Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

spacetoaster posted:

AITA for deliberately making GBS threads my pants after my brother in law said to me "I dare you to poo poo your pants, bitch"
I have a lot of respect around my town for being willing to do dares
That's not "respect", you are a laughing stock.

quote:

YTA I was on your side right up until it wasn’t in your own home or in neutral territory. You just don’t poo poo yourself in someone else’s house.
This redditor thinks the only crime is filling your pants while a guest, totally fine/normal to do it in your own abode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mother fucker gave him a no win and this chumblefuck went, hey, teach, not only can I not save the kyobashi maru but I hope the transporter is working because pfffffffft

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

r/relationships: I stood up, stared him in the eye, and poo poo my pants

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Cool Dad posted:

Hell yeah

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

PancakeTransmission posted:

That's not "respect", you are a laughing stock.

That line is honestly one of the funniest/oblivious lines I've seen in any iteration of this thread. "I'm very respected for doing the dumbest stuff possible", yes I'm sure you are you complete dipstick.

Who still does dares in their 30s??

Barudak
May 7, 2007

webmeister posted:

That line is honestly one of the funniest/oblivious lines I've seen in any iteration of this thread. "I'm very respected for doing the dumbest stuff possible", yes I'm sure you are you complete dipstick.

Who still does dares in their 30s??

The cast of "Jackass"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also like we do Toxxes here and almost everyone is in their 30's or 40's :v:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Zore posted:

Also like we do Toxxes here and almost everyone is in their 30's or 40's :v:

Nah, toxxing isn't a dare because someone else isn't coming up with what the person needs to do.

What you're talking about is a mod challenge.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

What is wrong with that man’s guts that he can just immediately poo poo on command?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Metis of the Hallways posted:

Link to original piss tub divorce machine post, + text

My (25f) husband and two friends (all 25) peed in the hot-tub when I was sitting in it with them last night. I feel so disrespected and grossed out but he keeps saying "you're making WAY too big a deal of this."

(update) I posted the other day about my husband and his friends peeing in the hot-tub while I was in it with them. TLDR: we are getting a divorce.

lol thank you this story rules

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

AITA for deliberately making GBS threads my pants after my brother in law said to me "I dare you to poo poo your pants, bitch"

Degrading yourself on command is a talent, right? This man's extraordinary gifts should be nurtured, someone call Professor X

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Wall of text that may be revenge fantasy but still thought it was satisfying enough to share...

Need Advice on Dissappearing from His Life

Update 1

Update 2

Very strong

energy in that series of events/creative writing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

teen witch posted:

ok, how are we feeling re:

r/relationships: I’m sorry why are you marrying a man that pissed on your head?

Is having some punctuation not allowed in thread titles impossible to fix?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Mx. posted:

AITA for not giving up my train seat?

Yes, she kind of is, but he sucks too for harassing a 7 year old and making such a big deal about it that he got kicked off the train.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

QuarkJets posted:

Degrading yourself on command is a talent, right? This man's extraordinary gifts should be nurtured, someone call Professor X

I'm the best at what I do, but what I do ain't pretty.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

blackmet posted:

Yes, she kind of is, but he sucks too for harassing a 7 year old and making such a big deal about it that he got kicked off the train.

Yeah ESH, including the train company

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mx. posted:

AITA for not giving up my train seat?

A handy rule of thumb is that if the staff is siding against the person who is technically in the right, that person is way out of line. Evicting paying customers is not good business and is not done unless strictly necessary.

Zore posted:

Why is that surprising? AITA and this thread are almost always on the same page if you go look up the story back there. I can't remember the last time their consensus was really buck wild or opposite the one here.

The main difference between this thread and AITA is that they are really big on decorum over there, which wouldn't apply here because what this sister is doing is applying weapons-grade decorum. I have a couple friends who do the same thing and it's insanely powerful.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Cool Dad posted:

the two genders: he pissed on my head and i poo poo my pants

wait...

*checks notes in confusion*

the...one gender?!

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The main difference between this thread and AITA is that they are really big on decorum over there, which wouldn't apply here because what this sister is doing is applying weapons-grade decorum. I have a couple friends who do the same thing and it's insanely powerful.

Yep. In that story about the woman who made a sarcastic remark after her manchild boyfriend left her alone to clean up the toilet his guest clogged, there were an uncomfortable number of comments saying she should have dropped it until they were alone. She's not even the one who brought it up though. His friend did, and then the guy tripped all over himself to explain that she liked cleaning and they were both happy with their division of labor. She'd tried talking privately about the chores before and he blew her off, but now she's supposed to stand there while he's putting words in her mouth?

Though sometimes I have a hard time telling how many of the bad takes on that kind of story are decorum poisoning and how many are just good, old-fashioned sexism. The dude can behave like an absolute infant, ditch chores by claiming he's just no good at them, and brag to his buds about how his little woman has no complaints, but god forbid she not swallow all that and tiptoe around his feelings!

