Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

PlushCow posted:

Since the sale is almost over I'm going to quote myself about a game called Holdfast that's only $6.99; last major sale some goons in this thread tried it and had some fun, maybe you will too!
I haven't played it much, but I have had some hilarious matches. Here's where we get pushed back to one tower so it's like 50 of us in one room getting slaughtered one by one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhBeGCAeyYQ

I think the main issue with holdfast is I think the shooting is kind of lame, but it's till good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Occultatio posted:

I'm considering one last "big ticket" item for the sale, and waffling between Psychonauts 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy. I trust both of them to be good, and I'll probably get the other one in the next sale, but any opinions on which I should play first?

I can't provide a recommendation on which game to get but Psychonauts 2 is on Gamepass if you have that/are interested in getting it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Occultatio posted:

I'm considering one last "big ticket" item for the sale, and waffling between Psychonauts 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy. I trust both of them to be good, and I'll probably get the other one in the next sale, but any opinions on which I should play first?

Guardians was more refreshing for me between the two, as Psychonauts 2 is very close to 1 so you know what you get.

Otherwise it's completely personal preference as both are good but different sort of games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

quote:

There was a time, back in the neanderthal era, so long ago, when Cleve said "it will never go on sale, it will forever be 40 bucks, this is my masterpiece and no shovelware garbage"

Good times, good times.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/650670/Grimoire__Heralds_of_the_Winged_Exemplar_V2/

Maybe don't buy it though, if I remember rightly the dev is a jerk.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Huge jerk, yeah, and to my understanding, the game is bad. 99 cents is still overpaying for it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the difference between mooncrash and deathloop is that mooncrash has more permanent meta progression... deathloop lets you keep weapons, trinkets and powers after you infuse them but that's literally it. the information gathering would be better if there was more flexibility in how you got to use that information, instead of having One Specific Order of Events you have to do to win, which is the same mistake Twelve Minutes made

also Mooncrash's five character concept required a lot more strategy in choosing your route, objective, which you play as in which order, etc. and that's besides the actual moment to moment gameplay being different, with Prey's gameplay being more wide plane than having Deathloop/Dishonored's verticality and much different combat

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Occultatio posted:

Can't speak for Guardians, but Pychonauts 2 is very much like the first game. If that's something you really liked then it's a good option.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Zereth posted:

Wait what? Which one of these does he want to do? :psylon:

Good question. I remember when he fired all his staff (like a loving coward instead of striking out to make a new independent studio) he said he wanted to make smaller games, but the article just makes it sound like he's still trying to make games the size and scope of Bioshock or something just with only like 25 people on staff instead.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Veotax posted:

I remember when he fired all his staff (like a loving coward instead of striking out to make a new independent studio)

Out of curiosity (I have no idea about this fellow or his studio), but if he was the lead / sole owner of a business, doesn't it make sense to keep the company name rather than selling up and starting from the bottom again? So the company name+goodwill is attached to him instead of some other random team?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 4, 2022

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

Huge jerk, yeah, and to my understanding, the game is bad. 99 cents is still overpaying for it.

I don’t think you should give Cleve money, he’s not just a jerk he’s a massive racist. But I also think that at some point I did give him money.

At the end of the day, if you have played wizardry 7 and want to play another one of those, this is basically your best option. It’s not bad, so much as a one man project to emulate a mid 90s monster of a game. Notably, it’s completable, and people who have finished it and like the genre speak positively about it despite all the flaws.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I refused to give cleve money in the past, but after steam's cut and taxes he's getting 50 cents out of that, and I'm ok with him getting 50 cents in exchange for owning a piece of gaming history I've been following off and on for 25 years. I'm pretty sure he has not broken even on the time he has spent on the game.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The sale is almost over so here's a quick recap/recommendation of what I've bought and played for a significant amount of time:

Ender Lilies: Really like it. Awesome visuals and music, tough but fair, interests me more than Hollow Knight ever did. My one complaint is that player attacks, awesome as it looks to summon the spirits, often hinder visibility in melee and leave you to dodge based on feel rather than visual cues.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey: I hate that framerate is constantly dropping regardless of settings but I love that it's practically a mashup of all my favorite open-world games. There's a bit of MGS V in scanning soldiers that might be worth capturing, Shadow Of War's stealth/traversal gameplay is here wholesale, there's even a watered-down version of the nemesis system, and I like the Witchery sort of combat and horse riding. All of that coupled with the franchise's own original ideas, like the sailing, make for a very fun experience.

