Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

What's the difference between a suicide drone and a cruise missile, other than Raytheon's cut?
e: asked and answered. The most shameful snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

in unrelated news, Kazakhstan is starting off 2022 strong, having progressed from "scattered protests in outer regions" to "extensive riots in the largest city almost commandeering an APC" in about 3 days after a removal of price caps resulted in a prompt twofold increase in fuel prices

The Invisible Hand of the Free Market

... works?

I'm teetering on the edge of an existential crisis here.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It'll never happen there because there are no roads on the other side that could/would handle the volume. The only road that would make the least bit of sense to connect across the river would be Indian Head Hwy, but unfortunately there's a military base in the way on the MD side and a State Park and about a *billion* single family homes on the VA side.

Yeah I generally assumed you'd have to build a new freeway connection up to 495 on the Maryland side since there's gently caress all on the Western Shore. Crossing at Indian Head from Mason Neck would also potentially spoil ~*the untrammeled vista*~ of Mount Vernon and get the MVLA to put out a hit on you.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hekk posted:

Was going to post the same thing. How are drones suicide? Isn’t that kind of the point in using something machine?

Edit-improvised guided explosives maybe? Something like that but certainly the opposite of suicide.

I just assume that it's "suicide" to remind you that it's being delivered by those sneaky, life-devaluing Musselmen instead of by the upstanding upholders of democracy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Platystemon posted:

Then there’s the other side, with nothing between the western beltway crossing and US-15 at the Point of Rocks.

Ram an expressway across Lowes Island :getin:

Trump National Golf Club. :colbert:

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Yeah I generally assumed you'd have to build a new freeway connection up to 495 on the Maryland side since there's gently caress all on the Western Shore. Crossing at Indian Head from Mason Neck would also potentially spoil ~*the untrammeled vista*~ of Mount Vernon and get the MVLA to put out a hit on you.

Yeah, more like it'd spoil the majesty of ultra-rich douchebag's "Miscellaneous Landing"-named compound/estates on the river to have to look at a bridge. Not even a tunnel would work.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Trump National Golf Club. :colbert:

:thejoke:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's a shame the preparedness well has been so poisoned by shitheads. It's kinda fun to prep for poo poo

I wish I had the time to effortpost more in this thread that BAF and I coauthored but we intentionally wanted to make a non-chud space to talk about that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941131&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
if it's not from the general atomics region of the beltway then it's not a drone it's just a sparkling unmanned aerial vehicle

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I wish I had the time to effortpost more in this thread that BAF and I coauthored but we intentionally wanted to make a non-chud space to talk about that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941131&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Yeah that was fun writing that poo poo up. Wish I had more time as well.

As far as other non chud resources, r/preppers is pretty decent. They downvote anti vaxxers and right wing lunatics quite regularly, and it's got a lot of good info. Reddit has a lot of toxic as gently caress subreddits, but that one thankfully is pretty decent.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there an online resource where I can look up traffic through-rates or whatever. Some sort of interactive map maybe

Every state does it a bit differently, but if you google “(state) traffic count map” for whatever state your looking for you can usually find it.

For example, this is the one I use here for work here in SC from the SCOT website:

https://scdottrafficdata.drakewell.com/publicmultinodemap.asp

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

IPCRESS posted:

What's the difference between a suicide drone and a cruise missile, other than Raytheon's cut?

Targeting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

piL posted:

Targeting.

:eyepop:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

IPCRESS posted:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

ADA is badass. Just sayin.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

pkells posted:

Every state does it a bit differently, but if you google “(state) traffic count map” for whatever state your looking for you can usually find it.

For example, this is the one I use here for work here in SC from the SCOT website:

https://scdottrafficdata.drakewell.com/publicmultinodemap.asp

Echoing, but there is very little DOT stuff that isn't public domain.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

BUG JUG posted:

ADA is badass. Just sayin.

