Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Arrrthritis posted:

I hit 86 on NIN and i'm wondering how to activate my superior fart cloud. Does it happen automatically after I do an AoE before/after casting Doton? I'm a little confused as to the order of events needed to eke out that extra potency.

Yeah, this took me some time to figure out too. But it activates automatically when you do the second hit of the AOE combo or use one of the AOE Fire Ninjutsus with Doton on the ground and enemies in it. As near as I can tell there's no animation or anything, just a differently named tick of damage in the scrolling combat text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mind over Matter posted:

Yeah, this took me some time to figure out too. But it activates automatically when you do the second hit of the AOE combo or use one of the AOE Fire Ninjutsus with Doton on the ground and enemies in it. As near as I can tell there's no animation or anything, just a differently named tick of damage in the scrolling combat text.

Yeah if you use Hakke Mujinsatsu as a combo action, Katon, Goka Mekkyaku, or Phantom Kamaitachi, the Doton puddle procs an extra hit on its own immediately. I don't think you even need to be standing in it or clip it with your AoE, it just does the attack when you attack.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There's definitely a new animation, it'll look like a bunch of snakes writhing out of the doton.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

No there’s an animation, it has a really cool earth dragon thing that knots around in it every time you proc it

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Ah cool, I'll have to keep an eye out for that then.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So if I go mapping today what should I be hoping to hit in terms of Big Prizes

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

No one knows! Thats what makes it so exciting!!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So if I go mapping today what should I be hoping to hit in terms of Big Prizes

The final room can drop a golden wings accessory, cloth of happiness, and a golden lunatender. Maybe more. That’s all I’ve seen thus far.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Holy moly some of these Bozja fates are rough. "Metal Fox Chaos" nearly wiped our group of 48 people- there were bits of it when it was just me (SMN) and a sage running around the field trying to resurrect people from other teams to keep momentum going.

We eventually cleared it with 3 minutes remaining, though.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Yeah, it rocks. Wait till you meet a chocobo on the battlefield.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Oh hey, that's one of the duel trigger fates. Sounds like no one qualified by not getting hit?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Also it just hit me that they didn't touch Bloodwhetting/NF. Warrior stays winning lol

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Consummate Professional posted:

Yeah, it rocks. Wait till you meet a chocobo on the battlefield.

That Red Chocobo absolutely obliterated me ten times over. I think it's the only one that I actively avoid right now.

hazardousmouse posted:

Oh hey, that's one of the duel trigger fates. Sounds like no one qualified by not getting hit?

I would guess the Sage did- they never went down the entire fight, but I don't know if they never got hit.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Arrrthritis posted:

That Red Chocobo absolutely obliterated me ten times over. I think it's the only one that I actively avoid right now.
Joonbob put up a guide for Choco Meteor Stream, which is the mechanic I had the most difficulty grasping at first:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYoMws2H8Uc

He also has videos for the other Bozjan Southern Front critical engagements, as well as the Zadnor ones for when you get there.

Chillgamesh posted:

Also it just hit me that they didn't touch Bloodwhetting/NF. Warrior stays winning lol
I don't see a real reason to change it for the Savage patch. Warrior healer and DRK not getting a buffed mitigation button is more of a dungeon issue than for raids/trials as far as I know (have cleared the EXs on Warrior, have not played DRK).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Do those maps really need a preformed party of 8? I almost grabbed a few maps (never done any mapping before) but that made me think it would be a pain in the rear end to do.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Professor Beetus posted:

Do those maps really need a preformed party of 8? I almost grabbed a few maps (never done any mapping before) but that made me think it would be a pain in the rear end to do.

3 can usually do them, but slowly. I find 4-5 the sweet spot.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

3 can usually do them, but slowly. I find 4-5 the sweet spot.

Ah ok. Maybe next time I will poke around the discord and see if folks want to join in or something.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Professor Beetus posted:

What FC are you in? I’m in TPT and just said in FC chat “hey I want to do maps” and got a group of 8 together in about 10 min and then we did it for a bunch of time.

So if you want to get a group together to do them it shouldn’t be too hard because if you get lucky you can get drops that sell for millions.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Is there a good explanation of how the gearing works?