Attack on Titan 2: I had mentioned this game before but only after playing it some more did I realize the sheer size of it all. This game is huge. The gameplay remains similar throughout so if you don't like giant-slaying musou you might not fancy it, but there's tons of content. It's all pretty fun, I'm slowly but surely getting better at the core gameplay and I've barely begun to dig into character progression so I'm looking forward to playing more. I would say it's almost a must-have if you like grindy musou games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've seen some bad humble choice bundles before but holy moly lol

i played 75 2021 releases, and had a top 69 2021 list, and none of them are here (at least the previous month had Lacuna and Tohu...)

I guess if you really want Iron Harvest or Mafia you can go for it

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 4, 2022

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

i've seen some bad humble choice bundles before but holy moly lol

i played 75 2021 releases, and had a top 69 2021 list, and none of them are here (at least the previous month had Lacuna and Tohu...)
For reference:

Mafia: Definitive Edition
Iron Harvest
Project Winter
Rebel Cops
Rustler
The Henry Stickmin Collection
Farmer's Dynasty
Between The Stars
Retrowave
Midnight Protocol

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Any opinions on Midnight Protocol, Between the Stars, or Rebel Cops from that bundle?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
How's Farmer's Dynasty compare to Stardew?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Kins posted:

For reference:

Iron Harvest
Project Winter
Rebel Cops
Rustler
Farmer's Dynasty
Between The Stars
Retrowave
Midnight Protocol

Henry Stickmin is a gem but maybe not great enough to justify the cost of the whole bundle.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Death Stranding Director's Cut was just announced for a PC port in the Spring. Simultaneous Steam and EGS release. It's a separate store page from the original release, no word on an upgrade option yet.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is Sands of Salazar any good? It looks like it just got released from EA. I tried it like a year plus ago and refunded it- felt super unpolished then. I really like mount and blade, so interested in something like that, but I’m concerned it didn’t manage to work out the polish issues. Most recent reviews seem to be just paid sponsorships, so unsure what to take away from them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Death Stranding Director's Cut was just announced for a PC port in the Spring. Simultaneous Steam and EGS release. It's a separate store page from the original release, no word on an upgrade option yet.
Are any of the features actually game-relevant apart from the new graphics options?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

anilEhilated posted:

Are any of the features actually game-relevant apart from the new graphics options?

An even higher price to allow players to feel that they have bought an even higher quality product!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

PlushCow posted:

Since the sale is almost over I'm going to quote myself about a game called Holdfast that's only $6.99; last major sale some goons in this thread tried it and had some fun, maybe you will too!

holdfast is great, I play it a few times a month and it never gets boring. it always has a few consistently full servers, too. my current fantasy is holdfast VR which would just be so much fun

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the money must be a way better payout from Gamepass for Microsoft to constantly be scooping recent indie releases and IGN/Ziff-Davis is left with mostly 2019 and 2020 detritus

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

The Kins posted:

For reference:

Iron Harvest
Project Winter
Rebel Cops
Rustler
Farmer's Dynasty
Between The Stars
Retrowave
Midnight Protocol

yeah, easy pause decision right there. Mildly interested in Mafia DE, Rustler, Henry Stickmin, and Midnight Protocol, but not nearly enough for me to fork over $12 when I already have such a huge backlog

The 7th Guest posted:

the money must be a way better payout from Gamepass for Microsoft to constantly be scooping recent indie releases and IGN/Ziff-Davis is left with mostly 2019 and 2020 detritus

EGS is also offering more compelling games as freebies, frankly.

with Game Pass in particular, a fun wrinkle is that the "recent indie releases" include every recent and upcoming indie Humble Games itself is publishing on PC; I have no idea whether that arrangement is working out well for Humble, but it certainly makes me more likely to keep pausing my subscription

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 4, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I really enjoyed deathloop but I think it was specifically because I kept online invasions off so there was no reason not to try goofy unoptimal fun stuff, and it seems like if you kept them on it would discourage experimentation in favor of using a safe loadout because you might need to deal with a tryhard player at any time.