The hell it is! Maybe the concept of ADA is cool but after having been attached to a Patriot unit they can all suck my dick

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The 95 sucks rear end, I lived in Stafford for 12 years and never saw a worse stretch of asphalt in my life.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tenchrono posted:

The 95 sucks rear end, I lived in Stafford for 12 years and never saw a worse stretch of asphalt in my life.

The best part is that the Gucci Lanes they're adding along that stretch will have little to no safe connections to the main travel lanes (and the ones that *do* exist are few and far between), so even if they were up and running, they couldn't have been used, and if people had become stranded on them they'd have been even more hosed and isolated than the people in the chattel lanes because all the exits are flyover-type. :capitalism:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 5, 2022

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Tenchrono posted:

I lived in the DC area for about a year and a half and I dreaded the stretch between the Beltway and Richmond the few times I drove it. What a nightmare of a road.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The absolute worst unit I ever saw was a NG ADA unit. Multiple troopers- up to E6 were unsure of which way bullets point in mags. I have no clue how their MOS specific skills were, but the amount of peeps who had no concept of basic soldier tasks- poo poo like 'open bolt vs closed bolt', or 'how a compass works'- was disturbing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Everyone sucks at land nav, and compasses are a mystery to most people. That's not terribly indicative because it's a force wide problem solved by issuing gps units in the future, that CIF will charge a fortune for if you scratch the case.

The other stuff is pretty worrying, but land nav in training is hilariously brief, anyone could forget it without at least infrequent use.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Everyone sucks at land nav, and compasses are a mystery to most people. That's not terribly indicative because it's a force wide problem solved by issuing gps units in the future, that CIF will charge a fortune for if you scratch the case.

The other stuff is pretty worrying, but land nav in training is hilariously brief, anyone could forget it without at least infrequent use.

I did really good at land nav until we did a night one and I kept my rifle on my chest right next to the compass and I walked off a cliff.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Using a steel fencepost as a rest to shoot an azimuth.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Dismounted land nav is very easy. Mounted, much less so.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I have a military compass still, brunton or lensatic or whatever, it's pretty nice. I really liked doing land nav, but it wasn't foreign to me going in, and I still remember how to use it. Meanwhile, I've known plenty of people who can't find east at sunrise.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Armor branch spends a lot of time on land nav for it's lieutenants, both ABOLC and the Army Reconnaissance Course (which most 19As go through) teach it with a focus on using terrain association to navigate unlike most of the Army that mainly just seems to teach dead reckoning. The final ABOLC land nav test was some kind of STAR course and ARC only had you navigate to terrain features, OCS was the last time I did a standard "find these 5 exact points" style course. I'd wager armor LT's easily get the most in-depth land nav training in the regular army.

Land nav is one of the few things I thoroughly enjoyed in the Army, one of my best memories was walking through the woods looking for a point in OCS while in the middle of a torrential downpour. You don't really beat brush like that too often as a civilian where there's usually a trail to follow.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I have a military compass still, brunton or lensatic or whatever, it's pretty nice. I really liked doing land nav, but it wasn't foreign to me going in, and I still remember how to use it. Meanwhile, I've known plenty of people who can't find east at sunrise.

Had this bizarre rear end book in 4th grade where this one kid basically gets accidentally kidnapped by some convenience store robbers and has to jump out I'm the middle of the fuckin desert I slept through many times, so road trips out of NV got less fun for younger me.

His entire strategy hinged on making it back to the freeway after being miles off the road and he almost dies a bunch in like 50 miles.

I think that stuck with me cus now I never go hiking without a full days water and like 3 ways to find direction.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 5, 2022

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Wasabi the J posted:

I think that stuck with me cus now I never go hiking without a full days water and like 3 ways to find direction.

