Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe Picard is supposed to be in his 90s, so I'm hoping Stewart is just playing older, but the voice thing is rough

I mean during the pandemic lockdown Stewart was filming himself doing pushups and rolling around on the floor playing with his dog like someone half his age, so yeah I think he's overselling the "Picard is a tired old rear end man" bit for the show, and whatever the hell happened to his voice in the last ten years is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that regard too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean during the pandemic lockdown Stewart was filming himself doing pushups and rolling around on the floor playing with his dog like someone half his age, so yeah I think he's overselling the "Picard is a tired old rear end man" bit for the show, and whatever the hell happened to his voice in the last ten years is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that regard too.
The voice thing is in the last couple of years. He doesn't sound bad in Logan (which was in 2017).

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I read an interview where Stewart talked about discovering medical marijuana in recent years, so I like to imagine his voice is hoarse from bong rips and six joints a day.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Delsaber posted:

You're older than you've ever been
And now you're even older

You could even say, time is the fire in which we burn

:v:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I read an interview where Stewart talked about discovering medical marijuana in recent years, so I like to imagine his voice is hoarse from bong rips and six joints a day.

make it stoned

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQVc79FE5Bo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Stewart's the type of guy who would invite you over to his place, then put on some Zeppelin and eat cheddar cheese, if you know what I mean.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Stewart's the type of guy who would invite you over to his place, then put on some Zeppelin and eat cheddar cheese, if you know what I mean.

I don’t get it please explain

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arivia posted:

I don’t get it please explain

A reference to an old Internet 1.0 Star Trek comedy video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=414TmP12WAU

The dude behind it turned out to be an insane conspiracy nut (seriously, DON'T look at the rest of his YouTube channel), but his Trek videos were funny as poo poo, and the line about Zeppelin and cheddar cheese was even quoted by Patrick Stewart himself on Twitter once.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

A reference to an old Internet 1.0 Star Trek comedy video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=414TmP12WAU

The dude behind it turned out to be an insane conspiracy nut (seriously, DON'T look at the rest of his YouTube channel), but his Trek videos were funny as poo poo, and the line about Zeppelin and cheddar cheese was even quoted by Patrick Stewart himself on Twitter once.

i thought i was just playing stupid but actually i didn't know about this at all so thank you

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gormless goblin posted:

This fact is not fun at all -- as a matter of fact, I am now depressed

The amount of time that passed between the end of TOS and the beginning of TNG is less than the amount of time between the end of VOY and today.

For some reason this fact haunts me.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Kurzon posted:

Which is why it was really weird that Starfleet had him break into a secret Cardassian lab as a special forces guy in Chain of Command.

Another prime example of "Stewart is getting bored playing diplomat" ...And a convenient reminder that they can replace the ship's captain with someone who does not complain about the lack of fighting & loving.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Another prime example of "Stewart is getting bored playing diplomat" ...And a convenient reminder that they can replace the ship's captain with someone who does not complain about the lack of fighting & loving.

You say that like Jellico wouldn't have ripped through the Enterprise in the span of a month like a sexual buzz saw :mario:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

im watching a DS9 about the lockdown on Earth and since they're in San Francisco Sisko refers to something taking place at 11 PST and its like, man, daylight savings time still exists in the 24th century? How do time zones even work when everybody's goin' to space all the dang time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Quite well, thank you

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

That DICK! posted:

im watching a DS9 about the lockdown on Earth and since they're in San Francisco Sisko refers to something taking place at 11 PST and its like, man, daylight savings time still exists in the 24th century? How do time zones even work when everybody's goin' to space all the dang time.

Pakled Standard Time

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If you can find and watch Blunt Talk, Stewart is basically playing a comic exaggeration of himself there.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Eimi posted:

Patrick Stewart just kind of looked in his 70s forever that I assumed he would never age older than that.

He was 47 when the first series of tng aired so say he was 46 during filming.

It's not surprising he didn't age for the next 30 years, he'd already got it out of the way.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

If you can find and watch Blunt Talk, Stewart is basically playing a comic exaggeration of himself there.

That show should have gotten more seasons :colbert:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

orcane posted:

That show should have gotten more seasons :colbert:

It really should. It was weird but it was also beautiful and the laughs were infrequent for a comedy show but when they hit they you hit hard.

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

Alchenar posted:

Well, I'm a sort of a James Bond figure.. and I have to go to Iraq to rescue these hostages. I get there and I rescue them, but they're all women and they're naked because their clothes have rotted off. But I get them into the helicopter, and I'm flying the helicopter, but I can still sneak a look in the mirror and I can see everything, you know. One of them's bending over, two of them are kissing...

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I am watching the TNG episode Redemption and there is this scene where Gowron asks Picard to intervene in the Klingon civil war. Picard is just a starship captain, not the President of the Federation. He can't take the Federation to war. Christ, Trek loves to ignore basic facts about how governments and military chains of command work.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He's the captain of the flagship, though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

And if Gowron has asked for a flag, it will of been a perfectly reasonable request.

Hell, it would of been down right dick'ish for Picard to say no.

Would take like all of two seconds to replicate.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Captain of a scientific diplomacy vessel remember ;)

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I suppose if TNG stuck to Gene's original vision of the Enterprise being about deep space exploration, then yeah Picard would be expected to do diplomatic stuff like Captain Cook.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Kurzon posted:

I am watching the TNG episode Redemption and there is this scene where Gowron asks Picard to intervene in the Klingon civil war. Picard is just a starship captain, not the President of the Federation. He can't take the Federation to war. Christ, Trek loves to ignore basic facts about how governments and military chains of command work.