And then he called his mom on her? I hope to hell that OP has the sense to send him back to his mommy for good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

deety posted:

Though sometimes I have a hard time telling how many of the bad takes on that kind of story are decorum poisoning and how many are just good, old-fashioned sexism.

There's lots of overlap.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Is having some punctuation not allowed in thread titles impossible to fix?

I have consistently gotten an error message when using an apostrophe and ONLY an apostrophe, but I know it’s doable (I checked last night)

If anyone knows how to circumvent that please let me know because it’s been bugging me for some time

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It looks like you're using the slightly angled apostrophe (’) rather than the straight one ('). I was gonna say you're using the diacritical apostrophe, but that is a third kind of apostrophe (´) according to my keyboard, and yours (and the reddit post in question's) is not a key mine has at all.

My wager is keyboard weirdness (possibly related to OS, because (’) seems to be the default on Apple products), and it would work if you copy paste the straight (') apostrophe from a post that uses it.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
apparently not being able to put apostrophes in thread titles is a Thing, it just happened in another thread (can't remember which one of course)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It looks like you're using the slightly angled apostrophe (’) rather than the straight one ('). I was gonna say you're using the diacritical apostrophe, but that is a third kind of apostrophe (´) according to my keyboard, and yours (and the reddit post in question's) is not a key mine has at all.

My wager is keyboard weirdness (possibly related to OS, because (’) seems to be the default on Apple products), and it would work if you copy paste the straight (') apostrophe from a post that uses it.

Bingo! And yes, that’s the default on iOS, which that might be good for someone to know about (even though you can get to the other types of apostrophes by holding down the key).

gently caress, thank you, it’s bugged me for at least a solid year!!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Cool! Now I also know how to tell if people are phone posting, which I don’t know if has any applicability but I'm sure can be applied for evil somehow.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Cool! Now I also know how to tell if people are phone posting, which I don’t know if has any applicability but I'm sure can be applied for evil somehow.

Why is your post using two different apostrophes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
opsec

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My (34M) father(63) lied about a situation and now I'm trapped in his house for a month

quote:

So three weeks ago my father asked me to "spend Christmas" with his badly traumatised house guest (48F). I actually like this person (as a friend) but up until now I've only really spent short periods of time with them.

My father and his wife were headed to New York to see my step mom's daughter for Christmas. What I didn't know at the time was that they were heading to Cuba afterwards on a back to back holiday. I didn't find this out until after they left.

The person I am ostensibly looking after is massively traumatised and not capable of being alone, especially at night. Decades of trauma have left them kinda incapable of functioning and what they really actually need is some kind of live in, life skills therapy. I don't even know if that exists.

What I've now discovered is that living with them is insanely stressful and I have no idea how to handle it because I am not a healthcare professional.

Also, I don't own a vehicle because my apartment is downtown right near transit. Now though, I'm dependent on this person to get me to work... but they don't always feel capable of leaving the house. So on several occasions I have had to call a taxi due to their last minute refusal, costing me upwards of $80 per day.

I'm not mad at the person I'm caring for. I'm absolutely loving furious at my father for lying by omission about the situation. I don't want this person to know about my feelings because they would assume blame and feel guilt. But holding these feelings in is causing me to become frustrated in other situations, like at work.

So what the gently caress do I do? I mean I'm planning on just sucking it up for the rest of the time but afterwards I plan on telling my father I'm never doing him another favour in my life.

TL;DR - left to look after someone with decades of trauma while my dad and his wife enjoy TWO back to back vacations.

quote:

Yes he absolutely does. His wife handles the money and she is a notoriously cheap person... except when it comes to buying her daughter a million dollar apartment in one a major city...

quote:

I was told I'd be staying at my dad's house with this person (I've done this previously over the odd weekend) and always enjoyed it. My father owns a 7 bedroom house in the nicest part of town so I enjoy going there and I have become friends with their houseguest. I'm keeping details vague about them because they escaped from a militant cult in another county, but one that has members in my county.

quote:

Not related to me or my father. He took them in from connections through his church. They live here with my dad and his wife, who take care of them normally.

quote:

I have begun collecting my compensation by drinking from his extensive wine collection

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

teen witch posted:

My (34M) father(63) lied about a situation and now I'm trapped in his house for a month

Would it make me the rear end in a top hat to suggest OP just leave and call adult protective services?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

8one6 posted:

Would it make me the rear end in a top hat to suggest OP just leave and call adult protective services?

Op is in Canada which apparently doesn’t quite have APS which…is odd

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Shithouse Dave posted:

What is wrong with that man’s guts that he can just immediately poo poo on command?

Great post/avatar combo but also, is it a dare?

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Facebook Aunt posted:

LOL no one respects him for this.

