of his students, I think), some people just have visions (probably Celesto?).

I think Celesto was in the former category. The latter basically just existed to make Dominic a special boy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

And make it so dominic didn't have to actively do things to get information.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Terrible news everyone

Didn't we have a basically identical infochart like 3 months ago?

Also watch the "threefold self" be something stupid like referring to the base form of Snout, his transformed form for when he fucks, and some other one mookie hasn't come up with yet.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

YF-23 posted:

Didn't we have a basically identical infochart like 3 months ago?
Six months, but yeah. With a nearly identical Snout:

That was July. Snout is now frowning and he updated the date on his signature, so Mookie's really decided to push himself artistically in the new year.

In other news, this is apparently the start of a new chapter, with the inauspicious but undoubtedly prescient title "Difficult Reading".

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
must have been taken a lot of time and effort to wave the eraser tool over the old text, no wonder mookie had to take a break

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Trapezium Dave posted:

Honestly the most damning thing about Legacy is that I could remember a single throwaway comic about books from the original in 2003 to make a half-arsed edit but I couldn't remember what the Asinopath book was a few updates ago despite it being one of the very few items that has been vaguely important without looking it up.

It's so sad that this makes the original Dominic Deegan look full of life and dynamic in comparison.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I think you should actually be ashamed to have this be your first page of the new year.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How much of this dumb comic is just recaps?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

TheHan posted:

I think you should actually be ashamed to have this be your first page of the new year.

He's also being a sad sack on Twitter retweeting stuff about 100% of your panels can't be perfect etc. and to cut yourself a break. Which came first the soft boi character or the soft boy author

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Billy Gnosis posted:

He's also being a sad sack on Twitter retweeting stuff about 100% of your panels can't be perfect etc. and to cut yourself a break. Which came first the soft boi character or the soft boy author

100% of what panels? He didn’t draw anything! :psyduck: Mookie’s been on break since Snout nutted in that swamp witch.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Billy Gnosis posted:

soft boi-led egg

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

So after big heavy doses of "what the gently caress" after the bog sex, issues with my dictation software, I just not wanting to subject myself to it in the much delayed continuation of the OG Deegan readthru begins now:

Chapter 24: Around the World Part 7: The Winter Archipelago

One comment I will say in positive for Mookie is that the "Winter Archipelago" does sound like somewhere that could exist in a fantasy setting. It's not just the name of a race plus +"strali" something, and it's not something incredibly stupid like "olde Tucklebruck"

This is an incredibly stupid interaction for multiple reasons, both for the context it occurs in and for where it leads. First, yes Mookie it is ridiculous the things that happened to Dominic on his vacation, I would call Gary-Stu-ish except that would sort of be gilding the lily at this point. The fact that previously incredibly amazing things happen to Dominic on a daily basis does not change that fact. Second as previous readers of the comic know, Brian the portly necromancer is actually Rillian wearing a skin suit, of his own old skin to boot. Obviously this is going to be excuses it being a "test", but keep that in mind as you see how Brian continues to speak. I firmly believe that this is actually an rear end pull on Mookie's part, because the immediate goal of this interaction seems to be to talk yet again about how disappointed Mookie was in some sort of reboot of one of his favourite comics.

Doesn't keep Mookie from jerking off about how cool Rillian is though. I like him abuse drops random fantasy things without explaining any event as if it's supposed to impress us. I'm saying this is someone who thinks that the idea of a good lich, who chose on death as a mechanism for trying to help safeguard the world, could be a cool idea. Really is maybe one of the only characters ever to have a sacrifice in this comic too, so he is perhaps the most well realized hero figure Mookie has ever made

In contrast, let's see the type of stress Dominic is under:

That's right, Dominic's biggest concern is to yet again bring up the comic anthology that Luna bought him, and how sad he was about the ad for the new edition. Dominic gives what is an extremely saccharine, "nice guy" answer. There's something about the dynamic of Luna Dominic that I hate even more than straight out misogyny. Luna is not a strong female character, for reasons I have outlined over and over. But Dominic still puts her on this pedestal that worships her as his perfect heavenly creature. Is the easy way out of having to write women, and I hated every time it comes up in stuff I'm reading. What follows after this is just something I I don't even know how to process. So I guess Dominic told Luna about the conversation, and she freaked out once again, bringing up every single time that she feels she screwed up. At this point the behaviour is pathological, she needs to bring up her own insecurities to be coddled by Dominic. And of course then they have makeup sex, which Mookie thinks is romantic, and not a sign of a dysfunctional codependency. This is what I mean when I say that Luna is not a strong female character. She is literally entirely defined by her insecurities, and has never escaped them. Mookie just claims that she is super strong, but still treat her as if her ego is made of glass.

I guess the Winter Archipelago is the only part of the world that is cold. Of course it being Dominic and Luna, they will once again get a personalized tour of the islands from their friend. To be fair this might be the one time where it is appropriate. This is a little thing, but I do like how Milov is holding them by their necklines, like it's a scruff of their neck, and not something that would be choking them.

Does it count as a pun if the word is just the same, and the etymology of the word literally is the pun you are making?

Nothing too egregious here, even a joke that I'll say is pretty good.

Here though, is the famous Mavpel feast, which I don't think we need to revisit again because I already posted in the thread. But yeah, gross.