The Klingons don't see eye-to-eye with the Federation when it comes to "oh, yes, I believe your cause is just, but I'll need my superiors to tell me if I can fight for it." The characterization of the Klingons is that pretty much every one of their captains is empowered to start or join a fight, though there may be consequences if their own superiors decide they were actually in the wrong to do so. I have no trouble with the idea that Gowron would believe "hey, we're allies, he'll fight if I ask him to."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't really remember there being much about the Enterprise being "the flagship" in Next Generation. For the most part it seemed like it was treated as just one of many of the Federation's top ships able to just kinda go wherever and pick up odd jobs rather than having a special unique place in the fleet.

It does make sense from the perspective of Klingon society at that time, since Klingons expected prestigious captains to have connections to call upon to bring into a war with them, and I doubt the Klingon high council would have that much concern for a few of its captains going on a spree, especially if it's happening because of personal loyalty and "honor".

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The best thing about Picards being killed is that they can always have his character go, "actually, I quite like being alive afterall and I think I'll do it some more" and then they can plastic surgery his golem body to look like the new actor to play Picard for the next 30 years.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kurzon posted:

I don't think Gowron gives a gently caress about the command structure

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't really remember there being much about the Enterprise being "the flagship" in Next Generation. For the most part it seemed like it was treated as just one of many of the Federation's top ships able to just kinda go wherever and pick up odd jobs rather than having a special unique place in the fleet.

They did do a lot of first contacts, and according to memory alpha it was -for the most part- the federation flag ship during TNG.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Flagship

I seem to recall a few people also mentioning that serving on the Enterprise was considered a bit of a prestige gig. I mean the had the first star fleet Klingon, the daughter of an ambassador, and a one of a kind android and serving on bridge. Picard and Riker both seems to have excellent reputation as well. While you can argue about just how capable each of them were, on paper that's a pretty prestigious bunch.

We don't have to many other bridges to compare to so it's possible a lot of bridges are just packed with 'important' people, but from the ones we've seen it does sort of stand out.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

dr_rat posted:

I seem to recall a few people also mentioning that serving on the Enterprise was considered a bit of a prestige gig. I mean the had the first star fleet Klingon, the daughter of an ambassador, and a one of a kind android and serving on bridge. Picard and Riker both seems to have excellent reputation as well. While you can argue about just how capable each of them were, on paper that's a pretty prestigious bunch.

We don't have to many other bridges to compare to so it's possible a lot of bridges are just packed with 'important' people, but from the ones we've seen it does sort of stand out.

Yeah, in BoBW, Shelby explicitly tells Riker "you're in my way." He can hem and haw about being ready for his own command all he wants, and if he were first officer on any other ship she wouldn't give a poo poo. But any person from Riker down who puts the prestige of the Enterprise over their career advancement is directly interfering with everyone who's waiting for an open spot on the Enterprise to advance their own careers. If Riker leaves, Data presumably becomes first officer, and oh, look what just opened up, a spot for an operations officer who's high enough rank to be second officer, and oh, look, here's Lieutenant Commander Shelby, highly acclaimed tactical officer!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought that the implication was not that the Enterprise specifically is a special unique one and only very best and above all the rest for the Federation but that it was part of a group of fancy exploration ships, some of which are literally totally identical to the Enterprise. There's a limited amount of ships, sure, but if the Enterprise is the one and only top ship, you'd think the Federation wouldn't leave it out at the frontier while they were fighting the borg just because they were uncomfortable about its captain.

There's something that feels wrong to me about the universe lore decreeing that the onscreen characters aren't just standard starfleet, they're the absolute best like no one ever was.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

dr_rat posted:

I seem to recall a few people also mentioning that serving on the Enterprise was considered a bit of a prestige gig.

There's also the part where Ensign Ro says the Enterprise is "better than prison" and Riker nearly pops a vein yelling about how people spend years trying to get a posting there

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ro, Barclay and Pulaski were three of the best things to happen to TNG. In a crew of near-perfect Boy Scouts who got along, the series needed people who weren't enthralled with the mystique of the Enterprise and weren't outgoing type-A's.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Marx Headroom posted:

There's also the part where Ensign Ro says the Enterprise is "better than prison" and Riker nearly pops a vein yelling about how people spend years trying to get a posting there

I don't remember the exact episode but there is a moment when Wesley is getting ready to leave for Academy training and comments that, "... The Enterprise isn't just any ship" which to me, added to the idea that The Enterprise was the federation flagship.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't think Gowron gives a gently caress about the command structure

Well he should because in theory, Picard can't do squat for him.

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Ro, Barclay and Pulaski were three of the best things to happen to TNG. In a crew of near-perfect Boy Scouts who got along, the series needed people who weren't enthralled with the mystique of the Enterprise and weren't outgoing type-A's.
That's so well-observed

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Kurzon posted:

Well he should because in theory, Picard can't do squat for him.

I always thought that scene was implying that Gowron was leveraging Picard's status as a diplomat after he had served as Arbiter of Succession when Gowron was installed as Chancellor.

I assumed that Gowron was speaking to Picard because he had a previous relationship with him and thought that Picard's recommendation to the Starfleet and Federation Council would carry weight.

Edit:

I am re-watching Redemption Part I and in the scene where Worf asks Gowron to restore his family name in exchange for military assistance from Worf's brother Kurn, Gowron tells Worf that he will require Federation assistance and that Starfleet Command will listen to Picard. I forgot how cunning and scheming Gowron is shown as being right from the get go and I absolutely love it.

Penitent fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Penitent posted:

I always thought that scene was implying that Gowron was leveraging Picard's status as a diplomat after he had served as Arbiter of Succession when Gowron was installed as Chancellor.

I assumed that Gowron was speaking to Picard because he had a previous relationship with him and thought that Picard's recommendation to the Starfleet and Federation Council would carry weight.

Yeah he wasn't asking for a single ship to come and fight with him I don't think that was implied at all.