Looking at the vendors, i see 590 gear that can be bought with tomestones, 590 weapons that can be bought with tomestones and black tokens, the tomestone gear can be upgraded to 600 with blue tokens, different 600 gear that can be bought with books, 580 gear that can be bought with tokens from the normal raid, crafter 580 gear, and the 580 EX gear.

What do the savage bosses drop? Why are there two different sets of 600 gear?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CJ posted:

Looking at the vendors, i see 590 gear that can be bought with tomestones, 590 weapons that can be bought with tomestones and black tokens, the tomestone gear can be upgraded to 600 with blue tokens, different 600 gear that can be bought with books, 580 gear that can be bought with tokens from the normal raid, crafter 580 gear, and the 580 EX gear.

I just wrote this for my friend's discord

quote:

Tier 1) job gear / expert dungeon accessories (560 in Endwalker)

Tier 2) uncapped tomestone gear (570)

Tier 3)
normal raid gear
extreme trial (set 1) gear (580)

Tier 4)
HQ crafted gear (580, can be overmelded)

Tier 5) Augmented HQ crafted gear (Not in the game yet, will be in 6.1)
Unaugmented Capped Tomestone Gear (590)
Alliance Raid Gear (not in the game yet)

Tier 6)
Extreme Trial weapons, set 2 (595, not in the game yet)

Tier 7)
Savage raid gear
Augmented Capped Tomestone (600)

Tier 8) Savage Raid weapon (605)

Basically you're intended to go into the savage raid with full HQ crafted 580, overmelded with 5 materia in each piece. If you can't clear the raids with that, then over time you accumulate 590 gear from capped tomestones, which makes it easier. The weapon you get with the normal raid token is also part of the 590 capped tomestone set. The gear that drops from savage raids is 600.

If you can't beat it with 590 weapons and gear from capped tomestones, then patch 6.1 will enable you to augment crafted gear to 590, drop alliance raid gear which is also 590, and enable you to augment capped tomestone gear to 600, which you couldn't do before without clearing savage raids. The reason why augmented capped tomestone and savage raid gear are both the same ilvl is because different jobs mix-and-match different pieces from both sets to make their best-in-slot gearset.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Savage drops the 600 tokens and items.
Tonestones gets you the 590s that can be upgraded with tokens that typically come from alliance raids. I'd doubt they're in the game yet
Edit: sounds like one very wrong

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJ posted:

Basically there are multiple ways to get gear. Some are easier to do than others and there's a slight stat difference which means one can be better than another but that only matters if you're doing Savage.

Tomestone Gear is the easiest to get. You'll be able to get it no matter what. However to upgrade it you'll need tokens which come either from Savage or as weekly drops from the 24-man raid when that comes out.
Savage Gear is good but it only comes from Savage so unless you can reliably farm Savage you're not going to have an easy time getting it. The Books are from Savage.
The 580 Crafted gear is the easiest to get but requires you to either craft it yourself or buy it from a crafter so it can be expensive and time consuming.
580 Raid gear is the second easiest to get but has a weekly limit.
580 EX Gear is only weapons and accessories (and it will only be accessories for the first tier, later tiers are all weapons.)

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
You can buy 590 gear for the newest capped tomestones (astrology)
Defeating savage bosses drops ilv 600 gear, tokens to trade for 600 gear, and certain ones drop tokens you can use to upgrade the tome gear to 600
Specific savage fights also drop a token that you can trade along with astro tomestones to get the 590 weapon, which can be upgraded to 600 with a separate token (also from specific savages).
That weapon token can also be bought for 7 of yet another variety of token, which is dropped by the normal mode of the 4th fight (but only once a week)
The final savage fight drops a 605 weapon.

There are two sets (tome and raid) because it lets jobs occasionally mix and match pieces to optimize their substats, or to make gearing easier.

It's confusing, but it's always the same system so you only have to learn it once for every raid tier

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Is there a drop list for the savage bosses? I think i have a good chance of being to pug the first boss or two so i'd want to fill the slots from the later bosses with tomestone gear first.