You're doing the right thing. Never hit the backcountry without your 10 essentials. I loved teaching kids landnav back when I was working at Philmont, but I only had to teach baseplate compasses. I've never worked with a lensatic compass. But there's an orienteering club around town that's really tempting me to get back into it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Starting to see some spicy claimed happenings out of Kazakhstan now

https://twitter.com/Peter__Leonard/status/1478661502370516993?t=qKVtYh3Z_dSvuVxECeHo3g&s=19

https://twitter.com/Peter__Leonard/status/1478657291264180231?t=GpPdAAoB9wjXicX2jfdZYQ&s=19

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Did Russia pull a "look over here" with Ukraine? The ol reverse Kazakh?

Or did a good thing finally happen and they get rid of an actual lovely despot?

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 5, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Laranzu posted:

Did Russia pull a "look over here" with Ukraine? The ol reverse Kazakh?

Or did a good thing finally happen and they get rid of an actual lovely despot?

The latter, but it just got going. Started three days ago with organic protests triggered by the gas prise trippling - and then people saw themselves, understood what they were doing and veritably exploded. If they government is actually having mass scale desertions from the security organs then this is a revolution.

E.
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1478703455506247681?t=ECuyJAbT9Pqnxbded0pMUw&s=19

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 5, 2022

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I forgot that K2 is in Uzbekistan instead of Kazakhstan and just had a second of worry for our guys til I googled it.

From a purely academic viewpoint, this should be interesting to see how it unfolds, especially compared to the Arab Spring. Hopefully the Kazak govt doesn't open up on civilians with live ammunition. Hopefully it doesn't end up in a civil war.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Brute Squad posted:

You're doing the right thing. Never hit the backcountry without your 10 essentials. I loved teaching kids landnav back when I was working at Philmont, but I only had to teach baseplate compasses. I've never worked with a lensatic compass. But there's an orienteering club around town that's really tempting me to get back into it.

They're nice compasses, but they have gone up in price over the years. I think mine was about $30 a decade ago, about $50 now and tritium ones are north of $100.

Those compasses are great alone because you can dial in magnetic declination on a ring around the face for reference.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Brute Squad posted:

What are the 10 essentials?

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

That Works posted:

What are the 10 essentials?

https://www.nps.gov/articles/10essentials.htm

Navigation
Sun Protection
Insulation
Illumination
First Aid
Fire
Repair kit/knife
Food
Hydration
Shelter

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
In cadet times and initial training, land nav was always my favorite. A solo task outdoors where no one fucks with you for like 5 straight hours. If you finish early, go ahead and stay out there and just look at plants or birds or something unless time actually matters for some reason.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That list is missing the most essential thing for preppers

Tacticool AR with at least a dozen mags
Minimum 2 pistols
Huge gently caress-off shotgun
Costco bucket of beans

I kid obviously, that's a good list.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Don't forget their gold krugerrands.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

I forgot that K2 is in Uzbekistan instead of Kazakhstan and just had a second of worry for our guys til I googled it.

From a purely academic viewpoint, this should be interesting to see how it unfolds, especially compared to the Arab Spring. Hopefully the Kazak govt doesn't open up on civilians with live ammunition. Hopefully it doesn't end up in a civil war.

Luckily the US has been out of K2 for a while. Pretty much all air went through other places into Afghanistan through the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

mlmp08 posted:

In cadet times and initial training, land nav was always my favorite. A solo task outdoors where no one fucks with you for like 5 straight hours. If you finish early, go ahead and stay out there and just look at plants or birds or something unless time actually matters for some reason.

In undergrad I remember all the ROTC cadets had to go on a big weekend land nav exercise at a base across the state. Come Monday everyone was still gone and we were all wondering wtf. Apparently one group managed to get hopelessly lost and it took all night for the search parties to find them. No one was allowed to leave till the search and rescue was completed, and everyone got their rear end chewed out for being dumb.

It was a big mess because quite a few students missed exams that Monday and the university had to get involved because some professors refused to consider being stuck on base because some other cadets got lost a valid excused absence.