If it was just this thread it would be one thing but I’ve seen him randomly whine about it unprompted maybe 4 different times in a discord server too, one of which implied he hadn’t actually played it lol

Jack trades is an Grumpy Man

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

anilEhilated posted:

From what I've seen there's at least a new mission, VR missions, a racing mini-game and a couple more gadgets. Like an artillery cannon to launch cargo, a rideable delivery bot, etc.

I don't think any of it is going to a super worthwhile to people who own the original version. Also, if you haven't played the game don't look up the trailer for the Director's Cut, because Kojima just wasn't holding back when he edited that.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 4, 2022

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I really enjoyed deathloop but I think it was specifically because I kept online invasions off so there was no reason not to try goofy unoptimal fun stuff, and it seems like if you kept them on it would discourage experimentation in favor of using a safe loadout because you might need to deal with a tryhard player at any time.

If it was just this thread it would be one thing but I’ve seen him randomly whine about it unprompted maybe 4 different times in a discord server too, one of which implied he hadn’t actually played it lol

Deathloop owns and having online invasions on added a a fun element of pressure in unexpected points. Julianna popping up when I'm at the end of a fruitful loop is tense and fun and :discourse:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

cleve believes (or at least believed during development) that neanderthals were genetically, morally, and intellectually superior to modern humans. he often used this ideology in posts to reinforce how good the game was going to be because he had a lot of neanderthal dna in him, and therefore was better at things than most people. any criticism of his game was often met with accusations of not having enough of this superior dna to understand the game.

the main place this idea of the 'destroyed' or 'lost' utopian ubermensch neanderthals pops up is in white supremacy circles because supposedly europeans have more neanderthal dna (on average) than africans - so they just work backwards from their assumed superiority to figure that actually it's homo sapiens who is the degenerate. as far as i know he's never gone so far as to put it out publicly that he believes neanderthal dna makes those of european descent genetically, morally, and intellectually superior to those of african descent, but it is a logical end point of him arguing that it makes him genetically, morally, and intellectually superior to those with less or no "neanderthal dna".

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Frog Act posted:

holdfast is great, I play it a few times a month and it never gets boring. it always has a few consistently full servers, too. my current fantasy is holdfast VR which would just be so much fun

It's not exactly the same thing, but there are actually a number of Holdfast maps for Pavlov VR. It's a bit of a hack, but it's got several of Holdfast's maps, the blackpowder guns, most of the classes, and I think even functional artillery:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2643002725&searchtext=holdfast

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Escape Simulator is so good, holy poo poo. Ended up playing 7 hours with my friend the first session.

Also, gonna ask one more time before the sale's over:

gandlethorpe posted:

Weird question: Is the store homepage tile for "Role-Playing Games" from anything? The skill tree looks interesting lol

For reference

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ghostlight posted:

cleve believes (or at least believed during development) that neanderthals were genetically, morally, and intellectually superior to modern humans. he often used this ideology in posts to reinforce how good the game was going to be because he had a lot of neanderthal dna in him, and therefore was better at things than most people. any criticism of his game was often met with accusations of not having enough of this superior dna to understand the game.

the main place this idea of the 'destroyed' or 'lost' utopian ubermensch neanderthals pops up is in white supremacy circles because supposedly europeans have more neanderthal dna (on average) than africans - so they just work backwards from their assumed superiority to figure that actually it's homo sapiens who is the degenerate. as far as i know he's never gone so far as to put it out publicly that he believes neanderthal dna makes those of european descent genetically, morally, and intellectually superior to those of african descent, but it is a logical end point of him arguing that it makes him genetically, morally, and intellectually superior to those with less or no "neanderthal dna".

Neanderthals are extinct and we're not, so....

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Mass Effect LE is being added to ea play if anyone else was waiting for that. Playable with a game pass sub as well.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Wiltsghost posted:

Mass Effect LE is being added to ea play if anyone else was waiting for that. Playable with a game pass sub as well.