And here's another classic strip that spawned many and edit in its time.

First of all, I love that somehow Milov heard about Dominic's breakdown, once again confirming the Deegan hive mind. Second, what can I even say about that face that he has drawn on Dominic? The most uncomfortable orgasm face ever.

Can't let a chance to jerk Nimmel off go by. Apparently Milov is so personally invested that any good idea Nimmel has, he wants to know about. Another weird, borderline inappropriate parental dynamic set up by Mookie.

This is all such a weird conversation to have. It feels very unnatural. Very unnatural transitions between ideas.

I think this is where we get it confirmed that she's taken a vow of silence. I don't remember if it was explicitly made clear before now.

And also, I love just how flippantly they treat Jayden's pain, something that neither Dominic nor Luna has shown any concern for at all since the events of Shadow of Siegfried, despite Luna being Jayden's best friend.

And again with the childish Aesops about emotions. Just have a good cry out of nowhere.

Couple of things about this monologue. First, nothing about the description really fits with what we've seen about Milov so far. Second, this is again world building with no purpose, that will not come up again in any meaningful way, or have any effect on the story.

And finally, it doesn't escape me that Mookie does the nerd misanthrope thing of repeatedly coming back to the fantasy of a happy life of solitude, despite the fact that he absolutely needs attention to keep himself going. Everyone of his hero characters expresses this desire, but I don't think it sincere. I think it's another way of feeling superior over the stupid normies.

More maple facts.

I guess this is a cute interaction on it's own, but it doesn't really feel in character for either of them. It actually annoys me how often Mookie lapses into what can only be called "manchild mode" for his main characters. I'm not even saying that you can't have characters have a bit of simple fun, but it just comes out of nowhere, with no set up.

I guess she magicked the ice armor into being, and took off her sleeves at the same time. Just now realizing this is another pun too.

In a better comic, this would be another strip that would be a nice touching moment. Like always, doesn't really feel earned here.

And of course, yet another asspat for the special couple, and how they spent their time in a better way than all the other tourists. Of all the vacation spots, this one ended up being the most boring, mostly because the character moments fall pretty flat.

Next Time: The Semashi Kingdom.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Putting aside the reveal and whether it was planned or not, I've always loving hated the way Brian looks. It's the one major overweight character in the comic and it really seems like Mookie went out of his way to make him look as gross as possible in every scene. Feels really fat-shamey.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also this is the laziest of the vacation spots, with literally no effort to make any vistas. No fantasy not-Russian sights to see, even by Mookie's feeble standards.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

Also this is the laziest of the vacation spots, with literally no effort to make any vistas. No fantasy not-Russian sights to see, even by Mookie's feeble standards.

It was a struggle to get through the summary, which is why it took so long. It's boring in the worst way Mookie can be.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Putting aside the reveal and whether it was planned or not, I've always loving hated the way Brian looks. It's the one major overweight character in the comic and it really seems like Mookie went out of his way to make him look as gross as possible in every scene. Feels really fat-shamey.

I cant recall any other fat characters in DD anyway, I genuinely cant tell if its mookie being fat-shamey or if he just cannot draw fat people. Considering he cant draw people, animals, or most things in general I was sort of leaning towards the latter

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Beelzebufo posted:

It was a struggle to get through the summary, which is why it took so long. It's boring in the worst way Mookie can be.

Yeah, this section really comes through as the one where the least happens in an arc where nothing happens.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It’s dragged on too long, and also we’ve already been here so the arc isn’t serving the purpose of “show off the parts of the setting we haven’t got to yet”.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Also even though he's not onscreen Nimmel being mentioned at all makes this a particularly bad section.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Now that we've revealed that Brian is really a lich: Remember the drinking contest?

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Zereth posted:

Now that we've revealed that Brian is really a lich: Remember the drinking contest?

My man, if you don't think a lich can magic up a way to get bone-boozed

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
It seems kinda rude to listen to a friend pouring out his heart and then call it a monologue

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Bismuth posted:

I cant recall any other fat characters in DD anyway, I genuinely cant tell if its mookie being fat-shamey or if he just cannot draw fat people. Considering he cant draw people, animals, or most things in general I was sort of leaning towards the latter

I think he definitely used 'ew fat guy naked' for jokes but I don't think Mookie's fat shaming in an active way beyond that, per se. Like he is by our modern standards, but for the standards of the time, especially? Eh. I feel like if he wanted him to be really grossly fat and played for gags/grossness he'd be, well, grosser. Mookie can't draw very well as we all know very well, but I feel like he could probably manage a grosser face than what Brian has.

Honestly I think the main reason Brian is fat is probably just because it's funny irony to Mookie. Necromancers are usually grim, withered, and emaciated, and here we see the first necromancer was actually a jolly fat dude. Plus instead of being all bones, he's got extra meat to spare!

Like given how Mookie wears his hang-ups on his sleeve, I can't help but think if he had genuine issues with fat folks that we'd get a lot more than just Brian. I mean look at Rowling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Zerilan posted:

Also even though he's not onscreen Nimmel being mentioned at all makes this a particularly bad section.

It's only rereading that I realize how much Nimmel was also a self-insert. Despite the fact that Dominic is Mookie in high school, Nimmel is Mookie in actual highschool.