EDIT: Also am i expected to be in pentamelded gear for party finder? Does it really make that much of a difference compared to the 580 gear i already have?

The one thing i'm surprised by is that there's no upgrade path for the EX gear. Given how much cooler those bosses are than the raid bosses i wouldn't have thought their gear would be so disposable.

CJ fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 4, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJ posted:

Is there a drop list for the savage bosses? I think i have a good chance of being to pug the first boss or two so i'd want to fill the slots from the later bosses with tomestone gear first.

EDIT: Also am i expected to be in pentamelded gear for party finder? Does it really make that much of a difference compared to the 580 gear i already have?

Assuming you play very effectively a full set of pentameld gear can be up to about a 5% increase in damage. That may not sound like a lot but if you're intending to clear Savage on day 1 that 5% actually matters quite a bit in terms of beating DPS checks. This obviously matters a whole lot less as things progress and people both learn the fights and have better gear.

CJ posted:

The one thing i'm surprised by is that there's no upgrade path for the EX gear. Given how much cooler those bosses are than the raid bosses i wouldn't have thought their gear would be so disposable.

Sometime down the line they will add crafted shiny versions of all of those weapons. They don't have better stats but usually have cool glowing effects.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Badger of Basra posted:

I saw a YouTube video about this and they put a wait 1 between the snap and the job change

Yeah, the /wait 1 isn't quite long enough, and /wait 2 is too long.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

CJ posted:

it's probably a good thing. it lets more of the playerbase get their hands on the cool boss-themed weapons, while raiders still have an exclusive tier of rewards they can shoot for (and glam the extreme weapons over if they like those more).

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

CJ posted:

P1S drops accessories, and books that can be used to get accessories
P2S drops hand, feet, and head armor, upgrade items for tomestone accessories, weapon tokens, and books that can be used to get the hands/feet/head/accessory upgrades
P3S drops legs, hands, feet, and head armor, upgrade items for tomestone armor and tomestone weapons, and books that can be used to get leg armor/armor upgrades/weapon upgrades
P4S drops chest armor, weapons, a mount, and books that can be used to get weapons and chest armor

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Trip report:

Was able to HQ the new Master recipes with no botched syntheses. Used Tsai tou Vounou with Cunning Craftsman's Draught, base stats of 3237 Craftsmanship / 3032 Control / 540 CP. Still using overmelded ShB jewelry, will likely upgrade when the next tier is available. Didn't do anything fancy with rotations, leaned on Manipulation with Prudent Touch and Innovation, popping Trained Finesse at 10 stacks followed by Great Strides / Byregot's, then filled progress with Prudent/Intensive Synthesis and Veneration. As usual, HQing the components makes for an easy final synth; something like 7 stacks of Inner Quiet was adequate.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Similar to the crafting question, is there a stat priority for gathering materia?

Also do the hunt vendors add stuff as the expansion goes on?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

The upgrade path for EX weapons is they eventually get a crafted version with a cool unique glow down the line instead of any attempt to make them more than marginally relevant for raiding

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RME posted:

The upgrade path for EX weapons is they eventually get a crafted version with a cool unique glow down the line instead of any attempt to make them more than marginally relevant for raiding

I can't wait to see the next round of ShB ones, I guess it'll be the first Weapon weapons? I need more options for cool glowy chakrams!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Big fan of the zurvan and byakko ones personally

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Begemot posted:

I can't wait to see the next round of ShB ones, I guess it'll be the first Weapon weapons? I need more options for cool glowy chakrams!

We don't have Susano's weapons yet so I would expect them to be one of them since it's like the last thing from pre-ShB that doesn't have one.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

ImpAtom posted:

We don't have Susano's weapons yet so I would expect them to be one of them since it's like the last thing from pre-ShB that doesn't have one.

There are Lakshmi weapons!?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

No glow, it just starts laughing when you draw it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: think I misread something

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

There are Lakshmi weapons!?

No, Lakshmi and Innocence both only had accessories.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The first drat shiny EX weapons they drop better be Titania ones. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

ImpAtom posted:

No, Lakshmi and Innocence both only had accessories.

Aww :(