That's great news, thanks for flagging it!

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

Escape Simulator is so good, holy poo poo. Ended up playing 7 hours with my friend the first session.

Also, gonna ask one more time before the sale's over:

For reference

Killsquad

Milo and POTUS posted:

The steam sale main page has is broken into genres in mine and the one for strategy games has what looks to be a thatched hut on mech legs. What's that from?

Kainga: Seeds of Civilization

Zathril fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 4, 2022

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

HopperUK posted:

That's great news, thanks for flagging it!

Looks like the 6th is the day.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Wiltsghost posted:

Looks like the 6th is the day.

The epiphany of our lord Jane Shepard.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Playing back through ME1 with a controller is super nice.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Kind of late but eh, haven't been in a gaming mood for a bit so here's a wrap up of 2021 for me.

Nier Automata: 11/10. Loved it, had a blast with the various replays and endings, overall a great game. Combat was fine but definitely wouldn't play it for the difficulty. Didn't really go into review detail when I beat it, but I remember the soundtrack staying with me for weeks afterwards.

Dust An Elysian Tale: Got a bad rap as a "furry" game when it came out, but was a massively fun game with great art style and design. The story was a bit incoherent since it was part one of a planned series and nothing's been released since then. It really felt like I was playing a beautifully drawn 1990s cartoon.

pentyne posted:

Dust An Elysian Tale

Winter Wolves VN Dump
The Heileen games went from amusingly bad to actually trash fire bad going from 1 to 3. The Bionic Heart games were much more enjoyable with far more effort put into the story and branching options, enough that I actually replayed it several times to see where the story would go.

Yakuza Kiwami 2
Absolutely incredible. Such a massive improvement even from Yak0 and K1. I know its popular to tell people to skip K1 because K2 is so good but this series is so good it's a crime to skip any of them.

pentyne posted:

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Life is Strange 2
A huge change from the previous title, everything from overall narrative style to the types of characters. A completely different gaming experience that was just a few small details away from being one of the best Telltale style adventure games in a while. Also pissed off a ton of capital G gamers which is always fun.

pentyne posted:

Life is Strange 2

Pathologic 2

Buy Pathologic 2. Really all there is to be said.

pentyne posted:

Pathologic 2

loving what is going on its miserable and depressing and its just running back and forth between quest markers while scrounging for water & food and hoping for some reason a bunch of townspeople don't decide to chase me down and beat me to death

pentyne posted:

Pathologic 2 is aggressively un-fun and might be the tiniest bit bearable if the walk/run speeds were better.

pentyne posted:

I came around a bit on Pathologic 2 after setting it to the easiest settings I could.

pentyne posted:

Pathologic 2: It's an extremely niche game, and if that is your niche, probably 11/10 one of the best games you'll ever play.

Pathfinder Kingmaker
It's a 100 hr beast of a crpg with an insane amount of options for playstyle, but it's also got some god awful ideas they took straight from the tabletop game that even most ttrpg players make house rules to ignore or get around. Thankfully has an insane easy to install mod called Bag of Tricks that fixes 90% of the problems. Still has some pretty bad moments but is overall an unmatched crpg narrative experience.

pentyne posted:

Pathfinder Kingmaker
If you played Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and loved them, this is the closet anything has ever come to recreating that feeling for me.

Tell Me Why
A bit of a letdown from the makers of Life is Strange. The big feature is the player character is trans, but it's not like they do anything with it beyond a handful of mentions. Given their previous game had some horrific racism directed at it's Latino player character, it seems pretty weak that the game pretends like transphobic people don't exist.

pentyne posted:

Tell Me Why

Disco Elysium
Seriously one of the best written games ever, along with completely unmatched diversity in a gaming experience depending on how you approach solving the game's problems. Easily a all time great for the industry. So good I couldn't even figure out how to review or explain it after I beat it.

Divinity Original Sin
Very hard to enjoy for me because of a lot of problems with how the game is paced and designed. But it has maybe the best combat system ever designed for a turn based game. Needed a step by step walk-through to manage it but always had a blast in combat.

pentyne posted:

Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition

So, all that aside, why would anyone like or enjoy this game?