But people call him "the Daremeister"!!

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Wait, are you referring to the sister who is saying things like "why are you whispering about a pride flag?" as using "weapons-grade decorum"? I think she's just doing what people recommend you to do bring bigots down a peg: ask them to explain their bigotry.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

teen witch posted:

Real Achewood energy from "lied about a situation" and "I have begun collecting my compensation"

like I think this person actually just talks this way but what the hell

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

OhAreThey posted:

Wait, are you referring to the sister who is saying things like "why are you whispering about a pride flag?" as using "weapons-grade decorum"? I think she's just doing what people recommend you to do bring bigots down a peg: ask them to explain their bigotry.

no

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

quote:

Hi,

I have a lot of respect around my town for being willing to do dares, I have had this talent since I was a kid and I still do now even though I am in my 30's. I was boasting about my ability to dares, and I admit it is wrong to boast, but my brother in law called me out in a rude way and told me stop boasting. This was a few months ago but is still causing issues by the way.

So I told him he was just jealous of my talent for doing dares and I told him I could do any dare, and he said to me: "I dare you to poo poo your pants, bitch." He called me a bitch.

Now I do not take an insult of that lightly. It is an affront to my honor and my reputation. My wife tried to cool us down but I just stood up, stared him in the eye, and I poo poo in my pants. In hindsight maybe it was not the wise thing to do, but I felt I had to prove myself.

Well everything went banana's after that. My brother in law and his wife were disgusted and started yelling for me and my wife to leave, saying I was "hosed up" and could never come back, the kids at the party were crying, and all the other family and friends there were ganging up on me too. I didn't respond maturely but me and my wife did leave, my wife did not talk to me for 3 days.

My wife and I are on good terms again but to this day months later my brother in law and his wife are not even speaking to us on the phone and are poo poo talking us in group chats and on Facebook. I think they are being ridiculous and petty. Even if I were to say I should not have done what I did, I think they are overreacting. And he is the one who dared me to begin with.

So, wanted to see what Reddit says.
I'm hoping against hope that this incident occurred in the local Chuck E. Cheese of a small southern town during a birthday celebration

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for not drinking around my largely sober friends?

quote:

Over the new year I (25f) went to a small get together with some of my friends for the weekend. Since it was New Years Eve I packed several beers to enjoy while we were there. I've always been more of a drinker than this group of friends, think 1 or 2 drinks when we go out Vs. my 4 or 5.

New Years Eve I'm admittedly getting quite tipsy, not black out, I remember everything, just louder and more inappropriate. One of my friends however keeps side eyeing me and then attempts to take my beer from me saying, "I think you should stop." This was my eighth beer, so I shrug, chug it and say "Ok", I didn't have anymore that night but the looks I was getting were so transparently judgmental that I began to feel guilty. At bedtime I was told that I could have the private room at the end of the house while the others slept in the living room, when I said I was ok to take the couch, it was insisted I take the room alone. Now booze always makes me more emotional, usually for the happy better but I was already crestfallen so that was the straw that broke the sad drunk camel's back. Feeling banished I went to the room misty eyed and tried to have a silent drunken cry until I fell asleep.

The next day, my friends told me that the amount I drank last night made them uncomfortable and that they heard me crying and never want me to drink that much in front of them again. They are allowed to have boundaries with me and so I apologized and said I wouldn't do it again. I only had four drinks left at this point so that night I cracked one and got an immediate "don't over do it tonight." I nursed every drink gingerly while I got the same annoyed side eye. The rest of the trip was soured for me after that but again people are allowed to have boundaries about this sort of thing, and I understand to someone sober, someone drunk can be obnoxious. That said I felt policed about my drinking while I was supposed to be at a party.

I decided I simply wont drink around this friend group. This choice has backfired spectacularly.

We hung out again and I was offered a beer. I politely declined and this was seen as odd because, as established before, I like to drink with my friends. When asked why I explained that I feel like my drinking makes them uncomfortable and their scrutiny about my drinking makes me uncomfortable so if I remove alcohol from the equation entirely then the issue is resolved. I was called a martyr and childish, I honestly tried not to make a big show of not drinking, just gentle refusal. But they see me saying that "I have other friends I can drink with" as an attack on them. I was asked if I was going to spend New Years with them next year and I was honest and said, "probably not." I turned down a different set of friends this year to go to this thing with them. They see this as me choosing alcohol over them, which isn't true, I want to still be around them, I just won't drink with them.

Everything has been tense since.

AITA for not wanting to drink around them?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

Strong vibes that 'largely sober' here is a euphamism for 'does not have a drinking problem'.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm gonna go with NTA on the drinking one

judgemental people always think they are masters at pretending they're not judgemental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Geez, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'm sober and if a heavy drinking friend of mine decided to stop drinking around me, I'd consider that a positive step.