Combat.

Age of Decadence
Sort of not-Rome after the fall of a major empire due to a civil war. The merchant (social) playthrough was very good, enough that I wanted to see the rest of the game. Then I learned the combat is punishingly brutal. Still had a ton of cool stuff to find and explore. A hybrid character is necessary to really see "all' of the content but also means every combat encounter is extremely hard.

pentyne posted:

Age of Decadence

I have to say this was a massive surprise in how much fun it is. I beat a single run in one sitting, about 4-5 or so hours because it kept up a fast pace and had no weird filler or grinding moments, just moving from one area of progression to another.

pentyne posted:

Playing a hybrid class more of less required perfect outcomes for combat to work in the beginning. Early on there was a fight, and I followed a guide that said if you didn't start first, reload. Throw a bomb and if it doesn't knock down the shield fighter, reload.

Yakuza 3
A bit of a let down in the series so far. Still pretty fun at all times despite a few annoyances, and the hostess minigame is trash tier.

pentyne posted:

Yakuza 3

The Shenmue Trilogy.
I posted a lot of things about these games, and went through a massive emotional rollercoaster while playing them, but overall somehow look back on the games as a good experience. Played Shenmue 1 with a detailed walkthrough to see all the extra content. Cheated unlimited money into Shenmue 2, and then exploited the gambling in Shenmue 3 for extra money when I needed to. There were more then a few posts I made while playing each game, and if you click through you'll see a lot more detail in other posts then what I tried to summarize

pentyne posted:

Shemue 1

Where to begin. So many thoughts, praises, and criticisms swilling around in my head. Let's start with the strongest feelings..

pentyne posted:

Shenmue II
Overall, it's got a lot of problems and none of the charm Shenmue 1 has, but it's not a terrible game, just kind of a boring one.

pentyne posted:

Shenmue III

Taken as a whole, it's a solid, enjoyable game wrapped in rusty barbed wire. I can't imagine enjoying it if you play as the creator intended.

Killer is Dead

suda51 has a reputation, but this kind of felt like a quick low budget action arcade style game, where it's really more for score/time attack people.

pentyne posted:

Killer is Dead
Knowing nothing about this game, I'd assume it was a $20 budget title that did a decent job for its limited resources.

Pyre
From Supergiant, and probably their most creative game that almost bankrupted the company. Very innovative and interesting but the fantasy basketball mechanic was a bit too strange to really get into.

pentyne posted:

Pyre
Overall a 8/10. That's pretty heavily weighted in favor of just how good the presentation is and not the actual game-play.

Final Fantasy IX
Loved it, felt like I was playing a SNES pixel rpg just with modern graphics and everything. Also needed to use the turbo button frequently because the game just drags on like crazy. Also a ton of missable items and having to constantly backtrack all over the game world to find things as the game progresses.

pentyne posted:

Final Fantasy IX

If you want a late 90s jrpg you can't really do much better then this game. That comes with the understanding that a core design philosophy for jrpgs around that time was naked contempt for the player.

Cyberpunk 2077
Wait for a sale. It's got a lot of bad parts but the overall main story and major side missions are really good. All the rest feels like procedurally generated things. Cannot overstate how bad the car driving is, to where I'm sure I spent 95% of the time on the motorbike since it was the only thing that actually felt drivable.

pentyne posted:

Cyberpunk 2077

Get used to this

Horizon Zero Dawn
I was playing this for such long periods of time my hands started hurting from holding the controller too much. Seriously great game.

pentyne posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn.

thank god Sephora survived the end of the world

Umurangi Generation
Incredible photo simulator in an incredible setting. Seriously a hidden gem that is worth it at full price.

pentyne posted:

Umurangi Generation

Extremely interesting Pokeman Snap like game set in New Zealand as the world is falling apart around you.

Amnesia The Dark Descent
A great horror game, probably one you can compare to all others as a great standard for a first person horror experience. No real jump scares, just an overall great design with incredible use of sound and audio to heighten the experience.

pentyne posted:

Amnesia The Dark Descent

Hatoful Boyfriend
Big surprise it turned out to be way more the a gimmick bird dating VN. Lots of fun with a great variety of branching story options too.

pentyne posted:

Hatoful Boyfriend

Bird Dating Simulator.

Return of the Obra Dinn
Just incredible. I don't go for puzzle games but this was astounding. There's literally nothing but still frames and audio in the memories but it was so good that when thinking back it honestly felt like it had been animated

pentyne posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn

Forensic spiritual medium insurance adjuster simulator is a unique genre. The game is very bare bones in most regards in terms of hand-holding or tutorials. It just throws you into the ship and says "figure it out"

D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die
Weird, bizarre, and fun but only 2/5 planned episodes and this game is dead. Not worth buying but if you own from a bundle or a previous sale worth checking out.

pentyne posted:

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die

So, first off, this is an unfinished game. It's not really obvious from any of the store info until you see a review that outright says the game is incomplete. With that being said, it is distilled perfect SWERY weirdness, inspired by his crazy love of serial TV and the Twin Peaks-esque msytery genre.

Batch of indie games/junk that caught my eye. Nothing really worth it. Always Sometimes Monsters was an indie darling at some point but everything about the game feels extremely problematic.

pentyne posted:

Always Sometimes Monsters:
Monster Loves You:
A Wild Catgirl Appears:
Elegy for a Dead World:

More random cool looking things. Seemed pretty good but didn't interest me after ~hour playing around in each.

pentyne posted:

Another chunk of "can't remember buying" games

Outdrive

Okhlos: Omega

Human Resource Machine

Another pile of indie/odd games

pentyne posted:

Card City Nights: Cute, mobile looking game that's a deckbuilder rpg.
Karakara: Anime VN that immediately gives off the "go to out website for the patch to unlock the 18+ content but checking the steam store page was so much more blatant then I ever expect.
Renowned Explorers: International Society: Set up as a mix of a roguelike exploration game with some RPS tactics combat.
The Sun at Night: The most positive thing I can say about it is that it looks like a very competent Newgrounds game.

Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous
Another blockbuster epic crpg. Very similar in many ways to Kingmaker but expands on a ton more things. Played it on release and dealt with a mountain of bugs and glitches but its current state is pretty solid.

pentyne posted:

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

If you heard about Kingmaker you probably heard no end of horror stories about bugs, glitches, and unplayable game states.

Well, this is technically better in that you can currently beat the game.

Life is Strange True Colors
What definitely feels like a great entry in the series that sort of falls off from being too short as a result of covid rushed production

pentyne posted:

Life is Strange True Colors
Overall it’s a great idea with a lot of great things going on that just end way too quickly. This is definitely one of those “how much is this experience worth” kinds of things.

Road Redemption
It's Road Rash, that's it.

pentyne posted:

Road Redemption
It's literally modern Road Rash, like almost perfectly.

Metro Last Light
Overall feels more like they just made the same game as Metro 2033 but different story. Nothing new or super engaging about it beyond advancing the series.

pentyne posted:

Metro Last Light

I kind of expected like a big upgrade from Metro 2033, and from memory when it was released it was widely praised as superior but in general was pretty much just the same, all the same problems and issues for the most part.

Greedfall
Hard to really summarize beyond "maybe buy it?" based on standards for eurojank crpgs.

pentyne posted:

Can't believe it took me so long but I finally beat Greedfall. Overall, it's like a pretty good game that constantly face-plants into the concrete over it's own dumb mistakes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Away all Goats posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdRLNUGmFC8

I never really appreciated how good L4D's zombie animations were until now.

I just watched this, my friends and I played about 150 hours of L4D2 and before the Back 4 Blood beta started we decided to go back and ended up playing another dozen or so. The commentary track really helps drive the point home but we all came to these same conclusions at the time as well. When they make the basic act of killing zombies as unique and visceral as they did in L4D, you want to keep playing even if you're not unlocking new poo poo or leveling up because it's just fun to play. B4B felt like a cheap imitation made by people who had no idea what made those games so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Thanks! That actually does look like it combines a bunch of things I'm picky about with topdown ARPGs. I'll at the very least add it to my wishlist to revisit in the future, hah.